Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yorkshire Traveller
    • By Yorkshire Traveller 10th Jan 19, 7:54 PM
    • 267Posts
    • 81Thanks
    Yorkshire Traveller
    Replacement for HP Officejet J5780 all-in-one - suggestions please
    • 10th Jan 19, 7:54 PM
    Replacement for HP Officejet J5780 all-in-one - suggestions please 10th Jan 19 at 7:54 PM
    Can the Forum members suggest a replacement for my HP Officejet J5780 all-in-one that has served me (reasonably) well for the past few years?

[I asked this question on the forum a year ago but didn't get any replies and put off doing anything - I must get a new all-in-one now as current one has developed a fault]

I use the machine at home for everyday printing in black and white and colour (about 20 pages a week), photocopying (a couple of pages a week), frequent scans and the occasional FAX.

I would prefer to get a new all-in-one that will automatically do duplex/double sided printing - the current HP does this manually which is a bit of a pain.

I would want the new all-in-one to be able to feed and print envelopes (normal letter sizes) - the current HP is hopeless at this - it either doesn't pickup/feed the envelopes or they get jammed.

I'm looking to pay 100ish. John Lewis currently have the HP OfficejetPro 6970 on offer at 79.99 which looks to suit my needs - does anyone have any experience with this model or are there other manufacturers/models that I should be looking at?

Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • arciere
    • By arciere 11th Jan 19, 9:14 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    arciere
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:14 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:14 AM
    How much are the cartridges? I print less than you do and I have a HP LaserJet 276. I'm about to change the first toner after approx 2,000 pages (they are still the 'demo' ones).
    What I'm trying to say is that if you don't print photos or similar, a LaserJet printer normally saves you money in the long run.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 11th Jan 19, 9:25 AM
    • 11,247 Posts
    • 12,053 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:25 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:25 AM
    John Lewis currently have the HP OfficejetPro 6970 on offer at 79.99 which looks to suit my needs - does anyone have any experience with this model or are there other manufacturers/models that I should be looking at?
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Traveller
    I have the very similar HP6960 - it's a couple of years old now, and has been very capable throughout that time, with no significant tantrums. The printer does double-sided printing automatically, and also has a paper-feed bin for scanning (with manual double-sided for this feature, which works painlessly). I print labels and envelopes which it handles well, although I would prefer a second blank paper input, which it does not have. Output paper stacking is a bit rudimentary.

I use HP Instant Ink, which works very well with the printer ordering its own cartridges in plenty of time before they run out. 50 pages per month costs 1.99 per month, or there is a free plan for 15 pages per month. Be aware that even printing one label or a small photo "costs" 1 page.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 11-01-2019 at 9:30 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Yorkshire Traveller
    • By Yorkshire Traveller 13th Jan 19, 11:13 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Yorkshire Traveller
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:13 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:13 AM
    Thanks for your help and advice arciere and Cornucopia.

I've ordered the 6970 from John Lewis.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

239Posts Today

1,673Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin