Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 7th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 273Posts
    • 300Thanks
    oozle1989
    New front door - how much!!
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    New front door - how much!! 7th Jan 19 at 9:26 AM
    We have been quoted £3,213.40 for a new front door and side panel window from Anglian. I was quite shocked at how expensive it was and wasn’t expecting it to be that much. This was for their basic PVC range and after applying all their various discounts for recycling, marketing etc!

Can anyone give me some costs to compare too as this is our first house and i've never bought a new door before. I might be being naive but I had a figure in my head of around £1000!

The specs are

Door: 890mm x 2050mm
    Casement Window; 1230mm x 2050mm
Page 2
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 14th May 19, 1:08 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    oozle1989
    Just an update - I got a quote from a local guy who does doors and windows and it was almost a third cheaper than what Anglian quoted! Just under £1300 for composite door and window.

Its being done as I type
    • sandyk01
    • By sandyk01 17th May 19, 10:31 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    sandyk01
    I just got mine done 2 weeks ago.

Modern looking composite black door with panels and a diamond window with a letter box/number/yale lock for £480. I got a local double glazing guy to fit it for £150. Success!

Prior to the above I had a quote from a well known national company for £1800. And two local companies at £1400 and £900.

I have the details of the company I got my door from so let me know if you need them
    • tgon
    • By tgon 17th May 19, 11:39 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    tgon
    Just an update - I got a quote from a local guy who does doors and windows and it was almost a third cheaper than what Anglian quoted! Just under £1300 for composite door and window.

Its being done as I type
    Originally posted by oozle1989
    Good outcome. Always buy local and recommended where doors and windows are concerned.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 19th May 19, 3:39 PM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 2,100 Thanks
    no1catman
    I've recently had a second front door fitted - cost £2,070.
    But before you start thinking - that's expensive - did have another quote from another local company for £2,000:
    - purpose built into an archway, so curved frame at the top,
    - French style doors - both open outwards,
    - laminated noise reduction glass - has worked with both doors, hardly hear any traffic noise, indeed struggle to hear the post!
    - specified leadwork design to match existing windows.
    - plus of course, letterbox and door knocker.

And yes, there is enough space to stand between the two closed doors. Gives us better piece of mind security wise - couple of months ago had a couple of guys come and try the door handle - didn't knock - just tried the handle!!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,937Posts Today

5,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin