Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Toonboy24
    • By Toonboy24 12th Jan 19, 10:53 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Toonboy24
    Have I received a Gladstones LBC?
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:53 AM
    Have I received a Gladstones LBC? 12th Jan 19 at 10:53 AM
    Hi all. I know I will probably sound silly with this query but I am perplexed as to what I have actually been sent from gladstones.

I received a letter that was titled Letter Before Claim. It was just one sheet of paper with details of the 160 invoice on one side and how I have 30 days to respond. On the reverse was information regarding how I could pay. Apart from one other blank piece of paper there was nothing else. The reason I am perplexed is because I've read on other threads that if it was a real LBC then there should have been other financial forms. Does the fact there wasn't mean it's not a proper LBC?

Thanks for any replies, that are gratefully received!
Page 1
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 12th Jan 19, 10:59 AM
    • 10,921 Posts
    • 14,478 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:59 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:59 AM
    Hi all. I know I will probably sound silly with this query but I am perplexed as to what I have actually been sent from gladstones.

I received a letter that was titled Letter Before Claim. It was just one sheet of paper with details of the 160 invoice on one side and how I have 30 days to respond. On the reverse was information regarding how I could pay. Apart from one other blank piece of paper there was nothing else. The reason I am perplexed is because I've read on other threads that if it was a real LBC then there should have been other financial forms. Does the fact there wasn't mean it's not a proper LBC?

Thanks for any replies, that are gratefully received!
    Originally posted by Toonboy24
    A LBC must give you proof of their claim, pictures etc and proof of the 160. Included will be forms which you ignore anyway

They had added a fake 60
    GLADSTONES ADD ON A FAKE 60 ?
    In addition to the 'parking charge', the Claimant's legal representatives, GLADSTONES, have artificially inflated the value of the Claim by adding costs of 60 which has not actually been incurred by the Claimant, and which are artificially invented figures in an attempt to circumvent the Small Claims costs rules using double recovery.
    >>>> thanks to bargepole
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Redx
    • By Redx 12th Jan 19, 11:00 AM
    • 21,851 Posts
    • 27,450 Thanks
    Redx
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:00 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:00 AM
    does the ref start with a 1 or a 3 ?

who does it tell you to pay ? GLADRAGS or DRPL ?

did it come from the GLADRAGS gold club address in Knutsford ?

who was the actual claimant ? (the PPC ?)

are you sure it does not mention downloading financial forms ?

the 30 days notice means its usually an LBC
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 12th Jan 19, 11:18 AM
    • 10,921 Posts
    • 14,478 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:18 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:18 AM
    I think we need to be watchful as to the terminology used by these legals as trickery is their game.

This forum will now be the bible for these companies and when they send a letter giving 14-16 days, we quickly tell people it's not a LBC because of the 30 day requirement.

However, nothing to stop them changing 16 days to 30 days

If they can add a fake 60 then they can mislead people as well

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Jan 19, 11:23 AM
    • 12,438 Posts
    • 12,575 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:23 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:23 AM
    My exact thought Beamish. It cannot be valid however if there were no enclosures, they cannot assume that people are able to download stuff from the net.

OP, please consider a complaint to your MP as it is the will of Parliament that these scammers be put out of business.

Hopefully that will take place in the near future. The Bill has passed through the HOC without hitch, and goes to the Lords soon. In the meantime involve your MP, the poor dears are buckling under the weight of complaints about these scammers.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Third Reading in late November, and, with a fair wind, will become Law next year.

All three readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 6-7 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Toonboy24
    • By Toonboy24 12th Jan 19, 11:31 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Toonboy24
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:31 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:31 AM
    There was no proof and no pictures included.
    • Toonboy24
    • By Toonboy24 12th Jan 19, 11:34 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Toonboy24
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:34 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:34 AM
    The reference starts with a 1.

Forgive the short answers, I'm currently in a waiting room awaiting an appointment. I can add more details. But many thanks to those who have helped. It's much appreciated.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 12th Jan 19, 12:00 PM
    • 21,851 Posts
    • 27,450 Thanks
    Redx
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:00 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:00 PM
    if it starts with a 1 then I would suggest you email a SAR to the DPO at the parking firm, plus send an LBC rebuttal to GLADRAGS as well

see post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread for more details

ideally, we need to know which PPC issued the original pcn
    Last edited by Redx; 12-01-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Toonboy24
    • By Toonboy24 12th Jan 19, 12:07 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Toonboy24
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:07 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:07 PM
    Thanks for that info. The PPC was NPE.
    • barrat9000
    • By barrat9000 12th Jan 19, 12:12 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    barrat9000
    I have also just received two letter before claim from Gladstone solicitors in the same envelope today, one dating back to the start of last month stating I have 30 days to reply and the other dating to the start of this month now stating I have till the 18th to respond. I am questioning the validity of these letters? Surely I cannot be expected to reply within the time frame if the letter is not sent when stated?
    • Redx
    • By Redx 12th Jan 19, 12:14 PM
    • 21,851 Posts
    • 27,450 Thanks
    Redx
    there is no legislation , just CPR rules , so a bit of a grey area and if they fail to comply all you can do is tell it to the judge and hope they are sympathetic

the tasks to do are the same

SAR to the DPO at the PPC by email

LBC rebuttal to GLADRAGS

email to your MP complaining about it and asking them to support the bill by Sir Greg Knight
    Newbies !!
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 12th Jan 19, 12:51 PM
    • 10,921 Posts
    • 14,478 Thanks
    beamerguy
    I have also just received two letter before claim from Gladstone solicitors in the same envelope today, one dating back to the start of last month stating I have 30 days to reply and the other dating to the start of this month now stating I have till the 18th to respond. I am questioning the validity of these letters? Surely I cannot be expected to reply within the time frame if the letter is not sent when stated?
    Originally posted by barrat9000
    Do I assume that you never received the 30 day letter in Dec ??

They have enclosed a copy of that letter but it's odd that they now give you an extra time until the 18th

You need to tell them that you never received the 30 day letter
    and resend it enclosing the proof you require about their claim

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Champ01
    • By Champ01 12th Jan 19, 3:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Champ01
    A very similar thing as happened to me.

I have this morning received a reminder LBC letter from Gladstones (dated 4 January) saying that hey have given me until the 18 January to respond. They are claiming that i never responded to their 4 December LBC giving 30 days to respond (which I never received). There are no enclosures.The PPC is UKCPM.

I understand that I have to submit a SAR to UKCPM. But how do i respond to Gladstone? Do i provide an LBC rebuttal or go back them and ask them to provide me with the relevant enclosures?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jan 19, 8:56 PM
    • 68,591 Posts
    • 80,864 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Just tell them the same as here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75307610#post75307610
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Champ01
    • By Champ01 13th Jan 19, 7:57 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Champ01
    Thanks. I have responded as advised: 1) sent an SAR to UKCPM 2) written to Gladstone and requested a restriction in processing.

What happens now though? I would be very surprised if UKCPM comply with the SAR request and Gladstone agree to the restriction in processing Is there anything that i need to start preparing for?

My case in very simply - i paid for the ticket via the machine for the time i was suppose to be there (i don't have the ticket unfortunately) so why i am being harassed like this by UKCPM/Gladstone is very frustrating.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 13th Jan 19, 7:58 PM
    • 21,851 Posts
    • 27,450 Thanks
    Redx
    in theory they are both obliged to deal with your requests, but under different rules and laws

if they fail, you report them

so you await their replies and play ping pong as required, until an MCOL arrives

a SAR refusal means a complaint by you to the ICO
    Newbies !!
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 13th Jan 19, 8:29 PM
    • 13,660 Posts
    • 14,922 Thanks
    KeithP
    What happens now though?
    Originally posted by Champ01
    Ideally what happens now is that you start your own thread.

It will become increasingly complicated trying to progress the issues of several people in one thread and it can only lead to confusion.

Thanks for your understanding.
    • Toonboy24
    • By Toonboy24 31st Jan 19, 5:45 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Toonboy24
    So I have received a response from Gladstones, them stating that they believed their Letter Before Complaint (is this the same as Letter Before Claim...?) was compliant and they would like clarification as to my position with respect of non-compliance. Additionally, it says I am required to provide an account of my version of events as required by Protocol.
    They enclosed photos of car parked and a layout of where notices are. I still maintain that
    *my car was parked in a space where their signs were not visible;
    *it is not obvious when entering the car park that there are different spaces for two different companies (indeed you have to turn sharp left on entering and signs are on right so wouldn't be looking in that direction);
    *on photo that shows the car, you are unable to see the sign;
    *on the photo that shows the sign you are unable to see the car;
    *the bay where the car was parked was apparantly in a blue parking bay. However, the lines are faded and it doesn't look blue on photo, and my photo shows the lines are blue in places and white in places (blue paint over the previous white);
    *the signs were not near car and so not easily visible and so I was unable to agree to the 'contract';
    *they have not stated who owns the land, as requested;
    *they have not given a breakdown of costs as requested (particularly the extra 60 on top of the 100)

Does the above sound reasonable as a defence/ points to raise?

I have also received a form asking me to tick boxes as to whether I owe the debt, which I believe should have been part of the Letter Before Claim..?

Any help/guidance/thoughts would be very much appreciated; I'm determined to beat this!
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 31st Jan 19, 6:23 PM
    • 13,660 Posts
    • 14,922 Thanks
    KeithP
    You've already responded to their Letter Before Claim.

In my opinion you should just wait patiently for a Claim Form to drop through your letter-box.

Although Redx did suggest in post #8 above that you send a SAR to the PPC.
    Did you do that?
    If not, do that now.
    Last edited by KeithP; 31-01-2019 at 6:26 PM.
    • Toonboy24
    • By Toonboy24 1st Feb 19, 10:36 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Toonboy24
    I sent an SAR to both NPE and Gladstones but it was Gladstones that replied (after 30 days-does that matter?) There were also a lot of forms attached about whether I accept the debt etc which I assume I ignore and await the court date?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,259Posts Today

6,982Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It isn't statistically representative true. But to say that tells us nothing isn't correct. It shows what people i? https://t.co/JBLu6Cd8a5

• Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of? https://t.co/NgYxaQDCnr

• Morning. I'm on my way to @GMB for my 7:40 deals of the week. This week incl how to beat the stamp price hike, a fr? https://t.co/DYJoF6NzKV

• Follow Martin