Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • castle96
    • By castle96 12th Jan 19, 1:09 PM
    • 1,735Posts
    • 293Thanks
    castle96
    Hyundi Tuscon in snow
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:09 PM
    Hyundi Tuscon in snow 12th Jan 19 at 1:09 PM
    many reviews mention that they useless in snow (even frost) and that they have to resort to another car.
    Surely they cant be that bad ! Down to tyres fitted,, not the car...

Anyone had one ?
Page 1
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 12th Jan 19, 1:20 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:20 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:20 PM
    Get winter tyres and it'll be fine.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 12th Jan 19, 1:22 PM
    • 11,564 Posts
    • 6,596 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:22 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:22 PM
    It's all swings n roundabouts, if the car in front is stuck and you are unable to pass, then you are stuck too.
    • castle96
    • By castle96 12th Jan 19, 1:58 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    castle96
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:58 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:58 PM
    if there's no car in front and I'm still stuck...

Anyone had one of these ?? Any experience re the Q ?
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 12th Jan 19, 2:21 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    JP1978
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:21 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:21 PM
    Mind that many of them will be 2WD so ensure you check that on the reviews. So the answers above may well be valid as been down to the tyres even more so.
    • castle96
    • By castle96 12th Jan 19, 2:31 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    castle96
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:31 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:31 PM
    yes 2wd as described. Nearly all cars are. Mine is but seems so many probs with this make
    • happybiker
    • By happybiker 12th Jan 19, 2:44 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    happybiker
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:44 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:44 PM
    Most cars fitted with traction control struggle in the snow. learn how to turn it off when needed (and fit winter tyres as previously suggested)

It will then drive as good as most cars on the road.

The problem with modern cars is that they are so feature loaded that drivers seem to operate them without any thought forb how they work.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 12th Jan 19, 4:07 PM
    • 11,564 Posts
    • 6,596 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 12th Jan 19, 4:07 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 4:07 PM
    Most cars fitted with traction control struggle in the snow. learn how to turn it off when needed (and fit winter tyres as previously suggested)

It will then drive as good as most cars on the road.

The problem with modern cars is that they are so feature loaded that drivers seem to operate them without any thought forb how they work.
    Originally posted by happybiker
    Indeed, I've had little trouble in the rare snow we get with economy summer tyres.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 12th Jan 19, 5:05 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 2,919 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:05 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:05 PM
    My brother has a 4wd Tuscan and admits its very poor in snow, he blames the tyres. I had a look at them and they are M+S tyres, so full winters. I don't know why it's poor, he has had previous 4x4's and even says a Dacia Duster 4x4 is much better. Possibly it is down to TC.
    • happybiker
    • By happybiker 12th Jan 19, 5:22 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    happybiker
    My brother has a 4wd Tuscan and admits its very poor in snow, he blames the tyres. I had a look at them and they are M+S tyres, so full winters. I don't know why it's poor, he has had previous 4x4's and even says a Dacia Duster 4x4 is much better. Possibly it is down to TC.
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous

Ask him if he knows how to switch the TC system off. I'll bet he doesn't. a major problem is that on most modern cars , the TC system resets itself on turning the ignition off . it's a right ball ache to have to turn it off every time one starts the car.

ABS is just as bad in slippery conditions but the EU have decided in it's wisdom, that all cars will have it.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Jan 19, 6:13 PM
    • 28,396 Posts
    • 11,568 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Often its the driver and the lack of control on the throttle.

Last year there was a woman who was revving the guts out of her car to get it going in the snow. She didnt seem to realise that it started moving forward as she released the throttle. But by that time she had lifted and applied the brakes.

So max revs spinning the wheels or hard on the brakes. Not the way to drive in the snow. Gentle and steady.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Jan 19, 6:13 PM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 3,251 Thanks
    Tarambor
    My brother has a 4wd Tuscan and admits its very poor in snow, he blames the tyres. I had a look at them and they are M+S tyres, so full winters.
    No, M&S doesn't automatically mean they're full winters. The last M&S tyres I had on are not like the winter tyres you get today. They'll get you through mud and deep snow but they're not worth a toss on roads on snow that has been driven on as they don't have sipes in their tread to cut into the snow. The pattern is also not conusive to packing in the snow between the blocks which decent winter tyres do as snow on snow is the grippiest solution.

Typical mud and snow tyre:

Winter tyre:

See how the winter tyre has more slits in the tread blocks which grip into the snow and how the tread pattern has far more area of tread block edges at right angles to the direction of travel?

If the tread pattern isn't similar to the bottom tyre its not full winter.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 12-01-2019 at 6:21 PM.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 12th Jan 19, 6:40 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    force ten
    just because a tyre says M&S it is not necessarily a winter tyres

the name mud and snow tyre makes many think it is a winter tyre but often they are not, a winter Tyre will have an M&S rating and also have a mountain and snowflake rating

The AA say

Some 'M+S' (mud and snow) tyres sold in the UK are summer tyres which wouldn’t meet the requirements below, even though the sidewall marking might suggest that they do.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 13th Jan 19, 2:36 AM
    • 718 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    debtdebt
    It's all swings n roundabouts, if the car in front is stuck and you are unable to pass, then you are stuck too.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    I've actually stopped driving altogether now in the fear that the car in front of my breaks down and I am unable to pass.
    • rob7475
    • By rob7475 13th Jan 19, 6:13 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    rob7475
    I've got an IX35 (previous incarnation of the Tucson). On it's standard tyres, it's not great. This is probably down to the standard tyres being designed for economy rather than grip.

Every winter, I swap the tyres for Vredestein Snowtracs. I live in a hilly bit of yorkshire and have never been stuck. My driveway is a very steep uphill climb to get out and the car always gets through is.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 13th Jan 19, 7:58 AM
    • 8,851 Posts
    • 8,172 Thanks
    Herzlos
    I had an older 4wd one and it seemed capable enough with winter tyres. A bit skittish but it did the job.

What problem are you finding? Trouble moving off, stopping or turning?
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 13th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 11,564 Posts
    • 6,596 Thanks
    DUTR
    I've actually stopped driving altogether now in the fear that the car in front of my breaks down and I am unable to pass.
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    Bit of a knee jerk reaction eh?
    The I'm alright jack thing doesn't really work around town when there is heavy settled snow about, the one year Birmingham came to a gridlock for many hours as snow had come down in the afternoon before peak traffic times, I walked the 6 miles home, but it was well documented that there were commuters stuck for more than 6hrs, whether you had a land rover or super 4*4 with the latest winter tyres, you were going NOWHERE fast.
    • keith1950
    • By keith1950 13th Jan 19, 11:09 AM
    • 2,560 Posts
    • 1,156 Thanks
    keith1950
    As far as heavy snow goes most newer SUV's don't have 4wd but have AW drive that only kicks in when the front wheels spin and only for as long as they're spinning.
    I have both types and the older 4WD are definitely better in snow.
    I've never needed "winter tyres" on either.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 14th Jan 19, 2:27 PM
    • 7,700 Posts
    • 3,158 Thanks
    almillar
    Often its the driver and the lack of control on the throttle.
    Take the driver out of the equation - use the same driver.

Put him in a big top heavy 2WD Tucson on the standard (summer) tyres. See how he gets on in the snow.

Now, same test, except it's a Hyundai i10 - 2WD, standard (summer) tyres. I think he'll do better in the i10.

The advantage these big cars usually have is 4WD, and ground clearance, and rarely these days, off road tyres. Now most of them (and Hyundai and Kia are some of the most guilty) are high up cars - higher and heavier but with no more grip.

I've got an IX35 (previous incarnation of the Tucson)
    No - I think the IX35 is smaller, and equivalent to Kia's Sportage.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 14th Jan 19, 3:13 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Take the driver out of the equation - use the same driver.

Put him in a big top heavy 2WD Tucson on the standard (summer) tyres. See how he gets on in the snow.

Now, same test, except it's a Hyundai i10 - 2WD, standard (summer) tyres. I think he'll do better in the i10.

The advantage these big cars usually have is 4WD, and ground clearance, and rarely these days, off road tyres. Now most of them (and Hyundai and Kia are some of the most guilty) are high up cars - higher and heavier but with no more grip.

No - I think the IX35 is smaller, and equivalent to Kia's Sportage.
    Originally posted by almillar
    No. I spend a lot of time in Korea - in fact I am there now. Korea never had a model called the ix35. The Tucson was identical to the European ix35 of the same vintage. The Tucson is equivalent to the Sportage, correct as the next model up is the Sante Fe which is equivalent to the Sorento which has a 5 and 7 seat version.
    The Korean market now has a bigger car than the Santa Fe called the Palisade. It is huge.
    Last edited by Mercdriver; 14-01-2019 at 3:15 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,550Posts Today

9,528Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Perhaps the only thing we truly learn from this poll is we are generally optimistic. Most Brexiteers think Brexit w? https://t.co/DoosVRvneE

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ??Join the UK's biggest consumer website ??Make a difference ??Work with brilliant journalists ??Collaborate with top b?

• Today's Twitter poll: Do you believe the UK will leave the European Union in 2019? PS. Twitter/my following tends? https://t.co/U3DknxaJOG

• Follow Martin