Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • first78
    • By first78 8th Jan 19, 7:47 AM
    • 859Posts
    • 403Thanks
    first78
    Laptop needed
    • 8th Jan 19, 7:47 AM
    Laptop needed 8th Jan 19 at 7:47 AM
    I need to buy a laptop as my iPad is on its last legs. Looking to spend 250 or less...am I likely to be able to get a decent laptop for this price? I'm not techie minded at all so would appreciate any advice.

I use my iPad for Skype, social media, photos and general browsing and completing job applications.

Can anyone recommend a suitable laptop please...prefer new to refurb. Thanks.
Page 1
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 8th Jan 19, 9:50 AM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 2,131 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 8th Jan 19, 9:50 AM
    • 8th Jan 19, 9:50 AM
    a laptop running Chrome would suit your needs............they are called chromebooks and they are many within that budget
    • first78
    • By first78 8th Jan 19, 9:53 AM
    • 859 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    first78
    • 8th Jan 19, 9:53 AM
    • 8th Jan 19, 9:53 AM
    a laptop running Chrome would suit your needs............they are called chromebooks and they are many within that budget
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    That's great, thanks! Is there anything specific that I should look out for when choosing one?
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 8th Jan 19, 10:03 AM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 2,131 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 8th Jan 19, 10:03 AM
    • 8th Jan 19, 10:03 AM
    That's great, thanks! Is there anything specific that I should look out for when choosing one?
    Try to get 4gb ram

Try Argos and Amazon or this one:
    https://uk-store.acer.com/acer-chromebook-15-cb3-532-silver#specifications
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 8th Jan 19, 10:20 AM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 2,131 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 8th Jan 19, 10:20 AM
    • 8th Jan 19, 10:20 AM
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9181047
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 8th Jan 19, 10:35 AM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 8th Jan 19, 10:35 AM
    • 8th Jan 19, 10:35 AM
    Originally posted by first78
    Unfortunately the Chromebook fans never tell you of it's limitations and this thread is no different.

I certainly wouldn't waste my money on such a thing. If the SD card that they use for storage fails, you'll have to throw the whole thing in the bin.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 8th Jan 19, 11:27 AM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 2,131 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 8th Jan 19, 11:27 AM
    • 8th Jan 19, 11:27 AM
    I have been using a Toshiba, Samsung and Acer Chromebooks for years and had not any failures even though they have all been knocked about a fair bit.

Still fast as the first day

Yes there are limitations but the poster only wants it mainly for browsing
    • arciere
    • By arciere 8th Jan 19, 11:37 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    arciere
    • 8th Jan 19, 11:37 AM
    • 8th Jan 19, 11:37 AM
    Pros and cons, like with everything.

Personally I have never used a Chromebook, probably never will, but in any case I wouldn't be too concerned about the storage.
    It's tiny, but it's not a Windows laptop, so I guess updates won't be that big, and if it fails within warranty you get it replaced, if it's out of warranty, it's likely that the value of the laptop will be so small for even considering a repair.

By the way, the same applies to iPads, which can be used pretty much for the same things (Skype, social media, browsing, etc), but they are much more expensive than this.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 9th Jan 19, 4:47 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 9th Jan 19, 4:47 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 4:47 PM
    If you after windows laptop, probably this
    https://www.ebuyer.com/835635-lenovo-v110-amd-a9-laptop-80td005puk

IMO, if you want a decent laptop, you will need 400 - 500
    • square bear
    • By square bear 13th Jan 19, 11:31 AM
    • 3,804 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    square bear
    Hi
    I've just seen a laptop in my local family-owned computer shop and was wondering if anyone can say if this is a good deal or if there are any online retailers can offer better?
    I'm aware that buying from my local shop not only helps them continue trading but also, if I have any issues with the laptop I can quite easily pop in to sort it out.
    However, I will consider online deals just to compare.
    Uses are for some gaming, Student work and general surfing.

This is the offer:

Lenovo V130 Laptop.
    Intel Core i3-7020U 2.3GHz Processor.
    4GB RAM.
    480GB SSD drive.
    15.6" HD LED Screen
    Intergrated Intel HD5500 Graphics.
    Webcam
    Wi-Fi
    HDMI
    Bluetooth
    Card Reader
    DVDRW
    Windows 10
    Full Internet Security (OEM)
    Free 5 year Labour Warranty, Delivery & Setup.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    • breals
    • By breals 13th Jan 19, 11:41 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    breals
    I have recently purchased a refurbished laptop on ebay - they may not be as bright or as shiny as a brand new one, but they are really good value - there is currently one on ebay with the following specs

ASUS VivoBook E406 14 Inch Celeron N3060 2.48 GHz 4GB 32GB eMMC Laptop - Grey.

This is only 148 - the company has sold 76 of them and it has a 5 star rating! you can also have it delivered to your local Argos store!

So if you are not fussed about having a brand new one out of the box, then this is a good alternative

Breals
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,603Posts Today

7,974Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• RT @MartinSLewis: I've had a few messages from people concerned that they've bought tickets from Viagogo and they heard my cautionary warni?

• Early days but it seems I'm in the 1 in 20 who don't listen to music. Funny people react with such shock at not? https://t.co/xrU3aaRF9J

• Follow Martin