Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 7th Jan 19, 2:29 AM
    • 4,466Posts
    • 29,073Thanks
    allydowd
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 7th January 2019?
    • 7th Jan 19, 2:29 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 7th January 2019? 7th Jan 19 at 2:29 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 500

Travel 500 Miles Free Challenge: 31.12/500
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
Page 6
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Jan 19, 8:05 AM
    • 2,518 Posts
    • 17,122 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

Cat sounds like you had a lovely day
    Foxgloves great news on car, hope you won't have to wait too long for it
    Dickenslass well done on that Frog
    Determined happy new sofa. Sometimes we have to do these things
    CLF happy new car. We did the same about 2 years ago, but didn't quite get new, but got newer than we originally set out to. It's been worth every single penny.

Yesterday was lovely but not quite as productive as I would have liked, so you may notice some repeats:

Smalls to prepaid activity, will walk
    Make cake/biscuits
    Some washing
    Go for a run - did do this yesterday, but would like another one if I can
    Tidy up outside, possibly prune some bushes back
    Vacuum through
    Get ready for tomorrow, including packed lunches, may rustle up a quiche
    Used yesterday's tea for tonight's tea for smalls as I forgot they would get fed at a party.
    Get something out for tonight's tea
    Use up a small portion of chick pea curry, half a tin of beans and some fajita mix on our jacket spuds today (not all mixed together, one each )
    Triage fridge

Have a good day everyone. Purps.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Jan 19, 8:11 AM
    • 4,434 Posts
    • 38,322 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Thank you for all your kind words and well wishes.
    In an amazing twist of fate, I don't feel as bad as I deserve to this morning. Went to bed early with 2 paracetamol and a couple of pints of water and I've slept reasonably well.
    Normal service shall resume today though, tutoring later, little bit of housework, some school preparation and if I'm feeling brave I will have a go at making scones (yes, I am that bad at cooking).
    NST Join in January #1 nsd = 11 1 debt vs 100 days #5 50/553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: 114.40/5750
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 13th Jan 19, 8:46 AM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 11,884 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Today we are busy with various activities, mainly for the children.

Todays list:
    NSD
    PAD
    Meal plan
    Write shopping list
    Soak porridge
    Pack water and snacks for this mornings activity
    Pack hot drink for myself to enjoy whilst waiting for the children this morning
    B/L/D from stores
    Wash hair and let it dry naturally
    Home educate children for free

This afternoon dd will take herself to her afternoon activity, I will walk and meet her and then my Sister is collecting us to take to our evening activity.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Jan 19, 9:13 AM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 15,129 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks!

Dickenslass - that was one hell of a frog! Well done!
    ccl - glad your head isn't too muzzy

Well normal sleep was resumed last night thank goodness. OH and I declared it a pj day yesterday (apart from quick jaunt to Wilko for microwave). We binge-watched all 4 Indiana Jones films and watched the elec company dig a big hole next to our house. The neighbours knocked and were having issues with their supply but ours luckily unaffected.

Back in work today. Not entirely sure that something in my body is 100% but nothing too bad.

Thank you for all your kind words about the car. I really appreciated it as I felt a bit like I'd let everyone down spending that much money very silly I know!

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores - done
    • Wash on 30 deg - done
    • Get OH to peg washing outside - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Little walk at lunchtime - nope. Blowing a gale here. but I did walk to work
    • Heating hopefully off - was on for far too long yesterday. OH seems to have a tendency to chilliness when sitting still at the moment - on v low for a couple of hours
    • No alcohol - done
    • Have another go at checking into flights. was not happy with allocated seats yesterday and don't want to pay! - same seats. decided to go with it. We are together but across the aisle.
    • Print off boarding passes at work - done
    • Crochet - done
    • Check when phone contract up - done
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 14-01-2019 at 8:02 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 7000
    Car final lump sum: 0/6113
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Jan 19, 9:34 AM
    • 7,136 Posts
    • 42,218 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning guys Seems like there's been a flurry of activity since I was last on Happy Sunday to you all

Today we are going out for lunch to meet ds' new gf We're going to a carvery that is fairly reasonably prices and food is good

Today I definitely want to finish this shirt - it's driving me crazy! I'm not even sure if after all that trouble I like it/have anything to wear it with/will wear it! Well it's all part of the learning process!

* get madam's things ready for school & do hw
    * have checked school menu for the week and worked out what days madam will have packed lunch
    * take dog for 2 x walks
    * started watching a breadmaker on fleabay that is fairly close to here. Hoping as it's pick up only it'll go for a low price
    * actually cast on socks today....
    * darn a hole in a jumper & a sock
    * spend 1/2 hour in the garden as it's looking a little sorry for itself!
    * heating off at the moment
    * tea will probably be soup & baguettes

That is all I can think of right now! Off to have my last cup of coffee before getting on with the day.
    Last edited by determined new ms; 13-01-2019 at 9:37 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Jan 19, 10:09 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 9,514 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

We're having a pj day here as we are all a bit tired after the first full week back to normality.
    I was going to be going to aldee this morning but going to make do with what we have instead. Ds2 isn't happy that we've run out of semi skimmed milk but he also doesn't want to get dressed to come with me to buy some so he can make do with the skimmed milk I do have!
    Todays list
    * run the washing machine on the quick 30 degree wash - (using the dregs of the box of washpowder! ) and a bit of stain remover in there)
    * radiator shuffle washing ready for ^^
    * prep tuna/pasta/mayo for the kids to have for lunches tomorrow as I don't have fresh bread for sandwiches done and lunch boxes ready for tomorrow
    * fridge/freezer dive for all meals today was able to cobble together a roast dinner! I was expecting to do that today but it was lovely!
    * continue watching Harry Potter films with the ds's from our stash as they've asked to go to see the studio tour again this Summer.
    * make sure kids are on top of their homework ready for tomorrow ds2 sorted, ds1 done parts of, having a 1/2hr break then going back to it. He goes weeks and weeks without having any homework then 3 lots in the one week has made him a very grumpy teenager!
    ** ds1s new school tshirts have come so I've ironed on the name labels and whilst the iron was hot I've ironed the 3 shirts that needed doing as well, saves me a job tomorrow!

* share bath water

Thats my start, will see what else we get done.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 13-01-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Jan 19, 10:11 AM
    • 5,437 Posts
    • 43,133 Thanks
    DawnW
    CCL - scones:
    (Copied and pasted from an earlier small things thread)
    sorry, measurements in old money as this is an old recipe, and for some reason I always do scones that way (though not most other things )

1lb self raising flour
    1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
    3 oz margarine or butter (margarine is fine, save the butter for spreading on them once cooked )
    2 tablespoons sugar
    Handful of dried fruit
    Half a pint of milk, if it is on the turn, so much the better

Preheat oven to Gas 7 or equivalent, grease a baking tray
    Sieve flour and baking powder, rub in the margarine (or let your processor or mixer do it for you)
    Stir in the sugar and dried fruit
    Add enough milk to make a soft but not too sticky dough
    Flatten (not too much, leave about 2cm thick) on a floured surface, and cut out rounds, repeat till all the dough is used
    Place on baking tray spaced apart a bit, brush with more dubious milk, and bake for 10-15 mins, check after 10 mins. They should look risen and brown, but don't overcook them.

Enjoy with butter and jam

If you like you can omit the sugar and fruit and add a handful of grated cheese instead, you will then have cheese scones. Obvs you won't have jam with these

You can of course halve the quantities if you like, but they freeze really well, so I always make this amount.

They always work, are quick to make, and you can get the kids to make them, they are that easy

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th Jan 19, 10:20 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 5,906 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    CCL glad to hear u are not suffering too much this morning. Happy divorce day for yesterday.......sometimes those celebrations just have to be done
    CLF glad that u sorted out by the car I would be exactly the same. Would have to think about the arguments from all angles, feel guilty about the money, even though deep down u know it's the best option.

I currently haven't got a living room, will need to buy a settee-only a small one. Again like the above myself and DD looked at all angles, different discussions, money, logistics as I had been given a very nice one from SIL after their dog ripped the inside of one of the seating cushions so she wanted rid. Trouble was it was massive for the living room, not ideal trying to get around it with a wheelchair, parts of it =cat heaven and the cushions would continually be moving and I couldn't sort them out without the risk of falling. In the end what we did is we stripped it of the big cushions to send to the local animal shelter for beds and the frame went to a place for skills work for people with learning disabilities. It will be the last expense for the living room, but don't mind waiting longer for it.

Banking and monies all checked
    1LL think we have post Christmas blues here aswell. DD didn't want to go back to uni, bec she was ill over Christmas she feels like she missed most of it and it is her favourite time of year.
    Had a homecooked meal made from leftovers with DD just before she left.I have plenty to keep me going, freezer and cupboards are stuffed full.
    Met a friend for coffee yesterday. It's very rare I will go to one of the coffee chains, about once a year, took my own cup and got 25p off.
    That's about it from me. Planning on a quiet day and a tidy up as DD has left a few things scattered everywhere.
    Have a good day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    • 4,466 Posts
    • 29,073 Thanks
    allydowd
    CCL - scones:
    (Copied and pasted from an earlier small things thread)
    sorry, measurements in old money as this is an old recipe, and for some reason I always do scones that way (though not most other things )

1lb self raising flour
    1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
    3 oz margarine or butter (margarine is fine, save the butter for spreading on them once cooked )
    2 tablespoons sugar
    Handful of dried fruit
    Half a pint of milk, if it is on the turn, so much the better

Preheat oven to Gas 7 or equivalent, grease a baking tray
    Sieve flour and baking powder, rub in the margarine (or let your processor or mixer do it for you)
    Flatten (not too much, leave about 2cm thick) on a floured surface, and cut out rounds, repeat till all the dough is used
    Place on baking tray spaced apart a bit, brush with more dubious milk, and bake for 10-15 mins, check after 10 mins. They should look risen and brown, but don't overcook them.

Enjoy with butter and jam

If you like you can omit the sugar and fruit and add a handful of grated cheese instead, you will then have cheese scones. Obvs you won't have jam with these

You can of course halve the quantities if you like, but they freeze really well, so I always make this amount.

They always work, are quick to make, and you can get the kids to make them, they are that easy

Originally posted by DawnW

For Millennials....

454g self raising flour
    21g baking powder
    85g margarine or butter
    28g sugar
    1 metric dainty handful of dried fruit
    237ml milk

Preheat oven to 220c grease a baking tray
    Place on baking tray spaced apart a bit, brush with more dubious milk, and bake for 600-900 seconds, check after 600 seconds. They should look risen and tanned, but don't overcook them.

Last edited by allydowd; 13-01-2019 at 12:11 PM.

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Jan 19, 12:19 PM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 15,129 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    For Millennials....

1 metric dainty handful of dried fruit
    Originally posted by allydowd

About half of a smashed avocado's worth

Although all joking aside, I just count as a millennial and I still cook in lbs and oz. Mostly because they go 1, 2, 3, 4

• DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Jan 19, 12:26 PM
    • 5,437 Posts
    • 43,133 Thanks
    DawnW
    Lol, I cook in both, (used to teach my kids to convert between them if they were bothered), but this is my old granny's recipe, and it was definitely pounds and ounces - and handfuls - in her day

Went to bed at 8pm last night, and didn't get up till 8am, and although I certainly didn't sleep for all this time, it did help as I feel a bit better this morning. Needless to say OH doesn't and he is far worse than I am
    No big plans for today, but as it is mild I might do something outside

So far:
    Cooked breakfast as there were mushrooms and old bread needing using up
    OH dug up the rest of the leeks from the garden, as they were starting to look the worse for wear. I washed them, sliced/ shredded in the Magimix and froze. I will use them up in the next week or so, so didn't bother to blanch.

Further plans:
    Rest of old bread toasted with lunch
    Move some things around in the garden - might get grumpy (OH) to help
    Curry for dinner - made it yesterday with meat cut off of a bag of lamb bones that were taking up a massive space in the freezer. As I can't smell or taste, the spicing might be a bit hit and miss, but under the circumstances perhaps it doesn't matter Usually ask my brother over for Sunday dinner, but have put him off today, as I don't want to pass on the lurgy unnecessarily
    Chase an ebay buyer for payment
    Another early night I think!
    Last edited by DawnW; 13-01-2019 at 12:43 PM.

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Jan 19, 2:38 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 9,514 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Just made a batch of cheese scones, melting moments and overnight oats. Considering everyone was telling me we were desperate for a food shop, we're all eating very nicely today!

Dawn, good to hear you slept better last night.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Jan 19, 3:07 PM
    • 4,466 Posts
    • 29,073 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi January Joy-Seekers,

Afternoon! Lovely day off and it's bucketing down

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

* Check online banking. Done.

* Continue my new Challenge 500 miles challenge. I am going to travel 500 miles for free before the end of 2019: walking, hiking, climbing, cycling, running and swimming. (There is a charge to use the local pool but I will offset the cost in other ways so there is 'no charge'.) Will jog later. Managed 3.06km in a 40mph wind.

* Make butternut soup from cheap jumbo squash. Done. Added limp lettuce from fridge. Metal stick blender broke. Grr. DW can't find the receipt so I'll try and get a refund/exchange with a bank statement tomorrow. Not sure where receipt has gone we are usually meticulous about filing receipts away. Only bought the thing in Nov. Froze soup into four portions.

* Lunch is a cut-priced beef joint. Serving with roast 'potatoes' made from jumbo butternut squash.

* Couldn't sleep last night. Bed uncomfortable. DW was all for hiring a van, driving the mattress (our landlady's) to our storage locker and bring back our mattress from storage. Flipped mattress. Problem solved.

* Triage wee freezer. Done. Added rocket and chive to soup.

“Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.”
    Last edited by allydowd; 13-01-2019 at 5:51 PM.

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Jan 19, 3:27 PM
    • 4,571 Posts
    • 24,795 Thanks
    foxgloves
    CLF - No need to feel guilty about car purchase. We are all about not wasting money on here. We all know we do sometimes have to spend some!
    CCL - Scones are completely bomb proof. There are two tricks to them (apart from obviously being able to follow a recipe & turn on an oven). One is to use both self-raising flour AND a bit of raising agent for a decent rise. The other is not to roll the dough too thin. In fact, I no longer roll out scone dough. I press it down to the required thickness with my hands & save having to wash the rolling pin.
    And now for today's frugal efforts:
    *Worm compost harvested & divided between the grape vine & the bean patch. Composter set up again for the coming year.
    *Watered my autumn sown sweet peas.
    *Coloured my shabby roots (free box of dye).
    *Two baths from one lot of hot water.
    *Rounded up all yesterday's free beauty product samples to use over the coming week (acquired on city centre trip).
    *Knit - should finish sleeve & be casting on the other one tonight.
    *Jacket potato night - I fancy fish, mushrooms & tomatoes with mine. Mr f has ferretted umpteen little containers of leftovers out of the freezer & is planning to make the first truly epic Man Stew of 2019........
    *Read 2 free Waitrose magazines.
    *Entered a competition.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Put washer on timer for laundry load on Economy 7 tariff.
    *Update my DFW diary.
    *Explain to cat for the 678946765349th time that he doesn't get 2 dinners.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 25
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Jan 19, 3:41 PM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 15,129 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    *Explain to cat for the 678946765349th time that he doesn't get 2 dinners.
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves

My mum is currently obsessed that their cat isn't eating enough. She described it as skin and bones.
    (upon inspection I saw a perfectly normal cat. She is pretty daintily sized but just not fat. Coat seems glossy and wants to play all the time so can't be much wrong)
    In order to try and "tempt it to eat" there were 8! bowls of food for it! Four different types of biscuit, 2 wet food, 1 bowl of cooked meat and one of raw mince. Plus it was being handed tidbits.
    Considering it nearly took one of my fingers off to obtain a piece of best ham, I can't say that I was concerned for its welfare

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Jan 19, 4:20 PM
    • 4,571 Posts
    • 24,795 Thanks
    foxgloves
    CLF - Sounds like my parents' cat. If she turned her nose up at a newly opened plate of meat, another can would be opened.....& another! And 2 different flavours of biscuits at any one time in case the little madam was in the mood for fish ones rather than meat ones or vice versa. And every night, a frozen Waitrose fish fillet would be poached & flaked for her. Needless to say, it's a very different regime here!
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 25
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Jan 19, 4:28 PM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 15,129 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    CLF - Sounds like my parents' cat. If she turned her nose up at a newly opened plate of meat, another can would be opened.....& another! And 2 different flavours of biscuits at any one time in case the little madam was in the mood for fish ones rather than meat ones or vice versa. And every night, a frozen Waitrose fish fillet would be poached & flaked for her. Needless to say, it's a very different regime here!

Def a spoiled puss! Mum sent me pics of its new cat-bed the other day haha

• DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Jan 19, 4:39 PM
    • 5,437 Posts
    • 43,133 Thanks
    DawnW
    CCL - Scones are completely bomb proof. There are two tricks to them (apart from obviously being able to follow a recipe & turn on an oven). One is to use both self-raising flour AND a bit of raising agent for a decent rise. The other is not to roll the dough too thin. In fact, I no longer roll out scone dough. I press it down to the required thickness with my hands & save having to wash the rolling pin.

Same here, I just flatten the dough a bit with my hands, for exactly the same reason

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Jan 19, 5:20 PM
    • 2,518 Posts
    • 17,122 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Productive day all round. Haven't managed the run but will do a kettlebell workout shortly. I have though, in addition to my list:

Made scones and biscuits and a jam roll poly for pud (flattening of scones very much the order of the day here too) also don't over work the dough to keep them light
    Cancelled one policy that I could do over the phone as they were helpfully open today, other will have to go on tomorrow's list
    Went through all my recent online payments at bank and deleted details of all one offs so I don't pay anyone I shouldn't by accident
    Cut down 3 fushia bushes
    Moved big fridge freezer to a temporary home. Gave it a good clean for it travels
    Deep clean of dining room
    3 coats found their way to a charity bag
    Listed 6 things on the bay

Still to do this evening:
    Work out of I can wire something to a plug that's one of those that's switched on remotely at the wall. Have measured item to see if it fits. This would be amazing if I can.
    Enjoy a soak in the tub and do home manicure. Use some potions. See if I have some wax strips to do my eye brows
    Research coffee, it seems they have stopped making our favourite brand or at least rebranded it for now good reason other than to probably put the price up. Hmm.

Enjoy your evening folks. Purps.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Jan 19, 5:35 PM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 15,129 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Research coffee, it seems they have stopped making our favourite brand or at least rebranded it for now good reason other than to probably put the price up. .
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26

Not sure what your coffee requirement is but we buy the Asda no 4 Italian style (green packet, 1.34) which is ground for cafetiere etc. People always comment how nice it is and are surprised when they find out it's cheap!
    Tesco do a similar one if you don't have an Asda

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,043Posts Today

7,710Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin