Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ~ Daisy ~
    • By ~ Daisy ~ 6th Jan 19, 8:06 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 41Thanks
    ~ Daisy ~
    To raw feed or not to raw feed?
    • 6th Jan 19, 8:06 PM
    To raw feed or not to raw feed? 6th Jan 19 at 8:06 PM
    We have a 3 year old Spaniel, Mum was Sprocker, dad full ESS. Beautiful, well behaved, and above all healthy and loved . I frequent several Spaniel forum/ facebook groups and almost all answers to almost all questions are raw feed them....

I do understand that a dogs diet is paramount to its wellbeing, I too offer/give fresh/cooked veggies as well as fish and chicken to supplement her dried food. I have been thinking of moving towards a raw diet but am not sure if it will have any benefit to her over all health.

Daisy.
Page 1
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 7th Jan 19, 1:08 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    northwalesd
    • 7th Jan 19, 1:08 PM
    • 7th Jan 19, 1:08 PM
    My brother and his wife have a 2 year old sprocker, she's a totally transformed dog now they have her on a raw diet. They had difficulty getting her to eat properly previously, she was slightly (though not alarmingly) underweight.

I'd say give it a try.
    • GBNI
    • By GBNI 7th Jan 19, 1:17 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    GBNI
    • 7th Jan 19, 1:17 PM
    • 7th Jan 19, 1:17 PM
    My two are on a raw diet and they are doing fabulous. I do a mix of Paleo Ridge completes and DIY. They look amazing.
    • hb2
    • By hb2 7th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    hb2
    • 7th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    • 7th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    I know that a lot of commercial petfood contains things the animals would never eat in the wild. I have my 2 cats on a raw diet and they are both doing very well on it.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Jan 19, 5:12 PM
    • 5,952 Posts
    • 4,499 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 7th Jan 19, 5:12 PM
    • 7th Jan 19, 5:12 PM
    People who feed raw will tell you it is the best way. After all they wouldn't feed their animal that way if they did not believe. that.

Your vet will probably not agree. Those against raw feeding will tell you how bad it is.

Before feeding raw make sure you do research and know what you should be feeding to balance the diet. It is more than raw beef.

Ready made foods can take the guess work out of it but will be more expensive than doing it yourself.

I changed to raw feeding 20 years ago and my dogs have always been healthy. Three different vets commented on how good my dog looked and asked what I fed. When I replied 'a raw diet' there was no comment.
    • ~ Daisy ~
    • By ~ Daisy ~ 7th Jan 19, 5:27 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    ~ Daisy ~
    • 7th Jan 19, 5:27 PM
    • 7th Jan 19, 5:27 PM
    More research is needed I think, I do feel like I'm a convert hovering at the start line!

I know I can buy readymade/ complete raw diet meals which would do for a while until I was confident in doing my own. I would need more freezer space too.

Thank you for the replies it definately (raw) food for thought!
    Last edited by ~ Daisy ~; 07-01-2019 at 6:58 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 7th Jan 19, 6:56 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,733 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 7th Jan 19, 6:56 PM
    • 7th Jan 19, 6:56 PM
    Just make sure you avoid Natural Instinct, sadly several cats have recently died from TB after eating Natural Instinct as the company were failing to test their meat.
    • ~ Daisy ~
    • By ~ Daisy ~ 7th Jan 19, 7:00 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    ~ Daisy ~
    • 7th Jan 19, 7:00 PM
    • 7th Jan 19, 7:00 PM
    Just make sure you avoid Natural Instinct, sadly several cats have recently died from TB after eating Natural Instinct as the company were failing to test their meat.
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    That is shocking....
    • mtbbuxton
    • By mtbbuxton 7th Jan 19, 9:34 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    mtbbuxton
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:34 PM
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:34 PM
    There are several raw feeding groups on Facebook, my personal favourite is BARF UK They're a mainly friendly and helpful group which is well moderated.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/barfdietchat/
    • hb2
    • By hb2 8th Jan 19, 10:33 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    hb2
    I believe that vets get very little nutritional input during their training and, like some GPs, are very influenced by the reps from various companies.

The TB things recently was a shocker but I believe the easiest answer is to avoid beef products - not a problem for me as they would not be a natural part of a cat's diet but I know nothing about dog nutrition!

As Sherambler says, we all do what we think it best for our furry companions. There is rarely a true 'one size fits all'.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Jan 19, 10:36 AM
    • 18,547 Posts
    • 47,083 Thanks
    elsien
    I've never raw fed myself but a lot of fellow bull terrier owners do because in a lot of cases it can help with skin allergies and skin conditions. Some dogs are allergic to certain meats and that diet doesn't suit them I've always been happy with feeding kibble with stuff chucked in.you can buy the raw food ready prepared if you're going to do it yourself you need to do a lot of research and have a lot of freezer space which is another reason why I don't bother with it
    Last edited by elsien; 09-01-2019 at 8:58 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 8th Jan 19, 12:13 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,733 Thanks
    GwylimT
    I believe that vets get very little nutritional input during their training and, like some GPs, are very influenced by the reps from various companies.

The TB things recently was a shocker but I believe the easiest answer is to avoid beef products - not a problem for me as they would not be a natural part of a cat's diet but I know nothing about dog nutrition!

As Sherambler says, we all do what we think it best for our furry companions. There is rarely a true 'one size fits all'.
    Originally posted by hb2
    Venison and lamb are at the top when it comes to TB in meat as they’re outdoor grazers. All cats who died or were infected had eaten venison.
    • Vet
    • By Vet 8th Jan 19, 1:17 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Vet
    As a vet, I can tell you that raw feeding has its pro's and con's.
    For an animal with some sort of allergy, whether skin or gastrointestinal, it can be useful as it can eliminate the allergen source. However, there are commercial hypoallergenic/anallergenic diets available.
    Raw diets come with the risk of transmission of disease such as salmonella and campylobacter. The risk of transmission is not just to the animal but to you, the owner, and your family.
    I have a seen a rise in the number of gastrointestinal disease secondary to raw feeding over the past few years - however I am just one vet.
    Home cooked diets can also provide the benefits of a non-commercial diet (e.g. eliminating the allergen source), whilst reducing the risk of disease transmission through cooking. I would suggest this if you are not a fan of commercial diets.

Edit: Feel free to private message me if you have any more questions regarding diets etc.
    • ~ Daisy ~
    • By ~ Daisy ~ 8th Jan 19, 2:38 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    ~ Daisy ~
    Thank you all for the information.

Having discussed further with my hubby who is not too keen on the idea, We are going to carry on a we are for now, whilst I do further research, Im going to speak to the other owners in my local dog walking group and at agility, as I believe there are a few owners who raw feed,and may have local knowledge of suppliers etc.

TB is often not mentioned by those who raw feed from what I have read so is a real big Con on my Pro/Con list.
    Last edited by ~ Daisy ~; 08-01-2019 at 2:43 PM. Reason: typo
    • hb2
    • By hb2 9th Jan 19, 5:10 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    hb2
    The TB issue only really came to light a couple of months ago.
    • ~ Daisy ~
    • By ~ Daisy ~ 12th Jan 19, 4:07 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    ~ Daisy ~
    The TB issue only really came to light a couple of months ago.
    Originally posted by hb2

Hmm, now wondering what happened a couple of months ago for this to be an issue now, or has it been an unknown one for longer?

We are going to be sticking with what has worked well for the last 3 years. Have decided if it aint broke dont fix it!
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 12th Jan 19, 6:08 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    We have a retired greyhound and feed commercial /branded shop purchased kibble supplemented with fresh meat / fish / bones / veg.

I would never advocate raw or commercial as it is down to personal choice and budget.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 12th Jan 19, 9:25 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,733 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Hmm, now wondering what happened a couple of months ago for this to be an issue now, or has it been an unknown one for longer?

We are going to be sticking with what has worked well for the last 3 years. Have decided if it aint broke dont fix it!
    Originally posted by ~ Daisy ~

Meat for animals undergoes the same testing as human meat, however, human meat is cooked, so isn’t rouinely tested for TB.

The particular company involved have failed to correctly test their products to accout for the lack of cooking, iif you avoid natural instinct you’re safe.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 13th Jan 19, 12:17 AM
    • 4,463 Posts
    • 11,445 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    We feed our beagle raw food. Only issue we have is that (occasionally) we'll forget to defrost another tub for him.....it's not natural instinct but a similar company.

In fact on the occasions we feed him tinned food, we refer it to the doggy equivalent of a mcdonalds
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • madlyn
    • By madlyn 17th Jan 19, 10:58 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    madlyn
    I often consider putting my 8 yr old Jack Russell on to a raw diet.
    She currently eats a Salmon and Potato dry food light version as she is a little over weight.
    I give her this as some other dry food I have tried seems to give her a very bad skin irritation, either from to much animal protein or the grain in it. So I'm unsure if giving her all meat would make the skin issue worse.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

694Posts Today

6,805Users online

Martin's Twitter