Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 10th Jan 19, 7:54 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 56Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    mummypinksparkles - becoming a thrifty mummy once and for all!
    • 10th Jan 19, 7:54 PM
    mummypinksparkles - becoming a thrifty mummy once and for all! 10th Jan 19 at 7:54 PM
    Iíve been following so many DFDs for so long and find them so motivating, so Iíve actually signed up for an account and decided to do one too.

My lightbulb moment came very recently, just before Christmas. I live with DF, and 3 gorgeous children, DD who is 10, DS (7) and littlest DS (15months). Iíd taken a career break to spend some more time with our long awaited as, at the time we had the means to do it, Mr Pinksparkles works incredibly hard running his business and I have a little sideline that makes me some pin money (especially during holidays) so all was well. Iíd made enquiries about going to back to work a few weeks ago as I have debts but was in complete denial about them, thinking Iíd pay them off when I went back to work.
    I say ĎIí, not Ďweí because these debts are a result of my silly choices, putting things on a credit card because I thought I would pay it off when I went back to work, or my biggest customer in the business places a big order.

The thing is, itís getting out of hand and seems to have snowballed and the debt is bigger than I though. I donít want to live worrying about how Iíll pay my credit card and loan back, just covering the minimums from month to month. My biggest supplier contract has temporarily stopped (as itís a quieter than expected for them time of year), so no money coming in from that, and I canít go back to work as planned as weíve just found out, against all odds, that baby number 4 is on the way, due in August.

Of course we are both delighted (DF is beside himself with happiness), but thereís a constant undercurrent of worry in my mind. If weíre bringing another baby into this family I need to become far thriftier and not use a credit card like itís free money (the credit card is being cut up). I have to say, we are incredibly fortunate and have everything we need a some of what weíd like. We donít have fancy cars or holidays, but itís the little things Iíve been buying for the kids, the house or myself that has built up.

Wow Iíve ranted on (Iím so sorry, I do like to talk ). I will pot an SOA soon, but for the purposes of starting out my debt as of today is £8593.67. To me itís a very large amount of money with not much coming in but by being thrifty and keeping to my budget I know I can clear it. I actually really like being thrifty, I just became a bit of a magpie, buying lots of shiny things we didnít need but that I wanted but no more.

If youíve read this whole post thank you (and sorry it was so long )

MPS xo
Page 1
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 13,345 Thanks
    redofromstart
    • 10th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    Happy new diary, congratulations, and good luck with your plans!
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 10th Jan 19, 8:12 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:12 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:12 PM
    Today little DS and I took my granny to do her groceries and then met friends at soft play. I spent £3 on lunch for DS out of some survey money I got this week (£10) and brought a drink from home instead of buying a coffee. My oldest two are staying with their Dad tonight and little DS is tucked up in his cot, so I’ve just done our meal plan and shopping list for the week. I used to claim to do a shop for £50 for all of us, but I actually did at least 2 top up shops in the week that would amount to £20 each for not very much. Now the budget is £35, which will do fine for us as long as I’m very careful with meal planning and sticking to my list. I think I have a spending handover and buying new things doesn’t tempt me any more at all, like binge eating Easter eggs and not able to look at chocolate for weeks!
    Anyway, our meal plan from tomorrow to next Thursday will consist of:

Friday - cheesy potato bake with veggies and baguette
    Saturday- Tomato and cheese pasta bake
    Sunday - Chicken Quesadillas (wraps for DD who doesn’t like melted cheese!)
    Monday - Omelettes & veggies
    Tuesday - Puff pastry Pizza & veggies
    Weds - Sausage & mash
    Thursday - Homemade Chicken pie (from the freezer)

As I’m feeling nauseous and don’t eat some things, I can always have scrambled eggs and tomatoes (which I always fancy at the moment!), we have plenty of tins of toms and eggs so no need to buy extra.

Snacks and treats will be fruit or homemade flapjacks/rocky road that I’ll make this weekend (I love baking so we don’t buy biscuits or cakes )

Will update after the shopping trip tomorrow

MPS xo
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 10th Jan 19, 8:13 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:13 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:13 PM
    Thank you redo!
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 11th Jan 19, 12:08 AM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 6,531 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    • 11th Jan 19, 12:08 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 12:08 AM
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Meal planning is a good idea.
    paydbx2019 #93 £141.93/£10,100 .
    School trips £236/£1200..
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Jan 19, 8:11 AM
    • 5,985 Posts
    • 20,726 Thanks
    missymoo81
    • 11th Jan 19, 8:11 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 8:11 AM
    Hey pink sparkles! I did t realise you had your own diary! Congratulations on baby number 4! I’m so excited for you. I’m loving your meal plan. I’ll
    Keep reading with interest. We can be scrimpers together! X
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 11th Jan 19, 12:12 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    • 11th Jan 19, 12:12 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 12:12 PM
    Hi missymoo!

