Unexpected debit card U Mastercard

Options

Comments

• Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you, so possibly some kind of scam then. I have sent them a longer email because of the 'prepaid' element and because I have won perfectly legitimate prepaid cards in the past. I haven't logged in because the log in requires my email and password and I don't have a password. I will see what comes back from the email.

I am very glad of your warning as it is clear that I would need to ensure that I close the card even if it is a prepaid.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Prudent
    Options
    I have edited the heading as the search bought up this thread, so I am hoping they may get back to me:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760491
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good find! The post by the U rep sounds very helpful - although they only posted once, in over a year!

Let us know what you can establish
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    unaison wrote: »
    Check your credit files,

As in post 4?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As in post 4?
    That will be someone trying to bump up their post count so they can post spam links.
  • Prudent
    Options
    From reading the post I linked to, my credit files will be unaffected. U doesn't do credit checks as they don't offfer any credit such as over drafts or loans. I will update the thread when I get any information in case anyone else has the same issue. Thank you to everyone who has contributed.
  • Prudent
    edited 12 January 2019 at 8:28PM
    Options
    Hmm more interesting...

I did a credit search and it produced two unexpected things:

on the 9th by Frfrees financial services who seem to be linked to U. It is labelled anti money laundering.

The other by Paddy power bookmakers also anti money laundering. This was today. I don't gamble. I am not sure what to do about the latter.

Edit: I have contacted Paddy power. They confirmed that an account had been set up and that their fraud team have now closed it down. It wasn't linked to any credit cards.
  • alphabravocharli
    Options
    Then i think your ID is compromised, its better to add yourself to CIFAS to safeguard you against fraud.
    Prudent wrote: »
    Hmm more interesting...

I did a credit search and it produced two unexpected things:

on the 9th by Frfrees financial services who seem to be linked to U. It is labelled anti money laundering.

The other by Paddy power bookmakers also anti money laundering. This was today. I don't gamble. I am not sure what to do about the latter.

Edit: I have contacted Paddy power. They confirmed that an account had been set up and that their fraud team have now closed it down. It wasn't linked to any credit cards.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's definitely something untoward going on. Good you have spotted it now, before any damage can be done. Watch your accounts and your credit files like a hawk. A CIFAS protective registration might be a good idea though it's probably a PITA as it will create issues for any applications that you want to make.

Do a health check:
    1. PC clear of virus and keyloggers?
    2. all logins to any of your accounts still working ok?
    3. should passwords be changed?
    4. are all your debit and credit cards where they should be?
    5. are all the transactions on your bank accounts and credit cards known to you
    6. check important accounts, incl credit files, at least weekly for the next few weeks
    7. can anyone have access to your postal deliveries?

There's probably lots more to do than I can think of off the top of my head. Do you happen to have ID Fraud protection with your Home Insurance, or with a bank account or card provider? Also the credit file people might be able to help you with tips, and a checklist.

Do you know anyone who likes online gambling? May be their Paddypower account got closed and they were trying to use one in your name, to continue using it for themselves? Perhaps they wanted to fund it with the U card - - if they could lay their hand on that card you received?

Hope all works out alright. It sounds a rather unwelcome nuisance.
  • Prudent
    Options
    Then i think your ID is compromised, its better to add yourself to CIFAS to safeguard you against fraud.

I just tried to do this, but their website seemed to stop loading half way through. I will keep trying. Thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure