Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 11th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 2,038Posts
    • 7,475Thanks
    teapot2
    Life is a minestrone as the song says - my new diary
    • 11th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    Life is a minestrone as the song says - my new diary 11th Jan 19 at 10:57 AM
    Hello all,

I had a diary on this board a few years ago when OH and I were working towards being MF which we managed in mid 2014. That diary is here; https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2676587

My last post on there was about starting a new diary which didn't happen. Life is now very different and although I'm MF, I'd like to re-start a diary here [if you'll have me] as this feels like 'home'

Not long after I last posted my OH was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive cancer and life changed completely. This was a huge shock to both of us and we became immersed in the world of cancer treatment and learned a whole new language. Briefly, OH was in remission for 18 months then had a relapse which was terminal and died just over a year ago.

I don't want this to be a gloomy diary though I still have many sad days but I do feel I need to get a grip on my finances and some sort of planning in place for the future and I hope writing about these and getting feedback from others [hopefully] will help with keeping me on track.

I've been reading a few diaries but not posting as yet but have already got some thoughts about possible ways forward. I haven't lost all my MS ways in my absence from here but circumstances have not always been conducive to frugality I'll post again later about where I am financially.
Page 16
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Apr 19, 6:35 PM
    • 31,299 Posts
    • 184,254 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds a lovely day yesterday, though I'm not too sure about all that cleaning today
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 15th Apr 19, 10:06 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 7,475 Thanks
    teapot2
    That sounds a lovely day yesterday, though I'm not too sure about all that cleaning today
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Yes thanks it was a lovely day and unexpected. Lol, cleaning not my favourite thing really but I did clean the windows and wash the floors as planned so it does look better also did a washing. Big old furry boy threw up on the clean floor though bless him

I made fishcakes and had some for tea, there are another half dozen made so will have more tomorrow and freeze the rest.

Did a Proilfic survey, first one for a while and a few others but screened out of most.
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 16th Apr 19, 9:30 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 7,475 Thanks
    teapot2
    Sold one of OHs CDs online after someone in the US emailed to ask if I would post it out there so changed the listing to international and it sold

Popped out this affy to post it and also got more hot cross buns . I bought some mince to make meatballs for the family who will be back from hols tomorrow.

Hoovered upstairs and cleaned both the bathrooms. Was hoping to do some weeding but it was still bitterly cold out. Have moved some furniture around in the living room and think it looks better. Bit more stuff sorted out to be decluttered as well.

Did a Yougov survey this morning and some on OP as well.

Early night tonight hopefully as have a very long day at work tomorrow but am meeting a friend for coffee in the gap between jobs
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 18th Apr 19, 9:51 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 7,475 Thanks
    teapot2
    Long day at work yesterday so took me a while to get going today. My work for today was cancelled which isn't great news as I'm not working tomorrow either since the Agency I would be working in is closed.

Once I managed to wake up properly I made meatballs and tomato sauce for the family. Kept a bit of the sauce to make prawn linguine for my tea.

Washing done and hung outside as sunny today though still a bit chilly. Did a little bit of weeding but not much. Had an online sale so went to the PO with that then to the garden centre where I got a couple of packets of seed and paid with my Christmas garden voucher, Am planning to grow salad leaves and to plant the seeds regularly so I have a continual supply.

Recycling day tomorrow so I shredded another folder and a half of paper and put the recycling out. Just remembered I haven't done the washing up yet so better get on with that......
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Apr 19, 8:42 AM
    • 31,299 Posts
    • 184,254 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You kept going for so long yesterday! Be nice to yourself today, please
    Retired August 2016
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 20th Apr 19, 8:45 AM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 7,475 Thanks
    teapot2
    Thanks KC, I had another busy day but not doing cleaning Family came round in the morning with the wee ones so sticky fingers everywhere - we had hot cross buns

Did some shopping in the afternoon and then was invited to my sisters for tea as more family were visiting. Enjoyable chaos ensued with a baby, a toddler an over excited 4 YO and 3 dogs

So am hoping for a quieter day today, a friend is coming over and we're going for a visit to the woods and then for lunch.

I 'should' give the grass its first cut but that will have to wait
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Apr 19, 10:49 AM
    • 31,299 Posts
    • 184,254 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Fantastic sounds great!
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Apr 19, 6:29 PM
    • 62,666 Posts
    • 271,530 Thanks
    beanielou
    All good then
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 21st Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 7,475 Thanks
    teapot2
    Good day with friend y'day then a quiet evening, stayed up finishing my book - wanted to find out whodunnit

Not up to much today but hopefully some time in the garden pottering about. Did another PC survey and have redeemed a 5 Am@zon voucher as hoping to get new trainers from there.

Have defrosted some fishcakes from the freezer so will have those with salad and have fridge bottom soup for lunch.
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 21st Apr 19, 9:18 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 7,475 Thanks
    teapot2
    Although it was very warm here today there was quite a breeze too so that made it more comfortable in the garden. Did quite a bit of weeding and also dug up some plants that had arrived unbidden and spread - they are not very nice and I want the space for something else. Blooming deep roots though so I'll have to keep an eye on them growing back. Was pleased I could dig as it was too painful to do any digging for a few years before my surgery .

Did a Prolific survey for 2 which has already been paid so up to 14 on there now. Checked the paperwork from the claim I made re OH's Ll@yds CC PPI, it says they should give me a decision by 25th so will be keeping an eye out for that.

Need to edit my online grocery order next as have thought of a few more things to add so might have to take a few things off the order for it not to be too expensive. Needs to be done as am nearly out of M@rmite
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 24th Apr 19, 9:10 AM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 7,475 Thanks
    teapot2
    Much cooler here today so might need to resort to a thicker jacket again when I go out.

I bought a couple of bags of compost and one of manure from a local shop which delivers for free so they are sitting by the shed and I'm hoping to plant some rhubarb and get some seeds going. I did more work in the garden yesterday before going to work. I straightened the edge of the grass with a cutting thingy where it had grown into the border over the last couple of years. Really pleased I was physically able to do that and it was pain free

Been doing lots of thinking about work and ways to increase the work I have as I've been earning very little lately. I'm going to wait until I know the result of a meeting next week then depending on the outcome, will put other plans into action. Trouble is, I quite like not working so much but that doesn't reduce the debt or help towards my retirement. Its all about getting the balance right I know.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Apr 19, 1:15 PM
    • 62,666 Posts
    • 271,530 Thanks
    beanielou
    Much cooler here too
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 24th Apr 19, 10:02 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 7,475 Thanks
    teapot2
    Much cooler here too
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Got even colder and foggy so no gardening done. Just looked out and its thick fog now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin