Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 12th Jan 19, 12:44 AM
    • 593Posts
    • 115Thanks
    justaquestion
    Going to buy Wd my passport 4TB-best place to buy from?
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:44 AM
    Going to buy Wd my passport 4TB-best place to buy from? 12th Jan 19 at 12:44 AM
    Hi folks,

I want to place an order for a WD my passport one of these days, and wonder should I stick with reliable places such as Amazon rather than ebay?

They do seem about a 10 more expensive on Amazon but probably I think they are the real deal compared to taking a chance on ebay.

I also notice there is an elements version any different to the regular my passport?

Would you agree about buying form Amazon, seem to be around 90 or so?

Thanks for any advice.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 12th Jan 19, 1:12 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:12 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:12 AM
    Amazon reputable and will sort you out if something goes wrong even if they sell it or it comes off the marketplace.

eBay is just an marketplace for other sellers, no guarantee where it'll come from and you takes your chances. You may also get badgered for 5 star reviews before they'll entertain any claim for any faults or warranties. If worse comes to worse raise a claim with eBay direct but it may not be quick and you'd have to send it back at your own expense. For Amazon drop it into a Hermes drop-off at no charge.

As to Elements v My Passport, basically its the backup software they come with. If you ain't gonna use it anyway and you'll just drag and drop in Windows then just get the cheaper drive.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Jan 19, 5:39 PM
    • 18,252 Posts
    • 11,166 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:39 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:39 PM
    Hi folks,

I want to place an order for a WD my passport one of these days, and wonder should I stick with reliable places such as Amazon rather than ebay?

They do seem about a 10 more expensive on Amazon but probably I think they are the real deal compared to taking a chance on ebay.

I also notice there is an elements version any different to the regular my passport?

Would you agree about buying form Amazon, seem to be around 90 or so?

Thanks for any advice.
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    Can i ask - why do you want to put 4TB of your files on one single hard disk? Seems like a risk to me, unless its for an XBox.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Jan 19, 3:20 AM
    • 34,076 Posts
    • 20,651 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:20 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:20 AM
    Manufacturer refurbs come up a lot on HUKD
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=my+passport

the last sale cleared them out.
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 13th Jan 19, 5:20 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    justaquestion
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:20 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:20 PM
    Can i ask - why do you want to put 4TB of your files on one single hard disk? Seems like a risk to me, unless its for an XBox.
    Originally posted by motorguy

Well I want to use it as OS backup with Acronis and Macrium reflect, I have three OS to backup , two of windows 10 and one of windows 7.

What I will do is mainly use this new one to backup to, but have a few other drives lying around, another Wd my passport with maybe 400gb free on it, so I will copy the backups one of each OS onto the other Wd as well (Every two months or so) to be on safe side, but as I say mainly use the new 4TB one for regular backups.

Just ordered the WD elements 4tb +shockproof case for just over 89 on amazon.
    Last edited by justaquestion; 13-01-2019 at 5:25 PM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Jan 19, 6:07 PM
    • 34,076 Posts
    • 20,651 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:07 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:07 PM
    Make sure your back up strategy does not just copy a duff stuff about.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 14th Jan 19, 4:14 AM
    • 5,789 Posts
    • 8,114 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 14th Jan 19, 4:14 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 4:14 AM
    I bought one WD my passport, had to return it, then get a refund when the replacement died on me. Wouldn't buy that model again. Reliability does seem to be an issue. Getting a refund/replacement won't help you replace lost items you stored on there. I had to keep back up copies.
    • jeradon
    • By jeradon 14th Jan 19, 7:19 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jeradon
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:19 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:19 AM
    I'm using the Toshiba Canvio. It is very reliable, and not too expensive.
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 14th Jan 19, 9:28 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:28 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:28 AM
    I've got three WD My Passports. Have had them a few years with no problems at all, very useful devices.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

2,656Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin