Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 4th Jan 19, 1:59 PM
    • 137Posts
    • 303Thanks
    nomorecredit
    No more credit.... no more debt
    • 4th Jan 19, 1:59 PM
    No more credit.... no more debt 4th Jan 19 at 1:59 PM
    Hi

Well its only taken me 11 years to finally start my own diary and hopefully begin to pop in on other diaries which I have been following for years There are so many inspirational people on here its such a wonderful community, I read diaries every day without fail I just haven't had the courage to post and I am not sure why!

I live with my OH and my two little ladies aged 7 and 5. I am fortunate enough to work part time (3.5 days a week) and have a wonderful family and group of friends so very lucky in life.

I have been in debt constantly since the age of 18 it was relentless but all my fault - constant overspending and not taking responsibility for my money. I have never in all the years of working (since 16) got to the end of the month with money in my account and I am determined that this will change.

I turn 44 in 10 days and its time for me to grow up. I have been so fortunate that my partner was in a position to help me clear my credit card debt and this is no longer the heavy burden that I carried around 24/7 and the cause of constant anxiety. I never want to feel like this again. Another reason for starting this diary. My mentality towards money has to change.

However, I am not out of the woods yet, it is the first Christmas in years which I have not used a credit card to get through Christmas or buy anything on credit what so ever but I do have two existing debts and owe my mum 550 and N$xt 80.

I have 96.79 in my account until payday (15th of each month), there is a DD to come out and also to pay for travel so that leaves me with 56.30 left with 6 in my purse. Therefore I thought this would be an opportunity for me to have a fresh start and begin to track every spend, savings etc to keep me on the straight and narrow and be accountable.

I have requested that my credit card account is closed and aim to pay my mum and next off by 15th February 2019.

My weakness is mindless spending such a bad habit and this needs to stop, one of my goals for 2019 is to get to the end of the month with some money left, track all spends, stick to my monthly budget and save money for holiday, school uniforms, emergency fund and Christmas 2019. Oh and lose a stone in weight !

I love shopping any shopping, buying for others too especially my little ladies but they have more than they need. I am a lot more careful nowadays but it is still not good enough. I have habits of taking lunch to work then buying it !!! Again bad habits which need to stop.

I have started the 2019 1p savings challenge (17.18 in there already - I found a tin of coppers and 5p's so a great start) and 2 NSD's in January so far aim to do at least 15. I also want to take my lunch to work for at least 14 days (I work one day from home so not counted these)

My proposed budget for 2019 has been set up and I have decided to use the cash envelope system - cash works better for me as I lose track when I use my debit card and find it too easy to spend (will be leaving this at home from now on)

I am fortunate enough to live in an area which is close to a train station and lots of amenities together with the girls school being in walking distance I no longer have a car and walk everywhere whatever the weather and don't need a car = no expenses. I use my partners car at the weekend if needed.

So here I go, no time like the present to get started.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Best wishes to you all for 2019
    NMC x
Page 7
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 13th Mar 19, 7:57 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    How is it nearly Thursday,

Its been such a busy week at work then with parents evening and one think and another haven't had chance to update but had quite a not so bad week

Saturday I spend another 4.30 in the afternoon, went for a walk to the park with my youngest then to morribobs for some dog food, youngest asked if she could have her tea in the cafe so 4.30 spent, I resisted and shared her diet coke. Sooooooo Saturday spends ended up....

2.00 coffee
    2.50 WW magazine
    1.00 Crackers (breakfast)
    4.30 tea for youngest
    9.80 Spend

Sunday - NSD

Monday I bought some things for school fair and a nanny mothers day card :

Chocolates x 2 - 2
    Mothers Day Nanny Card - 1
    Magnetic Picture pegs - 1

Total 4

Tuesday - NSD
    Wednesday - NSD

Can also declare that I took lunch to work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

NSD - 7/16 ("Spending of Entertainment Budget")
    Lunch to Work - 6/10

Entertainment Budget - 22.30/24.00

Saving Pots
    Easter Savings - 0/125
    Holiday Savings - 0/100
    Emergency Fund - 0/50
    Mobile phone repair - 3.15/50

Debt
    Clear Next - 0/103.48
    Mum - 0/200

Healthy Lifestyle
    Steps
    Saturday - 16,225
    Sunday - 9,560
    Monday - 14,245
    Tuesday - 16,115

No chocolate, sweets or biscuits 10/31
    1.5ltrs water per day - 13/31

2 sleeps till payday. I plan to refresh my budget for the month ahead and need to consider mothers day and Easter school holidays.

