Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 12th Jan 19, 1:37 PM
    • 11,230Posts
    • 48,921Thanks
    Prudent
    Unexpected debit card U Mastercard
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:37 PM
    Unexpected debit card U Mastercard 12th Jan 19 at 1:37 PM
    I have just received a Mastercard contactless debit card through the post from a bank (?) called U. I had never heard of them and certainly have not tried to open an account with them. I have used their contact page to message them. There are no phone numbers and no live chat (unless you log in). I am assuming this is some kind of fraud attempt. Has anyone else had any experience of this?
    Last edited by Prudent; 12-01-2019 at 3:14 PM.
Page 2
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 12th Jan 19, 8:40 PM
    • 11,230 Posts
    • 48,921 Thanks
    Prudent
    Then i think your ID is compromised, its better to add yourself to CIFAS to safeguard you against fraud.
    Originally posted by alphabravocharli
    I just tried to do this, but their website seemed to stop loading half way through. I will keep trying. Thank you
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 12th Jan 19, 8:51 PM
    • 11,230 Posts
    • 48,921 Thanks
    Prudent
    Colsten thank you so much for such a full reply. I have been considering all those points and how I will act on them. I can't get the CIFAS page to submit just now, but will keep trying. I have contacted Action fraud and Experian. I will phone round my account providers tomorrow. I have a long term significant illness and am struggling to do anything more just now. I think I need to go to bed and start again tomorrow. Thank you again.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 12th Jan 19, 8:52 PM
    • 11,369 Posts
    • 8,986 Thanks
    masonic
    Do a health check:
    1. PC clear of virus and keyloggers?
    Originally posted by colsten
    TBH, I would do a format-reinstall of any computer used for internet banking and a factory reset of any smartphones just as a precaution. Be sure to back up your treasured files first!
    Last edited by masonic; 12-01-2019 at 8:54 PM.
    • No_6
    • By No_6 12th Jan 19, 9:17 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    No_6
    now into IT
    • colsten
    • By colsten 12th Jan 19, 10:02 PM
    • 9,946 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    colsten
    Colsten thank you so much for such a full reply. I have been considering all those points and how I will act on them. I can't get the CIFAS page to submit just now, but will keep trying. I have contacted Action fraud and Experian. I will phone round my account providers tomorrow. I have a long term significant illness and am struggling to do anything more just now. I think I need to go to bed and start again tomorrow. Thank you again.
    Originally posted by Prudent
    Very good action to report it to ActionFraud as this will be part of the proof you can provide, if needed, that you took action. Worth keeping a log of who you notified when, as it will be difficult to remember later on. Make a note of actual names of people you spoke to, and the time, in case you need them to dig out recordings at a later stage.

Don't panic though. You haven't lost any money so far, and with the actions you are now taking, it will hopefully stay that way.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,266Posts Today

6,760Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin