Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 4th Jan 19, 1:59 PM
    • 253Posts
    • 565Thanks
    nomorecredit
    No more credit.... no more debt
    • 4th Jan 19, 1:59 PM
    No more credit.... no more debt 4th Jan 19 at 1:59 PM
    Hi

Well its only taken me 11 years to finally start my own diary and hopefully begin to pop in on other diaries which I have been following for years There are so many inspirational people on here its such a wonderful community, I read diaries every day without fail I just haven't had the courage to post and I am not sure why!

I live with my OH and my two little ladies aged 7 and 5. I am fortunate enough to work part time (3.5 days a week) and have a wonderful family and group of friends so very lucky in life.

I have been in debt constantly since the age of 18 it was relentless but all my fault - constant overspending and not taking responsibility for my money. I have never in all the years of working (since 16) got to the end of the month with money in my account and I am determined that this will change.

I turn 44 in 10 days and its time for me to grow up. I have been so fortunate that my partner was in a position to help me clear my credit card debt and this is no longer the heavy burden that I carried around 24/7 and the cause of constant anxiety. I never want to feel like this again. Another reason for starting this diary. My mentality towards money has to change.

However, I am not out of the woods yet, it is the first Christmas in years which I have not used a credit card to get through Christmas or buy anything on credit what so ever but I do have two existing debts and owe my mum 550 and N$xt 80.

I have 96.79 in my account until payday (15th of each month), there is a DD to come out and also to pay for travel so that leaves me with 56.30 left with 6 in my purse. Therefore I thought this would be an opportunity for me to have a fresh start and begin to track every spend, savings etc to keep me on the straight and narrow and be accountable.

I have requested that my credit card account is closed and aim to pay my mum and next off by 15th February 2019.

My weakness is mindless spending such a bad habit and this needs to stop, one of my goals for 2019 is to get to the end of the month with some money left, track all spends, stick to my monthly budget and save money for holiday, school uniforms, emergency fund and Christmas 2019. Oh and lose a stone in weight !

I love shopping any shopping, buying for others too especially my little ladies but they have more than they need. I am a lot more careful nowadays but it is still not good enough. I have habits of taking lunch to work then buying it !!! Again bad habits which need to stop.

I have started the 2019 1p savings challenge (17.18 in there already - I found a tin of coppers and 5p's so a great start) and 2 NSD's in January so far aim to do at least 15. I also want to take my lunch to work for at least 14 days (I work one day from home so not counted these)

My proposed budget for 2019 has been set up and I have decided to use the cash envelope system - cash works better for me as I lose track when I use my debit card and find it too easy to spend (will be leaving this at home from now on)

I am fortunate enough to live in an area which is close to a train station and lots of amenities together with the girls school being in walking distance I no longer have a car and walk everywhere whatever the weather and don't need a car = no expenses. I use my partners car at the weekend if needed.

So here I go, no time like the present to get started.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Best wishes to you all for 2019
    NMC x
Page 8
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 5th Jun 19, 8:28 PM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 18,095 Thanks
    teafor2
    Evening NMC Just catching up with you although I don't know why I've missed so many posts

Firstly, well done on climbing the mountain What a sense of achievement that must have been. I love Haworth and Hebden Bridge. The last time we went we visited Oakworth and then tracked down the cottage that The Railway Children was filmed at.

Blimey that's a heck of a list of birthdays between now and Christmas, 19 if I've added up correctly - are they all family and do you buy presents for everybody or are some just cards?

If you want to treat yourself to some beauty treatments I'd say definitely get a pot up and running so you don't feel guilty about spending the money. We all need something to look forward to.

Love the fact your little girl is making a list of things to sell, they're never too young to learn about money

In answer to your question about fruit and veg, yes, a big chunk of my money goes on that, as well as chocolate biscuits It really annoys me when the experts go on about eating healthily. It's fine if you have a decent budget but when 6 apples are 1.60 I can understand why people might opt for several packets of biscuits instead.

Good luck with your NSD's and lunch to work challenge. xx
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 6th Jun 19, 8:26 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Evening Tea, thanks for popping in, appreciate your company x

Thank you so much, yes I was super chuffed with myself.

It is just a stunning part of the country, count myself very lucky to live so close and made a promise to myself to go back at Christmas its meant to be amazing and they do all sorts of different events all year found ie. steam punk, 1960's

Re: Birthdays /Christmas - Birthday's are a combination of immediate family, friends and their children who I and my girls am all close to. My Christmas present list is 22 people which includes mum, my girls (OH buys the majority for them though) and OH, friends, kids, nephews and nieces etc.... It has been cut down alot too no longer buy christmas presents for some of my friends and their kids but still birthdays. I have been thinking of suggesting to my friends I still buy for to do a secret santa instead. I do love Christmas its one of my favourite time of the year.

Part of the savings for Christmas is to include some new decorations, food/drink and "entertainment" to enjoy some days out with the girls as myself and OH are both off work and I also want to get to New Years Day and not be spent up :-)

When my girls ask for things and I say I don't have the money they say "use your credit card" so explaining how they work to a 7 and 6 year old is rather tricky but you are right never too young to learn, I do not want them to be like me.

It does add up we can go through at least 3 punnets of strawberries and grapes each a week sometimes 4! You are right about the biscuits especially when you can get 3 packets for 1 its a cheaper option. I would eat the 3 too so my waist line would not appreciate it.

Have a lovely evening
    Best wishes
    NMC xx
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - Lunch to work - 4/12
    October - NSD - 5/12
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 6th Jun 19, 8:44 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Evening Thursday

Well the NMC household are all in bed asleep including the dog !

Work done for another week also another lunch to work today and NSD!

Whilst I am pleased with the progress I was thinking (I always overthink !) that when I get to a week - 10 days before payday I hardly spend and this is because I have don't have much money left to spend so its easier. I think the challenge is to try and preserve my money and think about what I am spending just after payday, I tend to "treat" myself and its full steam ahead to spend spend spend even if its planned e.g. holiday clothes and spend in all one go. I also feel the need to be organised for birthdays and go buy all the gifts and cards immediately. I always think the budget isn't enough but I think its me who isn't working the budget properly, I need to get a grip of this its relentless.

Plans for the weekend ww on Saturday and meeting my lovely school mum friends for lunch and drinks although I am not drinking as its an early start Sunday to do a 22 mile walk. I have said I am only out a couple of hours then home which is good as I have 20 left in my "entertainment budget" also OH has a friends 40th and I need to be home for the girls and we have no babysitter. Works out very well and lighter on my budget. My food shop budget this week is 60 so I have to be "on it" with the meal plan and shopping list.

Looking forward to the following weekend visiting friends in Cardiff, the girls are off school on Friday as its a training day so we are to get an early start.

Crikey I do twitter a bit, off to catch up on other dairies.

Best wishes
    NMC xxx
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 7th Jun 19, 9:27 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Morning Friday,

Girls at school, house upside down, mount ironing to tackle, carpets to clean, dog bed to wash, bedding to wash, dusting, wiping down, bathrooms to clean etc etc etc etc and I am sat here twittering away.

Going to give myself 20 more mins then on with the tasks ahead, I am going to tackle upstairs first I think.

Just remembered fathers day is next week so need to go with the girls to get a card and gift. I do miss my dad and sad the girls, nephew and nieces don't have their granddad here to watch them grow up. I am sure he would be so proud of them.

Determined to have a NSD, going to do a inventory of what is in the cupboards, fridge and freezer, plan meals from Sunday to Thursday and snacks, lunch to take on Friday for journey to Cardiff.

I need to go to the bank I have a basic bank account which I don't really use but lost the card (not debit or credit!) , I have put a block on the card but need to go into branch with my ID so they can order one. Going to start using it again to transfer monthly budget spends into there and store away my debit card. I have no idea what the account number is or anything will also ask if I can have some money bags.

Just waiting for payday now 7 sleeps.

Have a fun Friday
    Best wishes
    NMC xx
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 7th Jun 19, 10:49 AM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 18,095 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning NMC Hope you're not reading this and are upstairs in full cleaning mode

Blimey, the younger generation are far too advanced these days - I'm laughing at your little ones saying to use the credit card. I bet their children won't even be handling money the way it's going!

We lost my Dad far too early as well and I also think about all the things he's missed and how my DC's have really missed out on not knowing him

It's hard to stop birthdays etc. isn't it, but I like the idea of Secret Santa. We stop buying for nieces and nephews in the family when they're 18 although they do get something for their 21st. I'm always thankful me and my friends never went down the route of buying for each others children. Obviously if there was a party, which there generally was, that was different, but as they got older those fizzled out naturally.

Have a lovely time out with your friends and enjoy your 22 mile walk, you mad thing xx
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 7th Jun 19, 12:34 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Just popping in to say hello & happy Friday x
    01/06/19 Total Debt 13,636 11,400 16.40% PAID
    CC1 (0% to June 2020) 2,708/975 CC2 (0% to October 2020) 5,978/5,600 Family Loan 4,950/4,825
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 7th Jun 19, 3:37 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Hi both,

Thanks for stopping by.

Have tackled some of the jobs Tea could have done better I am going to start my ironing in a mo, must had a brew and chat with girls although it revolves around what they want for tea and complaints the fridge is nearly bare!

It is hard thinking of what could of been Tea isn't it, I am sad he is missing out on seeing them all grow up, unfortunately wish I could change it. We talk about him a lot and the girls know who he is from his picture. They ask about him a lot which is nice and we have a pictures in the house and at Nanny's.

I have always had children in my life my nephews are 21 and 10, nieces 20 and 17 and my friends children range from 21 to 2, I think with me not having the girls until mid-late 30's I automatically bought for my friends kids and looked after a lot of them, although some are taller than me know !! However, my girls are well and truly spoilt by everyone. My auntie still buys for me at 44 !! I am actually going to tell her to stop now :-)

I am weirdly looking forward to the walk on Sunday although this may change by tomorrow :-) It will be a test that's for sure.

So far so good - no spends was nearly tempted to get the girls a take away pizza luckily the words never left my mouth and we have one in the freezer. I do need to do some food shopping tomorrow it is looking sad in the fridge.

I have just been pricing up the girls uniforms for next tern, I need to get them before we go away in August as we get home and they go back to school 2 days later. I also need to order the cardigans from school for oldest will be "handing down" to youngest on most things. OH will buy the coats and shoes although I think we can get away for the start of term as just bought a new coat for oldest and again "handed down" to youngest who is very chuffed with her two new jackets. The oldest will also need a rucksack now going into Year 3 so will leave that to OH.

Right better get on and start the tea as I could sit on here all day. Ironing to and finish tidying up, just need to put our bedding back on then I intend to sit with a cherry beer with my tea (once I decide what to make !)

Have a lovely evening I suspect I will be back again to twitter on again.

best wishes
    NMC xxx
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 7th Jun 19, 8:08 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Just logging on with NSD 6 whilst catching up with a bit of Murder She Wrote and a brew.

I have managed to get most of the jobs done except the meal plan and shopping list.

Think will be an early night for me tired now although just another episode of Murder she Wrote and then that's me done.

Best wishes
    NMC xx
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 10th Jun 19, 5:57 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Hello Monday

Well the weekend went by in a flash had a spendy weekend but a good one.

Saturday went to WW (3.50 spend), A1d1 for weekly shop. Met my school mum friends for lunch and a couple of drinks (23.00) home for 6pm then my OH was out for his friends 40th.

Sunday I basically spent the day walking 22.2 miles it was a fab day the last mile was the hardest I couldn’t feel my feet !! Got home about 6.30pm had a bath and after reading to my youngest I went to bed!! So yesterday’s spend was 4.20 for drink and ice cream bought my friend one for driving it was lovely x

Today as I had a bit of a lie in bought my lunch 1.65 and treated myself to a Diet Coke and chocolate 1.68 oh and breakfast 1.40 and I enjoyed every bit. However I am on it for tomorrow and Wednesday and will have a NSD xx

Nearly home the rain needs to go away !!

Best wishes
    NMC xx
    Last edited by nomorecredit; 10-06-2019 at 9:48 PM.
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
    • seahorsey
    • By seahorsey 11th Jun 19, 5:07 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    seahorsey
    Morning NMC!
    Wow amazing achievement on the walk - you definitely earnt the Diet Coke and choccie!

Just been reading through your diary and I totally get you on the whole birthday’s thing - I’m exactly the same. Have you ever tried whistlefish.co.uk for cards? They do gorgeous cards 10 for 8 and postage is free over 20. I stock up each year and also order a few in my DSs age so I’ve got some for the numerous birthday parties he gets invited to. It has saved me a small fortune over the years as in the shops it’s so difficult to get a nice card for under 2.
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 11th Jun 19, 8:49 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Thank you Seahorsey, lovely of you to pop in. Thank you no I haven't tried them good idea to stock up I usually get the 10 for 1 at card warehouse and have them in stock for the kids parties but for my family and friends I like to get special ones so will give them a try.

xxx
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 11th Jun 19, 9:33 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Evening Tuesday,

Failed on the NSD, smallish spend of 1 I was absolutely starving and had eaten my lunch and fruit so late this afternoon I succumbed to a bavarian slice got a free coffee from downloaded a well known bakery app to happy with that. I am constantly hungry at the moment don't know whats up with me.

Lunch to work though so happy to have 4/11 and also spend the evening counting up the copper and silver tubs and bagged them up. 57.67 - long way to go to meet the target so must focus.

I have a basic bank account with B'clays used to use it to transfer my monthly spends but lost the card, reordered today so want to start using it again. I set it up when I did a CAP money course which gave me the idea to send my spends to one account, I do like the cash envelopes just don't like it all hanging around the house you can only use the card at an ATM which I like.

In receipt of my wage slip yesterday so budget all done. I have received the refund from the pension which was automatically taken so a bit more than normal. The budget looks like this:

Bills - 470.00
    Birthdays - 90.00
    Weekend Away - 120.00
    Charity - 5.00
    Dental debt - 25.00
    Fathers Day gift - 30.00
    Food (3 shops in month) - 250.00
    Dog groomers - 30.00
    Girls Savings - 10.00
    Hair - 60.00
    Holiday Clothes, shoes, toiletries (girls and me) - 320.00
    School Uniform - 150.00
    N3xt - 90.00
    Phone - 9.00
    Spa Savings - 30.00
    Spends - 120.00
    Travel - 46.00

Outgoings 1875.00
    Income 1882.00
    Remaining 7.00

I plan to chip away at n3xt over the this pay period and throw any spare monies, change to this and/or savings pot.

Think that is it for now.

Best wishes
    NMC
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 12th Jun 19, 7:48 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Morning Wednesday

Just popping by on route to work again armed with my lunch and snacks and an empty purse so no temptation!

Looking forward to payday Friday, will try and organise what we are taking fr the weekend tonight and then sort the washing and ironing. Working from home tomorrow hoping my new bank card arrives then me and the girls can go deposit the change into the bank before Friday.

Have a fun Wednesday
    Best wishes
    NMC xx
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 12th Jun 19, 11:14 AM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 18,095 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning NMC The budget looks good considering there are a lot of what I would class as extras on there this month like Father's Day and holiday clothes. Hopefully you might be able to shave something off what you've allocated to help with the Next card but even if you can't, that's one heck of a list and it's all covered so that's brilliant.

Have a lovely day. xx
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 12th Jun 19, 6:13 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Hi Tea

Thank you and yes you are right I just want to get rid of pesky next and then start chipping away at the credit card (dental) I really want to come in under budget for once and not have 4 left in my account 2 days before payday it’s my aim! I have wanted to post my budget every month but kept holding off I am glad I did now x appreciate your comments xx

Hope you had a lovely day the weather is just rubbish

Best wishes
    NMC xx
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 12th Jun 19, 8:25 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Evening

Final update

NSD woo hoo and lunch to work

Checked bank account and had noticed 3.99 taken for kindle kids from A ! Cancelled subscription and refund to come back.

Off to bed now
    Best wishes
    NMC x
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
    • poppytattoo
    • By poppytattoo 13th Jun 19, 9:57 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    poppytattoo
    Hi nomorecredit,

Just been having a flick through of your diary after you left a lovely comment on mine and just wanted to say I'm jealous of how good you seem to be at budgeting - I think I need to get better at drilling down into the nitty gritty of things (like money for birthday cards) as opposed to just going "right I have 75 with which to get everything I need for the month"

Also well done on the huge walk! You must have slept well that night after all that fresh air and exercise. x
    Debt-free wannabe since January 2018.
    Car repayments: 12986.46/15895.40, Credit card:4496.32/5000, Dental fees:972/ 1558, HSBC dc loan:7662.76 /11767.81, HSBC overdraft:5000/5000
    Total debt: was 39220.58, now 31,414.53

Make 5 a day in May challenge: 44/155
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 13th Jun 19, 1:50 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Hi nomorecredit,

Just been having a flick through of your diary after you left a lovely comment on mine and just wanted to say I'm jealous of how good you seem to be at budgeting - I think I need to get better at drilling down into the nitty gritty of things (like money for birthday cards) as opposed to just going "right I have 75 with which to get everything I need for the month"

Also well done on the huge walk! You must have slept well that night after all that fresh air and exercise. x
    Originally posted by poppytattoo
    Hi Poppytattoo

Thanks for stopping by x

Ha I did sleep very well and surprising felt ok the next day which I wasn't expecting so was chuffed my fitness levels maybe increasing.

Thank you I am really good at budgeting and planning every spend its sticking to the budget I struggle with, I am a seasoned spender and continue to work on it ! Sometimes not very well I really want to change my mindset into saving I have no excuse either, just lots of lovely things planned this year.

I love a spreadsheet and have my "spending plan" which I update regularly sometimes daily and track my budget against by bank account. It also has my birthday and Christmas lists and budget per person and when the birthday is and what pay it lands in phew ! I am trying to save the same every month for birthdays and Christmas but it doesn't always end like that. Household bills with amount and DD date and plan travel (I get the train). I also track breakfast/afterclub and holiday clubs the girls go to and what the costs are and what I pay every month.

Have a lovely Thursday, going to stop by with you soon, better go pick up the girls

Best wishes
    NMC xx
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 13th Jun 19, 1:54 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Afternoon Thursday,

Just finished work - looks like it going to be a NSD. Going to pick up the girls soon and then get home to pack for our weekend trip.

Payday tomorrow woo hoo only 1 more sleep.

Activated credit card online account so can now make extra payments (hopefully!!!!) and track my balance. I owed less than I though so updated my signature (only 3 odd less but it all helps)

We are going shopping on Saturday to Cardiff so I need to sort what the girls have and what I need to buy for our holidays.

Really need to go get the girls now....

Best wishes
    NMC xx
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 13th Jun 19, 7:29 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Another NSD - thanks goodness so that a total of 8 better than I thought but something to improve on for the month ahead.

Nearly packed for the weekend, some ironing to do in the morning once washing dried and I like to hoover around before I leave and will put a couple of washes on too.

We are going to call at the supermarket on route and pick up some snacks and lunch, can't bear to part with my money at the services they are just so expensive. I also need to pick my friend up some flowers to take with us and some treats for the kids. Oh and gin, will see what I have in my cupboard first and take what I have.

Have a nice evening
    Best wishes
    NMC x
    House Savings - 6.83
    Emergency Fund - 25.19
    Christmas Savings - 0

October - NSD - 5/12
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,458Users online

Martin's Twitter