Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 9th Jan 19, 10:11 PM
    • 3,609Posts
    • 583Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Suitable android phone?
    • 9th Jan 19, 10:11 PM
    Suitable android phone? 9th Jan 19 at 10:11 PM
    My wife is looking at replacing her iPhone 6S with an android. It's a little difficult looking in to it online because it seems everyone wants to steer you towards Samsung's latest top end Galaxy phone when that may or may not be suitable.

She's put off the prices of these top end phones these days BUT with that said if they're the most suitable thing for her then they're the most suitable.

She takes a lot of photos / videos and aside from that it's just browsing - so Google Chrome, various apps, facebook, instagram, pintrest that kind of thing. Nothing that i would imagine would be resource intensive.

The battery couldn't be any worse than the iPhone 6S as that's already not the best. So same or better.

And it also needs to be fairly responsive, like the iPhone 6S is. I say this because i had a cheap Android phone for a few days before sending it back due to the keyboard being laggy as hell making typing totally pointless.

She's currently looking at the Huwei (spelling?) P20 lite amongst others but is really a bit lost as to where to go with it due to so much choice.

Recommendations? Don't want to spend a bomb if she doesn't have to.

Page 2
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 10th Jan 19, 3:48 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    RumRat
    If you don't go with a Samsung, make sure that you go with an Android phone that's branded with 'Android One'.
    This will ensure you get updates etc quickly and give you a good Android experience.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 10th Jan 19, 5:16 PM
    • 2,363 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    20aday
    I've got the Nokia 5 and the battery life isn't half bad, depending on your usage.

Am hoping Android P will be more fluid when HMD Global Oy release it and the camera isn't the best but it does what I need and is 'pure' Android.

I echo some of the previous comments with trying handsets with Android One.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • alanjuk
    • By alanjuk 10th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    alanjuk
    Another vote for Moto, I have the G5 plus and am very pleased with it
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 10th Jan 19, 5:53 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    mksysb
    Sony phones are very good. I've had a Z5 for quite a while now.
    • whyigetmorelikes
    • By whyigetmorelikes 11th Jan 19, 6:22 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    whyigetmorelikes
    Honor play could be a good choice. Low price. Itís fast and performs just as well as more expensive phones.
    • markfj
    • By markfj 11th Jan 19, 10:28 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    markfj
    Really like my P20, and I also really like the Honor 10 after using it too. Personally have had a couple of samsungs I really didnt rate at all, but glad to have tried Huawei so far
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 12th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 3,609 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Honor play could be a good choice.
    Originally posted by whyigetmorelikes
    She was actually looking at this.

And as it turns out i got the wrong phone. It's the Mate 20 Lite she was considering, not the P20 Lite.

She's wondering how it stacks up vs the iPhone 6S for starters and also how it stacks up vs similarly priced Androids. From listening to what she's looking at, so long as the battery lasts a day she's happy (as she charges at night anyway).

It seems to be the camera and the power (RAM/processor?) - how smooth and responsive the thing is, that bothers her more than anything else. So long as she isn't taking a backwards step from the iPhone 6S on anything then she should be good.

• JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 12th Jan 19, 5:33 PM
    • 3,609 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    I have an S9. Really love the image and video quality of it. Worth the cost.
    Originally posted by jeradon
    What are they at these days? £500? £600?

Take the lower of the 2, so £500. The phone she's been looking at (Mate 20 Lite) is £279 in Curry's right now i believe.

So in the case of my wife, why would you recommend she gets a Samsung Galaxy S9? What does the Galaxy S9 give that the Mate 20 Lite doesn't that would justify the extra £220 spend?

Not challenging you in any way here, just that at the end of the day the thread is about finding a recommendation for her for getting a good Android phone for her needs without spending over the odds/unnecessarily. I'm curious why you think that spending any less than the Galaxy S9 would be a bad idea.

• vic_sf49
    • By vic_sf49 12th Jan 19, 6:54 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    vic_sf49
    I was torn between the Motorola G6, and the (Huawei) Honor 9 lite. After a bit of a test in JL, I went with the Honor (back in September) and I'm seriously impressed.

So impressed, that I've since bought a Huawei tablet.

I've nothing against Samsung's, but I find them a bit pricey compared with a similar spec'd alternative.

(I've never used an I-gadget, so can't comment on how they compare.)
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 12th Jan 19, 9:44 PM
    • 3,609 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    I've nothing against Samsung's, but I find them a bit pricey compared with a similar spec'd alternative.
    Originally posted by vic_sf49
    And that's the thing - can she get the same or pretty close to for much less. Would she be simply be paying for 'the name' with the Samsung?

And finally, is it worth the extra, that's the big question. If the answer is yes then fine, but when the difference in price is so much I do wonder whether the better value is 'further down' the pecking order.

• Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 3,344 Posts
    • 1,778 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    She was actually looking at this.

And as it turns out i got the wrong phone. It's the Mate 20 Lite she was considering, not the P20 Lite.

She's wondering how it stacks up vs the iPhone 6S for starters and also how it stacks up vs similarly priced Androids. From listening to what she's looking at, so long as the battery lasts a day she's happy (as she charges at night anyway).

It seems to be the camera and the power (RAM/processor?) - how smooth and responsive the thing is, that bothers her more than anything else. So long as she isn't taking a backwards step from the iPhone 6S on anything then she should be good.
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    Try https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3 to compare various phones spec wise (there's a performance index at the end with figures derived from their testing), for hands on experience you'd have to look for online reviews.

The Mate 20 Lite is bigger physically with a much bigger screen and more power with a battery over twice the size than the 6S, there's no competition whatsoever (it is 3 years younger so no surprise really).

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9284&idPhone2=7242
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 13th Jan 19, 3:35 PM
    • 3,609 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Try https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3 to compare various phones spec wise (there's a performance index at the end with figures derived from their testing), for hands on experience you'd have to look for online reviews.

The Mate 20 Lite is bigger physically with a much bigger screen and more power with a battery over twice the size than the 6S, there's no competition whatsoever (it is 3 years younger so no surprise really).

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9284&idPhone2=7242
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I've done some comparisons myself but from memory it's not always a black-&-white case.

I know one of the phones she was looking at had a processor of 2.2Ghz whereas the other was something like 2.3x Ghz.

I don't imagine the difference to be anything noticeable? (RAM was same at 4GB IIRC).
    Though i seem to recall asking about this when i was building a PC, where you can have a lower number processor speed costing more than a higher number. I was told there's more to it than the number alone. Quality of parts and other factors.

• Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 13th Jan 19, 3:40 PM
    • 23,037 Posts
    • 57,799 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I traded my Moto for an Honor 9 Lite this Christmas, I'm very impressed by what it can do.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 13th Jan 19, 8:34 PM
    • 3,609 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Just to say - she's bought the Mate 20 Lite. £270 from Curry's. They do a £100 deal for her old phone but when they're going between £150-£200 on Marketplace/eBay then she's going to try that first. Marketplace anyway, eBay as a last resort.

Should work out that she gets the Huawei for around £100 so not bad.

• chrisw
    • By chrisw 13th Jan 19, 10:18 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    chrisw
    Just to say - she's bought the Mate 20 Lite. £270 from Curry's.
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    It would be interesting to hear how it compares to the 6s.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 14th Jan 19, 8:55 PM
    • 3,609 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    It would be interesting to hear how it compares to the 6s.
    Originally posted by chrisw
    She's waiting on a decent screen protector coming before she uses it but i'll try remember to post back after she'd had some use out of it.

• Jonbvn
    • By Jonbvn 15th Jan 19, 2:09 AM
    • 5,326 Posts
    • 5,599 Thanks
    Jonbvn
    It's another recommendation for Huawei from me.

I have a P20 Pro and after 6 months of living with it, I still rate it. Great battery, decent response and the camera setup is still one of the best - although with the model now coming up to a year old even Huawei have managed to create better in their Mate 20 Pro.

The P20 Pro is still quite pricey. Maybe £450 upwards. Moving down the price scale, there are still some decent phones out there but they start losing the fancier cameras, a bit of battery capacity, cheaper screens (although if you see how much it costs to change a screen on 'flagship' models, maybe not a terrible thing) etc. Coming from an iPhone 6 though, you aren't going to be worse off.

The P20 lite has already been mentioned as good value. The new Honor 10 Lite is also a solid contender. But then Honor is another Huawei brand. In a lot of specs the 2 models are similar. Either would probably be suitable.
    Originally posted by Brummie85
    I bought a P20 pro for my wife before Xmas. I can't recommend it enough. The battery life is great at around 2 days and the quality of the camera/photographs far exceeds anything I have ever seen from a smartphone.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

237Posts Today

4,279Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin