Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 7th Jan 19, 2:29 AM
    • 4,463Posts
    • 29,038Thanks
    allydowd
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 7th January 2019?
    • 7th Jan 19, 2:29 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 7th January 2019? 7th Jan 19 at 2:29 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £500

Travel 500 Miles Free Challenge: 22.89/500
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
Page 5
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Jan 19, 6:10 PM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 38,268 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening all
    I have survived the first week back at school, but suspect I'll be asleep in the next hour or so as I'm so exhausted.
    Pleased to report that I've bagged another nsd today, and another day of avoiding eating out and takeaway. Easy to do when you're on the go from 7.30 until 4 with barely time to breathe (never mind anything like going to the loo). Came straight home from work and I've swallowed a couple of large frogs sorting out car and cat insurance - cashback on both and multipet discount so I think I've done it as frugally as possible.
    Found 20p on my classroom floor, which I've used as my mini savings PAD.
    NST Join in January #1 nsd = 9 1 debt vs 100 days #5 £50/£553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: £114.40/£5750
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 24,738 Thanks
    foxgloves
    CCL - You might be knackered, but I'm sensing you're on a roll this month. That's another couple of 'frogs' gone for you - I also got rid of one today....well to be fair, it was still at the 'large tadpole' stage, but would have become a frog next week for sure!

TD - Yes, get those work lunches made at home. We worked out that we saved £2k a year taking our own lunches in. It's very quick once you get into the habit. When you write your food shopping list, just write on sufficient items to make however many lunches you need. If you have access to a microwave at work, you can take spare portions of pretty much anything in to heat up. But I agree that £7 x 5 (more if you work weekends) is a lot of cashola & you could put it to much better use.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £25
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 11th Jan 19, 9:20 PM
    • 4,463 Posts
    • 29,038 Thanks
    allydowd
    *Good news at last on the car front. Shan't relate the long highly unusual saga as I don't want to be identified, but we have been told we can exchange our vehicle at no cost to ourselves. A huge relief. A long complex saga.
    Originally posted by foxgloves

That calls for a calorie free e-celebration.

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Jan 19, 10:01 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 17,097 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Evening all. Late check in again but good day in mse terms:

Paid fleabay money to savings. Packaged up sale
    Reusable bottles for milk locally
    Packed away wonky veg box and wonky fruit box
    Made HM fajita spice. Why did I not know this was a thing until today used lots of veggies
    Hot drink for commute
    Didnít eat my lunch so put it back in freezer for a day next week. Didnít buy anything. Just wasnít hungry.
    Triaged fridge, froze a couple of items
    Checked banking, made a PAD
    Barginous nutrient tabs arrived from a cheapo supplier on line. Less than 50% of previous barginous supplier
    Cancelled a policy online using chat rather than calling or sending a letter

Looking forward to a productive weekend.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Jan 19, 10:16 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 24,738 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Thanks, Ally! Those cakes are defo.not destined for my hips!

Purps - I've been making my own fajhita spice mix for a couple of years now - so quick & easy, isn't it? Basically shaking store cupboard ingredients up in a jar!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £25
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Jan 19, 7:43 AM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 17,097 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Yes foxgloves so easy. Itís not like Iíve been wasting money on sachets in recent years, we just havenít had them as I think theyíre just too expensive for a bit of spice but then had a thought to make it as we do like it. Will definitely be adding to the menu planner more in future

Todayís list:
    Jiggled my spreadsheet about as weíre moving from 1 annual and 2 monthly payments to 1 monthly for something
    Reconciled my just for points cc
    Moved some money from a pot that I owed ourselves
    Get something from freezer for tea
    Vacuum though, itís fairly tidy so a vacuum should do
    Some form of exercise
    More sorting outside
    Order something online that I have a voucher for. Pay myself back in cash that I would have spent on item. PAD that amount. Works in my head anyway
    Make some cakes/biscuits

Have a good day. Purps.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Jan 19, 8:57 AM
    • 7,135 Posts
    • 42,208 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning I'm feeling back in the land of the living Madam has gone off to her prepaid lessons and out for the day with dd

Still want /need to take it fairly easy. Today:

* load of washing
    * vacuum & polish throughout
    * all meals from stores
    * update spending diary as got oh to do shopping last night. I've conditioned him into only buying what is on the list (so groceries come to less when he goes!)
    * walks with pup x 2
    * continue with shirt refashion. This has been a real labour of love as I have tried and tried to get it just so. I think I've cracked it! Just need to position darts correctly, tailor sleeves and reattach and then work out what I'm doing with the collar/neckline. It has been many hours work!
    * homework with madam
    * repair a hair clip of madam's that's been sitting on the kitchen side for over a week. It is a 2 min job including getting the glue gun out and heating it up!

foxgloves good news on the car
    Last edited by determined new ms; 12-01-2019 at 9:01 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Jan 19, 9:12 AM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 15,102 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks!

Big hugs to all the poorlies xx

Foxgloves - excellent news on the car
    Welcome to TubbyDown

V. Long Post Alert!

I was AWOL yesterday as we finally made a move to look at cars. I am the type of person who likes to mull things over beforehand, but when I make a decision, I normally make it fairly quickly. The decision re the car was probably one of the toughest decisions of my life due to the amount of money involved.

We knew that we wanted to replace our current car with something far more up to date. In the past, we have had cars that were about £1000 to buy and we have had them for 4-5 years. However, the replacement was to be ours for its sensible life - we aren't planning to swap it every few years.

I had been looking at 3 year old ones, but they were still very expensive (£10k +) as we need a large car for OH's work. In the end I took the big decision that we would have a brand new one. I know that there's the depreciation to consider, but as we were going to keep the car, I felt that it would be nice for us to have the benefit of the 3 years without the MOT and the warranty!

We have gone for a not-so-glamorous but very reliable brand which has kept the costs down. Plus they are currently offering 0% finance so we won't pay any interest (very pleased with this). The monthly repayments are pretty much the same as what we would have been paying for a not-as-new car.

I don't think that it was the only decision that we could have made. In fact, that's what made the decision so hard. There were pros and cons of any approach. But I'm hopeful that it's the right decision for us.

I hadn't realised how stressed I was though. I felt rough as anything all yesterday with a banging head, then inexplicably shattered at 8.30. I went to bed but then tossed and turned and had those weird half dreams that you get when you're ill or drunk. you know the ones that just flash the same thing over and over? Of course, it was all to do with cars and finance
    Then woke up completely at 1.30, felt twitchy so got up. Sorted the washing out and out away, washed up, wrote a meal plan, put a loaf on timer and sat crocheting until 4am. Finally went to bed and got a few hours of decent sleep.

I don't feel too bad considering, but still have a bit of a headache. Plus every time I think of cars I panic a bit

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores - done
    • Poss some batch cooking - nope
    • Go for a walk - nope
    • Strip - done and remake the bed - done
    • Sort out sideboard - done
    • Nip to Wilko to pick up new microwave - done
    • No alcohol - done
    • Check in to holiday flights and print off info - done
    • Reconcile budget sheet - done
    • Crochet - done
    • Early night as back in work tomorrow! - done
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 13-01-2019 at 9:04 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £7000
    Car final lump sum: £0/£6113
    • Dickenslass
    • By Dickenslass 12th Jan 19, 9:52 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Dickenslass
    Hi CLF and others!
    Wrote and lost long post last night.
    Not a nsd yesterday - taxi to doctors, glad I went though and very grateful for NHS and the care of a kind helpful doctor, whose done some tests straight away and referred me off for more detailed ones. Nearly cancelled for a time when I could do journey without a taxi but glad I didn’t wait!
    Also topped up on fruit juices and splurge on a pack of sweets yesterday. Only crave those when not well! Cold and lurgy hit properly overnight and took night nurse at 4am, so moving myself back into the category of a poorlie today and will probably manage a nsd by dint of not leaving the house.
    Did cook up several extra portions of chilli last night so my use it up endeavour and freezer stocks are going well.
    Little things today (they may be quite little)
    HWB instead of heating as actually welcome the cold feeling when I am snuggled into warm bed
    Text builder about problem with plumbing that I have concluded is not me, it is something wrong!
    Bleed radiator as I overpressured boiler in trying to fix problem yesterday. This will also involve tidying up airing cupboard so I can properly see boiler!
    Sort out food cupboard as have really benefitted from a visible use it up area in fridge and freezer and this is the last place forgotten treasure may be found.
    Just had use-it-up Muesli and almond yogurt (well past bbd but looked and tasted fine)
    Hot water into flask when boiling kettles today (or straight into hwb)
    PAD - am a bit obsessed with TT at the moment. Usually one of the balances or another has an odd amount on it.
    Hoover through for lodger while they are away. Bedding doesn’t need doing yet which is good as mine might!
    Read loaned books, watch a bit of tv - unusual chill time!
    Make a couple calls to catch up with mates if sneezes stop sufficiently to have a conversation!
    Think that’s it. Well done on your decision CLF. It sounds well thought through! I hope the stress of deciding eases in time to enjoy the newness of the new car!
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Jan 19, 12:02 PM
    • 5,433 Posts
    • 43,093 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Another here that is lurgy ridden, up most of the night due to coughing Have upped my inhalers as it really affects my asthma - breathing isn't my strong point at the best of times
    Hope your appointment for further tests comes through quickly Dickenslass, and they don't show anything untoward.

CLF hope your anxiety settles down now you have made a decision about the car. We were in the same position about 15 months ago, and opted for a newish dealer's approved used car. It was expensive, as it is the top of the range model (the best one that we found at the time.... but I do love the heated seats ) but we did have a couple of decentish vehicles to trade in, which eased the expense a bit. Like you we don't intend to be changing it every few years. We only changed because we had 2 vehicles that were no longer suitable for our lifestyle (pickup that had been great when we were doing up the house, and small car for my commute). We traded both in for this current car, which is a 4x4 to satisfy OH, and big enough to be practical for trips to the tip etc. We also have an elderly camper van, but that is a whole other story
    Anyway, not much sleep, so a very modest list today:
    HG cooked fruit with breakfast instead of bought fresh fruit

Put DD off coming round with the kids as I just don't feel up to it - felt a bit guilty as she hasn't been well either

Sent OH to buy more tissues, fruit, bread and milk etc
    Meals will be from home - I have some lamb meat cut off of the bones I processed the other day, so will make that into a curry. If I add veg, there will be plenty for OH and I
    Might try and get out for a walk later as the weather seems ok again. I feel shivery, but the fresh air might make me feel a bit more human!
    And that is about it - might try to catch up on some sleep later, though I don't like sleeping in the day. Will defo be an early night if not though!

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 7,135 Posts
    • 42,208 Thanks
    determined new ms
    So today we bought a new sofa! I've never had a new sofa before, don't really see the point in a lot of new stuff as am happy with recycled things but we have a small lounge and continually struggle with size of furniture, so we finally bit the bullet and got a capsule 3 seat sofa.

going to have change banks for the introductory hand shake to offset the cost
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Jan 19, 5:41 PM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 38,268 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hello
    I am breaking every rule in my book today... I am drunk, in the middle of the day AND I am posting online AND I haven't been very mse today either.
    However, I have been celebrating my divorce with my mam, sister and bestie - it was one of my planned days out the month. We had an afternoon tea with fizz booked, followed by a couple of cocktails. It's been a really fun day though, and I've really enjoyed it - I'll worry about money tomorrow.
    So none of the usual little bits, although I have kept on top of washing and hoovering (as always). I will probably feel this in the morning
    Congratulations on the cars CLF and Foxgloves. I have a nearly new car which is worth every penny I pay for it.
    NST Join in January #1 nsd = 9 1 debt vs 100 days #5 £50/£553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: £114.40/£5750
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Jan 19, 5:45 PM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 15,102 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Hello
    I am breaking every rule in my book today... I am drunk, in the middle of the day AND I am posting online AND I haven't been very mse today either.
    However, I have been celebrating my divorce with my mam, sister and bestie - it was one of my planned days out the month. We had an afternoon tea with fizz booked, followed by a couple of cocktails. It's been a really fun day though, and I've really enjoyed it - I'll worry about money tomorrow.
    So none of the usual little bits, although I have kept on top of washing and hoovering (as always). I will probably feel this in the morning
    Congratulations on the cars CLF and Foxgloves. I have a nearly new car which is worth every penny I pay for it.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Sometimes breaking the rules is the right thing! Happy divorce day!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £7000
    Car final lump sum: £0/£6113
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 12th Jan 19, 5:58 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 9,484 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Congrats CCL, enjoy the rest of your days celebrations!
    Clf & dnms on your new purchases
    Hope poorlies are feeling better.

to all

Not a lot in the way of mse her today but on the other hand we were meant to be eating out tonight but changed our plans and got some party type foodie bits from the supermarket instead so that was pretty mse.

Done the usual bits like
    sockets all off,
    dishwasher on the quick wash,
    ys bread for toast for breakfast
    blankets and extra layers on before the heating went on
    watched a film with the kids from our stash
    shared bath water and let hair dry naturally

Still to do
    search up HM fajetia spice! not thought of that thanks pf & foxgloves!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 12th Jan 19, 6:18 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 11,857 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    DNMS We only had new sofas when we moved in to our first house, nearly 20 years ago,they were from IKEA, we lived a very different life, no children, both working full time in well paid jobs. Now we have:
    1 sofa & armchair from BILs Gran
    1 sofa from ex neighbors
    1 armchair from my parents
    2 armchairs that used to be OH grandmother's who died nearly 30 years ago
    I found it is more important to find something suitable for the space, than whether it was new or old.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Jan 19, 6:26 PM
    • 7,135 Posts
    • 42,208 Thanks
    determined new ms
    DNMS We only had new sofas when we moved in to our first house, nearly 20 years ago,they were from IKEA, we lived a very different life, no children, both working full time in well paid jobs. Now we have:
    1 sofa & armchair from BILs Gran
    1 sofa from ex neighbors
    1 armchair from my parents
    2 armchairs that used to be OH grandmother's who died nearly 30 years ago
    I found it is more important to find something suitable for the space, than whether it was new or old.
    Originally posted by Baileys Babe
    That's where I am BB. It would always be my preference to get 2nd hand items where possible. Both for financial and just because I prefer to stop things from going to landfill just so we can make more and buy more. But we have tried getting a compact sofa 2nd hand and never see them and out current configuration isn't very back friendly.

I'm very happy with this purchase I guess the reason why are frugal is to give us these choices when it works for us
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Jan 19, 6:29 PM
    • 7,135 Posts
    • 42,208 Thanks
    determined new ms
    congrats CCL. I love afternoon cocktails seems so decadent

happy new car clf

hope your breathing problems cease and desist Dawn!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th Jan 19, 9:07 PM
    • 4,463 Posts
    • 29,038 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hello
    I am breaking every rule in my book today... I am drunk, in the middle of the day AND I am posting online AND I haven't been very mse today either..
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady

Guilt free cake.

• Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 12th Jan 19, 9:53 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 11,857 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    I agree DNMS our furnishing choices are as much about reducing our environmental impact as they are about reducing the impact to our finances.
    • Dickenslass
    • By Dickenslass 12th Jan 19, 11:54 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Dickenslass
    Just popping in quickly to say congratulations CCL. Wish you all the best with the next era!

Also to note... NSD today
    And that evil work admin frog that eluded me last weekend... is now done! It took 9 hours to chew!!! And that was just the online bit! Am now ready for bed but super happy to have achieved it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,361Posts Today

8,948Users online

Martin's Twitter