Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneybear
    • By Moneybear 1st Jan 19, 10:09 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 16Thanks
    Moneybear
    Living to be debt free in 2019!
    • 1st Jan 19, 10:09 PM
    Living to be debt free in 2019! 1st Jan 19 at 10:09 PM
    Firstly I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year!

I have been a follower of various diaries and DFW board for a few months now but have only just signed up today.

From a young age, my mum was out of work which meant I was single handedly running the household with rent, utilities, her debts, food etc. I would alway say yes and help her out when really I was relying on debt to help. Even when I explained I had no money, she would beg me and I couldn't say no. It wasn't until moving due to work when I realised I had wasted so much money and I gained my own independence. Money is still an incredibly sensitive subject for us. I am very angry at times for her actions impacting my teenage and 20s the way it has. This makes it a very sensitive subject for me so please be gentle!

When I left home 3 years ago, I left with 21k of debt and I was regularly going over my 1500 overdraft. I was paying the minimum payments which was only just covering my interest and I felt like I was in a dead end.

I now live in a house share and pay 450 per month which includes all bills. The rent here is only for a room but MUCH cheaper than what I was paying outside of London. I am also able to avoid the tube as I am on a bus route to work!

Since leaving home I have been able to reduce my debt to 8k. But most importantly for me, my overdraft is gone and I have been able to switch all remaining debt onto 0% deals which comes to an end in December 2020. This gave me much needed breathing space so I have been able to save up my emergency fund and a bit extra to earn interest on.

I also currently have 4k in savings. I am paying off 2,500 this month from a bond which matures in a few days. The rest of it is tied up in a bond which matures in July 2019. With this and my determination over the next few months, I should definitely be able to become DEBT FREE by the end of this year!

Unfortunately I haven't been taught good money management from family so I have relied on this forum heavily and I am incredibly thankful for it.

I would love for this diary to help me keep on track as well as welcoming any advice/support that can be given. Over the next few days I will be putting a SOA together and will update you all along my journey

Thank you
Page 2
    • Moneybear
    • By Moneybear 11th Jan 19, 8:28 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Moneybear
    Good evening all,

Chat with my manager was ok. Nothing too spectacular but reassurances that I am doing well. I have gone into the weekend caught up with my work so I guess I can leave happy.

I ended up forgetting my lunch today so I went to subway for breakfast and got one for lunch later on in the day.

I am going to spend the weekend relaxing, cleaning and meal planning for next week. I finish late Monday & Tuesday so preparation is going to be key!

Money saving wise - I have returned a few bits I brought online over christmas which have finally arrived. I've had my refunds come through today so they should show back on my cards soon.
    • Moneybear
    • By Moneybear 13th Jan 19, 8:49 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Moneybear
    Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

I've spent this weekend relaxing and spending time with family. I haven't done much in the way of money saving but I have only spent money on groceries. I went on another date yesterday too. We had a picnic in the park which was extremely cold but it was nice chatting and not having to worry about too much.

I have my final bit of overtime tomorrow so from there onwards I shouldn't feel so tired.

I have my lunch ready for tomorrow so I should be able to avoid eating out and popping into shops to pass time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,173Posts Today

8,926Users online

Martin's Twitter