Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ek5932
    • By ek5932 12th Jan 19, 12:55 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ek5932
    Bathroom Refit
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:55 PM
    Bathroom Refit 12th Jan 19 at 12:55 PM
    Hey Guys,

I'm planning to get my bathroom refitted - it's a pretty decent size job. I just got a quote from a plumber and it's 6.5k for labour excluding the woodwork/electrical which sounds pretty high. It's not a bog standard re-fit, I'm doing the following:

+ Replacing the existing bath/units/rad/toilet
    + Having the two exposed walls insulated
    + Having a new ceiling fitted
    + Floor-to-ceiling tiles (only the ceiling wont be tiled)
    + Moving the toilet waste pipe (it's difficult to get to outside due to a pitched roof)
    + Extending the plumbing into the attic for the future for a loft conversion
    + Dry underfloor heating
    + Having a new wet-room fitted (upstairs so will need to be cut into the joists. There's no existing shower so all the plumbing will need to be added)

It's a fair amount of work, but 6.5k still seems like a lot. Does anyone have any idea if it sounds about right?

Cheers
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 12th Jan 19, 1:44 PM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 5,896 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:44 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:44 PM
    Hey Guys,

I'm planning to get my bathroom refitted - it's a pretty decent size job. I just got a quote from a plumber and it's 6.5k for labour excluding the woodwork/electrical which sounds pretty high. It's not a bog standard re-fit, I'm doing the following:

+ Replacing the existing bath/units/rad/toilet
    + Having the two exposed walls insulated
    + Having a new ceiling fitted
    + Floor-to-ceiling tiles (only the ceiling wont be tiled)
    + Moving the toilet waste pipe (it's difficult to get to outside due to a pitched roof)
    + Extending the plumbing into the attic for the future for a loft conversion
    + Dry underfloor heating
    + Having a new wet-room fitted (upstairs so will need to be cut into the joists. There's no existing shower so all the plumbing will need to be added)

It's a fair amount of work, but 6.5k still seems like a lot. Does anyone have any idea if it sounds about right?

Cheers
    Originally posted by ek5932

For that amount of work, I wouldn't say that £6.5K is excessive. Have you obtained any other quotes?
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 12th Jan 19, 2:25 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 1,495 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:25 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:25 PM
    £6.5 doesn't sound excessive to me, it actually sounds quite low/reasonable.
    Where in the country are you?

I'd get some other quotes, and if you know anyone who has also used them then go and look at their work.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 12th Jan 19, 3:38 PM
    • 3,215 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 12th Jan 19, 3:38 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 3:38 PM
    What knowledge and experience do you have that makes you feel it's excessive? "Excessive" is not the same as "more than I thought it would be."
    • Homersimpson
    • By Homersimpson 13th Jan 19, 11:34 AM
    • 392 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Homersimpson
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:34 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:34 AM
    Just be aware if you extend hot and cold water services to the loft for a future conversion these shouldn't be connected, its important not to have any dead legs on hot and cold water pipe work to reduce the risk of legionella.

There is a limit for dead legs which I recall is 150mm, you may find a lot of domestic grade plumbers are not aware of this.
    I have a lot of problems with my neighbours, they hammer and bang on the walls sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning - some nights I can hardly hear myself drilling
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,162Posts Today

6,949Users online

Martin's Twitter