Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tlc11
    • By Tlc11 12th Jan 19, 1:09 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 50Thanks
    Tlc11
    0 WOW
    London to Perth flights - best time to book?
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:09 PM
    0 WOW
    London to Perth flights - best time to book? 12th Jan 19 at 1:09 PM
    Hello, looking for some advice please. I would like to book 2 adults, 13 year old, 5 year old and 1 year old flights from London to Perth. Dates are December (18/19 or 20) to January 4/5. Some airlines have released prices already, it's showing as 4k with 2 stops or 6k direct.

We have never been before so I don't know what is good in terms of prices or when the best time to book is. Skyscanner website seems to suggest September booking is best price wise but I'm not sure I want to leave it that long as we need to book accomodation too.

So basically my questions are, what would be a good price to pay for the above, and how far in advance should I book for the best deal?

Also interested to hear from anyone who has flown the direct route and if it is a better option with small children

Thank you!
Page 1
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 12th Jan 19, 2:28 PM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:28 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:28 PM
    Seats for these dates are at a premium, you are talking of the highest price throughout the year and the direct flights will sell very quickly. The sales are on now, if you have to travel within those dates, book as soon as you can. Fares can vary enormously depending on how fast you want to get there, and in what level of comfort. The fastest is obviously Qantas non-stop, Qatar is already at almost 1500 for those dates pp so I would get booking ASAP. Cathay Pacific also has good fares but a very long stopover in HK on the way back.

If you leave it to September you will have the back seats in a Chinese or Vietnamese airline available but everything else will be either sold out or at 2000 plus for adults
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 12th Jan 19, 2:34 PM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 7,610 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:34 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:34 PM
    are you booking a seat for the baby also?
    • Tlc11
    • By Tlc11 12th Jan 19, 4:36 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Tlc11
    • 12th Jan 19, 4:36 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 4:36 PM
    Thank you - I suspected the earlier the better. Qantas only has outbound dates released but no January as yet. Might be an idea to just get in quickly.

I didn't price for another seat for the baby as 1. Will push the price up substantially 2. He will probably spend most of the time sitting on my lap as he usually does and 3. When I have travelled long haul with a baby before I have had lovely bulk head seats. In saying that, it does make me very nervous that the journey will be very uncomfortable!
    • Tlc11
    • By Tlc11 12th Jan 19, 5:45 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Tlc11
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:45 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:45 PM
    Malaysia airlines is very reasonable priced 😕 not sure I could...
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 12th Jan 19, 5:57 PM
    • 19,989 Posts
    • 46,296 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:57 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:57 PM
    My mum usually books 8-10 months in advance but goes in Oct/Nov, depending on the best price. She usually goes Emirates, she did use Qatar for a while when the price was good but the service declined recently.

The last trip they made in November they came home on the non-stop Qantas PER-LHR, her first words when she stepped off the plane were 'never again'. It took her and my dad a week at least to feel normal, they had fuzzy heads and generally felt 'off', and this is someone who has made the journey regularly for the last 14 years, so well used to the flight. She said the break in the journey just to breath fresh air and have a proper walk is much better. They flew business class, so I hate to think how much worse it would have been in economy.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 12th Jan 19, 6:09 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,271 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 12th Jan 19, 6:09 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 6:09 PM
    A grand per head for the absolutely busiest and most expensive time of the year is good!
    For comparison a family member just booked a return to Brisbane for next month at under 700 (with Etihad, one stop).
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • Tlc11
    • By Tlc11 12th Jan 19, 6:47 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Tlc11
    • 12th Jan 19, 6:47 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 6:47 PM
    This is really useful information, thank you. The non stop flight does concern me. In theory it sounds great. But in reality, being stuck in a cabin with recirculated air and nowhere to properly stretch your legs for 17 hours does sound difficult. Throw 3 children into the mix and it could be a real headache.

Singapore seem to have some decent prices and times. Does anyone have any experience of them?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Jan 19, 7:02 PM
    • 15,552 Posts
    • 21,643 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:02 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:02 PM
    We fly that route with Singapore fairly regularly. Note that their cheapest economy prices are now stripped down to the basics. So, no luggage, seat selection, cancellation or date changes.

