Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • patricke1964
    • By patricke1964 10th Jan 19, 9:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    patricke1964
    basic account needed
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:27 PM
    basic account needed 10th Jan 19 at 9:27 PM
    I am looking at a possible IVA and need to open a basic account. It cant be linked to hsbc, lloyds or tesco banks. I am not sure if TSB would fit the bill as I think they have now completely split from lloyds. Can anybody advise what would be a good bank to use.
Page 1
    • cheeseoatcake
    • By cheeseoatcake 12th Jan 19, 8:27 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    cheeseoatcake
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:27 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:27 AM
    Hi,
    I can't say which is a good bank to use.
    Before entering into my IVA I opened a current account with the co-op bank no problems.
    Any bank that fits your needs will do but remember not to use a switching option when doing so.

Good luck
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 12th Jan 19, 9:55 AM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:55 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:55 AM
    I recently opened one with metro bank. They were very helpful and a lot more personal in their service than my current bank. They are open when other banks are not and magic machine is great for counting your change!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Jan 19, 1:48 PM
    • 16,177 Posts
    • 15,295 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:48 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 1:48 PM
    Coop are a stand alone bank that offer a good basic account with visa debt card.
    Barclays are also an option.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly". I have extensive experience of debt, and itís solutions, as well as the collection industry in general.

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    • ramtops
    • By ramtops 13th Jan 19, 6:09 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ramtops
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:09 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:09 AM
    Try Monzo.
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 13th Jan 19, 7:21 AM
    • 613 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    Craig1981
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:21 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:21 AM
    have a read of this, it should be useful in making a decision:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts/
    • TubbyDown
    • By TubbyDown 14th Jan 19, 9:16 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    TubbyDown
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:16 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:16 AM
    Have you looked into Monzo? I've just opened a second account with them and i'm very impressed with what i see
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

245Posts Today

1,775Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin