Revisiting old claim

About a year ago, I approached my previous mortgage lender, Nationwide, to enquire about PPI and whether I had been mis-sold it. We unfortunately did not have all the paperwork from 20 years previous. their investigation said that we had no claim as we had knowingly signed up to the insurance but suggested that, if we wanted, we could take it up with the financial ombudsman. We had to do this within 6 months. As with all things, time went by and things got forgotten, until last week when I found the original response. I am wondering what to do, given it's actually 14 months since we had the response from Nationwide. Is it worth trying to pursue through the ombudsman or will they just say "you're too late"? I could reclaim through Nationwide, but presume it'll be the same answer, and they probably have a valid case.

Comments

• You're out of time for your complaint, whichever route you choose.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am wondering what to do, given it's actually 14 months since we had the response from Nationwide. Is it worth trying to pursue through the ombudsman or will they just say "you're too late"?

They will say you are too late. The FOS only overrule the 6 month bar in extreme cases. e.g. death of spouse in that period or incapacity for the whole period.
    I could reclaim through Nationwide, but presume it'll be the same answer, and they probably have a valid case.

You have already complained and had your response. You dont get multiple bites of the cherry. They will refer you back to the original outcome.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I think I'm in the same situation too.... I take it that even though I didn't ask for the PPI and they didn't address that in thier dismissal of my complaint, I still can't reclaim due to the time passing from original response?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Triman wrote: »
    I think I'm in the same situation too.... I take it that even though I didn't ask for the PPI and they didn't address that in thier dismissal of my complaint, I still can't reclaim due to the time passing from original response?

They would have addressed it in your original complaint. The problem is that your allegation you didnt ask them for it is unprovable.

If you had complained within months of paying it, you would be considered credible. Even if there is no evidence supporting your allegation. However, the longer time goes on, the less credibility that reason has. When you are talking years later, you really need evidence to supports your allegation and it is rare for anyone to have such evidence.

When you complained originally, they look at all aspects. Including things you did not raise. They then give their response and you get 6 months to appeal that decision if you feel it is wrong. After 6 months, it is game over.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure