Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    • 17,111Posts
    • 283,821Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread!
    • 2nd Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread! 2nd Jan 19 at 7:11 PM
    Welcome to the new ups and downs of growing your own!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Club - Mind your peas and cues" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "The allotment shed"

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-03-2019 at 8:14 AM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
Page 46
    • baggins11
    • By baggins11 10th Jun 19, 8:59 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    baggins11
    I also have a damaged tomato plant on my hands. I have far too many plants in my greenhouse and crouching down to remove some suckers I inadvertently gave the one behind me the chelsea chop with my bum.

It wouldn't have been such an issue as I have too many anyway but sadly this particular plant was my daughters only tomato plant and she thinks I have sabotaged her efforts.

As she is a teen and not a toddler I couldn't do an esio trot and claim hers was a different plant. There is a small sucker where I gave it the chop so I hope the sucker will do amazing things.

We will keep watering and see what happens (hopefully I will be forgiven in time..)
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 11th Jun 19, 6:15 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    dancing_star

Due to my rubbish labelling I'm trying to work out which seedlings are Pak choi and which are psb. I think I'll have to wait until they are bigger cos they look exactly the same.
    Originally posted by Pablosmummy

Yup, done that too. And kale/chard. I now have some rather random looking rows in my beds. Oh well!

I too have successfully grown tomatos from pinched out shoots. Not because I knocked it off with my bum but because it was quite a big side shoot, and I am such an old hippy I didn't have the heart to chuck it in the compost. I had far too many tomatoes already so heaven knows where I'll squeeze this one!
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 11th Jun 19, 10:32 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 11,695 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    There was a break in the weather this afternoon and I managed to weed three raised beds. The rain has done a tremendous job, the soil was warm and very friable. The weeds came out very very easily.

I took a chance and sowed some parsnips, I know it's late but my last two sowing have failed miserably so this is a last chance.

Hopefully, tomorrow if the weather is kind I'll weed the onion bed if not I'll spend some time in the polytunnel. I read somewhere that once you have a polytunnel you grow more and more in it at the expense of the outside beds - it's so true. I'm already harvesting mangetout, dwarf beans, salad leaves, kohl rabi, and new potatoes and I didn't really start this year until March as I spent some of February in hosp having my knee replaced.

Does anyone know of a weed killer that deals with mares tail?
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Jun 19, 6:59 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Wash out here for last couple of days, so I'm having a rest. Managed a bit of top dressing/hole filling a couple of days ago before rains started, so I'm itching to get out and finish that. Looks like one of the bare root apple trees I bought from Poundland and planted just days before The Beast From The East is fruiting, which is very very surprising. I'm assuming the June Drop will have them though. Grass at the bottom of the garden is now so long it's affecting my ability to get through it - need some kind of ski attachment for the strimmer (hmm thinks...)

Major work for next week: threading a 50m hose down the right hand side of the garden to a standpipe - gravity fed from the massive water butt that is never empty. I'm sort of copying the system that I've run down the left hand side, but only goes as far as the greenhouses

Nematodes should be due in a couple of days hopefully and it's the ideal weather to apply them
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 12th Jun 19, 7:38 AM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 29,363 Thanks
    Suffolk lass

Does anyone know of a weed killer that deals with mares tail?
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    SBK Stump killer is a concentrated form of glyphosate. You can use a paintbrush to topically apply it. Nightmare. Most people say you only control it - eradication is impossible. It is another one with 3 ft roots.
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 8,766.30 after Sep
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target 3k - 57.28% spent after Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 108.23% 43,292.24 including Sep - reducing now to avoid fees
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q2 30,085 or 50.14% paid
    My DFD is here
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 12th Jun 19, 7:40 AM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 29,363 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    unrecordings, I may have missed it - what are you using nematodes to control?

Our little apple trees are varying from none to so heavily laden we will need to pick half if they don't fall this month - they are all on dwarfing rootstocks
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 108.23% 43,292.24 including Sep - reducing now to avoid fees
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q2 30,085 or 50.14% paid
    My DFD is here
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Jun 19, 10:15 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    unrecordings
    unrecordings, I may have missed it - what are you using nematodes to control?
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Slugs - nematodes prey on baby slugs/eggs so disrupt their reproductive cycle rather than killing the adult slugs (a preventative measure rather than a reactive one)

I can guarantee there are some U-Boat sized ones out there right now
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 12th Jun 19, 9:39 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    The black, white and pink currants are doing nicely. Medlars looking good. Zero quinces. Cherries abundant, plums swelling. Carrots and onions doing well. Poor germination from root parsley. White beetroot okay, but mediocre germination. Leeks totally destroyed, 3 square metres, netted, pegged and weighted down and yet over the past two months something got in and turned the surface into a Somme renenactment. Three times now over the last week I have found a juvenile bird inside, and I had to free it. I have no idea how they get through the netting, obviously under the edges, but it’s pegged and weighted. These young birds have the intelligence of a house brick. But they didn’t do the original damage. The one massive disadvantage of no dig gardening is that the layer of compost is attwctive to anything that feeds on worms, and they will turn it over to find the worms.

Squashes are doing badly, the organic compost seems not to their liking, in fact my chillis hate it too.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 13th Jun 19, 8:39 AM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 11,695 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    The black, white and pink currants are doing nicely. Medlars looking good.
    Originally posted by BananaRepublic
    That reminds me to net the blackcurrants. Medlars -I had a good crop last year but bottled out eating them when they had rotted - anyone know what they are supposed to taste like or better still another use for medlars.

Suffolk Lass. Thanks for the advice on marestail but I believe there is a killer for marestail/horsetail that doesn't rely on glyphosate. I'm trying to track it down as I'm hoping to use it on a couple of raised beds. I regret the day I bought some top soil about ten yrs ago to fill my then new raised vegetable beds.

Rained yesterday so spent a couple of hours undercover and managed to finish tidying up and moving various plants around.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 13th Jun 19, 10:54 AM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 29,363 Thanks
    Suffolk lass

Suffolk Lass. Thanks for the advice on marestail but I believe there is a killer for marestail/horsetail that doesn't rely on glyphosate. I'm trying to track it down as I'm hoping to use it on a couple of raised beds. I regret the day I bought some top soil about ten yrs ago to fill my then new raised vegetable beds.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Ammonium sulphamate? Roger Brook talks about it on his no-dig gardener blog here
    My DFD is here
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 13th Jun 19, 3:06 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 11,695 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Ammonium sulphamate? Roger Brook talks about it on his no-dig gardener blog here
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Many thanks Suffolk Lass I've just had a quick look at his blog but will spend more time looking tonight.
    • Pablosmummy
    • By Pablosmummy 13th Jun 19, 4:48 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    Pablosmummy
    It's been raining for days here, I'm so sick of getting soaked on the school runs, where's the summer gone?
    The garden is underwater so I'm looking at think from afar....I can't really tell if things are improving yet tbh and the only gardening I've done is sow some saved pansy seeds from last year with the aim of using them for autumn/winter pots.
    Fingers crossed the rain stops soon or my plants are just going to float away
    May Grocery Challenge -216/400
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 13th Jun 19, 5:02 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I like these morning & evening updates :-)

I managed a couple of hours this morning and timed it just right. Pinched out the tomatoes & peppers. Finally got up to date with repotting, sorted the plants that are going to neighbours and deadheaded/pruned the roses. Nematodes look to be delayed about 10 days, so fingers crossed there are hedgehogs out there (though with pushy badgers around I doubt it)
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 14th Jun 19, 8:29 AM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 29,363 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    We don't normally have too much trouble with slugs and snails and I confess to having gravel on the floor of the greenhouse to which I add a small amount of salt some years. Even so this year I have had to lift a window box of chilli plants up off the ground onto the potting benches and picked off a small collection (thrown in the hedge as we have lots of blackbirds and robins nesting) - amazed how many birds here with our cat combined to barracks (for both their safety). The hostas at the front are under-protected by gravel but they are starting to look as though this needs replenishing
    My DFD is here
    • Pennysmakepounds
    • By Pennysmakepounds 14th Jun 19, 9:27 AM
    • 295 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Pennysmakepounds
    This year has been the worst planting season ever.

Planted allsorts.

BUT I've had next to nothing grow thus far except 2 tomatoes and a handful of Courgette.

Very disappointed in myself .
    To be Young AGAIN!!!!...what a wonderfull thought!!!!!:rolleyes:
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 14th Jun 19, 10:08 AM
    • 10,390 Posts
    • 48,855 Thanks
    euronorris
    I'm very sick of the rain! It has been near constant for almost two weeks now. Prior to that, it was a very dry month, so it feels like it's making up for it! lol

Have only peeked into garden on Wednesday evening and everything seemed to be OK, and draining well. The peppers, and one of the tomato plants was not looking very good after it took a battering from the hail. Not sure if they will recover. The purple brussel sprout plant however, is thriving! haha

One of the courgette (or cucumber, I'm still not sure) plants looked like it was about to flower. So am looking forward to that!

Peas seem happy enough too
    • Pablosmummy
    • By Pablosmummy 14th Jun 19, 11:55 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    Pablosmummy
    Well. I don't even know where to begin, my goosberries are splitting and being ravaged by gooseberry sawfly, my tomatoes are starting to grow sideshoots but the whole plants are looking so sad and stick like due to lack of.leaves. The raspberries have mostly fallen off my beautiful dwarf raspberry plant due to the hail damage.
    The cucumbers and pumpkins haven't grown at all so I'm assuming they've just been too damaged to recover and
    My apple tree is bare due to hail damaged apples...
    I think I'm just going to give up on most things this year....do a bit of lettuce and just let the garden recover for a year.
    May Grocery Challenge -216/400
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th Jun 19, 2:03 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I wouldn't give up just yet - let nature recover. The sun/rain combo we're supposed to be getting over the next week or so will work wonders. It has been a bit cooler the past couple of weeks, so to me that would explain some of the slowing growth - once you're back into the mid/higher teens then I reckon you'll see a marked improvement
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 14th Jun 19, 10:11 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 11,695 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Lit the wood burner last night as it was so cold

Today's been a bit better, we didn't have any rain this morning so I managed to finish weeding the onions and fed the courgettes which were looking a little yellow.

I've decided to go to the local boot fair tomorrow and take a load of plants which I grew for a 'promised new raised bed' in the garden which to date has not happened. I've packed the car which now looks like Chelsea Flower Show (I wish) so I'm off early to get a good plot and hope it doesn't rain.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 15th Jun 19, 7:28 AM
    • 8,989 Posts
    • 32,373 Thanks
    Primrose
    I've had a couple of Blight warnings this week so am fearful for my still young tomato plants which are planted outdoors in a border and not in a greenhouse. Not sure whether I should spay them with some rather ancient Diothene sachet mixes I have left.

Incidentally if you're a potato or tomato grower you can sign up to receive emailed Blight warnings for your postal code area if you go to www.blightwatch.co.uk. and provide your email address. This facility was originally set up for commercial growers but has now been extended to members of the general public and it's FREE so worth doing if you care about your crops and want to be able to do something to protect them.

Having said that, the remedies for spraying to protect plants against Blight seem to be getting fewer and fewer as all the traditional ones seem to be withdrawing from the market due to EU regulations.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,249Posts Today

7,601Users online

Martin's Twitter