Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alanem
    • By Alanem 6th Jan 19, 2:31 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Alanem
    0 WOW
    Disabled travel
    • 6th Jan 19, 2:31 PM
    0 WOW
    Disabled travel 6th Jan 19 at 2:31 PM
    Hello Can anybody help me regarding flying as a disabled passenger. All airports seem to offer wheelchair assistance and most airlines make arrangements for seats for a disabled person but when it comes to an adjoining seat for a carer there doesn't seem to be any set rules unless you pay. If my carer (wife) is at the back of the plane have I got to get an attendant to help me to the toilet which is a waste of resource and embarrassing. I have been told there are some EU rules about this but is there anything official for worldwide travel?
Page 1
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Jan 19, 2:59 PM
    • 4,767 Posts
    • 7,125 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 6th Jan 19, 2:59 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 2:59 PM
    Best thing is to check with the airline you are thinking of using before you book.

Even Ryanair say "Where a reduced mobility passenger is travelling with an accompanying adult, we will do our best to ensure the accompanying passenger is seated next to them."
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 6th Jan 19, 3:08 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 6th Jan 19, 3:08 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 3:08 PM
    My wife often travels with a friend who requires assistance and they have always got seats together without having to pay extra for them. This has been with both Ryanair and Jet2.

You will find that the seats are pre allocated when you check-in online.

The biggest hassle is the assistance within the airport which can be patchy and varys from airport to airport.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 6th Jan 19, 3:22 PM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 71,247 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 6th Jan 19, 3:22 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 3:22 PM
    If you are taking your own wheelchair then I believe most, if not all airlines flying to or from a UK or European airport will carry it for free, including USA carriers.

The same applies to mobility scooters - write from experience here - if it's a small one then most will carry the thing no problem.

As for adjacent seats - as soon as you book, add disabled assistance to your booking for the disabled passenger and put down what assistance is needed, most airlines will allocate adjacent seats to a couple, one of which is disabled.
    The only exception we have found to this is Ryanair, the best in our experience is Aegean closely followed by Alitalia both of them gave adjacent seating within minutes of booking.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Jan 19, 4:25 PM
    • 4,767 Posts
    • 7,125 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 6th Jan 19, 4:25 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 4:25 PM
    I generally have a very low opinion of RyanAir and would never fly with them, but my OH uses them sometimes.

A few days before flying to Europe last year, he broke three bones in his left foot. Although he could walk, his walking was very slow and he was worried about being slow to board and people knocking his foot on the plane.

I phoned Ryanair and they were wonderful. They allocated a window seat on the left hand side of the plane two rows from the back. They blocked out the seat next to him. They arranged for him to board and disembark last (through the back door). I was very impressed.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 6th Jan 19, 4:29 PM
    • 5,068 Posts
    • 1,929 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 6th Jan 19, 4:29 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 4:29 PM
    The problems we have had were always caused by the staff at foreign airports not allowing enough time to get a wheelchair to the plane. Never missed a flight but caused a few delays.
    So arrive in good time and make sure the airport handling staff know what you need, then be prepare to make a nuisance of yourself as time advances.
    Never had a problem sitting together without paying on short haul, did have a problem with this on a Singapore Air flight but this was caused by them using a substitute aircraft.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 6th Jan 19, 6:06 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    sheilavw
    • 6th Jan 19, 6:06 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 6:06 PM
    we booked disabled assistance, there was me , my Husband in a wheelchair n our daughter. we were allocated 3 seats directly behind each other. we rang and they changed free of charge to 3 next to each other (jet2)
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Jan 19, 7:48 PM
    • 4,767 Posts
    • 7,125 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:48 PM
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:48 PM
    we booked disabled assistance, there was me , my Husband in a wheelchair n our daughter. we were allocated 3 seats directly behind each other. we rang and they changed free of charge to 3 next to each other (jet2)
    Originally posted by sheilavw
    Were they three aisle seats? Seems a reasonable allocation if so.

Your husband in a wheel chair needs to be in an aisle seat to easily move between his wheelchair and his airline seat.

You and your daughter by being on aisle seats can easily assist him if needs the lavatory during the flight.

Just seems a bit inconvenient for anybody blocked in by him unless he was in a bulkhead row.
    Last edited by Nick_C; 06-01-2019 at 7:52 PM.
    • Alanem
    • By Alanem 13th Jan 19, 1:10 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Alanem
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:10 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:10 PM
    Thanks to all..I've since found out there is an EU directive about providing adjoining seats for carers when flying from/within Europe. Long haul is another story and if you have to make a transfer...its an extra on any subsequent flights. One up for the Remainers?
    • ABARKIE
    • By ABARKIE 14th Jan 19, 10:24 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    ABARKIE
    Where are you flying to?

My partner and I have taken my partner's disabled daughter to USA (about 7 or 8 times - Orlando, Las Vegas, New York, Miami, Los Angeles), Australia, Spain, Portugal, Dubai, Tenerife and Dublin

She cannot walk and has to be stepped or use the wheelchair seat down the aisle

I can only think that once did we not get seated together

Even on that occasion once we got to plane, the attendants, moved people out of seats to accommodate us

On most occasions a call straight after booking resolves matters, or on check in - especially on long haul

When we went to Australia Quantas gave us the seats 1 row from the toilet and the toilet "walls" folded out to create plenty of space

Hope this helps
    Last edited by ABARKIE; 14-01-2019 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,624Posts Today

8,422Users online

Martin's Twitter