Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nardge
    • By Nardge 3rd Jan 19, 4:59 PM
    • 134Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Nardge
    Dell Inspiron 15 3000
    • 3rd Jan 19, 4:59 PM
    Dell Inspiron 15 3000 3rd Jan 19 at 4:59 PM
    Greetings Forumites,

This is perhaps a long throw of the dice, but is worth a try...

I'm aiming to buy the above laptop, with the below specifics (see below).

It seems to have received countless poor reviews regarding poor performance, and being too slow...
    However, people usually neither specify which exact sub-model nor the specifications of the model in question.
    It might be that it's too slow to deliver games-console standards, or that it takes forever to open a page...

If anyone has bought the same, may I ask of your experiences with it? Is it notable for being a snail?

Processor
    7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
    Operating Systems
    Windows 10 Home 64bit English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
    Display
    15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
    Memoryi
    8GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
    Hard Drive
    1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    Video Card
    Intel® HD graphics 620 with shared graphics memory

Thanking you in advance,

With Kind Regards
Page 3
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 2nd Feb 19, 10:33 AM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    "If your friend needs any help with a clean install of Windows 7 or 10, let him log in here and we'll guide him through."

Many thanks for your kind and generous offer!

Essentially, I don't currently have that Dell 1555 with me to open the back and look at the memory stick,
    hence why I settled for pasting in what I could actually state about it...

I'm assuming it will contain a 1 x 2GB Memory Stick. This leads to my next question...

Do the current memory stick, and the one to be added (to make it 2 x 2GB) have to be 'compatible' in order for it to work, or must they be from the same manufacturer?
    For instance, I can combine Sandisk and Crucial Memory sticks, or would that create a problem for the laptop?

Lastly, that will be a very useful video. I'm thinking if I can find similar videos detailing how to replace the SSDs in both the Dell 1555 and HP 650 (in addition to the Dell 1555 extra Memory Stick), I should do it myself, if careful?

With Kind Regards
    Originally posted by Nardge

You should create installation media before you replace the drives, as there may be steps to be taken, dependent on which operating system you choose to install.

Have you ordered caddies for the old hard drives?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-Durable-HDD-Enclosure-Hard-Drive-External-Case-Box-for-2-5-SATA-New-TR/153119402717

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-2-5-SATA-External-HDD-HD-Hard-Drive-Disk-Enclosure-Cover-Case-Black-TR/142858749120
    • Nardge
    • By Nardge 2nd Feb 19, 10:42 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Nardge
    Don't assume. Get the Service Tag from the underside and enter it here; https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1

But for the third time, just buy this; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Memory-Ram-Laptop-DDR2-PC2-6400-6400S-800-MHz-200-Pin-SODIMM-Non-ECC-1-8V-2x-Lot/222631061314

The Dell Studio 1555 will take you a few minutes to do by yourself. Just don't lose the screws.

The HP ProBook 650 similarly.

The HP ProBook allows for three different types of storage. Mechanical 2.5" HDD, 2.5" SSD and M.2 SSD.
    What kind of drive is currently installed? What is the capacity?

Originally posted by EveryWhere
    I had already had the good sense to check through use of the Service Tag on the Dell Website a while ago several times. Unfortunately they no longer cite the 'System Configuration' for such laptops anymore... Hence why I contacted Dell, and all they could tell me was what was previously pasted.

As discussed, the laptop most likely already has a 1 x 2GB in it, and I have already bought another memory stick. I also have a collection of salvaged memory sticks of varied GBs from other laptops, hence why I asked the question of whether they might be combined without conflict... There is little point buying a fresh pair of memory sticks if these themselves can be used.

The SSDs for both laptops have been bought too.

The specifics of the HP 650 are:

HP ProBook 650 G1 (2015)

Processor - Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz. Current Processor Speed - 2500 MHz.
    Operating Systems - Windows 7 Professional.
    Memory - 4GB RAM (4096 MB RAM). Maximum Memory Speed 1600 MHz. Memory Type DDR3.
    Hard Drive / Solid State Drive - 500GB Memory (465.76 GB). Bytes per Sector 512.

Many thanks for the video links!

With Kind Regards
    Last edited by Nardge; 03-02-2019 at 5:16 AM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 2nd Feb 19, 11:01 AM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    In addition, make sure the BIOS of the Studio 1555 is updated to the latest.

Are they sticking with Windows 7 or moving to Windows 10?
    • Nardge
    • By Nardge 2nd Feb 19, 11:13 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Nardge
    In addition, make sure the BIOS of the Studio 1555 is updated to the latest.

Are they sticking with Windows 7 or moving to Windows 10?

Can memory sticks from different manufacturers be combined then?

The HP 650 has already been upgraded to Windows 10.
    (I believe Microsoft are phasing out and removing all Windows 7 'support' and similar anyhow)

Currently, the Dell 1555 can only handle Windows 7. My hope is that an SSD and 4GB will change that!

With Kind Regards
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 2nd Feb 19, 11:56 AM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Can memory sticks from different manufacturers be combined then?

The HP 650 has already been upgraded to Windows 10.
    (I believe Microsoft are phasing out and removing all Windows 7 'support' and similar anyhow)

Currently, the Dell 1555 can only handle Windows 7. My hope is that an SSD and 4GB will change that!

With Kind Regards
    Try it.

Upgrading was the problem with the Studio 1555. A clean install will solve that issue. Nothing to do with RAM or storage.

But you will be stuck with Windows 10 Home unless you take steps to prevent it.
    • Nardge
    • By Nardge 13th Apr 19, 2:53 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Nardge
    Greetings all,

So today I have manually replaced my HP ProBook 650 G1's HDD too SSD

This appears to have been successful. The old HDD is now in a Disc Caddy

Whilst I am able to switch the laptop on, I have come unstuck...

I'd welcome someone guiding me through things, rather than I messing about through trial and error...

Thanking you in advance,
    With Kind Regards
    Last edited by Nardge; 16-04-2019 at 8:12 PM.
    • Nardge
    • By Nardge 13th Apr 19, 3:45 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Nardge
    I am unstuck with this:

"Boot Device not found

Please install an operating system on your hard disc

Hard Disc - (340)

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com\go\techcenter\startup"

I have understood that I need to install an operating system

However, I have neither Windows 7, 8, or 10 installation disc
    Furthermore, as things stand, the laptop cannot communicate with the internet

Last edited by Nardge; 13-04-2019 at 3:53 PM.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 13th Apr 19, 4:40 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Without reading all the previous posts, what do you want to install? Windows10 from scratch? Read from "Create Windows 10 Installation Media". Then the section starting "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive..." You'll need a spare 8GB USB stick... Good luck!
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 13-04-2019 at 4:42 PM.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Nardge
    • By Nardge 13th Apr 19, 5:00 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Nardge
    Without reading all the previous posts, what do you want to install? Windows10 from scratch? Read from "Create Windows 10 Installation Media". Then the section starting "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive..." You'll need a spare 8GB USB stick... Good luck!
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Yes, you've correctly identified the crux of the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to help...

I had tried something similar to what you've described once already, but my old HP laptop seemed unwilling/unable to read/communicate with the USB for the purpose if installing the Windows 10.

As a result I thought I'd perhaps downloaded either the 'wrong' or an abridged variant from the above link to the USB, so I've just repeated a fresh download, only this time with 'Run and Save' rather than just 'Save'. Hopefully this will have been the difficulty, fingers crossed though as I'm about to try the new download with the old laptop again!

With Kind Regards
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 13th Apr 19, 5:50 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I am unstuck with this:

"Boot Device not found

Please install an operating system on your hard disc

Hard Disc - (340)

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com\go\techcenter\startup"

However, I have neither Windows 7, 8, or 10 installation disc
    Furthermore, as things stand, the laptop cannot communicate with the internet

Do you remember this
    You should create installation media before you replace the drives, as there may be steps to be taken, dependent on which operating system you choose to install.
    from post #41?

Anyway in order to upgrade for free to Windows 10 Pro, we needed to have the original Windows 7 Pro installation to hand. But you have already changed the drive.

So the choice now is to buy a cheap licence via eBay or temporarily install Windows 7 again in so that you can upgrade to 10 Pro for free.

I'm off island hopping...
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 14th Apr 19, 4:06 AM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    ....and do check your private messages...
    • Nardge
    • By Nardge 16th Apr 19, 5:06 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Nardge
    Do you remember this from post #41?

Anyway in order to upgrade for free to Windows 10 Pro, we needed to have the original Windows 7 Pro installation to hand. But you have already changed the drive.

So the choice now is to buy a cheap licence via eBay or temporarily install Windows 7 again in so that you can upgrade to 10 Pro for free.

I'm off island hopping...
    Good afternoon,

Yes I was aware of what you'd said, but hadn't mentally correctly mapped out the steps to be taken.

With your help, we have a way forward now.

FAO Everyone

The SSD has made a CONSIDERABLE and STELLAR improvement to a laptop which under different circumstances I might well have had the ignorance to take for recycling, and what a waste of money that would have been! My HP 650 now works as though it were brand new! I plan to give all the above same treatment to a Dell Studio 1555, and I hope to be suitably positioned to repost here to inform you of it's success!

What a pleasant and supportive group of people you MSE 'Techies' are!

With Kind Regards
    Last edited by Nardge; 16-04-2019 at 5:09 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,053Posts Today

7,852Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin