Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 9th Jan 19, 4:30 PM
    • 660Posts
    • 91Thanks
    Seagull27
    Rural property - just found out there's no broadband after moving in. Any advice please?
    • 9th Jan 19, 4:30 PM
    Rural property - just found out there's no broadband after moving in. Any advice please? 9th Jan 19 at 4:30 PM
    Hi all

We've just bought and moved into a rural property in Wales. Before purchasing, we checked with several providers who said they had tested our line (we had the land line number as well as the post code) and that we could definitely get broadband but it might be slow. We went with John Lewis. We went live last week and got nothing by way of internet. Two engineer visits later and we've been told we cannot get broadband where we are no matter what.

Had we known this we would have thought twice about buying the house. JL are saying they'll let us out of the contract, but nothing more. We feel like we've been missold and that this will have a huge effect on our lives and also on the potential value of the house. Without the net it's hard to do research, but a brief look might have turned up similar scenarios where people have had compensation in this situation. Any thoughts or advice would be great.

The plot does thicken though.... Our nearest neighbour to the west has fibre available. The trouble is he's 900m away. A quick general chat with BT today and it would seem they'd have no interest in signing us up and then getting us connected. Understandably... We'll speak to the other ISPs and see what they say, but I'm not holding my breath. Does anyone think it's a possibility, as Open Reach seem to think that it is. Open Reach also said that we cannot approach them directly about the work needed to get fibre, it has to be through a company. So near yet so far!!! Again, any info on this would be fantastic, or any other avenues to explore; although I should add that we're already exploring satellite, res q, etc. though looking at them as a last resort, and they're not without their problems and may not even be possible.

Cheers
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 9th Jan 19, 4:45 PM
    • 9,253 Posts
    • 11,088 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 9th Jan 19, 4:45 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 4:45 PM
    If you have a boundary with your neighbour, and can find someone with a mole plough, it's cheap and easy to lay 900 metres of fibre across private land and share his connection. Otherwise, wireless link.

http://www.tegola.org.uk/howto/
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 9th Jan 19, 5:18 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 9th Jan 19, 5:18 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 5:18 PM
    Contact the Welsh government and see what help they can offer
    https://beta.gov.wales/go-superfast/what-are-my-options
    • venomx
    • By venomx 9th Jan 19, 5:30 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    venomx
    • 9th Jan 19, 5:30 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 5:30 PM
    If you can get 4/5G on a mobile sim with unlimited data and tether it, that could be an option ?
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 9th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Seagull27
    • 9th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

The 900m is a combination of several different fields, woodland pockets, streams, and two bridges. Plus, ironically, I don't think the house is connected to fibre, it just had it on the pole outside the house. Salt in the wound!

Thanks for the link to the gov page, I'll take a look...

We can't get any mobile signal at all!!! We've tried all 4 networks However, EE are saying we should get something. So far we've only tried an ASDA SIM. They use EE, but EE have assured us that an EE "pure" SIM will be different. They're in the post and we'll see, but I don't anticipate anything quick, if at all.

Thanks for the responses and keep em coming. We need the internet!!!
    • J B
    • By J B 9th Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    J B
    • 9th Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    Where in Wales are you?

We use https://www.airband.co.uk for our internet
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 9th Jan 19, 9:37 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 4,984 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    • 9th Jan 19, 9:37 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 9:37 PM
    When we were in Wales, we got help with Satellite Internet. It was quite slow, but it was there. It was the upload speed that was poor. This might still be available, so you can get something!
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

15 February 2019

Mortgage debt - 78,400
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Jan 19, 10:15 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 12,011 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 9th Jan 19, 10:15 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 10:15 PM
    If you put your phone number into the BT Wholesale checker, what does it say?

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

A screen capture using the windows snipping tool and uploaded to an image host would be best, trying to cut and paste the text from the site breaks the formatting
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Jan 19, 9:39 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 2,030 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:39 AM
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:39 AM
    Had we known this we would have thought twice about buying the house. JL are saying they'll let us out of the contract, but nothing more. We feel like we've been missold and that this will have a huge effect on our lives and also on the potential value of the house. Without the net it's hard to do research, but a brief look might have turned up similar scenarios where people have had compensation in this situation. Any thoughts or advice would be great.
    Originally posted by Seagull27
    Compensation from who exactly? JL who have agreed to cancel your service without ETC's? Good luck with that one regardless of any other cases you may have found.

Satellite looks like your only option given your further posts.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 10th Jan 19, 10:12 AM
    • 11,929 Posts
    • 5,341 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Poor mobile no internet = lack of due diligence by someone .
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 10th Jan 19, 12:38 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    We can't get any mobile signal at all!!! We've tried all 4 networks However, EE are saying we should get something. So far we've only tried an ASDA SIM. They use EE, but EE have assured us that an EE "pure" SIM will be different.
    Sounds like utter tosh to me. They use exactly the same network.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 10th Jan 19, 12:51 PM
    • 2,169 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    tacpot12
    A router with a 3/4G SIM and a high-gain external aerial might be able to get you a near broadband service.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Jan 19, 12:52 PM
    • 15,891 Posts
    • 22,239 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    We can't get any mobile signal at all!!!
    No mobile signal doesn't necessarily mean no data signal.

At our place in Wales we have no phone line or mobile signal, however, we can pick up a (admittedly weak) 4G data signal on the Three 800Mhz network.

We use a Huawei B310 router.

You can check coverage here...

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage

Three 4G HomeFi...

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

They offer 100Gb plans but you need to visit a 3 store to get them. They will also give you a discount if you are an existing 3 customer.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 10-01-2019 at 12:55 PM.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Jan 19, 3:21 PM
    • 20,409 Posts
    • 14,704 Thanks
    molerat
    Sounds like utter tosh to me. They use exactly the same network.
    Originally posted by jaybeetoo
    Other suppliers using the EE network do not always get access to the full range of frequencies, PlusNet do not have access to 800mhz I believe.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 11th Jan 19, 6:59 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Seagull27
    Thanks for the info, tips and advice. Plenty to look into...

@onomatopoeia99 - I've taken a screenshot from the link you gave but can't upload it without WiFi! So I'll upload as soon as I can. Let me know if it shows enough to see what you need to see??

@Colin_Maybe - I don't hold out much hope but figure it's worth pursuing. You never know!

@JJ Egan - what do you think I should have done beyond asking the providers whether we can get broadband there?

@jaybeetoo - not what several people at EE have told me. Apparently they don't get the same level of service from the masts. Their words, not mine.

I've tried Sims from all four networks and the only one that works is O2, so long as you are on one particular window sill and don't move it! I'll try hanging out of said window when I get home and if the signal is more stable/better, look into repeaters.
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 13th Jan 19, 8:45 AM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    Poor mobile no internet = lack of due diligence by someone .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    First thing people ask in my area...........
    Some people will not even view a house at all if there is no BB / mobile signal.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 13th Jan 19, 9:57 AM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 12,011 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    First thing people ask in my area...........
    Some people will not even view a house at all if there is no BB / mobile signal.
    Originally posted by greyteam1959
    Yep, when I moved in 2010 broadband was right at the top of my list of requirements. Most estate agents didn't get it, and started talking about catchment areas and en-suites
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • Theunisse
    • By Theunisse 14th Jan 19, 8:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Theunisse
    I'd second Owain's response - great article on this precise problem in this month's PC Pro magazine. That was about a village in rural Wales that has taken the diy route and now has some of the fastest fibre broadband in the country!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,335Posts Today

6,854Users online

Martin's Twitter