PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

After Greggs’ vegan sausage roll, what else would you veganise?

Comments

• Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    --Tony-- wrote: »

Looking at the ingredients list it looks about as natural as a Turkey Twizzler..... but as it’s Vegan it’s obviously hyper heathy, good for the planet and supports those huge industrial mega agribusinesses sell a Vegan lifestyle. What’s not to like?
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Maat wrote: »
    The other bit of advice I have is to get on social media. Join vegan groups. You do get the occasional judgemental twerp who might have a go if you want to go vegan

Completely agree..... was subjected to a hater when standing in line at my local McDonalds waiting to order my Vegan meal. Anyone would have thought I was supporting a mega corporation that slaughtered millions of animals a year when in fact I was just buying a heathy, cruelty free, good for the environment Vegan meal.

What do you think?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Imagine being able to support KFC after all these years with a purchase of a Vegan meal :beer:
    Possibly a transgression of the Trades Description Act 1968.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    --Tony-- wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on this?
    A vegan burger with added beetroot juice so it bleeds when you cut into it, why? A turn off for most?
    I don't even get why vegan food needs to resemble an animal product but fake blood?

https://www.theweek.co.uk/97709/bleeding-vegan-burger-arrives-in-uk-supermarkets

Apparently it has a really 'bloody' taste .. not my thing as I have not eaten meat since 3 years old, so have no taste for such things. But I did see somthing on YouTube wher a family tried it. All but the youngest child had eaten meat before becoming vegan while the youngest had been weaned onto a vegan diet, they also had a meat eating relative with them, all agreed it was very realistic and good, except the youngest child who described it (along the lines of) tasting like when you get a nosebleed !
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Well, after Greggs bowed to Peta’s demands for a Vegan “sausage” roll I’d like to see them turn there attention to Kentucky Fried Chicken.
    As such I’d like a Vegan ‘12 piece Bargain Bucket’ and maybe a Vegan ‘Boneless banquet’

Imagine being able to support KFC after all these years with a purchase of a Vegan meal :beer:

If you're ever in London, Temple of Seitan (Camden or Hackney) does a vegan fried 'chicken' burger, complete with cheese and mayo. They're fantastic, and my omnivore OH couldn't tell the difference between that and a KFC. I know you're being sarcastic, but others might want some vegan fried 'chicken'!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    This vegan surge is worrying me. I've been vegetarian since I was 11, revulsion not ethics.

I cannot bear the texture and idea of eating flesh. I suspect that non-meat eaters are going to be offered various Quorn-based meals which feel just like flesh. Urgh!

Get imaginative with vegetables!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • If you live near a Tesco or Asda, their 'own-brand' (it's Scheese in another style of packaging!) hard and soft dairy-free cheeses are really similar to the dairy versions. My favourites are the smoked cheese block - it melts really well for cheese on toast, grates nicely for pizza, and slices well for cheese on crackers :T Also, the garlic and herbs soft cheese is so similar to something like Boursin I couldn't eat it for the longest time because it's 'too real' :rotfl:

If you're looking for cheap dairy-free milk, Aldi do 59p soy milk and 99p almond milk, I enjoy soy in tea and almond milk on cereal. The cheapest almond milk I've seen is 39p a litre from Poundstretcher, believe it or not! :eek: They also have a dairy-free and vegan version of Ferrero Rocher (peanuts not hazelnuts though) and a raspberry or mint dark chocolate bar which tastes like a Bounty in a pack of five for about £1! I get all my vegan/gluten free rice cakes from Home Bargains, plain go nicely with the above cheese and they're only 39p a pack.

That's most of my cheapy vegan hacks :D How many blogs can I write on it? :rotfl:

Thank you Rhiannon, I've taken a picture of your post and am going to hunt down the cheese and experiment a bit with the milks.

I've found a fantastic fresh baked vegan bread in a health food store in Brighton. It was a little pricey though, and white bread when I normally eat very densely seedy bread. I bought some seedy oatcakes and some rye linseed bread, both high in Omega and things I've eaten a lot of previously, so it shouldn't be hard to cut out toast and load them up with yummy things.

The above wasn't very MSE, but I guess once I've found food I like I can hunt for cheaper.

On the MSE front I bought some vegan soups in tins. I have been eating paninis at work when I forget my lunch, so although the soups were pricey they work out about £3 cheaper a meal! and miles healthier.

I bought some sunflower 'mince' which I am going to try tonight.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • Maat wrote: »
    Vegan cheeses can be interesting so it's worth investigating a few different ones to find those you like.

Milk in tea and coffee used to be an issue. Some recommend coconut or oat milk or even nut or oat cream. Oatly's products are fabulous. As well as their cream and a lovely creme fraiche, they do a Barrista version of their oat milk which is supposed to be great in tea and coffee. The other alternative is your plant milk of choice which you heat in the microwave (don't let it boil) before putting it in your drink. That stops it curdling. Like with the cheeses, it's worth trying different ones until you find those you like. Schlagfix do a lovely range of creams and even sets of mini milk cartons you can carry around with you. Soyatoo do really nice squirty cream as well (great on Gaelic coffees). These last two firms can sometimes be found at independent health food stores, although I generally buy them online. I believe a couple of the supermarkets have started doing squirty vegan creams now, though.

Alpro and Swedish Glace do vegan ice creams, while some supermarket ice desserts as well as a few of the Ben & Jerry's range are vegan too. Food Heaven do a gorgeous range of ice creams as well as (I think it's the same brand) a vegan cheesecake (which I once had a whole one of for my dinner!)

It's worth taking a look not just at the Alpro and other vegan yogurts but in supermarkets' 'free from chilled' section (sometimes quite a small section). Tesco do beautiful creme caramels, for instance.

It's also worth perusing the supermarkets' websites as they all have a filter for 'vegan' products. Saves looking at every label.

For anyone wanting to try Veganuary Viva do a great 30 day pledge. I was vegan long before they started this but other people I've recommended it to have found it really helpful: https://30dayvegan.viva.org.uk/

The other bit of advice I have is to get on social media. Join vegan groups. You do get the occasional judgemental twerp who might have a go if you want to go vegan at your own pace (there are jerks in every field of life). But most are like me, who've been in your position and needed help making the transition and so are very willing to help others. I'd be happy to answer any questions on this forum, too, if I can.

As for the original question, I'd make everything vegan too. Fantastic food with a clear conscience. If I have to choose only one, though, I'll go for vegan maltesers. We have every other kind of treat you can think of but not that yet.

Maat, this was a fantastic post :) really helpful.

I think I'm going to take your advise and try different cheeses, and then I can hunt out the ones I like cheaper. I had a slice of vegan pizza yesterday in town and it was really yummy apart from the cheese, so I think it will take experimentation.

I tried Kelco coconut milk in my coffee this morning and could only drink a third of it. Normal tea I'm happy to cut out and replace with green teas and herbal tea, but I love the odd coffee so I thinK I'm going to try your suggestion of the Oatly barista almond milk next. I don't need it to taste the same as it did, just yummy in its own right.

Taken a picture of your post and I'm going to hunt down your suggestions. Also going to join the 30 day pledge in a couple more days after I have experimented a bit more with replacements :) admittedly I had cow milk butter this morning as I haven't yet bought new butter in. My partner will use up the old dairy though and may reduce her intake over all.
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • Theres some time artisan cheeses such as Tyne and I think the other is called Nutcrafter. I haven't been fortunate enough to try them yet.

I can't think of what I wish was vegan,probably most things are available its just having access to it or a case of it being launched in this country!?

Googled the Tyne cheese, it looks amazing!
    11K OP 31.03.19

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I've been vegetarian since I was 11, revulsion not ethics.

I cannot bear the texture and idea of eating flesh. I suspect that non-meat eaters are going to be offered various Quorn-based meals which feel just like flesh. Urgh!
    Ditto moi (although not properly vegetarian until I was an adult) but I support the vegan cause. The less harm, the better.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure