Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boozercruiser
    • By boozercruiser 10th Jan 19, 3:54 PM
    • 738Posts
    • 240Thanks
    boozercruiser
    Badly Fitting Dentures
    • 10th Jan 19, 3:54 PM
    Badly Fitting Dentures 10th Jan 19 at 3:54 PM
    Hi.
    I see that some of my helpers from a few years ago last time in respect of a Dental query are still here. I bet they don't remember me though!

I will try and keep a very long story short!
    Unfortunately recently I have had to move into a denture situation in respect of 4 top teeth. No dentures on lower.
    I had teeth taken out 6 months ago, and dentures made around 2 months ago at a cost of 195.00 (Wales). Right from the start of having the dentures in my mouth they felt ill fitting and slightly loose.

Trying to talk properly with them has been mission impossible, and trying to eat with them invariably had them moving.
    After a month of this I went back to the dentist and part of what I had to say to him that the dentures to me were not fit for purpose.
    I was asked to give them a longer try by the dentist as he felt that there wasn't anything really wrong with the dentures.
    Yesterday I went back to the dentist who as it says on my Personal Dental Plan:

cam, HI, TBI, Reline Dentures, Periodontal Treatment .
    Bold. I think on the form that is ticked as Relining rebasing and additions to dentures.

I was charged a further 45 for that, which to me was like throwing good money after bad.
    Surely any adjustment needed to the dentures should have been made inside the original 195 charge?
    I have to go back for a review in a weeks time.
    I wish to say that I am not complaining about the Dentist in essence, as I do think he has done his best.

But.
    As far as I am concerned right now after what I consider to be a fair try out, I am left with dentures I feel are still not right, and as things stand are only fit for the bin.
    I have indicated to the dentist that it looks like I shall have to start the complaints process. Further I said to to the receptionist to convey to the Dentist I was only paying the 45 'under protest' as I wasn't expecting that.

Can someone please advise me why I should have to pay either for the dentures, or for further work on those dentures in order to try and correct obviously poorly fitting dentures in the first place?
    Particularly as inside a month I said to the Dentist that I was unhappy with them, saying the were not fit for purpose.

Just to add.
    I feel that I really have tried hard with these dentures, and keeping them in during the whole day, only removing them at bed time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kenny
    You've heard the budget speech now you've been told. Make lots of cash then die before you're old 'Cause we're gonna Tax Gran that's what it is We're gonna Tax Gran freeze her allowances. You better hope next winter isn't cold. We're gonna Tax Gran, we're glad she's there.To subsidize the Billionaires. We're gonna Tax Gran and this is wrong!
Page 2
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 12th Jan 19, 6:36 AM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    brook2jack
    Hi.

Yesterday I went back to the dentist who as it says on my Personal Dental Plan:

cam, HI, TBI, Reline Dentures, Periodontal Treatment .
    Bold. I think on the form that is ticked as Relining rebasing and additions to dentures.

Kenny
    Originally posted by boozercruiser
    Actually you have said you are having treatment for gum disease , periodontal treatment is treatment for gum disease and it is band two.
    • motivated
    • By motivated 12th Jan 19, 7:14 AM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 5,066 Thanks
    motivated
    I have the top 4 on a denture and within a week of having them fitted I used Polygrip flavour free adhesive. It was really just for my own peace of mind. I was petrified of them flying out at a most inconvenient time . I found it a Godsend. It keeps my denture firmly in place and very comfortable.
    Good luck
    Last edited by motivated; 12-01-2019 at 8:44 AM.
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 12th Jan 19, 8:42 AM
    • 17,031 Posts
    • 283,594 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Thank you Dizzy.
    No Dizzy I haven't.
    And I would have thought having only recently having dentures fitted, I should not need that.
    Perhaps after a couple of years or more.
    Originally posted by boozercruiser
    After extraction your gums shrink. Your dentures were moulded when you still had teeth so would have been based on your gum shape at the time. If your current set are your first since extraction then they will be a temporary set, with a plan for you to go back in a few months for a new mould to be taken. My understanding is that gum shrinkage happens at different rates/speeds for different people.

Polygrip max costs about 4 per tube and will help you massively
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

Aims for 2919 - walk 1000 miles - 0/1000. Savings up to 8000 - 3000/8000. Lose 50lb - 0/50
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Jan 19, 8:51 AM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 10,771 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Actually you have said you are having treatment for gum disease , periodontal treatment is treatment for gum disease and it is band two.
    Originally posted by brook2jack
    brook2jack I'm not the OP but wanted to say thanks for your non-judgmental approach to helping him on the thread. Definitely what I would hope for from a HCP.
    • boozercruiser
    • By boozercruiser 12th Jan 19, 10:54 AM
    • 738 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    boozercruiser
    brook2jack I'm not the OP but wanted to say thanks for your non-judgmental approach to helping him on the thread. Definitely what I would hope for from a HCP.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    And being the op, I would totally agree with those sentiments Red Squirrel.
    You've heard the budget speech now you've been told. Make lots of cash then die before you're old 'Cause we're gonna Tax Gran that's what it is We're gonna Tax Gran freeze her allowances. You better hope next winter isn't cold. We're gonna Tax Gran, we're glad she's there.To subsidize the Billionaires. We're gonna Tax Gran and this is wrong!
    • boozercruiser
    • By boozercruiser 12th Jan 19, 11:00 AM
    • 738 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    boozercruiser
    I was trying to quote from the rather faint and poorly written words that were on the 'Care and assessment treatment required' treatment plan written by my dentist.
    That is not to say this is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

I didn't say that personally.

PS.
    Just saying like:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6583581/Costly-scale-polish-service-dentist-unnecessary-good-teeth.html

For years, dentists have insisted that a traditional scale and polish is an essential part of proper oral hygiene.

But the often costly service may be unnecessary for those with good teeth after evidence found it makes ‘no difference’ to dental health.

The professional clean involves scraping to remove deposits of plaque and a polish to make the teeth smooth. Many patients are offered the treatment during a check-up once their teeth have been examined.

Now a review of evidence has found that for most adults with healthy teeth who regularly visit the dentist, the treatment makes ‘little or no difference’ to certain indicators of dental health such as the early stages of gum disease. There may also be ‘little or no difference’ in plaque levels over two years.
    Last edited by boozercruiser; 12-01-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 12th Jan 19, 5:17 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    brook2jack
    If a treatment plan you quoted says TBI and periodontal treatment as you said yours did , (tbi tooth brush instruction , periodontal treatment is treatment of gum disease ) and the vast majority of your postings have been about the cost of scaling or dentures for teeth you have had out either you have gum disease or you are not quoting your treatment plan.

As said several times before the major factor in how healthy your gums and mouth are is not the one hour a year you may spend in the dentists chair but what you do with your oral care and diet in 8759 hours in the rest of the year. All a dentist /hygienist does is try to give you the information to make changes in your oral care to improve your health and remove calculus/plaque to give you a "blank sheet" to start again.

If you carry on in the same way within 24 to 48 hours the calculus starts to reform and you are back to square one.
    • boozercruiser
    • By boozercruiser 12th Jan 19, 8:43 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    boozercruiser
    If a treatment plan you quoted says TBI and periodontal treatment as you said yours did , (tbi tooth brush instruction , periodontal treatment is treatment of gum disease ) and the vast majority of your postings have been about the cost of scaling or dentures for teeth you have had out either you have gum disease or you are not quoting your treatment plan.

As said several times before the major factor in how healthy your gums and mouth are is not the one hour a year you may spend in the dentists chair but what you do with your oral care and diet in 8759 hours in the rest of the year. All a dentist /hygienist does is try to give you the information to make changes in your oral care to improve your health and remove calculus/plaque to give you a "blank sheet" to start again.

If you carry on in the same way within 24 to 48 hours the calculus starts to reform and you are back to square one.
    Thanks for that information Brook.
    I feel I am starting to go around in circles now, and possibly boring the toothbrush off everybody.
    I shall take on board all you say, though obviously there is an amount of begging to differ going on.
    I appreciate your valued input and thank you for your patience towards me without getting your hair off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin