Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mking007
    • By mking007 9th Jan 19, 10:43 AM
    • 262Posts
    • 28Thanks
    mking007
    Money transfer credit card - best rate options? Pay yourself using reader?
    • 9th Jan 19, 10:43 AM
    Money transfer credit card - best rate options? Pay yourself using reader? 9th Jan 19 at 10:43 AM
    looking for a money transfer card (transfer money to bank account directly) currently nbma is 2.99% for 28 months

but was looking at the option to get it for 1.75% by getting a personal card reader izettle.
    if I got a 0% credit card for purchases then pay myself into my bank account. then pay it off monthly as normally, would that work?

I know the card reader is currently 22 but factoring that in, it would still work out cheaper plus I've a card reader as well.

anyone done something similar?
Page 1
    • onlyfoolsandparking
    • By onlyfoolsandparking 9th Jan 19, 1:45 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 969 Thanks
    onlyfoolsandparking
    • 9th Jan 19, 1:45 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 1:45 PM
    Yes it can be done but only if you have a Merchant account, that is an account connected usually to a business account for processing card payments. I don't know if it is possible to pay into your own personal account without a business/merchant account although I could be wrong its been quite a few years since I operated a business taking card payments and I know rules change fast these days.
    The real meaning of life is the pursuit of happiness and avoidance of pain
    • Rockye
    • By Rockye 12th Jan 19, 5:06 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rockye
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:06 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:06 PM
    It can be done by a Merchant account.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 12th Jan 19, 7:47 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 865 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:47 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:47 PM
    Are you a retailer? To get a transaction from your card, through a POS device and onto a Visa/MasterCard you will need to have a contract with a processor (izettle, presumably). In turn, that provider will process your transactions through Visa/MasterCard for you and will be wanting to charge you a certain amount and will probably expect a minimum monthly sum from you.

I haven't studied izettle at all so I have no idea what a contract with them would entail but it is surely unlikely that they will sell you everything, set up a contract with you and then allow you to simply process 1 transaction for a fee of 1.75% and finish.

They will probably want to know your turnover in order to create a proper charging structure for what they believe to be your retail business (that isn't).

Why not give it a try and report back here with how you got on?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 12th Jan 19, 8:42 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,322 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:42 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:42 PM
    Depends on what the transaction gets classed as.

It might not get classed as a purchase
    • onlyfoolsandparking
    • By onlyfoolsandparking 12th Jan 19, 9:24 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 969 Thanks
    onlyfoolsandparking
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:24 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:24 PM
    Are you a retailer? To get a transaction from your card, through a POS device and onto a Visa/MasterCard you will need to have a contract with a processor (izettle, presumably). In turn, that provider will process your transactions through Visa/MasterCard for you and will be wanting to charge you a certain amount and will probably expect a minimum monthly sum from you.

I haven't studied izettle at all so I have no idea what a contract with them would entail but it is surely unlikely that they will sell you everything, set up a contract with you and then allow you to simply process 1 transaction for a fee of 1.75% and finish.

They will probably want to know your turnover in order to create a proper charging structure for what they believe to be your retail business (that isn't).

Why not give it a try and report back here with how you got on?
    Originally posted by Terry Towelling

Yes that is/was my understanding too, when I used to take cards for my business (about 5 years ago now) I had to show my bank my typical turnover plus give them an approximation of how many times in a month I would potentially take card as payment. Once I had given these figures they set me up with a merchant account (Global pay) and off I went, my typical charges were 0.75% for Visa/MasterCard payments and 0.27 per debit card transaction.

Depends on what the transaction gets classed as.

It might not get classed as a purchase
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter

I don't think it matters what it gets classed as I don't believe it can be done without being some sort of business/retailer with a merchant account.
    The real meaning of life is the pursuit of happiness and avoidance of pain
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

1,969Users online

Martin's Twitter