Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eeymgse
    • By eeymgse 10th Jan 19, 7:34 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    eeymgse
    Hiscox home insurance 15% up for 2019
    • 10th Jan 19, 7:34 PM
    Hiscox home insurance 15% up for 2019 10th Jan 19 at 7:34 PM
    >15% increase on contents insurance for 2019 vs 2018 renewal. No claims, no policy changes.

Two of the call centre people told me that the average premium increase for 2019 ranges between 16-24% for all UK home policies. They explained that this was down to inflation of >3%, people claiming too much last year, blah blah.

Looking beyond the worryingly poor grasp of the maths of averages, this seems crazy high.

Of course I'll just go somewhere else but I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this?
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 10th Jan 19, 8:25 PM
    • 5,602 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:25 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:25 PM
    Hiscox are premium insurer, I would shop around tbh, try Chubb for example or the mainstream ones on the comparison websites
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • Domain.Rider
    • By Domain.Rider 12th Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Domain.Rider
    • 12th Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    I switched to Age UK house & contents insurance a year ago and just received my quote for the next year - up 22.5% if I continue paying monthly, 14% if I pay a lump sum.

Plus the standard excess is up 50 from 45 to 95!

I'll give them a call to see if they'll negotiate (I doubt it) and look around for better deals - always the optimist!
    • GiraffePC
    • By GiraffePC 13th Jan 19, 12:22 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    GiraffePC
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:22 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:22 PM
    Same here with Age UK. In the same delivery was a quotation from SAGA for about 75% of Age UK's.
    Ironically, I'd had SAGA salver years ago and switched to Age UK due to increases. Age UK was very good - minimal rises, even one decrease(!) - but now has gone the 'greedy' route, same as SAGA did.
    What goes around comes around.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

918Users online

Martin's Twitter