Booked Sunday lunch at a local pub for mothers day, I also need to send a sponsor to a friend who is doing the three peaks before me, so will sort this on payday.

Bank account stands at a rather miserable - 3.79!

That's it another busy day at work tomorrow and suspect I will have to do some over the weekend too to catch up.

Best wishes
    NMC x
    Saving Pots - 1p Savings Challenge - 37.91/667.95 Emergency Fund - 25.19/500, 0/1700 Holiday

15/04/2019 - 14/05/2019 - Lunch to work 1/9
    NSD - 0/15 - No Chocolate/Sweets/Biscuits - 1/20
    Debt - Mum 100 / MBNA - 575
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 14th Mar 19, 7:46 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 9,834 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning NMC Your NSD's and lunch to work day numbers are looking good.

School fair memories are springing to mind - ours used to have to take one thing in for 3 or 4 weeks. Chocolate one week, drink the next etc. Is that how yours work or can you just donate and forget about it - my preference by far

I don't get 'paid' for another 2 weeks. I've got my spends money and I'm on track but I really want to boost my pots again, it's becoming addictive

Hope you have a good day at work and it's not too busy. xx
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 15th Mar 19, 5:04 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Hi Tea

Thank you I have tried very hard this week think being busy has its blessings as I decided to go for a walk at lunch instead of the shopping centre on Tuesday and Wednesday so it worked out better. Going to try keep up the momentum.

No it was just a one off thank goodness I struggle to remember everything !! ha

Its nice to see the savings build up as opposed to the credit card !! I am looking forward to getting everything started.

Have a lovely weekend
    NMC x
    Saving Pots - 1p Savings Challenge - 37.91/667.95 Emergency Fund - 25.19/500, 0/1700 Holiday

• nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 15th Mar 19, 5:43 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Hello Friday,

Payday today not had chance to do much with it as yet, paid next in full and I have sent 150 to my mum.

Thursday was a NSD so thats 8 in total I have withdrawn my weekly spends and have spends to day so need to tally that all up but before it goes out of my mind

Thursday
    Steps - 16,100
    No chocolate, biscuit or sweets
    exceeded my 1.5ltr water

Friday Spends
    6 - Circuit class
    5 - Pilates
    14 - Lunch
    9.57 - Morrisons

Tomorrow the girls are going out for the afternoon with rainbows/brownies, I need to get a birthday gift for a party the youngest are going to Sunday and some walking boots. Already got the tea in for tomorrow night the girls are having tea at their activity afternoon as we don't collect them until 7pm.

I also need to order my oldest some new school cardigans and buy youngest some polo shirts.

Having left overs from yesterday for tea tonight tracked all my food this week and hope for some success at the scales tomorrow at WW.

My hoover is playing up too its driving me mad, even my held hand one is not picking up, I hoover at least twice a day with having the dog and kids I am no Mrs Hinch but cannot stand bits on the carpet. Fingers crossed it can get fixed as I really want to avoid having to buy one from OH Vry account. I am considering starting a savings pot for a new hoover, mine is corded and bulky and quite tricky when doing the steps too. Something to consider.

I have also decided that the 1p savings challenge I want to be for new bedding and sprucing our bedroom up with some pictures and soft furnishings. The same with the bathrooms too.

Anyhoo have a lovely Friday
    Best wishes
    NMC x

• nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 23rd Mar 19, 2:11 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Hello Saturday

Can't believe its just over a week since I last came on my diary - its been such a busy week quite fraught some days and a week of just chasing my tail round and around.

I have had no more NSD's or lunch to work and a spendy few days which has given me a headache and neck ache to say the least. Organisation is so critical to making the budget work and my sanity, I have been overwhelmed with things this week that I have let this slip so much. Today is a new day and I want to start it again on the right foot.

I have just balanced my budget as its been so bad with it this week not tracking I have the receipts just now even looked at them. I have payed off next that is cleared and send 40 for savings for Easter. 25.19 in emergency funds now, I am all out of sorts with my savings posts need to recount my 1p savings but now have 8 in my mobile phone repairs.

My friends daughter has seen her birthday present which I have ordered from my next account but myself and 2 friends are getting his as a joint present so I am going to send the money I have allocated over to my next just need to work out how much we all owe.

I am going on a walk tomorrow in training for the three peaks in June bought myself some new walking boots and socks together with blister plasters - early start so need to get ready this afternoon. The girls are having a sleepover at our friends need to pack their things and we are all going for tea and drinks but I am driving so all fresh for tomorrow.

Weekly spends remaining - 27.00

Going to pick up a bunch of flowers for my friend and a protein bar and some fruit for my walk tomorrow.

We need some fruit, vegetables and salad for the week ahead I did the most of my shop yesterday as I had the car but didn't want to buy the fresh produce until tomorrow.

Hoover seems to be fixed so fingers crossed it continues, my mum and OH spend last Sunday trying to sort it out.

My oldest starts football training tomorrow bless her and she is super excited too I hope she enjoys it.

I WILL have 3 lunch to works and 4 NSD's there are 6 potential NSDs up for grabs but I know I am at pilates and having a drink after the walk tomorrow so definitely won't be happening Sunday or Friday.

Anyway good to be back on and twittering away.

Happy Saturday
    NMC xx

• teafor2
    • By teafor2 24th Mar 19, 7:01 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 9,834 Thanks
    teafor2
    Evening NMC. Life is just extra busy at times so no wonder we lose track of what we're doing and let things slip. The main thing is you've not thrown your hands up in the air and thought forget it. You're back on point and from what you've posted are raring to go.

Excellent new that you've paid off the N3XT card and that your pots are mounting up nicely.

Hope you enjoyed your walk and didn't need the blister plasters and that DD had fun at her football club.

Have a great week. Look forward to catching up with your next post. xx
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 4th Apr 19, 8:07 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Thank for stopping by Tea much appreciated, its taken me nearly two weeks to get back on as things have slipped even more.

I neglected to write that I have had a hole in my tooth for some time now and just after my last post it started getting painful to the point of me feeling quite ill - its all my own fault I haven't been to the dentist since the birth of my youngest 6 years ago which resulted in my being taken off the register.

So fast forward I am now registered with a local dentist but as a private patient, however the pain got so bad I didn't care, I am now facing a 524 bill for the pleasure of a root canal and I have no money to pay for it, which has hit home the importance of having savings for an emergency. I am in a healthcare plan so will have 120 to contribute and have already paid 60 but I have to work out how I am going to fund the rest and feel sick that this may be through a 0% credit card and back into debt but need to see what I can do. My phone is to the point of breaking in half too but its an object and will get it sorted my tooth comes first.

I have felt dreadful for the last couple of weeks and its impacted on me so I have not focused on anything but getting through the day, the lack of healthy eating and exercise has been shocking and having an impact.

I am off work today and determined that it will be a productive one and get my act together, refocus my budget and goals for next few months. I was spoilt rotten on Mothers Day and feel so lucky. I get like this every now and again.

Pet insurance has gone up 9 per month we have never claimed either so I am going to see if I can get this cheaper.

Happy Thursday
    Best wishes
    NMC x

• nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 12th Apr 19, 7:33 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Evening Friday,

I really do not know where the time goes everything has been all off kilt here but I have spent the last couple of days re planning and refocusing.

My sister has been visiting so it was lovely to see her and my nephew, my girls have had a great week with holiday club and spending time with their cousin. They are back to school on Monday but a short week then away next weekend for Easter.

I am ashamed to say that I have had to accumulate some debt to cover my expensive dental treatment, I was accepted for a money transfer 0% for 28 months but have put a plan in place to pay it off asap. I have also decided to get my phone fixed as well as its basically getting more damaged day by day.

I have a peculiar month spend wise and went off track I am mad with myself but ok with it now whats done is done. I have lost track of any NSD's and lunch to work it wasn't on my radar and got in a pickle waiting to hear if I had a job or not n the new restructure at work , however, today I have had confirmation that I do :-) and with a bit of a pay rise :-) so extremely grateful and know that everyone isn't as fortunate and mindful of that.

Pay day Monday and a fresh start. A spending day today we went out for the afternoon with my sister, her in laws, my mum and the dog but it was lovely, bought my mum a jigsaw and some lovely chocolate from a little shop which make their own its stunning.

Plans for the next month: 15/04/2019 - 14/05/2019

1 - Cash envelopes
    2 - Track spending
    3 - Track food with WW app
    4 - Lunch to work - 9 days
    5 - NSD - 15 days
    6 - No chocolate, sweets, biscuites - 20 days
    7 - Stick to budget - NO EXCUSES

Have a fun filled weekend
    Best wishes
    NMC x

• teafor2
    • By teafor2 12th Apr 19, 7:50 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 9,834 Thanks
    teafor2
    Hi NMC - firstly OUCH to the tooth and the cost of the treatment. I pay into a private plan which covers me and DS until he's 16 but still have to pay for any treatment. The monthly fee covers 2 annual check ups and x-rays but I pay mainly so we have a dentist in case we need one urgently.

Excellent news about your job - I'm so glad you've been kept on, it must be such a relief for you. Now you know that for definitely you may be in a better mindset financially.

The Easter hols are really odd this year, lots of schools are doing things very differently. Sounds like your girls have had a fantastic week. xx
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 12th Apr 19, 7:59 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Hi Tea - I am still mad with myself especially when the dentist informed me if I had gone sooner I would have been fine with a filling ! BIG lesson learnt.

Thank you I am so relieved I felt a bit stalled to be honest and out of sorts with it all, it worried me more than I though it would even though my outlook was "what will be will be". I spend when I am worried and lose all focus crazy isn't it, threat of redundancy and I nonsense spend ! Little things not big purchases (except the root canal!!!!)

They loved it, we are all tired today even the dog !!! Ha

Take care
    NMC xxx

• nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 16th Apr 19, 3:39 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Hello Tuesday

Afternoon off work as needed to collect my girls from school so just updating on here.

Lovely walk on Saturday with the girls, pooch and friends topped off with drinks and food afterwards - good times.

Sunday I climbed 2 of the 3 Yorkshire peaks, 17 miles in total and a NSD but I suppose very limited temptation when climbing and walking in the Yorkshire Dales with nothing around you but the most beautiful scenery I have every seen - it takes your breath away. Never done anything like that felt proud of myself all good training for the 3 peaks in June (26 miles !!!)

I am just in the process of reflecting on last months expenditure I hang my head in shame and am thinking of writing it down here but I just self sabotaged I have a good month then ruin it, what is wrong with me. Cash envelopes worked for me and this is the way forward now I am too tappy happy with the debit card its a no brainer and should just leave at home, I can do this - I need to frame and no excuses. Think Sunday made be realise when I was hanging on for dear life at the top of Whernside in the wind that taking one step at a time you get there. It was bl**dy hard, I was at the back of the group but I did it and need to apply the same determination with my spending and saving.

Payday was yesterday, the girls went back to school and my oldest put on her school shoes and they were too tight so trip to next to get the next size up! So spends tracking:-

Monday, 15th April 2019
    Train ticket - 3.90
    School Shoes - 20.80 (shoes were 33 but I had a refund card)
    M&S - 15.50

Lunch to work - FAIL

Tuesday, 16th April 2019
    Train Ticket - 4.70
    Scone and chocolate bar - 1.90

Lunch to work - SUCCESS

We are out for a leaving lunch tomorrow and meeting some friends in the evening but have a 2 4 1 offer not very well planned - didn't realise this until Friday !

15/04/2019 - 14/05/2019 plans which involve spending

Easter Eggs - 20
    Lunch and tea out - 30
    Easter weekend away - 200
    Nephews 21st birthday present, card and party - 50
    Friends 40th birthday bash - 50
    The girls have 3 birthday parties between them need to get presents - 30
    My dentist bill (a new hoover!!) - 524 :-(
    Friends x 2 birthdays - presents and cards - 55
    Friends daughters birthday - presents and card - 15
    Nephew's 10th birthday - presents and cards - 30
    Pay for pooch grooming - 30
    Eyebrow and lip wax - 14
    Mobile phone screen fixing - 50 potentially 80

Round Up

Daily steps
    Friday - 20,055
    Saturday - 21,742
    Sunday - 41,492 :-)
    Monday - 14,629

1 - Cash envelopes - Need to sort this evening
    2 - Track spending - done need to be more strict
    3 - Track food with WW app - FAIL to start Tuesday, 23rd
    4 - Lunch to work - 9 days - 1/9
    5 - NSD - 15 days - 0/15
    6 - No chocolate, sweets, biscuits - 20 days - 1/20
    7 - Stick to budget - NO EXCUSES - 1/30 days

Think that is enough for now

Best wishes
    NMC xx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

966Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin