Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SlovakianGuy
    • By SlovakianGuy 7th Jan 19, 9:58 AM
    • 157Posts
    • 58Thanks
    SlovakianGuy
    150 switch incentive from NatWest (2019)
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:58 AM
    150 switch incentive from NatWest (2019) 7th Jan 19 at 9:58 AM
    Just in case someone is interested (and eligible).
    Apply for an eligible account between the 7th of Jan and 15th of Feb 2019.

About 2 months ago someone said it was unlikely they will offer more than 125, so I switched in November. Damn...
Page 7
    • SamJ35
    • By SamJ35 17th Apr 19, 9:10 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    SamJ35
    Any idea if I have to keep the account open for a certain period of time, or can I switch away now that bonus is received?
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 17th Apr 19, 5:00 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Does anyone know if you get 150 x2 for switching a sole account and a joint account?
    Only one qualifies if you open both a single and a joint account.

A couple can each open a single account to benefit twice.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 17th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Any idea if I have to keep the account open for a certain period of time, or can I switch away now that bonus is received?
    Originally posted by SamJ35
    You will have kept account open for a few months anyway to get reward. Once reward is paid, cant see why they could stop you from switching again.

And anyway even though i was always was just using it as a dummy account to obtain switching bonuses, i have good reason to switch again as even though ive not really used it, nat west are quite rubbish.

You need a card reader to transfer money, but they dont send one as standard upon registering for online banking. And they dont tell you this until you try & move money.
    Their banking app doesnt work (well not if like me you have an earlier OS than android 6. My phone is only 2-3 years old, so far too early to not bothering looking at compatiblity issues)
    And i dont like it that the account number isnt quoted on the debit cards. If i want someone to transfer me some money, i need to log into the website (cos the app doesnt work) just to get my account & sort code. Other banks i can just look in my wallet.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 17th Apr 19, 10:21 PM
    • 30,580 Posts
    • 18,581 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    You need a card reader to transfer money, but they dont send one as standard upon registering for online banking. And they dont tell you this until you try & move money.
    Originally posted by Zero Sum
    You're not the first to claim that, but it's incorrect. It's all over their website, and in the online banking T&Cs we agree to when registering for online banking. One such example here...
    Getting started with Online Banking? Order your card-reader

A card-reader is a security device needed by all customers looking to get the most out of their Online Banking. It works with your Online Banking service to provide an extra layer of protection against online fraud.
    You will be asked to use your card-reader when completing certain tasks in Online Banking, such as:
    • making payments for the first time
    • creating a payee
    • changing your details and more

Show me how to order a card-reader
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 17th Apr 19, 10:25 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    You're not the first to claim that, but it's incorrect. It's all over their website, and in the online banking T&Cs we agree to when registering for online banking. One such example here...
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Ok they tell you in the bit that hardly anyone reads.
    I still think they should make it more obvious like 'click here to order card reader' within the actual application process

Nationwide & Co-op send one out as standard.
    Last edited by Zero Sum; 17-04-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    • junebaby
    • By junebaby 18th Apr 19, 5:52 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    junebaby
    I have just switched a sole account in my name into our joint Nat West account. Is there anything to stop my husband opening a further sole account with Nat West in his name and transferring in a sole account to receive the switching bonus?

Sorry if this has been asked before.
    • Suzie48
    • By Suzie48 18th Apr 19, 7:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Suzie48
    Do i qualify
    I switched accounts in January to the reward account but was wondering if the 1500 has to be deposited all at once or will my wage & benefits which comes to 1600 each month count towards this 1500 .i have not received my 150 bonus yet .thanks
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 18th Apr 19, 8:22 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I have just switched a sole account in my name into our joint Nat West account. Is there anything to stop my husband opening a further sole account with Nat West in his name and transferring in a sole account to receive the switching bonus?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

See message #124 above.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 18th Apr 19, 8:27 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I switched accounts in January to the reward account but was wondering if the 1500 has to be deposited all at once or will my wage & benefits which comes to 1600 each month count towards this 1500 .i have not received my 150 bonus yet .thanks
    Going by the Ts&Cs for the most recent switch offer - deposit 1500 into the account by 12th July 2019 to qualify for the 125 reward.

That'll be in any combination of funds that reaches that total AFAIK.

I suspect the same applies to the earlier deal - best to call Nat West for confirmation.
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 18th Apr 19, 11:39 AM
    • 357 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    northwalesd
    Nationwide & Co-op send one out as standard.
    Originally posted by Zero Sum
    Even though I had to order a card reader from NatWest, it came a heck of a lot quicker than the automatically sent one from Nationwide!
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 19th Apr 19, 9:57 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Can you use either the Nationwide or Co-op card readers to action a Nat West transfer online ?

Long time since I used one, but they all appeared to be the same model of device except for the different bank identity logos.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 19th Apr 19, 11:45 AM
    • 798 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Can you use either the Nationwide or Co-op card readers to action a Nat West transfer online ?

Long time since I used one, but they all appeared to be the same model of device except for the different bank identity logos.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    On other thread some saying you can. I had previously used a nat west (business) for nationwide & it didnt work so just assumed they didnt. I now have 3 readers & they are all different models which goes against what some are saying
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 19th Apr 19, 12:12 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I now have 3 readers & they are all different models which goes against what some are saying
    Going back over several years I've used RBS and Nationwide and Co-op card readers, they were all the same type and (if memory serves) worked across all these banks using the relevant passcode provided per transaction.

I called Nat West and they confirmed that other banks' card readers would work - but you have to have already requested a reader from Nat West before you can do so.
    • snowqueen555
    • By snowqueen555 19th Apr 19, 4:59 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    snowqueen555
    Is there anything inherently wrong with opening dummy accounts? I am considering this, but do these dummy accounts not need regular use, and need direct debits etc? Can't they refuse to switch you if they can see you have little activity in that account?
    • dcs34
    • By dcs34 19th Apr 19, 7:17 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    dcs34
    Depends entirely on the terms and conditions of the switching offer you're trying to do.

So, if it says switch a bank with 2 Direct Debits - then your dummy accounts will need two DDs against it before you switch.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 20th Apr 19, 8:26 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Is there anything inherently wrong with opening dummy accounts? I am considering this, but do these dummy accounts not need regular use, and need direct debits etc? Can't they refuse to switch you if they can see you have little activity in that account?
    As above, you need to study the Ts&Cs.

Most need a minimum monthly pay in - but once credited to the account these funds can be immediately transferred back to your main bank, or to any another account which needs a monthly deposit.
    By careful management of dates throughout the month you can manage this money to feed several current accounts in a cycle.

Most, but not all, also require a minimum of two Direct Debits and these can't be manipulated in the same manner. You can however setup minimal 1 monthly DDs to convenient savings accounts in Post Office Online Saver (can be a right pain to manage), Birmingham Midshires and Santander.

The latter has 3 savings accounts which accept DDs although Santander are reticent about making this admission.

The present Nat West switch deal for their Select account requires no DDs, as does TSB's Classic Plus.

You can of course open a "dummy" account at just about every bank which does not require a monthly credit or DDs - any of their basic current accounts will do this.

However if you use them to switch to a reward type account you still have to meet the criteria for monthly pay in and DDs.
    • dcs34
    • By dcs34 20th Apr 19, 6:06 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    dcs34
    My turn to ask a question!

Was expecting my 150 to come through yesterday (19th) but still haven't received it. I appreciate with the Bank Holiday weekend NatWest's payment schedule might be somewhat out of sync. Looking back through my records though I can't find anything from NatWest that acknowledges I met all the conditions of the switch, so for those that have received their money, did NatWest ever send you an email confirming you'd met the condition for payment?

If I don't get anything by the end of next week I might call up and see if I'd be eligible for the new 175 one instead
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 21st Apr 19, 6:58 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I reckon you'll need to wait until the bank holidays are past to find out, one way or another.
    • snowqueen555
    • By snowqueen555 23rd Apr 19, 7:44 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    snowqueen555
    I've just opened an account with Lloyds, I can just chuck in 1500 into that account, Natwest will move it into their own account (does that class as 1500 paid in?), and as long as I log in online I will be eligible for the cash?
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 23rd Apr 19, 7:46 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    I've just opened an account with Lloyds, I can just chuck in 1500 into that account, Natwest will move it into their own account (does that class as 1500 paid in?), and as long as I log in online I will be eligible for the cash?
    Originally posted by snowqueen555
    Just leave lloyds empty, then deposit 1500 directly to nat west
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin