Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chloepom
    • By chloepom 12th Jan 19, 2:23 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    chloepom
    Loans without 3 year UK address history?
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:23 PM
    Loans without 3 year UK address history? 12th Jan 19 at 2:23 PM
    I am a dual Aussie and British citizen and have lived in the UK for the last 1.5 years. I'm now looking at getting a loan of about 4000-5000 for a car but it looks like you need at least 3 years of UK address history to be eligible? Does anyone know of any lenders that are a little more lenient with this?
    Last edited by chloepom; 14-01-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    • 33,360 Posts
    • 21,001 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    I am a dual Aussie and British citizen and have lived in the UK for the last 1.5 years. I'm now looking at getting a small loan (4000-5000) for a car but it looks like you need at least 3 years of UK address history to be eligible? Does anyone know of any lenders that are a little more lenient with this?

My credit score is higher than average, I have lived in the same rental property since I moved here, I'm on the electoral role... I'm not sure what else I can do to be given a chance!!
    Originally posted by chloepom

Well luckily your score is only seen by you, lenders see your history.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 13th Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    • 5,120 Posts
    • 4,820 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    I think you'll find that all reputable lenders will expect more than 1.5 years residence before granting a loan. I had the same problem when I moved to the USA, but in the end was helped out by a friendly and trusting bank manager. Have you tried your UK bank? Actually going in and talking to someone rather than applying on line?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • chloepom
    • By chloepom 14th Jan 19, 8:38 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chloepom
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:38 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:38 AM
    Interest rates through my bank are pretty high but I think it might be my only option, thanks!
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 14th Jan 19, 9:30 AM
    • 6,502 Posts
    • 4,001 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:30 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:30 AM
    Maybe get quotes for car finance, they tend to be a bit more willing to loan money than a bank as they can simply take away the car from you if you stop paying
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 14th Jan 19, 10:23 AM
    • 5,361 Posts
    • 5,477 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:23 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:23 AM
    I am a dual Aussie and British citizen and have lived in the UK for the last 1.5 years. I'm now looking at getting a small loan (4000-5000) for a car but it looks like you need at least 3 years of UK address history to be eligible? Does anyone know of any lenders that are a little more lenient with this?

My credit score is higher than average, I have lived in the same rental property since I moved here, I'm on the electoral role... I'm not sure what else I can do to be given a chance!!
    Originally posted by chloepom
    A loan of 4/5k is NOT a small loan.

When you have diddly squat, it's a massive amount.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • chloepom
    • By chloepom 14th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chloepom
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    A loan of 4/5k is NOT a small loan.

When you have diddly squat, it's a massive amount.
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    Fair enough... compared to friends of mine who have had loans or finance around 10000 I consider it a small amount but thanks for your opinion??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin