Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Jan 19, 2:36 PM
    • 10,483Posts
    • 53,579Thanks
    Mooloo
    I will cut my coat according to my cloth. Mooloo 2019
    • 1st Jan 19, 2:36 PM
    I will cut my coat according to my cloth. Mooloo 2019 1st Jan 19 at 2:36 PM
    As I am a Seamstress, and this year is about my sorting out my life and changing my direction, finally loosing the family debts etc perhaps the title is the most apt I can come up with this year.
    Here is to 2019 and a frugal year to change my direction so that I can rebuild my dreams in the next year.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 32
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Apr 19, 3:05 PM
    • 10,483 Posts
    • 53,579 Thanks
    Mooloo
    So yesterday I drove to Albufeira, walked around the shops and beach, back to the car, drove to Vilamoura, parked and walked to Quarteira. Had a cool drink watching the fishing boats come in, and a plate of chips, before walking back to the marina. Saying hello to the places I know so well and driving back in time for dinner at 9pm where a cold beer went down well.
    My app on my phone says I did 8 miles!
    Remember 8 years ago I couldn't walk 200yards and needed a stick!
    Mind you today I haven't left the hotel. I ache all over!
    There are shinanegins going on at home, but I have managed to coordinate some moves myself from here.
    All is not impossible it just takes strategic thinking.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • hb2
    • By hb2 12th Apr 19, 2:14 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    hb2
    Mooloo, I hope that a good night's sleep puts paid to the aches and pains, you will have worn out your shoe leather by the time you get home!

I'm sorry to hear that things are 'eventful' at home, glad that you were able to do something to help, even at a distance.

We are going away for the weekend later today. I had hoped for a good night's sleep but OH is doing his warthog impersonations again
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Apr 19, 7:29 AM
    • 2,758 Posts
    • 25,739 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I hope you slept well Mooloo and the aches have eased . It's good you managed to get out and about in the sun. The walks will have done you good and as you say it's a big positive mobility wise.
    Make the most of today and safe home tonight .
    pollyx
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Apr 19, 8:21 AM
    • 10,483 Posts
    • 53,579 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I fly home at 8.55 this evening so still plenty of time to catch some more Sun. Not sure the places I saw were quite what Mum would want, more investigations when I return home.
    Several business ideas to follow once things settle at home. I believe that the court case starts today, so I am glad I am not there as I expect a slinging mud kind of day!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Apr 19, 1:22 PM
    • 10,483 Posts
    • 53,579 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Went for a very long walk along the beach front here in Alvor this morning.
    My bags are packed and behind reception as I have until 6ish tonight before I have to leave for the airport, although I may well drive via Quarteira first as that's where I feel the most affinity with the place.
    DS is in court now ( or should be), I am nervous for him, and those children. Biggest is helping him by babysitting so she has her hands full today.
    Dgd is messaging me saying she wants to come home early. Not all sunshine and roses at her Mums then.
    Sharing a room with a 3 year old can't be much fun.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Apr 19, 1:33 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,291 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all goes well at court.
    Safe home
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 12th Apr 19, 1:50 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    kelpie35
    I hope you have a safe journey home.

Hope all goes well at court today and the DGD is able to return to you soon.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Apr 19, 7:30 PM
    • 2,758 Posts
    • 25,739 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    You'll be at the airport now . I've just got home after a long day , I'm about to light my nightly candle and with be sending strength ,and positive vibes to you and yours .
    pollyx
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Apr 19, 9:14 AM
    • 10,483 Posts
    • 53,579 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I got home at 2am
    Woken by babies at 6.25
    DS has to do court on his own as his legal aid hasn't come through. He was bamboozled by her lawyers, but several of her planned dirty tricks backfired. But they have 50/50 care so DS has had to take them to her today. We will see what happens in time no doubt.
    DS has Residency though.
    So I need to organise my home now I am back, so we all can live here until DS has sorted his problems with finances etc.
    I would like to say more but better not now Freddie's commented. I am more aware now.

On the work side I will be going to work in about an hour. Will still do the childrens lessons.
    Then home to sort out the shopping and the washing.
    Tried to sort my content insurance but the system went down. Try again Monday.
    Luckily have 10 days yet.
    Back to normal then I suppose.

At least I'd babies are not here tonight I should get a decent sleep and tomorrow I can master what we need to do next.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Apr 19, 11:06 AM
    • 2,758 Posts
    • 25,739 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I think your son did really well to manage court without legal representation . Being granted residency must put your minds at rest.
    I know it's a tough thing to do for him but he felt the fear and did it anyway . Facing the tough stuff rather than hiding his head in the sand shows he's now stepping up and sorting things , it must be a relief for you as you aren't having to cope with getting him on board when important things need dealing with.

All the following may already have been dealt with but if not need doing.
    • Debt. Step Change or similar free agencies . A debt management plan sounds the best option for him as priority debts and others can be repaid via an affordable monthly payment .
    • If you receive either Council Tax reduction as a lone adult in the house and /or housing benefit you need to inform both CT and HB of a change of circumstances ( another adult living in the house)
    • Check the terms and conditions of your housing association rental agreement as you now have another adult and 2 little ones living with you until they can find another home.
    You may already have done the above so can ignore .
    I hope your son is continuing the HGV course . Getting that licence can be a real positive both for his confidence and securing a regular income and working hours .

I hope his benefit has now been sorted . I don't envy anyone battling with UC it sounds a nightmare .

Remember to try to pace yourself . Keep the memories of Portugal and your chilled out wanderings in mind .

Hope DGD is soon home and settled . I'm looking forward to hearing how your latest trip has helped you think about future plans for the business .
    polly x
    • hb2
    • By hb2 14th Apr 19, 3:06 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    hb2
    Welcome home Mooloo!

Well done to your son for dealing with the court case on his own., I know the result isn't exactly what you hoped but it is probably the best that could be expected under the circumstances.

I hope the benefits of the break last for a long time.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Apr 19, 3:07 PM
    • 10,483 Posts
    • 53,579 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I will talk to housing and the council tomorrow. It's on my agenda.
    My content insurance changes as well apparently!
    I have been pottering this morning. Moving washing etc. Blitzing the kitchen, tidying and cleaned the bathroom . Been food shopping, and even had time to watch an old recorded tv programme all in peace.
    DS has collected the kids but not coming home yet, meeting up with another family and going to the park etc.
    So I have had peace.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Apr 19, 7:35 PM
    • 2,758 Posts
    • 25,739 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Peace is good . Unless you have lessons or fittings on Saturday there is a long weekend coming with Good Friday and Easter Monday. A chance to do a bit of rearranging at home and also build in some fun and rest .Weather forecast is looking good for midweek onwards .

I'll be watching Victoria at 9pm and aiming for bed afterwards , we've had some sunny days but very cold nights so I'll go to bed with a book.
    pollyx
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Apr 19, 11:55 PM
    • 10,483 Posts
    • 53,579 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I will be working through as much as I can from Monday till the weekend. Depending on when Dgd is returning home as her Mum keeps Changing the times and dates.
    I am up late as DS and I had a good talk after he came home from work and I had been back to back catching up on Victoria on tv.
    Might regret the late night tomorrow though!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Apr 19, 6:43 AM
    • 10,483 Posts
    • 53,579 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I am awake. But haven't ventured down stairs yet. Tea in my room listening to the Children etc downstairs. But time to move as I have work to do.
    Lots to sort out today, back to work with a mission as so much work to catch up on.
    Time for my shower and to dig deep for my enthusiasm for the day then!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Apr 19, 5:02 PM
    • 10,483 Posts
    • 53,579 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Busy day.
    Happy to see more work still coming in.
    Sewing down on the shop floor while serving meant that I didn't actually sew very much but I did sell a good bit of ribbons threads etc etc.
    Interesting conversation with a principal for Special Needs school who I may do a Pop Up shop with to sell off my Habadashery etc in a shopping centre. More discussions obviously.
    One of my customers is on the council and recently with children services. She has given me her email address to raise my issues officially so that could be interesting.

DS went to his bank to try to stop her from spending his money on line, but didn't sound very hopeful when I spoke on the phone to him.
    He is out and about with the children this afternoon, so I am feeding myself tonight then. They are eating at their friends, DS seems to be seeing a lot of them now the gf is not in tow.
    I am going to try and relax as when they get in it will probably be pandemonium for a while.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Apr 19, 6:40 PM
    • 10,483 Posts
    • 53,579 Thanks
    Mooloo
    So the earth has been removed ready for my workshop in the garden.
    The solar panels system paid for and will be delivered to me in 48 hours.
    I will then need to buy the leisure battery's.
    But they can wait until the building is sorted.
    Things are coming on, so exciting.
    • hb2
    • By hb2 15th Apr 19, 6:56 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    hb2
    How lovely to see your plans starting to come together Mooloo, despite the recent upheaval

Can DS not move his own money into a different account so that the ex cannot access it (or is there an issue with this due to previous debt)?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 19, 7:06 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,291 Thanks
    beanielou
    How lovely to see your plans starting to come together Mooloo, despite the recent upheaval

Can DS not move his own money into a different account so that the ex cannot access it (or is there an issue with this due to previous debt)?
    Originally posted by hb2

Good idea.

Mooloo~~Glad that plans are coming along nicely
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Apr 19, 6:29 AM
    • 10,483 Posts
    • 53,579 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The sleepless hours in the middle of the night, and nightmares are back.
    I feel like I have been run over by a ten ton truck, not refreshed revitalised and ready for work.
    So tonight I am going to make sure I don't have tea after 5pm and have a coco or something before bed. Dig out my hypnosis or meditation things, and see if I can change my routine. It is obvious that I need some clarity in my life to reduce the ping pong in my mind between the hours of darkness etc.
    I am shattered and my intentions of going to work early with a spring in my step are further away then ever.
    I have just had my cuppa from the teas maker and now I will venture down into the affray of the family.
    I still want to go to work a bit earlier as I have curtains to do that must be done today.
    I can do this, I can.
    I didn't have nightmares when I was away!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,274Posts Today

6,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin