Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thetriggerhappypwner
    • By thetriggerhappypwner 12th Jan 19, 2:02 PM
    • 233Posts
    • 85Thanks
    thetriggerhappypwner
    EDF Energy and penalties...
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:02 PM
    EDF Energy and penalties... 12th Jan 19 at 2:02 PM
    Hello MSE fans!

I was hoping to get some advice here.

I have been with EDF Energy since around February 2016, and despite getting a reasonable deal of around 11p per kWh, that has jumpped to more than 17p now. I have discovered that they offer cheaper deals, but ONLY if you hand over your bank details so they can take whatever they want when they want.

My point is this, they have a deal for 14.(something)p per kWh, but only if you pay by direct debit, but charge what I feel is a penalty for not giving your bank details.

What I am being charged has slowly increased and it is now on the border of having to sacrifice my heating to keep my bills down. I have done everything to try and reduce my consumption, this includes, converting all of my lights and lamps to LED, turning off everything that I dont use, only leaving on my low consumption entertainment center, in standby, with everything on, it draws around 10 to 15 watts...

I will never know why my bills keep going up despite making these changes to cut back, like converting my lights to LED.

Why does it appear that energy companies are allowed to charge a penalty for not handing over your bank details to them to effectively take out what they want when they want?

I am on a fixed income, I cannot do DD, because, I cannot garuntee the payment. I have paid every 2 weeks a specific amount, and since joining them in February 2016, I have never ended up owing them any money, it has always been them that have owed me money like they do now, at close to 200!

That was the feeble excuse thay came up with as well. "If you dont pay by direct debit, we cannot garuntee the payment", and that gives them the right to charge more for energy? This is a penalty and I am sure it is unlawful.

Anyone?
    Last edited by thetriggerhappypwner; 12-01-2019 at 2:10 PM.
Page 2
    • thetriggerhappypwner
    • By thetriggerhappypwner 13th Jan 19, 11:22 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    thetriggerhappypwner
    I am still totally confused as to why you pay them every 2 weeks, are you now in arrears and clearing a balance ?

Why did you overpay to such an extent that you were 500 in credit ?

How often do you read the meter and get billed ?
    Originally posted by The Fat Controller
    I am not keen on releasing personal details regarding my circumstances or my specific position. Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR, I will not be disclosing that information.

Suffice to say that I have a 2 weekly income, I pay a particular amount every 2 weeks on my card, which is purposely slightly more than I am being asked for to help cover winter bills. Aparrently, we are expecting a long freeze in this country in the next few weeks. So in some respects, this credit is a good thing, but the unit rates are aoutrageous! I cannot understand why a "penalty" is imposed for not hading over my bank details, and then 5% on top of that for VAT. That adds around 30 to my energy bill in PENALTIES!!!!!

I am the better part of 200 in credit with my supplier, and that is more than enough to cover my bills at this stage. I just dont believe that EDF have any right to charge more because I don't feel keen on handing them my bank details, I have had a bad experience in the past with that payment method, and paid dearly for it. I am sure that anyone can appreciate this.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 14th Jan 19, 12:00 AM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 2,740 Thanks
    harz99
    OP, you're wasting both your time and the good people on here's time - either go the DD route or stop complaining and cough up for your chosen route, they are simple choices but yours, and yours alone to make.
    • The Fat Controller
    • By The Fat Controller 14th Jan 19, 7:18 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    The Fat Controller
    100% agree with @harz99

You are not being penalised, you are paying the rate that is applicable to the payment method you have chosen.

If you pay by Direct Debit different rates may be offered, it's the same with any supplier.

You can quote GDPR and Data Protection as much as you like, but if you are unable to answer a simple question like "how often do you read the meter and get billed" then I give up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,310Posts Today

6,883Users online

Martin's Twitter