They haven't released prices for your dates yet though.

Edit: My wife's sister uses the non-stop Qantas flight out of choice and loves it. You do pay a premium though. Around 500 p/p extra when I have looked.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 12-01-2019 at 7:05 PM.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 13th Jan 19, 9:58 AM
    • 19,574 Posts
    • 25,536 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    This is really useful information, thank you. The non stop flight does concern me. In theory it sounds great. But in reality, being stuck in a cabin with recirculated air and nowhere to properly stretch your legs for 17 hours does sound difficult. Throw 3 children into the mix and it could be a real headache.

Singapore seem to have some decent prices and times. Does anyone have any experience of them?
    Originally posted by Tlc11
    We fly that route with Singapore fairly regularly. Note that their cheapest economy prices are now stripped down to the basics. So, no luggage, seat selection, cancellation or date changes.

They haven't released prices for your dates yet though.

Edit: My wife's sister uses the non-stop Qantas flight out of choice and loves it. You do pay a premium though. Around 500 p/p extra when I have looked.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom

Hi OP the age of TC the youngest is going to have a financial impact on your trip. Once the littlest sprog turns 2, he/she will need its own seat - up to age 2 he/she could sit on your lap (IMO, stump up for a seat for TC the Younger, then you can enjoy the flights as well)
    Singapore Airlines will be releasing tickets for in 2 days for 4th Jan, 3 days for 5th (if they follow their current pattern). Other airlines like Emirates look 2 be 3- 4 weeks away from publishing their fares.

Singapores website shows that you'll get 30kg baggage allowance per passenger (but seat selection will cost).
    It may not be something that you have considered, but have a look at going down the positioning flight route - the savings MAY be considerable, but you'll only know when enough airlines have posted their fares, for you to make a valid comparison.

Happy Fare Hunting.

• Tlc11
    • By Tlc11 13th Jan 19, 12:44 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Tlc11
    How would I go about booking a positioning route trip? Where do I search for such a thing?

Sorry if that's a really silly question with an obvious answer!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Jan 19, 1:05 PM
    • 15,552 Posts
    • 21,643 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Singapores website shows that you'll get 30kg baggage allowance per passenger (but seat selection will cost).
    Originally posted by Murphy_The_Cat
    When I checked the day before yesterday, there were three Economy options shown for the Heathrow to Perth route: Economy Light (no seat, no luggage), Economy Standard (seat in the back of the economy cabin and luggage inc.) and Economy Flexi (seat in the front part of the cabin, luggage inc.).
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 13-01-2019 at 2:56 PM.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Jan 19, 1:09 PM
    • 15,552 Posts
    • 21,643 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    How would I go about booking a positioning route trip? Where do I search for such a thing?

Sorry if that's a really silly question with an obvious answer!
    Use a site such as Skyscanner and just enter Amsterdam (for example) to Perth instead of London to Perth. Try it from various easy to get to European cities.

Be aware that there are risks and positioning can eat into valuable holiday time.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Jan 19, 1:23 PM
    • 15,552 Posts
    • 21,643 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I didn't price for another seat for the baby as 1. Will push the price up substantially 2. He will probably spend most of the time sitting on my lap as he usually does and 3. When I have travelled long haul with a baby before I have had lovely bulk head seats. In saying that, it does make me very nervous that the journey will be very uncomfortable!
    On our last trip, the couple sitting adjacent to us spent the whole 13 hour flight kneeling on the floor tending to every need to their small children who were sitting in the seats. Neither of them rested or slept a wink. It was actually quite tiring to watch (and listen to) and a complete contrast to the couple with two small children sitting next to them who just let their children sleep.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 13th Jan 19, 2:40 PM
    • 18,841 Posts
    • 7,931 Thanks
    richardw
    Singapore airlines say the following about bassinets

“Bassinets
    We encourage you to request for a bassinet when you book an infant ticket, as only a limited number of bassinets are available on board and offered on a first-come, first-served basis.

Each bassinet measures at 768mm (L) x 298mm (W) x 158mm (H), and can support a maximum weight of 14kg.”

Do you think your youngest will be small enough for a bassinet in January 2019?

Btw some airlines have Sky/Flying nannies https://www.etihad.com/en-gb/experience-etihad/family-travel/onboard/

My favourite long haul aircraft is upstairs on an A380 aircraft, it’s very quiet, I always sleep well. They are often configured 2-4-2 in Economy so the 4 seats in the middle could be great for you.
    Last edited by richardw; 13-01-2019 at 2:46 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 13th Jan 19, 2:43 PM
    • 19,574 Posts
    • 25,536 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    When I checked the day before yesterday, there were three Economy options shown for the Heathrow to Perth route: Economy Light (no seat, no luggage), Economy Standard (seat in the back of the economy cabin and 30kg luggage inc.) and Economy Flexi (seat in the front part of the cabin, luggage inc.).

How peculier.
    I've just done a dummy booking on the Singapore website and every travel class got a 30kg luggage allowance in economy (including Lite).

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Jan 19, 2:47 PM
    • 15,552 Posts
    • 21,643 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    How peculier.
    I've just done a dummy booking on the Singapore website and every travel class got a 30kg luggage allowance in economy (including Lite).
    Originally posted by Murphy_The_Cat
    I'm currently in the middle of doing an actual booking. I daren't go back and check the options in case it ccks it all up!

Edit: You are right. Lite does include luggage. Not sure how I missed that.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 13-01-2019 at 2:54 PM.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 13th Jan 19, 3:10 PM
    • 19,574 Posts
    • 25,536 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Use a site such as Skyscanner and just enter Amsterdam (for example) to Perth instead of London to Perth. Try it from various easy to get to European cities.

Be aware that there are risks and positioning can eat into valuable holiday time.

OP, The savings can be VERY considerable as you go up the travel classes (e.g if you travel Business Class form the UK, each passenger gets spanked for 150each for Air Passenger Duty, whereas a Business Class ticket from (say) Amsterdam is 0.00. Plus due to the bizarre way that flights are priced up, it can be considerably cheaper to travel a longer distance e.g. Amsterdam - LHR - New York on BA rather than LHR - New York, even though you'll be on the same plane from LHR to New York.
    The savings on 1st/Business will be the largest, the saving on Economy can still be considerable.

Gloomendoom is absolutely spot on when he/she mentions the risks and also eating into your holiday time.
    Its not just the costs of the positioning flight, its also potentially the hotel accommodation at the positioning airport (possibly) pre and post you "main" flight, plus incidentals like munchies. Its not for everyone and if you're tight for your holiday allowance, it may not be something that would work for you.

For my next "big holiday", we're taking positioning flights to Scandinavia, having a night in a hotel and travelling Business Class and still have over 1000 left over, compared to travelling to the same destination on Premium Economy from Manchester.

The flight cost from Manchester is more than double the flight cost from Stockholm - and we link up with same plane in Singapore !

I'm currently in the middle of doing an actual booking. I daren't go back and check the options in case it ccks it all up!

If you want to check on it, without it cocking up your booking, do you have another browser/tablet that you could use ? Good luck with your booking !
    Last edited by Murphy_The_Cat; 13-01-2019 at 3:33 PM.

• Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 13th Jan 19, 3:15 PM
    • 19,574 Posts
    • 25,536 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat

Edit: You are right. Lite does include luggage. Not sure how I missed that.

Astonishingly (to me) on my next flight, Singapore Airlines have given us 2 x 20kg luggage allowance for each person and we're on Economy Lite !

• comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 13th Jan 19, 3:32 PM
    • 2,371 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    comeandgo
    My daughter and family fly long haul and pay to have the extra seat with their 18 month old. The bassinets are too small for an active child. They fly emirates. We have flown emirates and Singapore air and Singapore air win hands down between the two.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,382Posts Today

8,061Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin