How many is too many?

Comments

• It would seem that from my sisters and my partners experience that Nationwide after a good few months of banking with them seem to throw everything at you, overdrafts, credit cards and loans.

Makes me wonder why I haven’t put my main bank account with them.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Lenders like longevity but judge low credit limits on existing credit accounts as suspicious. Assuming that an application for a limit increase results in an examination of a credit history you are more likely to get a limit increase if there is no other available credit on existing cards.
    Do you have any meaningful evidence to support these? Before you ask, I don't have anything concrete that contradicts them, but I'm not the one making the counter-intuitive generalised assertions about lender behaviour and would expect them to use reasonably well-structured decision-making processes that take into account all relevant factors for an individual, based on their circumstances....
    Whether that filling of every section of my credit history did any good is debatable: My current financial situation says it did!
    Aren't you mixing up correlation and causation here - you adopted a certain approach to populating a credit history and your situation improved, but that doesn't necessarily imply that one actually caused the other.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Do you have any meaningful evidence to support these? Before you ask, I don't have anything concrete that contradicts them, but I'm not the one making the counter-intuitive generalised assertions about lender behaviour and would expect them to use reasonably well-structured decision-making processes that take into account all relevant factors for an individual, based on their circumstances....
    Common knowledge amongst those of us who have bothered to investigate it. For example take a look at a Clearscore report: You will find almost exactly the same conclusions on longevity and credit limits that I posted.
    Aren't you mixing up correlation and causation here - you adopted a certain approach to populating a credit history and your situation improved, but that doesn't necessarily imply that one actually caused the other.

As I said it's debatable and I outlined my own personal experience which I do rather a lot in my posts on MSE Forums. However I have done a lot better in rebuilding my credit history than those I know who concentrated on credit cards alone. However it pretty much goes without saying that dependence of credit card accounts to build or rebuild a credit history is pretty much a fallacy.
  • eskbanker
    Common knowledge amongst those of us who have bothered to investigate it. For example take a look at a Clearscore report: You will find almost exactly the same conclusions on longevity and credit limits that I posted.
    I wasn't challenging your statement about longevity, which, as you say, is common knowledge, but I still haven't seen or heard anything that endorses your view about how lenders "judge low credit limits on existing credit accounts as suspicious" and can't see anything to that effect on Clearscore. You might be right that OP would be looked on more favourably if they keep their highest limit CC and close the rest on the basis that they have low limits, but it would surprise me if it was that simple, hence asking if there was anything that endorsed your suggestion.
    However it pretty much goes without saying that dependence of credit card accounts to build or rebuild a credit history is pretty much a fallacy.
    Sounds like a strawman argument to me, I don't see anyone claiming that re/building a credit history is dependent on credit cards, although some posters have rightly taken issue with one poster's dismissal of credit card use as 'nonsense'.
  • Anthorn
    edited 6 January 2019 at 4:38PM
    I wasn't challenging your statement about longevity, which, as you say, is common knowledge, but I still haven't seen or heard anything that endorses your view about how lenders "judge low credit limits on existing credit accounts as suspicious" and can't see anything to that effect on Clearscore. You might be right that OP would be looked on more favourably if they keep their highest limit CC and close the rest on the basis that they have low limits, but it would surprise me if it was that simple, hence asking if there was anything that endorsed your suggestion.

Oh dear, can you hear me sighing from there?

On my clearscore report the first page I see after clicking on "Report" states:
    Things you're doing well

You don't have any court judgements, bankruptcies or Individual Voluntary Arrangements
    You have no accounts in default or repossession
    You have held at least one of your accounts for several years
    Very few/none of your accounts have overdue payments
    Your largest credit card limit is relatively high
    You have stayed within your credit card limit in the past year
    You're using a small amount of your total credit card limit (below 50%)
    Your current Telecoms balance is relatively low
    Sounds like a strawman argument to me, I don't see anyone claiming that re/building a credit history is dependent on credit cards, although some posters have rightly taken issue with one poster's dismissal of credit card use as 'nonsense'

i.e. in this thread? Also you can see it in numerous other posts: People tend to equate "Credit History" with "Credit cards" as if that is the only form of credit which will build a credit history. As I said, that is a fallacy.

Are you criticising my post just for the sake of criticism or do you have a point to make? If so what is your point?

If you wish to disagree with what I have posted then you will need to post qualifying links.
  • eskbanker
    On my clearscore report the first page I see after clicking on "Report" states:
    Things you're doing well

You don't have any court judgements, bankruptcies or Individual Voluntary Arrangements
    You have no accounts in default or repossession
    You have held at least one of your accounts for several years
    Very few/none of your accounts have overdue payments
    Your largest credit card limit is relatively high
    You have stayed within your credit card limit in the past year
    You're using a small amount of your total credit card limit (below 50%)
    Your current Telecoms balance is relatively low
    You obviously feel that this supports your view on low limits in some way, but, again in the context of you recommending to OP that they shut down lower limit cards, the Clearscore quote refers to size of 'largest credit card limit', as well as the benefit of a low total utilisation percentage (which obviously increases if closing cards). Worth bearing in mind too that this is just Clearscore's perspective, which obviously isn't necessarily indicative of how lenders see things.
    i.e. in this thread? Also you can see it in numerous other posts: People tend to equate "Credit History" with "Credit cards" as if that is the only form of credit which will build a credit history. As I said, that is a fallacy.
    I don't disagree that it's a fallacy, but still don't see anyone in this thread claiming that credit cards are the only way to build credit history! I can't say I've gone looking for such claims elsewhere but if you disagree with what 'people' are posting on other threads then why not take it up with them over on those?
    Are you criticising my post just for the sake of criticism or do you have a point to make? If so what is your point?
    My point is that, not for the first time, your opinions on credit management are at odds with many others' and so, in the context of an OP looking for guidance, I was wondering if you actually had anything meaningful to back them up. I now have my answer, thanks, and hopefully so does OP and anyone else still reading....
    If you wish to disagree with what I have posted then you will need to post qualifying links.
    Kind of you to invent some new posting rules, I look forward to you following them!
  • Anthorn
    edited 6 January 2019 at 6:26PM
    You obviously feel that this supports your view on low limits in some way, but, again in the context of you recommending to OP that they shut down lower limit cards, the Clearscore quote refers to size of 'largest credit card limit', as well as the benefit of a low total utilisation percentage (which obviously increases if closing cards). Worth bearing in mind too that this is just Clearscore's perspective, which obviously isn't necessarily indicative of how lenders see things.

I don't disagree that it's a fallacy, but still don't see anyone in this thread claiming that credit cards are the only way to build credit history! I can't say I've gone looking for such claims elsewhere but if you disagree with what 'people' are posting on other threads then why not take it up with them over on those?

My point is that, not for the first time, your opinions on credit management are at odds with many others' and so, in the context of an OP looking for guidance, I was wondering if you actually had anything meaningful to back them up. I now have my answer, thanks, and hopefully so does OP and anyone else still reading....

Kind of you to invent some new posting rules, I look forward to you following them!

The whole of your post is just banter. It doesn't say very much at all and certainly is not qualified and equally doesn't contribute anything but banter to the discussion. If you disagree there must be an alternative so what is that alternative and where is the qualification? If you don't disagree what is the point of your post?

On my own account I have qualified my post with a quote from Clearscore. If what I say is a figment of my imagination and at odds with others where did Clearscore get it from?
  • Because all CRA’s say things to get you to improve an imaginary score and rating.

Clearscores purpose is to promote cards and loans etc and to make money from referrals.

The CRA “advice” is to be taken with a pinch of salt
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2019 at 1:17PM
    If played correctly credit cards can save you 1000's in the right circumstances. I have a Flybe credit card that, for me anyway, has done just this in the last few years. Used to get 4 of us flown up to my mums for approx quarter of the normal cost (maybe less) but sadly they've stopped the route now!! Still need to try and get rid of 6 UK and 3 EU vouchers (pay taxes only) in the next 6 months or so.....but hey, they cost me nothing!!

Only got back into Amex again in the summer because of this and since then i've saved 100's . Their opening account and ongoing offers are a goldmine and December past was brilliant!! Off the top of my head highlights were linking MR points to Amazon for very decent reductions, 10% off Morrisons for whole month and £10 off £30 for fuel at BP. That last one was used 6 times between me and my wife. Even put a couple of small donations towards charities That's not even bringing Avios into it which i haven't used yet but hope to do in future!!

Here's a quick example...time it right, which admittedly i didn't this year, and you easily end up with £200 worth of Sainsburys vouchers from Nectar Amex when Sainsburys ran their double points offer. Have a partner????....then double it!!!

Until a week ago i was running 6 Amex cards alone.....cut that back to 3 now!! If their offers are still running in 6 months from now i'll rinse and repeat!!

Don't know of any debit cards or bank accounts that offer you this kind of stuff for nothing!!

2 rules only-

DON'T change normal spend

and set up D-D to clear every month!!

ps- i'm not even a big player and haven't got into Avios yet!!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    johnbhoy10 wrote: »
    If played correctly credit cards can save you 1000's in the right circumstances. I have a Flybe credit card that, for me anyway, has done just this in the last few years. Used to get 4 of us flown up to my mums for approx quarter of the normal cost (maybe less) but sadly they've stopped the route now!! Still need to try and get rid of 6 UK and 3 EU vouchers (pay taxes only) in the next 6 months or so.....but hey, they cost me nothing!!

Only got back into Amex again in the summer because of this and since then i've saved 100's . Their opening account and ongoing offers are a goldmine and December past was brilliant!! Off the top of my head highlights were linking MR points to Amazon for very decent reductions, 10% off Morrisons for whole month and £10 off £30 for fuel at BP. That last one was used 6 times between me and my wife. Even put a couple of small donations towards charities That's not even bringing Avios into it which i haven't used yet but hope to do in future!!

Here's a quick example...time it right, which admittedly i didn't this year, and you easily end up with £200 worth of Sainsburys vouchers from Nectar Amex when Sainsburys ran their double points offer. Have a partner????....then double it!!!

Until a week ago i was running 6 Amex cards alone.....cut that back to 3 now!! If their offers are still running in 6 months from now i'll rinse and repeat!!

Don't know of any debit cards or bank accounts that offer you this kind of stuff for nothing!!

2 rules only-

DON'T change normal spend

and set up D-D to clear every month!!

ps- i'm not even a big player and haven't got into Avios yet!!
    Lots of bank accounts, debit cards offer rewards. I have a 123 Santander account and usually accept the cash rewards which come up every month on various retailers. Halifax and Nat West also offer rewards as does Lloyds Club accounts.

I don't have an issue with people choosing to use credit cards for cashback/rewards etc and do it myself with the JL partnership card and Santander 123. When it does become an issue is when people think the credit limit means they can spend up to that and then get into difficulties with repaying it. If you have financial discipline then it is not an issue but sadly there are lots who use it as the easy option to buy things when they really cannot afford them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure