Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stevekir
    • By Stevekir 12th Jan 19, 4:36 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Stevekir
    UTC or GMT - which is mose accurate?
    • 12th Jan 19, 4:36 PM
    UTC or GMT - which is mose accurate? 12th Jan 19 at 4:36 PM
    I have bought a good quality digital quartz watch and want to check its accuracy. Having set it exactly to a GMT signal on Worldtimserver.com and checking several times a day I notice that the watch changed from 0 (as set) to 1 second slow (varying over 5 to 10 minute periods) to now, 30 hours later it is 4 secs fast (varying over 5 minute periods by +-1 sec.) This variation is disappointing. However, I checked the accuracy of another, much cheaper, quartz digital watch and its timekeeping wandered in exactly the same way over the same 30 hours. It seems unlikely that both watches vary in exactly the same way..

So I wondered if the GMT signal as broadcast itself wavered. To check, I am now timing both watched on UTC as on its site on the Internet and so far the the above variation is absent. I think I will stick to UTC.

What do you think is going on please? Thanks.
    Last edited by Stevekir; 12-01-2019 at 4:55 PM.
Page 2
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 13th Jan 19, 3:45 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    wongataa
    I think you mean 185,000 miles a second. Light can get to the moon and back in just a few seconds.
    Originally posted by tempus_fugit
    It's closer to 186000 miles per second. The actual value is 299792458 metres per second.
    • that
    • By that 13th Jan 19, 4:40 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    that
    Where I work for time sync, we once use the Droitwich time signal, then that got moved and we could no longer get reception.

So we got satellite signal. It worked very well until a gov building .25 miles away installed jammers.

Then came the windows box synced ntp, was heaven for a few month. Then every few months time was adjusted forward or backwards probably by microseconds and the boxed would roll forward 24 hours, then roll back 24 hours. Our MS world can accommodate a 4 minute time difference, so most databases stopped working, and people had account and log in issues too.

this nightmare ceased when we made out time source our cisco core switch (linux based)
    • chiny
    • By chiny 14th Jan 19, 11:45 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    chiny
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Interesting list; I hadn't realised there were so many stations and not all lf. I love that Spanish station with "Exceptions are Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays" which sounds as though someone actually turns up and throws a switch but only on weekdays. Potentially audible in the UK with a decent aerial.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

867Posts Today

7,527Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: Should motorists be taxed more or less? It has been reported 10 councils are considering work? https://t.co/anFmUlSTYz

• Yes MONSOON IS WRONG. Even with sales items you've 14 days to notify of returns & 14 days after that to return 'em? https://t.co/ZCBrcy3pe7

• RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• Follow Martin