Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 12th Jan 19, 2:02 PM
    • 628Posts
    • 118Thanks
    justaquestion
    Paypal auto updating Credit cards details.
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:02 PM
    Paypal auto updating Credit cards details. 12th Jan 19 at 2:02 PM
    Hi folks,

I got a reminder from paypal to update my CC details as it was nearing expiry date, received the new CC from bank today and surprised to have got a new email from paypal saying that they auto updated it. Did update it on amazon but seems paypal have the know how to update it...Normal enough?

Thanks.

here is the email.

Your card is updated and ready for use.

We took care of the details so you don't have to.

We've updated the expiry date for your Mastercard x-****. We did this to make sure the card is ready to be used when you need it.
    You can log in to PayPal to see the updates but you don't need to do anything else.
    Here's some additional information:

• If this card was your preferred way to pay online, nothing will have changed. You can always change this preference in your account settings.
    • If you had pre-approved payments set up with the old card, those payments will now be made with the updated card.
    Thanks for using PayPal.
Page 1
    • libra10
    • By libra10 12th Jan 19, 2:10 PM
    • 11,379 Posts
    • 250,182 Thanks
    libra10
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:10 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:10 PM
    My husband also received an email from Paypal a day or so ago, regarding updating his Visa debit card details.

The previous day he had received a new debit card from our bank, which had a new number.

He went to Paypal (not using the email link) and inserted the new card number.

We were unaware that this could be done automatically by Paypal, unless the card number is the same.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 13th Jan 19, 12:01 PM
    • 8,056 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    martindow
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:01 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:01 PM
    I think they make an educated guess and assume that the long number will not change. They must have enough data to know what expiry dates on new cards are likely to be.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Jan 19, 6:32 PM
    • 28,724 Posts
    • 11,745 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:32 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:32 PM
    My RAC renews every year without me providing any additional data.

My car insurance just ask for the 3 digit code.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 13th Jan 19, 6:35 PM
    • 2,101 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:35 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:35 PM
    You have set the card up using a continuous payment authority (CPA). (Search the forums to see people moaning about the downsides!). They are allowed to ask the bank for your current details when the old one expires. This is in the terms you did not read ;-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

849Posts Today

6,715Users online

Martin's Twitter