Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 7th Jan 19, 2:29 AM
    • 4,460Posts
    • 28,994Thanks
    allydowd
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 7th January 2019?
    • 7th Jan 19, 2:29 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 7th January 2019? 7th Jan 19 at 2:29 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 500

Travel 500 Miles Free Challenge: 14.91/500
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
Page 7
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Jan 19, 6:17 PM
    • 4,460 Posts
    • 28,994 Thanks
    allydowd
    CCL - Scones are completely bomb proof. There are two tricks to them (apart from obviously being able to follow a recipe & turn on an oven). One is to use both self-raising flour AND a bit of raising agent for a decent rise.
    Originally posted by foxgloves

We have a tiny kitchen. We buy only plain flour and add raising agent as required.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 500

Travel 500 Miles Free Challenge: 14.91/500
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Jan 19, 7:56 PM
    • 7,134 Posts
    • 42,183 Thanks
    determined new ms
    have done 4 annoying jobs - and once again amazed at our laziness! - I fixed a lovely hair clip and an ornament of madam's. Both sitting around on sides broken. Took 5 mins. I decided to sort out why our lounge lamp wasn't working. Spent 15 mins clearing out the junk drawer in the kitchen to find a 3 amp fuse. Lamp now working. It has been out of action for more than a year
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Jan 19, 8:27 PM
    • 4,425 Posts
    • 38,244 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    For Millennials....
    Originally posted by allydowd
    I am very much old school a Xennial (if they exist as it's open to debate) but I belong to the back end of Generation X. And although I have to teach in the modern day masses, I use lb and oz, and my cooker is gas. Because it barely gets used and the small amount of baking I do comes from my mam and gran I braved a batch of cheese scones as they are my favourites, and I had some very old cheese in the fridge needing to be used. I opened a bag of flour that's been in the cupboard for months - and now need to find something else to make with the rest of it. Thank you for the tips everyone - they didn't look great but tasted nice, and I have a batch of scones to go with my soup in the freezer. Any tips for using SR flour gratefully received for a novice cook.
    Less keen on sweet scones but I have a bag of dried fruit needing to be used up so might have to look into that at a later date.
    Haven't done much else today at all - a few hours of tutoring for some much needed cash, and a bit of crochet in between the baking. I'm going to be winging it tomorrow a bit because I'm sort of only half planned for work. I will definitely be having an early night tonight though that's for sure.
    NST Join in January #1 nsd = 8 1 debt vs 100 days #5 50/553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: 114.40/5750
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 13th Jan 19, 10:17 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 3,799 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    I managed a nsd Friday and Saturday so that’s 4 this week! Well happy with that. Day off tomorrow n so tempted to make some scones. Love a scone with jam. Got my list of jobs ready to do so hopefully keep it productive.
    NST2018 mortgage-free wannabe #145
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 13th Jan 19, 10:46 PM
    • 2,364 Posts
    • 11,828 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Update
    Todays list:
    NSD Done
    PAD Done
    Meal plan Done
    Write shopping list Done
    Soak porridge
    Pack water and snacks for this mornings activity Done
    Pack hot drink for myself to enjoy whilst waiting for the children this morning Done
    B/L/D from stores Done
    Wash hair and let it dry naturally Done Home educate children for free Done

This evenings activity, included free drinks and snacks for everyone
    We made a list of jobs OH needs to tackle whilst I take children to tomorrows training, he worked from home whilst I was out today, so he could do these tomorrow when the places are open.

DawnW your scone recipe matches mine when my children were very young I had them use imperial as they were able to recognise 1, 2, 3 (our scales are digital), as they became more confident reading numbers we used metric, the next step was converting from one to the other, another way I increased the learning opportunities when cooking was by getting them to scale a recipe up or down, tastiest ways to do maths, as well as a bit of history talking about the different measures.
    • Dickenslass
    • By Dickenslass 13th Jan 19, 10:55 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Dickenslass
    I kind of wish you were my mum BB when you talk about the ways you educate your kids! (Though of course I love my real mum...if she’s reading!)
    • Dickenslass
    • By Dickenslass 13th Jan 19, 11:09 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Dickenslass
    Hungry for scones here...but will be working away from home for a few days now, so my money saving ways next week will mainly be about saying no!
    Travelling light but can fit a cup, bottle, and spork in, plus lunch for day 1!
    Little things today:
    Sorted cupboards throughout kitchen - set out to do one, and it sort of involves jogging things in another...etc etc. A day later am really happy with new organisation; with a box of things to use up ASAP (dated...er....in the last couple of years!). Seeking menu (veggie) ideas for things to cook with red wine (have combined multiple bottles so it’s a right mix), polenta (but only 1/4 pack), lentils, white rice (I prefer brown but we have a lot of white!), cocoa with marshmallows in (mix from DDs days of loving hot choc which are now passed - and I know, not veggie!), ale - don’t like drinking it (would it work with the lentils?)....

Made up mince pies with the pastry made yesterday, with orange zest added into pastry. Couldn’t really taste it to be honest (might be the cold!). Anyway, they were nice and have stashed a dozen in freezer for next week.
    HWB instead of heating today
    Needed less pills during the day! Yay! Feel awful now
    Use it up ginger and lemon drinks all day! Ginger well ropey...so old it floated like cork!
    Half price veggie sausages and quorn chunks tempted me in iceylsnd today especially now I know I can make fajita spices!! Thank you all!
    Glad to find a couple of random non food things in the cupboard that will avoid us needing to buy new ones of them! Shopping from home, I think you called it!
    Nighty night all! Keep going, any shift workers. Not long until daybreak now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,454Posts Today

9,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Perhaps the only thing we truly learn from this poll is we are generally optimistic. Most Brexiteers think Brexit w? https://t.co/DoosVRvneE

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ??Join the UK's biggest consumer website ??Make a difference ??Work with brilliant journalists ??Collaborate with top b?

• Today's Twitter poll: Do you believe the UK will leave the European Union in 2019? PS. Twitter/my following tends? https://t.co/U3DknxaJOG

• Follow Martin