Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 1st Jan 19, 1:39 PM
    • 5,711Posts
    • 34,168Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Sort of debt-free but hope to be a super-scrimper in 2019
    • 1st Jan 19, 1:39 PM
    Sort of debt-free but hope to be a super-scrimper in 2019 1st Jan 19 at 1:39 PM
    Hello everyone. Wishing a happy, healthy and successful New Year to anyone who is reading this. I've often thought I might start a diary of my own but felt my life is so mundane that I'd be all on my own on it and talking to myself. Several people have advised me to start one, I hope not just because I've cluttered up theirs with my ramblings. If nothing else it will make me accountable even if only to myself once plans and aims are written down for all to see.

Quick-ish back-story. I'm now in my 70s and have been in debt off and on for my whole life. That despite having a good professional career. I've never been an 'image' type of person needing the latest this and that. The only designer things I ever owned came from charity shops. Somehow though I seemed to have acquired an unbelievable amount of stuff. When I say 'acquired' I meant 'bought'. I took no heed of budgets and just spent money on what I wanted. There was always the walletful of credit cards to use if my salary didn't stretch far enough. The credit card companies were only too happy to have me as a customer and kept raising my limits without prompting knowing I was frequently only repaying the minimum every month.

It all came to a head in 2012 when, retired but on my state pension and a good final salary employer pension, I was literally searching for coins down the back of the sofa to pay for cat food or a loaf of bread. Every credit card was maxed out and I was desperate. I've lived with my partner in unwedded bliss() since I was in my late 20s and his attitude to money is the total opposite of mine. He is tight with money, watches every penny and has never owed any money in his life apart from the small mortgage which we had. I was unable to tell him about my situation and that put additional stress on me. I know a problem shared is a problem halved but I felt I had no option but to carry the load myself. How was I going to get myself out of this self-imposed mess without him knowing? We have always kept separate bank accounts etc and split household expenses 50/50 with him paying some such as Council Tax and me paying for all food etc etc. . All my debts were in my name, we had no joint/associated accounts thank goodness.

In the new year of 2013 I contacted Stepchange with outstanding unsecured debts of £56804. They were wonderful and I can't thank them enough. After a few years of mighty struggle (and OH being totally unaware as I managed to keep him well fed throughout) I now have only £3427 debt remaining. When I said in my thread title that I'm 'sort of' debt free that's because I have savings put aside to cover the remaining debt balance. I'm now holding out for Full and Final settlement reductions considering the obscene amount of interest I've paid over the years prior to my DMP when it was frozen. So many people have had massive amounts written off and after repaying so much already I just want a small piece of the action too. I'm paying my 2 remaining creditors a token £1 a month now I'm self-managing my DMP in order to hasten the day. A wise person on another thread called my situation 'debt neutral'.

I'm now moving on to the next stage of my life and I've obviously left it rather late. For the first time ever I'm planning on becoming a saver. Apart from the money I've scraped together for the remains of my debt I've never had a savings account. I once started an ISA donkey's years ago but barely added anything to it and had to cash it all in to repay something very pressing. The thought of now being able to have real money that belongs to me and not my creditors is a heady one.

If anyone is still here after reading these ramblings I thank you. Please feel free to offer any advice you may have or just give me a much needed kick up the rear if you think I'm backsliding in my aims which I'll set out in the next post. I'd love your company along the way.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 01-01-2019 at 1:44 PM.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £3427..

Make £2019 in 2019 (#68) £167.66/£2019
Page 8
    • juliejim
    • By juliejim 12th Jan 19, 8:45 AM
    • 7,584 Posts
    • 151,645 Thanks
    juliejim
    Morning CBC

I'm late to the party as usual - happy not so new now diary!

Jue
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 12th Jan 19, 9:07 AM
    • 2,346 Posts
    • 23,784 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Ooh! I have got loads of office clothes in large sizes - across 5 sizes in fact. 3 stone weightless and a reluctance to get rid of "good" pieces. I wonder if size 8 shoes are in demand too...
    MFiT T4 #2 90.89% after Q11 against target of £60k balance - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #107
    Save £12k in 2019 - #68 target is £7k (Save £12k in 2018 saved 115.95% £13,914.45)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is £3k (2018 spent £2,684.95/£3,000 including stores 89.5%)
    My DFD is here
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 12th Jan 19, 3:39 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    Hi CBC, I have had to change my username...( I was Ploppy), my old password played up and site wouldn't let me re set it, so here I am again. I have even had to start a new diary with my new name...not a bad thing though.

Can't believe 3500 books , think my OH would have gone mad if I'd got that many....lol
    Selling books has become very hard these days. We used to always be able to sell them at the boot sales years ago, but not any more. Even kiddies books are hard to get rid of.
    Don't know if its possible to donate books to care homes or hospitals, or if H&S and all that these days wouldn't allow it....contamination on the books and all that. I admit I do take mine to CS, but they always seem to have too many.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £42,955 (25% paid)
    EF £315 Mortgage OP's this year £20
    Christmas 2019 £18...oops SPC #110
    There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Jan 19, 2:52 PM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 34,168 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Morning CBC

I'm late to the party as usual - happy not so new now diary!

Jue
    Originally posted by juliejim
    Thank you and welcome. I hope you'll drop in again soon

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Jan 19, 3:07 PM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 34,168 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hi CBC, I have had to change my username...( I was Ploppy), my old password played up and site wouldn't let me re set it, so here I am again. I have even had to start a new diary with my new name...not a bad thing though.

Can't believe 3500 books , think my OH would have gone mad if I'd got that many....lol
    Selling books has become very hard these days. We used to always be able to sell them at the boot sales years ago, but not any more. Even kiddies books are hard to get rid of.
    Don't know if its possible to donate books to care homes or hospitals, or if H&S and all that these days wouldn't allow it....contamination on the books and all that. I admit I do take mine to CS, but they always seem to have too many.
    Originally posted by Lifeisforliving19
    Sorry you had all the hassle of re-registering. Thanks for dropping by in your new persona. Have you started your new diary yet? I'll look out for it as soon as I get a minute

OH didn't stress too much about the book mountain as I have a shed of my own. He grumbled a bit about helping me to move the books in but 'out of sight out of mind' is fine by him. Having a shed of my own (and it's a whopper) is a mixed blessing though. Gives me carte blanche to hoard stuff

I've taken lots to charity shops, nice books not unsaleable rubbish, and they refused them. I don't ever take masses at once either as I know storage can be a problem especially for the very small charity shop premises in our local small town.

I'm not sure about donating to care homes or hospitals. Must make enquiries as some of the books I could let them have look almost new. Thanks for the idea

There's a big table in my nearest Tesco which is always piled up with donated books. They are for a local dog charity and there's a collection box fastened to the side of the table. I never go to Tesco but OH buys his petrol there as he has to pass by it a lot and went inside the store and spotted the table. He's taken lots of my books there, no one from the store asks questions or vets them. You just plonk them on the table and people buy them and put a donation of whatever they feel like into the tin. OH thinks it's used more like a library though as he's seen people dump a few books on the table, pick out a few already on there and walk out without paying anything for them. He also saw a really well-dressed woman just walk by and help herself to a free book. If enough people abuse the system and the charity makes nothing Tesco may get rid of the table. It's been a good place for me to offload some books (nice ones not rubbish) via OH every couple of weeks

• mark88man
    • By mark88man 13th Jan 19, 3:27 PM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    mark88man
    Its so hard emotionally, and actually, to get rid of books. I have a big section of my garage and I need to be rid but can't ever quite get round to it!!

You are doing well to get rid of any at all
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - better than I was worse than I should be
    End 18: CC:8K@0% - Car Loan:11K@2.8% - Mort:133K@2.1% = £152K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Jan 19, 3:49 PM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 34,168 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Right, a quick update on my grocery/buy no food challenge. Never one to do anything by halves (a personality fault rather than an asset) I've challenged myself to do it for the whole of January rather than the one/two weeks that sensible people usually opt for.

We grow most of our own veg and I bulk-cook meals so have plenty of food frozen. The problem is that most of it is in a chest freezer which is pretty iced-up. I never seem to get round to emptying it enough to transfer what's left into the small freezer above my fridge so I can defrost before the next crop of veg is ready to freeze. There's also the fact that I'm only 5ft 1'' and hate leaning over the freezer to mop up all the melted ice etc. I practically fall in and it takes ages. It doesn't take a lot to make me leave it for another day. Or month. An eating up challenge seemed like a good idea and I might actually get the freezer ice-free reasonably soon. There still looks a heck of a lot in there though, and tomorrow will be the end of week 2. Good job we love eating veg.

I can definitely manage to get through to the end of the month on the veg, meat, fish, pre-cooked HM meals etc. that's already in there, plus what's in tins. What I'll have to buy though are a few essentials (needs not just wants) so I won't be able to complete the challenge 100%. On the plus side I have £35 in Morrisons vouchers so what I have to buy won't be spending 'real' money after all

I went to Morrisons this morning and bought what I needed, namely salt (I can't live without it), rapeseed oil, bread and milk. The milk has a long use-by date and should see us through until the end of the month. The bread was reduced so I bought 3 loaves and have frozen 2. I know the plan is to make freezer-space but these will be gone by the end of the challenge. We have toast for breakfast some days and if we don't use bread then and have cereal or porridge instead I make sandwiches for lunch. We drained the last of the 4 pint milk bottle this morning for our tea. OH was a bit grumpy that he couldn't have any cereal but brightened up when I made him tomatoes on toast instead. Used up the last bit of bread and the tomatoes left in the fridge since my last shop on New Year's Eve.

The result was I spent £5.02 at Morrisons and by using a voucher it only really cost me 2p. I wanted to make it a round £5 but the items I needed couldn't be made to fit.

I've so far learned some valuable lessons on this challenge. The most glaring one is to label and date everything I freeze. It's not so much a new lesson learned, rather a stern reminder. I always kid myself I'll remember what it is but with cooked meals like casseroles etc they all tend to look the same once the container they're in gets iced over and boxes and bags get rearranged. On Friday I took out what I thought was a pork and paprika casserole and thawed it out overnight. When I came to reheat it I discovered it was a chunky vegetable soup. OH loves soup but for a main meal he likes his meat. I added half a can of butter beans (which for some strange reason I have in massive quantities) a couple of cooked and sliced up Cumberland sausages (for OH), did broccoli and runner beans, a jacket potato each and it turned out fine in the end. I've lots of other containers of casseroles and soups in there and it would be nice to know what's what! It's not the first time I've been caught out like this, you'd think I'd have learned my lesson over the years.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 13-01-2019 at 3:52 PM.

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Jan 19, 3:56 PM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 34,168 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Its so hard emotionally, and actually, to get rid of books. I have a big section of my garage and I need to be rid but can't ever quite get round to it!!

You are doing well to get rid of any at all
    Originally posted by mark88man
    Glad it's not just me then. And I agree that there's an emotional element to getting rid of books.

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jan 19, 4:11 PM
    • 30,560 Posts
    • 178,406 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I love your post about the freezer and using it up - its sounding more and more sensible - frozen foods need rotation too, after all and they also need labelling
    And your note about Morrisons reminds me, I saw an article this week somewhere that said M is the cheapest of all online grocers - Asda are only marginally more expensive, but M is definitely best! Yay!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Jan 19, 4:32 PM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 34,168 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I love your post about the freezer and using it up - its sounding more and more sensible - frozen foods need rotation too, after all and they also need labelling
    And your note about Morrisons reminds me, I saw an article this week somewhere that said M is the cheapest of all online grocers - Asda are only marginally more expensive, but M is definitely best! Yay!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I love Morrisons. It's a good job as there's only them, a Co-op and a new Aldi in reasonable distance for me, although I'm now a big fan of Morrisons home delivery too. My Mum was a Morrisons shopper, her branch was huge. I always drove her to do her shopping whenever I visited her so she could stock up and I also bought things for myself to bring home. I always wished we had a Morrisons near here and then planning permission was finally granted by our stick-in-the-mud council for a new supermarket in the town. It was rumoured that it was to be a Tesco (boo) but when it turned out to be Morrisons I was overjoyed.

I know what you mean about rotating frozen foods but I'm very bad at doing it. I once read of tins of food abandoned at one of the poles on an ill-feted expedition many decades ago still being edible. I know canning preserves food, although maybe not that long, but I concluded that it must have frozen too, given its location. I always obey 'use by' dates on fresh foods but allow plenty of leeway when things are frozen. We've never had upset tums so far, touch wood, and I've done this for as long as I've owned a freezer. I think it's more of a quality issue after a long period of being frozen rather than a definite danger to health but maybe I'm just kidding myself.

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jan 19, 5:29 PM
    • 30,560 Posts
    • 178,406 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You're not kidding yourself, because you've never been ill - there you go
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jan 19, 5:43 PM
    • 60,094 Posts
    • 252,333 Thanks
    beanielou
    Must investigate if Morrisons deliver here.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • BalanceBy50
    • By BalanceBy50 13th Jan 19, 10:41 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    BalanceBy50
    Hi CBC, Hope you've had a lovely weekend?

Forgive me if this is a nosy, intrusive question but I was wondering why you wanted to be such a super scrimper and save save save? I am sure I have read that you are in your 70's and have no children so surely now is about enjoying yourself whilst you can? I can understand having a small saving pot but after the hard few years you've just hard surely there is now money to treat and enjoy yourself?

I hope you don't mind me saying this but having been to 3 funerals relatively recently if people in there 40's & 50's surely you don't have to be that tough on yourself.

Still loving your writing xx
    • tantaraza
    • By tantaraza 14th Jan 19, 12:10 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    tantaraza
    Hi carbootcrazy! Iíve popped over here from HHODís diary as I really enjoyed reading your ramblings

With regard to your books (3500 ) have you thought about selling them to We Buy Books or a similar online book-buying company? Some of them will only make pennies but given the amount you paid for them, Iím sure youíd make some sort of profit. At the very least, youíll get them decluttered?

Your concerns about running the cupboard down instead of spending unnecessarily on food but getting snowed in etc by the weather are very understandable, and I hope I can share a suggestion? Iím moving into a new house next month and Iím planning to stock up with an absolutely enormous supermarket delivery of cupboard food. My plan is to keep a running list of whatís there and the quantities, and replace whatever I use the next time I go shopping, so I always have X amount of Y in the cupboards at all times in case of bad weather or no money to buy food. Obviously this does require the cash to stock up in the first place but it may be a solution? Feel free to ignore me though

Also at the ďpork and paprika curryĒ! What are the odds that next time you go looking in the freezer for chunky vegetable soup, thatís what you end up with?
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Jan 19, 1:44 AM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 34,168 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hi CBC, Hope you've had a lovely weekend?

Forgive me if this is a nosy, intrusive question but I was wondering why you wanted to be such a super scrimper and save save save? I am sure I have read that you are in your 70's and have no children so surely now is about enjoying yourself whilst you can? I can understand having a small saving pot but after the hard few years you've just hard surely there is now money to treat and enjoy yourself?

I hope you don't mind me saying this but having been to 3 funerals relatively recently if people in there 40's & 50's surely you don't have to be that tough on yourself.

Still loving your writing xx
    Originally posted by BalanceBy50
    Thank you, BalanceBy50. My weekend was productive if not totally lovely. Pesky eBay listings

It certainly isn't a nosy or intrusive question at all and if I write about my plans and doings on here I expect to be challenged by people who are kind enough to visit. It actually helps me to find reasons for some of these things, even if they might seem nonsensical to anyone else. So please, to you and everyone else, keep asking about anything you want and I'll try my best to answer honestly

I really do understand what you mean about funerals of relatively young people and I'm now only too aware of the lottery that is life. My own brother died from cancer in February last year after being diagnosed only 2 months previously. He was almost 3 years younger than me and had been in good health so the shock of that event really brought home to me, possibly for the first time, the fickleness of life. I've been blessed with excellent health all my life (and I really do count it as a huge blessing) but round about the time my brother died I became really ill myself. This was a total 'first' for me and the symptoms really knocked me for six. I suddenly felt very vulnerable. I know I'm getting on a bit but was the one among my contemporaries who was still capable of doing anything I wanted to do, physically at least,if not financially. Fortunately my condition has improved massively and with monitoring and medication I'm pretty much back to my 'old' self

The main reason I want to concentrate on saving at the moment is mainly car-related. I live in a very rural area, no bus routes or public transport. A return taxi, should one ever be needed, to the nearest small town. dentist, doctors etc cost over £25 and that's if one can be found. I haven't tested this for myself but was told by someone who had to have one recently and is still recovering from the shock! OH has a car for which I'm a named-driver on his insurance policy but he is out and about a lot and usually in a totally different direction from the one I want to go. I've always had a car of my own and not to continue with this would definitely curtail my feeling of independence. I know car ownership is a money pit but being a driver is a big part of who I am.

My current car is 17 years old! I always become ridiculously attached to my cars and keep them longer than is financially sensible. I didn't have any choice this past 6 years when I was drowning in debt and trying to pay it off but I used to keep them for years even when I could afford to swap. That means that when they do finally become unreliable and more expensive to keep going than they're worth they're only worth scrap value and I have to start all over again from scratch. I never buy brand new, never have even when I could easily have afforded to. I need something sturdy and reliable though.

My current car has been a fantastic 'buy', and I'm amazed I still have it because when I bought it I planned it should be a temporary stopgap when my last car finally died. I needed something in a hurry. I didn't even like it particularly, it was just available, low-mileage and at a bargain price. Here I am, 14 years on still with it. It's only let me down once and that was totally my own fault for taking my eye off the ball as far as servicing went and trying to skimp because of lack of money. Otherwise, it's sailed through every MOT with barely even an advisory and apart from having to replace the usual wear-and-tear parts like exhaust, battery and tyres it's been incredibly cost-effective. It still looks good too (if you like the retro look and colour, which fortunately I do) and the bodywork is excellent for its age. Certainly not a rust bucket. I'm realistic enough to know it won't go on for many more years though, engine-wise if nothing else, so need the funds in place asap to buy a replacement as soon as one is needed. I don't plan to go mad but will need a few thousands.

By throwing every possible pound at my debts (and being already retired when I had my lightbulb moment and knew I had to start a DMP) I was not able to save anything at all. A DMP means access to credit is out of the question (not that I would want credit ever again) so the only way I can fund a 'new to me' car is by spending money I actually have. Sounds obvious but it's a whole new way of thinking for someone who lived for decades on 'plastic'. Incidentally, to go back to your mention of my age, I was hell-bent on repaying my debts in the shortest possible time largely because of it. I made things miserable for myself which, had I been younger, I definitely wouldn't have done. I could have taken a more scenic route.

Another reason for my saving mission is that I know of several people who have died unexpectedly and left their financial affairs in an unholy mess for someone else to sort out. I've made no secret of the fact that I managed to get through this whole debt nightmare without OH being aware of my problem. I'm not proud of the fact that I needed to do this completely on my own, it probably indicates something lacking in me that I didn't feel able to confide in someone I've been with for almost 50 years. The thought of my dying leaving debts behind has been a major spur to crack on with getting them paid off. The next stage now is to have some savings, apart from the car fund, to leave behind. It's not as if OH will need my money, he needs a general anaesthetic before he ever spends any of his. He's been a saver from childhood and apart from the mortgage which was paid off by the 1980s he's never owed a penny to anyone in his whole life. We're like chalk and cheese in so many ways and it constantly amazes me that we've been together all these years

OH wrote his will years ago as common-law partners have no legal automatic right to anyone's estate. He's leaving everything to me apart from a few small charitable bequests. He keeps going on and on about how it's important for me to make a will of my own. This has caused me to panic as, having no assets, I've been very concerned about whether the person drawing up the will would need to know that I had debts rather than assets. I'm not worried about being judged by them but a will, as a legal document has to accurately reflect the situation and can't be vague. I really want to have a will drawn up but not until I'm debt-free. It may sound nonsensical but it's a major driving force in my saving plans. I know I should try to find out more about the whole will 'thing' and it's very near the top of my 'to do' list for this year.

I've got carried away and have been rambling again. Apologies.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 14-01-2019 at 1:55 AM.

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Jan 19, 2:14 AM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 34,168 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hi carbootcrazy! I’ve popped over here from HHOD’s diary as I really enjoyed reading your ramblings

With regard to your books (3500 ) have you thought about selling them to We Buy Books or a similar online book-buying company? Some of them will only make pennies but given the amount you paid for them, I’m sure you’d make some sort of profit. At the very least, you’ll get them decluttered?

Your concerns about running the cupboard down instead of spending unnecessarily on food but getting snowed in etc by the weather are very understandable, and I hope I can share a suggestion? I’m moving into a new house next month and I’m planning to stock up with an absolutely enormous supermarket delivery of cupboard food. My plan is to keep a running list of what’s there and the quantities, and replace whatever I use the next time I go shopping, so I always have X amount of Y in the cupboards at all times in case of bad weather or no money to buy food. Obviously this does require the cash to stock up in the first place but it may be a solution? Feel free to ignore me though

Also at the “pork and paprika curry”! What are the odds that next time you go looking in the freezer for chunky vegetable soup, that’s what you end up with?
    Originally posted by tantaraza
    Thank you for the suggestions. You're up late too tonight or maybe you're a night owl anyway. I'm just the opposite and am usually up by 6 but I've been sorting out some paperwork and lost all track of time. Then I came onto MSE for a quick catch-up and have just had a shock when I looked at the clock. Hardly worth going to bed now

I have sold quite a lot of books to We Buy Books, Ziffit etc and I agree it's a good way to offload books in bulk. I'm not worried about only making pennies per book as it would still be a small profit on what I paid. I just want them all gone, they've been weighing me down physically and mentally for far too long. Sadly, these companies are pretty selective and most of the titles I input the barcodes for are not acceptable by the website. I keep trying though whenever I drag out yet another boxfull from the shed.

Maintaining a stock of tinned and dried goods is definitely a good idea. I hope you're more successful with your running list of what you have than I am. I start with such good intentions but soon get out of the habit of keeping the list up to date. I love lists as a rule, I make lists for everything, but updating them, crucially my food cupboard and freezer ones, seems beyond me.

As for the casserole in the freezer, there are definitely some in there. Several in fact so the odds of finding one sometime soon must be pretty good. I've fished out a gammon joint to thaw out overnight,. No mistaking what that one is
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 14-01-2019 at 2:20 AM.

• tantaraza
    • By tantaraza 14th Jan 19, 6:11 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    tantaraza
    Morning! I canít seem to quote posts for some reason

That is annoying about We Buy Books and Ziffit! Hopefully their policies change and they decide to accept those books of yours ó or, now that I think about it, if itís affecting you that much, could the books be recycled?

To be completely honest, my ability to keep a list up to date is abysmal, but Iím determined to turn over a new leaf :

I hope you had a good nightís sleep after staying up so late ó 2:14am!! (Says the hypocrite who hasnít gone to bed yet )
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 14th Jan 19, 7:50 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    Morning CBC. In answer to you question, yes I do have a new diary, its called Lets get this show on the road. But for some reason it wouldn't let me post a link to it. Its still in its early stages, but hope it will get more interesting soon.
    Really enjoying reading your posts. I agree about labelling things in the freezer...I am like that....lol
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £42,955 (25% paid)
    EF £315 Mortgage OP's this year £20
    Christmas 2019 £18...oops SPC #110
    There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Jan 19, 10:52 AM
    • 5,711 Posts
    • 34,168 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    That is annoying about We Buy Books and Ziffit! Hopefully their policies change and they decide to accept those books of yours — or, now that I think about it, if it’s affecting you that much, could the books be recycled?
    Originally posted by tantaraza
    The problem with WBB and the other bulk-buyers is that they need to resell the books they buy in. They don't want to be lumbered with masses of the same title or books that were printed in vast quantities, were big sellers and just about everyone has already read. The website just says something like 'sorry, we are not able to accept this item' when lots of my barcodes are inputted. Should that be 'input'? I never know. I can understand their position, they are businesses after all and need to turn a profit.

When you say 'recycled' do you mean take to the tip? There's a huge skip at our local one for unwanted books and other printed material. I asked one of the workers what they do with them all and he said they go for pulping or burning for energy. I've spotted some lovely books which have been tossed into that skip but regardless of condition they are just destroyed. Unless mine are really tatty and undesirable I can't bring myself to just dispose of them that way. What I still have stored isn't getting me down as much as once upon a time when I was despairing of ever disposing of it.

There used to be those collection bins at a couple of car parks in our nearest town where books could be 'posted' but they've disappeared now. That was a solution for a while and at least they went to charities directly rather than via a charity shop.

One of the charity shops in our nearest 'big' town is very keen to receive donations of children's books, regardless of condition, as they have a deal where whatever they can't sell in the shop they send off to deprived areas in other English-speaking parts of the world where children have no access to books. They can store any amount but sadly I had very few children's books to give them. They don't do the same with adult books. OH visits that town occasionally and takes boxes of adult books for me to the better variety of charity shops than those in my local town. Even though the shops are bigger and presumably can store more books pending putting them out for sale they are not willing to accept many books per donation. A lot of the books I'm sending look almost as good as new but they still say 'no more' because they get so many books donated and just don't sell most of them.

Who would have thought that lovely things like books would cause so much grief?

• elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 14th Jan 19, 12:04 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 2,645 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    Unless mine are really tatty and undesirable I can't bring myself to just dispose of them that way. What I still have stored isn't getting me down as much as once upon a time when I was despairing of ever disposing of it.

OH visits that town occasionally and takes boxes of adult books for me to the better variety of charity shops than those in my local town.

Who would have thought that lovely things like books would cause so much grief?
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    I have the remains of my father's library, which consists of all the books a well-read and educated man would want in the 1930's - so not much for today's readers !! Haven't heard of Ziffit, so could try that for some of the 'coffee-table' books other people bought my parents.

I think 'adult' books are a whole different category

Yes, books are lovely in themselves, and I keep thinking they are sacrosanct but they really aren't, I have even recently (horror!) written a note in a book - you got detention for that at school !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

913Posts Today

7,462Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin