Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fairyliquid
    • By Fairyliquid 12th Jan 19, 8:44 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Fairyliquid
    New gas appliance install
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:44 AM
    New gas appliance install 12th Jan 19 at 8:44 AM
    Hi, we are looging at a new gas hob and were told by the shop that as the original install was over 12 years back we would need a larger pipe for the feed. I remember at our previous house a gas fitter putting in a new larger pipe for a boiler install but in this case the gas tap is right below the hob so it will only be a few inches long.

Asking round I get various price indicators starting at 100 for just that part of the job!

Anyone had experience of this please?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 12th Jan 19, 9:06 AM
    • 2,707 Posts
    • 3,599 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:06 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:06 AM
    Hi, we are looging at a new gas hob and were told by the shop that as the original install was over 12 years back we would need a larger pipe for the feed. I remember at our previous house a gas fitter putting in a new larger pipe for a boiler install but in this case the gas tap is right below the hob so it will only be a few inches long.

Asking round I get various price indicators starting at 100 for just that part of the job!

Anyone had experience of this please?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Fairyliquid
    Yes. You'll need to pay someone to create the right sized feed and the length is largely irrelevant unless you need to put in a completely new larger-sized pipe run from the mains supply. A three inch long connection won't be very much cheaper than a three feet long one. If you've had various estimates all at around 100 it would seem to be the going rate.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 12th Jan 19, 9:24 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:24 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:24 AM
    I'd have a look at the instructions for the hob online, make sure the shop is giving correct advice. The regulator in your gas main ensures the pressure is maintained during use, houses with a gas wall heater in every room and a gas hob used to be supplied on 1/2" copper so I'm fairly confident that if you have 15mm copper or the old 1/2" it could supply a hob. I've seen 5 burner hobs on 15mm and they worked no problem with every ring on full.
    • fezster
    • By fezster 12th Jan 19, 9:49 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    fezster
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:49 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:49 AM
    but in this case the gas tap is right below the hob
    Originally posted by Fairyliquid
    Are you saying the incoming gas main is right below the hob, with the meter and emergency control valve at that location?

Or just that the gas pipe coming to the cooker has a valve here?

If the latter, then the gas pipe has to be sized correctly from the meter to every appliance in the house - and these regs have changed over time (for safety reasons) and therefore a larger pipe may now be necessary.

A gas safe installer can calculate the pipe size required - although in reality, they base it on experience and then perform a safety check once the appliances are fitted to ensure that the pressure drop at the meter is within manufacturer tolerances.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 12th Jan 19, 9:59 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:59 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:59 AM
    There should be a shut off below the hob, all gas items have to be capable of being isolated separately. Its probably a gascock.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 12th Jan 19, 12:08 PM
    • 1,566 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:08 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:08 PM
    Sounds a bit dubious.

Yeah they do upgrade gas pipes to boilers but that's normally when people are replacing their old boilers with new Combi boilers, which heat the water up instantly so have much bigger power outputs and use a lot more gas when they're running, and so need bigger pipes to supply that extra gas to keep the pressure at the boiler within operating range. The old boilers normally had hot water tanks and heated the water over a longer period, so had lower power outputs, used less gas and so only needed smaller pipes.

I'd be surprised if you needed the supply pipe between your gas connection in the kitchen and the meter replacing. You will need a new pipe between the hob and gas point in the kitchen, if only because it'll have a slightly different connection point. But all that should be done by the gas fitter when he removes the old hob and fits a new one. I wouldn't expect it to be a separate job.

I'd get the details of the hob you've currently got, get the details of the new one, then speak to a few gas fitters to get a price for them to change them. I wouldn't ask about replacing the whole pipework.

I replaced a standard 4 burner hob, over 12 years old, with a new gas cooker (4 hobs, 2 ovens), the gas fitter didn't seem bothered about the supply pipe at all. Just disconnected the old pipework under the hob, fitted a gas cooker socket and he usual gas cooker hose between the socket and the cooker.
    • Fairyliquid
    • By Fairyliquid 12th Jan 19, 12:47 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Fairyliquid
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:47 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:47 PM
    Thanks to all for the useful info.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 13th Jan 19, 5:14 PM
    • 5,492 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:14 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:14 PM
    Not sure why 12 years is relevant either tbh ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 13th Jan 19, 5:25 PM
    • 8,312 Posts
    • 7,497 Thanks
    phill99
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:25 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:25 PM
    There is a lot of dubious advice here. I fit kitchens for a living and work closely with a Gas Safe Fitter.

If you have had a relatively new condensing combi boiler fitted, they typically have to be served via a 22mm feed from the gas meter. A 15mm pipe can then be cut into this feed for the hob.

the shop are giving you erroneous and badly informed advice.

A Gas fitter will do a pressure test on the boiler and hob to see if the supply is adequate. if not, you may have to up your feed to a 22mm supply with the 15mm hob feed coming off of it. However, only a qualified gas fitter who has looked at the job can give you the correct answer, not well meaning but mis-informed do-gooders on an internet forum
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,281Posts Today

8,785Users online

Martin's Twitter