Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 10th Jan 19, 8:04 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 20Thanks
    energy1x
    Best cars for 100+ mile commute
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:04 PM
    Best cars for 100+ mile commute 10th Jan 19 at 8:04 PM
    Apologies if asked before... I searched but most posts few years back.

Started a new job, commute by train is 1hr 30mins, car is 1hr 15-20mins.

Looking for the cheapest car to commute the distance which door to door is 120 miles, up to 3 days a week. Other days would be work from home or other travelling (not commute/car).

Are the usual assumptions still correct, diesel cheaper etc? I've been looking so far at various Skodas, Kia, Fiestas and Golf's. Budget is up to £4,000.

Any help appreciated!
Page 2
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 11th Jan 19, 10:45 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    energy1x
    Ah, but if you have an hour train ride that you can work, then you could leave work an hour early and get an hour more free time at home
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    Most employers, certainly mine, expect a certain amount of hours to be worked or spent on site, typically 7-8. Regardless of how much 'work' one may claim to have done elsewhere
    • tired dad
    • By tired dad 11th Jan 19, 11:08 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    tired dad
    how much does the train cost 3 times a week.

120miles each way is a big drive. 240. miles round trip.

Outlay for car/fuel/insurance/depreciation/servicing/mot

I cannot imaging the car is cheaper. Only unless you already own the car anyway. In which case the outlay and depreciation are covered.

720 miles a week. assuming 46w a year, that's over 33k mileage alone.

Get the train mate. Enjoy the freedom
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 11th Jan 19, 11:24 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 4,265 Thanks
    ceredigion
    120miles in 1h 15m. = 96mph
    just saying.
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 12th Jan 19, 10:42 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    energy1x
    how much does the train cost 3 times a week.

120miles each way is a big drive. 240. miles round trip.

Outlay for car/fuel/insurance/depreciation/servicing/mot

I cannot imaging the car is cheaper. Only unless you already own the car anyway. In which case the outlay and depreciation are covered.

720 miles a week. assuming 46w a year, that's over 33k mileage alone.

Originally posted by tired dad
    It's 60 miles each way, 120 round trip. Sorry if this wasn't clear originally.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Jan 19, 6:33 PM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 3,251 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Originally posted by tired dad
    There's a lot of people heading into London on certain rail franchises who completely disagree. Certainly those using Southern Rail wouldn't agree with you as they turn up every day just hoping there's going to be a train at all. Hull trains recently didn't do too well when all but one of their trains was out of service due to maintenance problems. Throw in many local branch lines running old Pacers and the current strikes that are on the go and it isn't a pretty picture.
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 12th Jan 19, 7:08 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    energy1x
    The train is indeed with southern rail! So yes, hit and miss and not something to 'enjoy' by any stretch.
    • attila_
    • By attila_ 13th Jan 19, 4:08 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    attila_
    the OP has asked for car suggestion advice. Not people’s thoughts on whether a train is better. Half of the posts on here are about train commuting!

OP until 8 months I was doing a 140 mile round commute 5 days a week. From experience, comfort will become your most important factor (other than mpg!) I had an audi a4 tdi 2009. Excellent comfort, just under 200,000 and still felt fine. You can pick a decent one for your budget with plenty of life left.

As a previous OP said, if its long distance then wear items such as clutch, dmf, brakes etc are less per mile. I was on same clutch. I also never had a dpf issue as I could see it regularly regenerating through my app.

Golf will be ok but I think they feel twitchier than a longer wheel base saloon or estate. I woul rather go for a passat or jetta over a golf for long distance.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 13th Jan 19, 8:04 AM
    • 8,851 Posts
    • 8,172 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Sometimes the best car is a train though.

But not Southern Rail. You want to actually get to work reliably, and can reassess when someone else takes over the franchise.
    • Jimi.K.
    • By Jimi.K. 14th Jan 19, 5:23 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimi.K.
    Surprised at so many of the comments recommending the train. Have you people ever commuted by train in the UK?!

Assuming its a relatively popular route you'll rarely get a seat, usually be crammed in like a sardine, experience regular delays and cancellations, hang around on cold drafty platforms, and to top it all off probably pay 4x the amount you would if driving!

For example, a peak train from Swindon to Maidenhead costs £46.50 return! A diesel rep-mobile would easily do the 110mile return trip on less than £10 worth of fuel and wear and tear on easy motorway miles like those would be negligible. Obviously you have car purchase costs, insurance, servicing, beak-down cover etc, but assuming you have a personal car anyway those costs are more or less fixed.

From an environmental point of view we should all be making more use of public transport, but otherwise it's hard to justify British trains unless you work in the centre of a very busy city.
    Last edited by Jimi.K.; 14-01-2019 at 5:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    • Jimi.K.
    • By Jimi.K. 14th Jan 19, 5:35 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jimi.K.
    OP, I'd recommend a higher-mileage diesel saloon. Higher mileage means it's likely done lots of easy motorway miles and will be less likely to suffer DPF problems - diesels love to be driven! It will also cost you less to buy.

Something like this would be a lovely place to spend 3hrs and should easily do 250k+ miles with just regular servicing:
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810291936923
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,454Posts Today

9,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Perhaps the only thing we truly learn from this poll is we are generally optimistic. Most Brexiteers think Brexit w? https://t.co/DoosVRvneE

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ??Join the UK's biggest consumer website ??Make a difference ??Work with brilliant journalists ??Collaborate with top b?

• Today's Twitter poll: Do you believe the UK will leave the European Union in 2019? PS. Twitter/my following tends? https://t.co/U3DknxaJOG

• Follow Martin