Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EssBiem
    • By EssBiem 10th Jan 19, 9:57 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 40Thanks
    EssBiem
    Travel Insurance - How to insure when not travelling from 'Home' / 'Home Country
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:57 PM
    Travel Insurance - How to insure when not travelling from 'Home' / 'Home Country 10th Jan 19 at 9:57 PM
    Hey all.

Trying to stay ahead of the game, I sorted my travel insurance for the upcoming winter sports holiday at the start of february.

I am going with family, who live in Ireland, and as we live so close to the port, it made sense to just go over that side and fly from Dublin to Toulouse.

Did the insurance on a UK website, as I had done the previous trips. Except when I was looking on behalf of those in Ireland for insurance I noticed the stipulations were that they were residents of Ireland, and the journey commenced from and ended from their home country. Which made reconsider reading the terms of mine and saw that it too had similar terms.

I went on live chat and eventually, they admitted that in the event of claiming, the policy would be invalid if I tried to claim because I am from the Uk, but did not start and end the journey from the UK. Got a refund, so all good.

(TLDR) Now my question is, if im from UK, but flying from and to Ireland, how do I insure myself, when the UK sites require you to be British and fly to and from Britain, but Ireland will only insure you if you are from there. How do those who live on borders and fly from neighbouring countries (kinda like myself) get valid insurance?

Was probably just lucky i didnt have to claim on our previous trips, as these would have almost certainly have been invalid too, which is a scary thought.

If anyone has any insight, that would be marvelous. Thanks
    Competition Hobby start date 12/4/18

2018 Wins: Thorntons personalised plaque. Goodreads Novel. 10 freebirthdaylottery survey draw.
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 10th Jan 19, 11:43 PM
    • 25,458 Posts
    • 12,681 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 10th Jan 19, 11:43 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 11:43 PM
    How do you get to Dublin?
    I have had friends going to the U.S. by flying or ferry to Ireland - does their holiday not start when travelling to Dublin ie they do start in UK but fly to their ultimate destination via Dublin?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • EssBiem
    • By EssBiem 11th Jan 19, 12:10 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    EssBiem
    • 11th Jan 19, 12:10 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 12:10 AM
    I am getting the ferry to ireland, and driving to dublin, then flying. The advisor in live chat said that if there were available flights from belfast (also UK) going to toulouse the same day then my policy would be invalid because in theory i could have gone via a uk airport. crystalski ie did not offer that as an option though. when i told them there were flights from belfast to toulouse the same day they said my policy would be invalid and offered me a refund.,

2018 Wins: Thorntons personalised plaque. Goodreads Novel. 10 freebirthdaylottery survey draw.
    • EssBiem
    • By EssBiem 12th Jan 19, 9:56 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    EssBiem
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:56 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:56 PM
    Anyone had any experience in this? The past posts on the forum haven't shed much light on the final steps op took.

• forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Jan 19, 12:55 AM
    • 28,389 Posts
    • 11,565 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:55 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:55 AM
    Did you book for a single trip point A to to point B rather than a holiday?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 13th Jan 19, 11:36 AM
    • 38,451 Posts
    • 161,273 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:36 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:36 AM
    Seems strange, surely your holiday starts and ends in the UK. The fact you are going via Ireland is not relevant, you have a two centre holiday, Ireland and France.

When I went to Argentina and Brazil, I didn't take out insurance in Brazil to start my Argentina portion of the holiday. I flew London to Rio (Brazil), then Rio to Argentina; spent a week in Argentina then crossed the border back to Brazil. Isn't that the same as your scenerio?
    • EssBiem
    • By EssBiem 14th Jan 19, 9:07 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    EssBiem
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:07 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:07 PM
    Yeah a) i may have overthought it, or b) the advisor may not quite have understood my query. I'll just add a day on either end of my trip to get to and from the UK.

If you did read this and respond, thanks. I think i did in fact book a single trip and not a holiday.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

2,656Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin