Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bucki
    • By Bucki 10th Jan 19, 3:05 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Bucki
    Argos agent swearing on the phone ...
    • 10th Jan 19, 3:05 PM
    Argos agent swearing on the phone ... 10th Jan 19 at 3:05 PM
    Dear All,

I have come here to seek advise and see if anybody else has had issues with Argos.
    In December 2018 I purchased a Divan + Mattress worth over 1100.

I did call the customer service to have the divan upgraded to a 4 draw instead of 2.
    However, my English is not perfect, and the agent accent was not something I am used to ... and I tried to explain that I received 2 draws and want 4 draws instead bla bla bla.

Long story short: eventually she was having a hard time understanding my logic to what I anticipated and what I would like to have... eventually the phone conversation went something like:

Agent: "so you want a 2 draw bed then.?"
    Me: "no, I want a 4 draw bed..."
    Agent: "haaahhh (sight) f... hell"
    Me: "Did you just swear.... I want to speak to your manager cos u just swore at me"
    Agent: "no it was not me it was somebody else.."

Anyway, after talking to the manager I got a phone call back stating that "no swear words could be heard". When I asked to why would the agent say "it was not me it was somebody else" the manager said "I cannot answer that, I do not know".

Anyway, I escalated this matter to Argos HeadQuater via a complaint letter.
    I also asked for a copy of the phone conversation..

Today, I received an email (why not phoning me??) from an Executive who looked into this issue but again, he was not able to hear any swear words. Again, I asked him can you explain to why the agent would say that "it was not me it was somebody else" he replied with "I am unable to clarify that a swear word was mentioned".

So., in other words NOBODY can explain that and yet deny to hear any swear words !!
    Of course the Agent did not say it out-loud but was in sort of off the phone as she was frustrated.

Bottom line, all claim not to hear the swearing but can't explain to why the agent would say "it was not me it was somebody else" which does imply something was said, right?

As an offer they asked me to accept 30.
    Really ?? 30 for all the hassle and trouble... wow.

Any advise you can provide .... ??

PS: I am waiting for the copy of the phone conversation.
Page 4
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Jan 19, 8:19 PM
    • 5,914 Posts
    • 34,395 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    At work in aviation, I use the therm Focke Wulf at work. If you were upset because if this, what do you want?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Jan 19, 9:38 PM
    • 23,273 Posts
    • 12,713 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Today, I received an email (why not phoning me??) .
    Originally posted by Bucki
    Perhaps they don't want any further accusations that their staff use the vernacular? :P

Accept the thirty quid..
    • Les79
    • By Les79 10th Jan 19, 10:28 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    Les79
    Take comfort in the fact that, if they didn't initially get sacked, you chasing this up is likely going to end up in a (usually young) minimum wage person getting an on-the-spot sacking.

Personally, I've worked in call centers and I've seen it first hand how they do this! It is particularly harsh when it happens in such a manner because it is almost a stitch up. That's why I tend to give employees one "pass" when dealing with them.... Obviously calling me a "!!!!ing !!!!!!!!", as apposed to what was said in your situation (a general phrase not directly aimed at you and potentially not even indirectly aimed at you), wouldn't warrant a "pass" but your example would.

I think you have done well for yourself in getting a 30 voucher. Take it and run! I have little understanding of why you are pursuing it any further though.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Jan 19, 8:48 AM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    DoaM
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding ... why did OP order a 2-drawer bed if they wanted a 4-drawer bed? Why did they phone up Argos rather than do the exchange online/in-store (depending on where/how it was purchased)?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Jan 19, 8:51 AM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    DoaM
    At work in aviation, I use the therm Focke Wulf at work.
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Reminds me of the old joke about a WW2 pilot in a school giving a talk about his aerial duels with Fockes and Messer!!!!!!ts.

Edit: how on earth does Messersch m i tt breach the swear filter?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 11th Jan 19, 9:04 AM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 4,283 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Edit: how on earth does Messersch m i tt breach the swear filter?
    Originally posted by DoaM

In the same way as S!!!!horpe - so glad I moved from there to Twatt
    • photome
    • By photome 11th Jan 19, 9:07 AM
    • 13,913 Posts
    • 9,443 Thanks
    photome
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding ... why did OP order a 2-drawer bed if they wanted a 4-drawer bed? Why did they phone up Argos rather than do the exchange online/in-store (depending on where/how it was purchased)?
    Originally posted by DoaM

Me too

I did ask if the OP got the bed they ordered (twice) but I am still no wiser.

If Op cant explain properly on here it is little wonder the call centre got frustrated
    • macman
    • By macman 11th Jan 19, 9:58 AM
    • 43,152 Posts
    • 18,348 Thanks
    macman
    For 30 a pop, I'll be happy to let Argos swear at me all day.
    I'm phoning them straight away...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • martinbsp
    • By martinbsp 11th Jan 19, 10:19 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    martinbsp
    Can't believe I wasted time reading this. Get real. There are much much bigger things you'll be encountering in life. The fact that you've already rejected a generous offer says it all.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 11th Jan 19, 3:08 PM
    • 10,124 Posts
    • 7,740 Thanks
    pmduk
    I was very good at hitting the mute button at the right time
    Originally posted by baza52
    It's survival 101

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/607352699724940942/
    Last edited by pmduk; 11-01-2019 at 6:49 PM.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 11th Jan 19, 3:41 PM
    • 5,795 Posts
    • 9,903 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Sorry if I did ... yes the 30 is there for me to take but I can still request a copy of the recording as per the GDPR rules implied.
    You do realise that there is nothing stopping them from removing the employees voice from the recording, so you'll only be able to hear yourself? Besides even if they do send you the full recording and you hear the swearing what are you going to do about it?

I'll ask the same question as the others have, how much do you want?
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 11th Jan 19, 5:35 PM
    • 7,828 Posts
    • 17,284 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    You do realise that there is nothing stopping them from removing the employees voice from the recording, so you'll only be able to hear yourself? Besides even if they do send you the full recording and you hear the swearing what are you going to do about it?

I'll ask the same question as the others have, how much do you want?
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    Well said Gavin, I was about to point out that GDPR applies to the employee as well as the customer

So...in summation, OP...

You ordered the wrong bed
    You called up and wanted it "upgraded" somehow (maybe collect old one on delivery of new one?)
    The call centre operator (likely awful shifts and minimum wage) did an intonation that, according to you was a swear word, but according to several people who have listened, was not
    You've been offered a nice goodwill gesture of 30
    You're pearl-clutching in the hope of more compensation

At this rate some poor employee is going to get fired because you ordered the wrong bed :/

30 is a standard goodwill gesture from a complaint, and no company is obliged to offer this but many do.

It's not worth QA's life for them to not report back on calls correctly.

Seriously, kids probably say worse when their parents can't hear. Go about your life.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Starmer4PM #Bremainer
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 11th Jan 19, 6:56 PM
    • 13,228 Posts
    • 18,280 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    At work in aviation, I use the therm Focke Wulf at work. If you were upset because if this, what do you want?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    And there's Fokker, founded by Dutch man Antony Focker - in fact, the makers of that follow up to "Meet the Parents" had to prove to the MPAA that Fokker was a real name and not an attempt to insert a profanity (because the Yanks are still that damned prudish).
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 13th Jan 19, 3:37 AM
    • 13,274 Posts
    • 10,586 Thanks
    unholyangel
    There is a law that makes it a crime to use obscene language likely to cause distress or fear - but the phrase mentioned would fall far far short of the bar set for that offence.

There is nothing in law which entitles you to compensation for hearing a swear word. Even if there was, in civil claims damages tend to be awarded based on actual loss and there has been no actual loss here. It hasn't cost you money. It hasn't caused injury.

Maybe the recording software doesn't record background noise. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Hell is also regarded as a swear word by some. How much compensation should we expect from you?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 13th Jan 19, 11:08 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    I guess you like to be sworn at for a service you paid ...
    Some people would pay good money for such a service LOL!
    • John G Jones
    • By John G Jones 13th Jan 19, 11:17 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    John G Jones
    My bad, maybe I should take my time when typing in English, as I do speak three other languages and I do tend to get words mixed up. Anyway, "f... hell" is an expression but should that be tolerated? Also, I was talking to the agent and therefore the "f... hell" is directed to me.

Indeed, I called after I have received the items, read the original thread.
    I phoned and asked for an upgrade ... and that is where it ended.

She was frustrated but THAT IS NOT MY PROBLEM!
    She works for a company who meant to represent it professionally, right?

F... is still F.... therefore is a swear word.
    You are coming across as pretty vindictive at this point, and grasping.

To answer your question, yes, it should be tolerated. Your English is poor, you seem confused yourself about what you were asking for, and the poor agent let something slip when frustrated at having to deal with you.

People have bad days, and sometimes slip up. Making this big a deal,of it is not a normal response.
    Last edited by John G Jones; 13-01-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    • Bucki
    • By Bucki 14th Jan 19, 8:45 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Bucki
    WOW this topic has gone viral!

Even more worrying is having to read comments of people who have noooooooooo clue what went on during the phone conversation but yet think they know everything and have the balls to actually bully you... well done on you surely that is how you been brought up!

As per my English: it is not poor at all considering that I do speak 3 other languages fluently.
    Now, how many other languages do you speak?? NONE! Besides that, I did not come here to get my English checked but never mind....

Indeed, there were some great feedback & advise and I thank them sincerely.

Case closed: Argos have increased to 100 instead which I have accepted.
    Last edited by Bucki; 14-01-2019 at 9:10 AM.
    • martinbsp
    • By martinbsp 14th Jan 19, 9:15 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    martinbsp
    Case closed: Argos have increased to 100 instead which I have accepted.
    The needle on the "I'm telling porkies" meter has just broken...
    • Bucki
    • By Bucki 14th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Bucki
    The needle on the "I'm telling porkies" meter has just broken...
    Originally posted by martinbsp

Don't be jealous...
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 14th Jan 19, 9:27 AM
    • 3,331 Posts
    • 4,476 Thanks
    George Michael
    Besides that, I did not come here to get my English checked but never mind....
    So why did you come here then?
    It certainly wasn't for:
    Any advise you can provide .... ??
    because the only thing you wanted to read were posts agreeing with your opinion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

919Users online

Martin's Twitter