Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • freeman3030
    • By freeman3030 12th Jan 19, 12:50 PM
    • 202Posts
    • 91Thanks
    freeman3030
    Smart home but tech & house sale
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:50 PM
    Smart home but tech & house sale 12th Jan 19 at 12:50 PM
    Hi all, we will soon have our house on the market and I'm really looking forward to moving home. However over the past 3 years of living at this house we've bought lots of Phillips hue light bulbs, nest cameras etc. When someone comes to view, the lights will come on automatically on the landing as it's quite dark and depending on whether it's an overcast day or not the kitchen and hallway lights may come on. I intenend to take the bulbs with me but is that something to declare in the paperwork? Likewise, the video doorbell. Because it's fixed to the wall outside is it expected that it would remain if not stated otherwise?
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Jan 19, 1:08 PM
    • 33,355 Posts
    • 20,999 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:08 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:08 PM
    Just mention in the paperwork what your taking or leaving behind, jobs a good in.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 12th Jan 19, 1:14 PM
    • 10,182 Posts
    • 10,553 Thanks
    Linton
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:14 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:14 PM
    I think it would be better to uninstall the equipment and replace it by basic but decent kit that works and fits in with the house decor prior to putting the house on the market. At least replace the bulbs with ordinary ones and put in a simple doorbell. Dont leave dangling wires, non functioning light switches etc.

A buyer would have every reason to believe that what they see is what they get in the case of light fittings and doorbells, unless you make it very clear that this is not the case both during the viewing and in the fixtures& fittings form. You avoid any subsequent hassles and ill feeling by uninstalling the smart stuff first.
    • freeman3030
    • By freeman3030 12th Jan 19, 1:22 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    freeman3030
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:22 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:22 PM
    I thought that might be best, it's a fine line sometimes to know where you stand. At least if it's not there, they don't know what they were missing.

Many thanks
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Jan 19, 1:23 PM
    • 46,524 Posts
    • 56,490 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:23 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:23 PM
    If I viewed the property with this kit, and decided to buy, I'd expect the kit to be included.

Sure,during conveyancing you can make clear on the F&Fs form that the kit is excluded, but I'd be pretty miffed and might even reduce my offer - not so much because of the loss in value to the property (I imagine pretty insignificant) but because I'd feel misled/cheated.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Jan 19, 1:31 PM
    • 27,985 Posts
    • 16,878 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:31 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:31 PM
    Why not just price the property to include what you clearly regard as valuable add ons?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 12th Jan 19, 5:11 PM
    • 34,137 Posts
    • 20,696 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:11 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:11 PM
    Don't bother taking it with you it is old tech.
    (All tech is old by the time it hits the market)

Start from scratch at the new place.

This sort of stuff is the new carpets & curtains that won't fit the new place.
    • googler
    • By googler 12th Jan 19, 5:25 PM
    • 14,979 Posts
    • 9,842 Thanks
    googler
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:25 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:25 PM
    If you REALLY want to take stuff with you, why can't you just type up an A4 sheet with these items listed, and give a copy to every viewer?

FWIW, if you were selling in Scotland, you wouldn't need to ask this, because the contract terms covering such items would be included in the buyer's offer, as part of standard clauses, such as

"The Property is sold with:
    (a) all heritable fittings and fixtures;
    (b) all items of whatever nature fixed or fitted to the Property the removal of which would materially damage the fabric or decoration of the Property;
    (c) all items stated to be included in the sales particulars or advertisements made available to the Purchaser; and
    (d) the following insofar as any were in the Property when viewed by the Purchaser: garden shed or hut, greenhouse, summerhouse; all growing plants, shrubs, trees (except those in plant pots); all types of blinds, pelmets, curtain rails and runners, curtain poles and rings thereon; all carpets and floorcoverings (but excluding loose rugs), stair carpet fixings; fitted bedroom furniture; all bathroom and cloakroom mirrors, bathroom and toilet fittings; kitchen units; all cookers, hobs, ovens, washing machines, dishwashers, fridges and freezers if integral to or encased within matching units; extractor hoods, extractor fans, electric storage heaters, electric fires, electric light fittings (including all fluorescent lighting, external lighting, wall lights, dimmer switches and bulbs and bulb holders but not shades); television aerials and associated cables and sockets, satellite dishes; loft ladders; rotary clothes driers; burglar alarm, other security systems and associated equipment; secondary glazing; shelving, fireplace surround units, fire grates,
    fenders and associated ironmongery. "

The unspoken implication of clause (c) all items stated to be included in the sales particulars or advertisements made available to the Purchaser is that if you specifically wish to exclude something from the sale, you explicitly say so in the sales material.
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 12th Jan 19, 6:01 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 2,535 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    • 12th Jan 19, 6:01 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 6:01 PM
    Honestly in the big scheme of things how much are second fancy bulbs and a video doorbell worth. This stuff is likely to be able to be bought new for less than you originally paid so why not put the latest tech in your new house if that is what floats your boat.

Or if you must take, as already said, remove everything like that before you market the place because showing someone around and then being told, oh by the way the door bell and fancy hall lights are all going would create a really negative impression.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 12th Jan 19, 6:12 PM
    • 3,777 Posts
    • 4,161 Thanks
    Marvel1
    Make it clear to viewers what you are taking, otherwise my offer would be based on what I seen and assume they are staying. I wouldn't be happy wasting my time finding out after.
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 12th Jan 19, 6:38 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 4,487 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    It might be best to remove them. If you start listing what you are going to take it could sound like you are one of those people who leaves the house bare with no light bulbs and loo roll holders and curtain tracks gone.
    • jackomdj
    • By jackomdj 12th Jan 19, 9:18 PM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    jackomdj
    Personally I would tell people, as the landing bulbs come on 'we will be taking our hue lighting system, but we will put standard bulbs in their place'
    • es5595
    • By es5595 13th Jan 19, 1:08 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    es5595
    Iím currently on the market and have a smart home, mainly using hive and Alexa. I have similar things, such as when a landing sensor goes off the stair lights come on.

Itís not something Iíd actually really thought much about, since I wouldnít leave my echos, and hive says to take the hub and everything that isnít wired in.

Iíve kept my bulbs that I took out when I put in hive bulbs, so when I move Iíll just put those back in, and the heating will go back to dumb/manual setting unless/until they get a hive hub.
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 13th Jan 19, 9:12 AM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 2,271 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    When someone comes to view, the lights will come on automatically on the landing as it's quite dark and depending on whether it's an overcast day or not the kitchen and hallway lights may come on.
    Originally posted by freeman3030
    Manually turning on all the Hue lights so that they're already on when viewers arrive would mean no-one would think twice about any smart features...

If you remove the fixed doorbell then you'll need to make good afterwards; depending on whether painted around etc. it may be more trouble than it's worth.
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Jan 19, 9:14 AM
    • 12,052 Posts
    • 14,115 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    If you are planning to take it with you you'll remove it anyway so remove it now and pack it away.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • Sibz
    • By Sibz 13th Jan 19, 5:53 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Sibz
    It's not really a big issue. We have a Ring doorbell and made it clear to the EA marketing the place this would not be left. Lightbulbs etc - replace them before you market/arrange viewings - this is something you'd have to do if your taking your bulbs with you anyway.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 15th Jan 19, 8:07 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Takmon
    Hi all, we will soon have our house on the market and I'm really looking forward to moving home. However over the past 3 years of living at this house we've bought lots of Phillips hue light bulbs, nest cameras etc. When someone comes to view, the lights will come on automatically on the landing as it's quite dark and depending on whether it's an overcast day or not the kitchen and hallway lights may come on. I intenend to take the bulbs with me but is that something to declare in the paperwork? Likewise, the video doorbell. Because it's fixed to the wall outside is it expected that it would remain if not stated otherwise?
    Originally posted by freeman3030
    I think the only issue might be the video doorbell as people expect them to be left, so i would just point this out when people come to view.

The Phillips hue light bulbs are pretty rubbish anyway because if someone turns off the light switch then it has to be manually turned back on so i would just leave them. For less than half the price of a hue bulb you can get switches that replace the ones on the walls so they can still be turned on and off normally on the wall plus on and off remotely, you also won't need a hub either. So as your moving then you have the chance to get a proper smart setup.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,397Posts Today

8,861Users online

Martin's Twitter