Yes lovely, Iíve been inspired to start my own diary after reading yours and others
    Hooray to being super scrimpers together! x
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 11th Jan 19, 6:07 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:07 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:07 PM
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Meal planning is a good idea.
    Originally posted by Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you so much Honeysuckle
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 11th Jan 19, 7:06 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:06 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:06 PM
    Hello all

Well what a busy day! Took little DS to his ballet class at our local village hall which he loved, then did the food shop armed with my list. Found some bargains on things I was going to buy anyway (all the bread was half price) and came in just under budget at £34.96.
    Rang by as they sent me a letter saying our contract is coming to an end. Itís £52 a month, far, far too expensive for us so did some researching on MSE and found 2 very good deals, £18 for the same package! BT said they canít beat it so told them weíll be switching.
    Listed a pair of shoes on eBay while waiting on the school run
    Took DD and big DS to the opticians and turns out DD needs glasses. She has been getting headaches recently so hopefully the glasses will fix that, and DD got to choose two lovely pairs free, thank you NHS
    DS is staying at a friends and DD has a friend over. Now sheís older sleepovers are no trouble, all they want to do is play on the laptop and chat! Little DS is tucked up in bed and Itís the time of night when the nausea and tiredness kick in, so Iím having a sit down and catching up on everyoneís diaries

MPS xo
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 12th Jan 19, 1:21 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    Hello everyone hope youíre having a lovely Saturday,

Weíve had a busy morning so far but all good DD asked if she and her friend could go to town as they have Christmas money so packed everyone up and heade there. DD is naturally thrifty and found a set of books sheís been reading for 60% off so sheís delighted DSs and I went to the library to kill some time as there was no way I was buying anything! Went to costa for hot chocolates and cakes to share for the kids, all paid with saved costa points so no money spent
    As for this afternoon, I have cleaning to tackle! DP is at work until 6 so the cleaning will have to be made into a game for little DS or heíll see mummy busy as his cue to go and cause all sorts of mischief My aim is to:
    Pay £10 to cc
    Complete 5 surveys (during DSí nap time)
    Unload dishwasher
    Put out washing
    Polish rooms
    Clean en-suite
    Clean kitchen

Will update later if I donít collapse under the laundry pile
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 13th Jan 19, 10:00 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    The tiredness hit me last night so didnít update!
    Did all my jobs except clean the en-suite, DF has taken the baby for a walk so Iím tackling it now!
    Was going to send £10 to the cc yesterday but ended up sending £28 to get it under the £3,000 mark!
    This week should see a good few NSDs as everything has been paid for and meal plan done
    Todayís jobs:

Clean en-suite
    Do 5 surveys
    Clean kitchen floor
    Put out washing
    Put clean washing away
    Bake for baby music class tomorrow (I bake for them every week and it gets us a heavy discount off the class )

Hope youíre all having a lovely Sunday x
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 13th Jan 19, 9:23 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    Busy afternoon getting ready for school tomorrow and cleaning the house. Weíre trying to sell our house at the moment as weíll be moving soon ( into a house that we already own) that has a far smaller mortgage on it and the term is shorter so makes sense. So I decided to clean out living room carpet which is cream managed to do 3/4 of that and will do the rest in the week.
    Little DS isnít well we think itís teething but heís really struggling. So while heís asleep Iíve gone to bed until he wakes up again which wonít be long! So we didnít venture out this afternoon which means today was another NSD, every cloud
    As for the jobs:

Clean en-suite - Done
    Do 5 surveys - not done, tried 8 surveys but frozen out of all of them!
    Clean kitchen floor - Done by big DS
    Put out washing - Done
    Put clean washing away - Mostly(!) Done
    Bake for baby music class tomorrow - Done (hopefully DS will be well enough to go)
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 14th Jan 19, 3:58 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    Hi all

A bit of a nightmare Monday so far! Big DS has been sent home with a sickness bug and little DS is very cuddly and sleepy, making me think heís coming down with it too DD has a sickness phobia too so sickness bugs more of a nightmare than usual on our house.
    As for the debt clearing sold some shoes on eBay this afternoon, so thatís £12.40 that will be going straight to the cc, and answered a few surveys during nap time so have £6.55 in my onepoll account as it stands
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 15th Jan 19, 3:04 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    Well after a horrendous night with poor big DS, I think heís through the worst. Still pale but much more himself than yesterday. Heís having a PJ day while Little DS and I start decluttering/packing things we wonít need for a few months to take to the new house.

So another NSD today! Plus have a bid on one of my eBay items which ends tonight so should get at least £20 from that That will be going straight to pay more on my Next account.
    Iíve redeemed the last £10 worth of points from my silly CC (I canít believe I ever thought that the vouchers were good value but Iíve learnt my lesson now!) and converted into amazon vouchers to restock cleaning products, if thereís a good deal on at the time.
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 15th Jan 19, 6:20 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    Well me celebrating a NSD was a bit premature
    DD came home upset from something in school so we went to town for a walk and had a babycino as she needed some girl time. Weíd ran out of yoghurts so ended up going into Iceland and spending £3, plus £5 in Tesco to stock up on cooking bacon (at 57p I canít find it cheaper anywhere else!), some veggies and bread. They are essentials but still frustrated as sometimes I feel like we could Ďmake doí until I go shopping again and if we run out itís tough. That said the kids donít ask for much, they donít have any brands, donít drink fizzy drinks or squash and donít have any of the sugary cereals I had growing up, so Iím not going to deny them a couple of yoghurts and some apples. I know little Ďtop up shopsí is a slippery slope for me, so I need to be careful not to make it a habit again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,454Posts Today

9,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Perhaps the only thing we truly learn from this poll is we are generally optimistic. Most Brexiteers think Brexit w? https://t.co/DoosVRvneE

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ??Join the UK's biggest consumer website ??Make a difference ??Work with brilliant journalists ??Collaborate with top b?

• Today's Twitter poll: Do you believe the UK will leave the European Union in 2019? PS. Twitter/my following tends? https://t.co/U3DknxaJOG

• Follow Martin