Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SlovakianGuy
    • By SlovakianGuy 7th Jan 19, 10:58 AM
    • 86Posts
    • 26Thanks
    SlovakianGuy
    150 switch incentive from NatWest (2019)
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:58 AM
    150 switch incentive from NatWest (2019) 7th Jan 19 at 10:58 AM
    Just in case someone is interested (and eligible).
    Apply for an eligible account between the 7th of Jan and 15th of Feb 2019.

About 2 months ago someone said it was unlikely they will offer more than 125, so I switched in November. Damn...
Page 2
    • BigTezza
    • By BigTezza 9th Jan 19, 4:57 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    BigTezza
    I feel a bit 'taken in' by the apparent offer of 150 to existing customers - I've been with NW since I were a lad. I feel that it's a little ambiguous on their website which states the following.

This offer is available to new and existing customers. To qualify for the 150 offer you must:

Complete your switch to us using the Current Account Switching Service by the 22nd of March.
    Deposit 1,500 into your NatWest account and log in to online or Mobile banking by the 22nd of March.

I just called them and was told that they could convert my existing account to a Reward account in minutes (they've been banging on at me for ages to do this) but I wouldn't be eligible for the 150 because I wouldn't be going through the switching process. I would need to close an account with another bank in order to get that. I asked about creating a new account for me with NW and 'switching' to that but that won't cut it either.

I feel that the wording of their offer is a little misleading and needs to be changed. Fifteen minutes of my life waiting in a phone queue that I'll never get back
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Jan 19, 5:14 PM
    • 9,078 Posts
    • 10,505 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I feel a bit 'taken in' by the apparent offer of 150 to existing customers - I've been with NW since I were a lad. I feel that it's a little ambiguous on their website which states the following.

This offer is available to new and existing customers. To qualify for the 150 offer you must:

Complete your switch to us using the Current Account Switching Service by the 22nd of March.
    Deposit 1,500 into your NatWest account and log in to online or Mobile banking by the 22nd of March.

I just called them and was told that they could convert my existing account to a Reward account in minutes (they've been banging on at me for ages to do this) but I wouldn't be eligible for the 150 because I wouldn't be going through the switching process. I would need to close an account with another bank in order to get that. I asked about creating a new account for me with NW and 'switching' to that but that won't cut it either.

I feel that the wording of their offer is a little misleading and needs to be changed. Fifteen minutes of my life waiting in a phone queue that I'll never get back
    Originally posted by BigTezza
    It's a switching offer, intended to reward those moving some business to NatWest from elsewhere, so it's not a surprise that merely redesignating your existing account (or opening another with NatWest themselves) doesn't qualify. If you were prepared to open another account with NatWest, why not simply do so with another bank and switch that to NatWest for a nice easy 150?

While the precis of the offer on their website is inevitably abbreviated, the full wording (still only a page of A4) explains the requirements for existing customers and was linked at post #4 above, so you could have avoided your phone queue if you'd wanted to!
    • SSW83
    • By SSW83 11th Jan 19, 10:48 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SSW83
    I'm also interested in this switching incentive, and have a now unneeded FD account which I can use to switch - The FD has no active DD or SO to switch over, but I cannot see any mention of such a requirement in the T&Cs for the switcher offer.

My question is about the 1500 deposit. The T&Cs are rather vague. Does anybody have an inkling as to whether this needs to be a single deposit, or can it be several smaller deposits? If the money can be removed from the account (it is a current account, after all) does that mean I could deposit and remove the same 500 lump three times and qualify for the incentive?
    • moneysavinggirl40
    • By moneysavinggirl40 11th Jan 19, 12:05 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    moneysavinggirl40
    Not had a switching bonus in such a long time. Looks like I could be eligible seeing that my switch out of Nat west was in 2016 I have not had an RBS account ever. I can deposit 1500 in chunks of smaller amounts, b4 22.3.19, I'm hoping this will be sufficient.

In fact i was getting switching withdrawal symptoms as i haven't had a bonus for an age. I am hoping other banks catch on, and invite customers to switch to them even though they have switched b4 and got a bonus way, way in the past.
    Last edited by moneysavinggirl40; Today at 11:14 AM.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 11th Jan 19, 12:15 PM
    • 6,116 Posts
    • 8,605 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Anyone else getting the 'error' message when trying to sign up to the digi documents page they link you to when signing up for the account?
    Don't be angry!
    • leew
    • By leew 11th Jan 19, 9:52 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    leew
    I am a current account holder and my wages get payed into this account so would that exclude me?

FAQ

If you have an eligible NatWest current account already and it's not your main bank account, then you can still qualify for the 150 offer. Simply complete the switching form at the bottom of this page and we'll do the rest. Please ensure you meet all of the eligibility criteria so we can credit your account with the 150.

Anyone know??
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 11th Jan 19, 9:59 PM
    • 30,415 Posts
    • 18,316 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    I am a current account holder and my wages get payed into this account so would that exclude me?

FAQ

If you have an eligible NatWest current account already and it's not your main bank account, then you can still qualify for the 150 offer. Simply complete the switching form at the bottom of this page and we'll do the rest. Please ensure you meet all of the eligibility criteria so we can credit your account with the 150.

Anyone know??
    Originally posted by leew
    I have 31 main current accounts. I'll continue to have 31 main current accounts until banks start defining that a current account can only be a main current account if your salary is paid into it.

In short, you're not excluded, so long as you're not ineligible according to the offer T&Cs
    Last edited by YorkshireBoy; 11-01-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    • leew
    • By leew 11th Jan 19, 10:08 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    leew
    I have 31 main current accounts. I'll continue to have 31 main current accounts until banks start defining that a current account can only be a main current account if your salary is paid into it.

In short, you're not excluded, so long as you're not ineligible according to the offer T&D's.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Good way of looking at it! I'll have to have a proper look at the t&c's, I also pay all my DD's from this account so maybe they will say it's my main account.

Nothing to lose trying although I didn't get a confirmation email/anything when I filled out the application form - just a close this page at the end
    • norm_
    • By norm_ 13th Jan 19, 3:33 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    norm_
    Anybody else having issues activating their account?

I've passed the online ID verification, or so I thought, a couple days back and heard nothing since. The mobile app doesn't allow access and I've heard nothing regarding the switch of my other account.

Not exactly awe inspiring service from a bank that are trying to win over new customers.

I think there's the reason why I will keep First Direct as my main account and only used a donor account for this offer.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Jan 19, 7:39 AM
    • 5,405 Posts
    • 3,482 Thanks
    csgohan4

In short, you're not excluded, so long as you're not ineligible according to the offer T&Cs
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy

That's a lot of usernames and passwords to remember
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • leew
    • By leew 13th Jan 19, 12:56 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    leew
    Anybody else having issues activating their account?

I've passed the online ID verification, or so I thought, a couple days back and heard nothing since. The mobile app doesn't allow access and I've heard nothing regarding the switch of my other account.

Not exactly awe inspiring service from a bank that are trying to win over new customers.

I think there's the reason why I will keep First Direct as my main account and only used a donor account for this offer.
    Originally posted by norm_
    Yeah it's a bit shabby to say the least!

I didn't get a confirmation email/anything when I filled out the application form - just a close this page at the end which I was left like

What is the I.D verification about? I don't remember seeing that but maybe that's because I already bank with them perhaps.
    • Speedster2
    • By Speedster2 13th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Speedster2
    I’ve never been a NatWest customer before. Here’s a chance to try out their service with a decent incentive offered.
    Account opening and ID verification didn’t seem much of an issue. The only problem that I encountered during the processs was giving my job title. I ended up having to use the title for a junior “sister” service!
    I already have the App set up on my phone ready for my new account to show up in a couple of days. Is fingerprint ID supported? The next thing I need to do is set up direct debits to get the rewards from my regular bills.
    Save 12k in 2014 #163: 14319
    Save 12k in 2015 #31: 12335/10000
    Save 12k in 2016 #61 : --/12000
    • theiceking
    • By theiceking 14th Jan 19, 12:27 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    theiceking
    Was all set to sign up, but saw the 6/month overdraft fee which seems excessive. Can you get alerts if your balance goes negative to avoid this fee?
    • badger09
    • By badger09 14th Jan 19, 11:44 AM
    • 6,488 Posts
    • 5,928 Thanks
    badger09
    Was all set to sign up, but saw the 6/month overdraft fee which seems excessive. Can you get alerts if your balance goes negative to avoid this fee?
    Originally posted by theiceking
    There's a very simple way to avoid this 6 fee.

Open the account
    Switch in an unused current account, with a very small balance, ensuring it meets any T&Cs of the offer (such as DDs SOs etc - I haven't checked)
    Pay in 1500 within the time limit specified. It doesn't have to stay there
    Collect the switch bonus

Rinse and repeat
    • dave76
    • By dave76 14th Jan 19, 2:47 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    dave76
    account setup progressing well, received my debit card and PIN just waitinf for the DDs to transfer. Must say I thought they had sent me a fake debit card - the name and numbers are not embossed so looks like I have made it myself
    • leew
    • By leew 14th Jan 19, 6:10 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    leew
    account setup progressing well, received my debit card and PIN just waitinf for the DDs to transfer. Must say I thought they had sent me a fake debit card - the name and numbers are not embossed so looks like I have made it myself
    Originally posted by dave76
    Hi dave76

Can you tell me the process you have gone through please? I filled in the online application - 3 pages I think it was, got to the end where it says close page and heard nothing since - applied on the 12th.
    • dave76
    • By dave76 15th Jan 19, 10:13 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    dave76
    I applied on 10th Jan, don't remember the full process but it was all through the online form. I had to give the account I was switching from - sort code, acct number and card number. When it was complete I was given my new account details straight away.

I received an email with those same account details in very soon afterwards with links to online banking and the natwest app. I could immediately sign up to both although it took a day for account to appear in those.

Received another email the same day to say they had started to move my account over.
    • leew
    • By leew 15th Jan 19, 2:20 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    leew
    I applied on 10th Jan, don't remember the full process but it was all through the online form. I had to give the account I was switching from - sort code, acct number and card number. When it was complete I was given my new account details straight away.

I received an email with those same account details in very soon afterwards with links to online banking and the natwest app. I could immediately sign up to both although it took a day for account to appear in those.

Received another email the same day to say they had started to move my account over.
    Hmm, somethings not right then because I did all that! strange as I never got anything at all after

I am just wondering If being an existing customer has thrown a spanner in the works.

I may try again using a different browser to see If that helps.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 15th Jan 19, 9:10 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    Apologies in advance for the stupid question, but does it matter in what order the qualification requirements for the switching incentive are carried out? I.e. is it necessary to wait for the CASS to complete before squirting the 1500 into the account?
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 15th Jan 19, 10:11 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    I had to give the account I was switching from - sort code, acct number and card number.
    I didn't get asked for any of that at any stage of the application process.
    The T&Cs say that you have to request a transfer as part of the application process, but I was never offered an option to.

Edit: Just went to repeat the process to see where I went wrong, and I've got a totally different form that looks completely different!

Edit2: Phoned up and cancelled that application, explaining that I wasn't offered the option to enter account details for the switch, and was advised to cancel the application and re-apply using the totally different form I saw the second time. That seems to have worked, but no doubt wasted a credit search :-(
    Last edited by Fingerbobs; 16-01-2019 at 1:49 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,707Posts Today

8,312Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin