Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 19, 11:10 AM
    • 28,227Posts
    • 60,158Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm's Thread 2019
    • 1st Jan 19, 11:10 AM
    The Bookworm's Thread 2019 1st Jan 19 at 11:10 AM
    Happy New Year all friends and fellow lovers of literature, and welcome to a brand new shiny thread for 2019! It's the fourth year of sharing our reading delights, and also the duds that life is just too short for (hopefully to a lesser extent!)

Linky to previous threads here.

Happy reading in 2019!

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Page 2
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 4th Jan 19, 12:05 PM
    • 8,469 Posts
    • 49,997 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    I've noticed a few mentions of Lucinda Riley.

I'm also a fan of the 'Sister' series. I like locations of the different stories, and also that each book advances the story arc of all the sisters.

The next one I want to read is the Pearl Sister. I tend to wait until the books are the Kindle daily deal at 99p, but if it's not on offer by May, when I go on holiday, I think I'll buy it at full price, as I don't want to wait much longer.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • chrissie57
    • By chrissie57 5th Jan 19, 11:06 AM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 119,525 Thanks
    chrissie57

Three stories by Georges Simenon. Only the first concerns Maigret and is excellent, as is the second which is set in a police control room as a killer is pursued round Paris by a child. The third is a self-indulgent, tedious tale of an ageing prostitute.

All three are set on Christmas Eve/Day and are also quite interesting in their portrayal of Parisian life almost 70 years ago
    "If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced (James Baldwin)
    • WoolySarah
    • By WoolySarah 5th Jan 19, 1:04 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    WoolySarah
    Ooh count me in too please. I have a huge stack of books that I'm determined to get through and then re-home.

That being said though, I am loving audiobooks at the moment. I've listened to three in the past 7 days just as I have been going through the housework.
    CC: 3663.75 - Jan 19

Save 12K in 2019 #135 245.86/8,000.00
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Jan 19, 2:33 AM
    • 28,227 Posts
    • 60,158 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 2:

6.5/10. Having heard great things about this book, I was actually disappointed with it. It took me a while to read and I didn't like the first part (where she describes her f@ckless father) at all, shame on him for his parenting. However I've read memoirs detailing much worse traumas, which have been much better written so I don't get the rave accolades. I do think it's remarkable how the author got from no education at all to the best, though.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • KathCW
    • By KathCW 9th Jan 19, 7:51 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    KathCW
    I have an overflowing 'to read' bookcase in the bedroom, and another in the box-room. (I sell books so have many more book cases and boxes full of those books.)

Currently I don't seem to find much time to read - an hour in the morning when I wake up, and as long as I can stay awake for when I go to bed (usually only about hour!).

I love crime fiction, modern and historical. I tend to gather up a series and then read them one after the other, as I have such a poor memory, and forget things if they are spaced out.

I have just read the David Raker series by Tim Weaver - excellent, and highly recommended to anyone who doesn't mind a bit/lot of gore.

I don't have a Kindle - I became a book-seller due to a love of books, so Kindles don't really do it for me!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Jan 19, 12:24 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 17,993 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm 3/4 through the Clever Guts diet book.

I also finished off a book I started last year - The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray.
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • Merlin's Beard
    • By Merlin's Beard 9th Jan 19, 9:07 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 2,226 Thanks
    Merlin's Beard
    Aiming for 52 books this year, which I doubt I'll achieve, but I'm hoping it will encourage me to actually try and read a bit most days if not every day.

Started and finished Adam Kay's "This is Going to Hurt" over Christmas, which was both hilarious and touching. I know some people recommended it on this thread last year - good call, folks. Between the foreground of the horrific bits of his job and the subtle background of his relationship just falling apart from years of neglect I have even less idea why anyone would want that job, but I'm grateful that they do.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Jan 19, 8:55 AM
    • 25,819 Posts
    • 68,299 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Eventually finished City of Light, by Lauren Belfer.

It was a great idea, but needed some editing, as it was too long with rambling.

Thankfully I have the latest Camilla Lackberg - The Girl in the Woods - as a kindle daily deal. Her usual gripping tale.

Btw: I really to not understand the superiority about real books v kindle. Enjoying using one does not preclude the other. This was one of our discussions at book group 2 last night.

My 93 year old friend woukd have lost her main pleasure in life if it wasn't for her kindle and the ability to choose large print for any book she wants.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Jan 19, 9:24 AM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 17,993 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I finished the Clever Guts book and didn't get much out of it to be honest. I will donate that to a charity shop next week.

I just deleted a few books from my kindle but I still have 51 books on there!
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 10th Jan 19, 11:07 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    I am also trying to get through the books I already have on my bookshelf and Kindle. Currently reading The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. Really enjoying it! I also want to stay off my phone more and read instead this year. I've logged out of Facebook and only check once a day now for notifications. So far it is working!
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 10th Jan 19, 9:18 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 16,565 Thanks
    greentiger
    Finished "Eleanor Oliphant..." It was a slow burner to start, but there came a point where I was hooked and couldn't put it down.

I'm basing my book choices as far as possible on the PopSugar 2019 reading challenge, so next up is "a book that makes you nostalgic". For me, this is the children's book "The Angel of Nitshill Road" by Anne Fine (from the library). Until I was 5, I lived in the Nitshill area of Glasgow, and have a lot of memories, so it seemed appropriate. When I was teaching, I read several Anne Fine books to my classes - and enjoyed them all.

Happy reading!
    Stashbusting 16
    Reading Challenge 2/26
    Film Challenge 8/52
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 10th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 2,331 Posts
    • 14,024 Thanks
    BookWorm
    "Eleanor Oliphant..." It was a slow burner to start, but there came a point where I was hooked and couldn't put it down.

Originally posted by greentiger
    That was exactly how I felt about it too
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Jan 19, 10:18 PM
    • 28,227 Posts
    • 60,158 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    A treat for Lee Child fans
    This month's BBC World Book Club.

• Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 11th Jan 19, 4:01 PM
    • 8,469 Posts
    • 49,997 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    I've just finished reading 'A Shilling For Candles' by Josephine Tey.

It was written in 1937. I like books written in that period of time as it gives a good insight into what day to day life was like at the time. Although, some of the opinions expressed by the author are unacceptable now, and made me wince.

Apart from that, it was a good story and I would read more by this author
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 12th Jan 19, 7:39 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 16,565 Thanks
    greentiger
    Onto book 3, "The Woman Who Saved the Children", a biography of Eglantyne Jebb, founder of Save the Children, by Clare Mulley.

I had never heard of Eglantyne Jebb (a wonderful name) until I heard a piece on the radio reviewing this book.
    Stashbusting 16
    Reading Challenge 2/26
    Film Challenge 8/52
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jan 19, 11:10 PM
    • 28,227 Posts
    • 60,158 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 3:

7/10. I thought I'd sail through this book, as it is just 229 pages long - but how wrong I was! I read it far more slowly than I planned, after tragedy after tragedy unfolded; it was as if I didn't want to turn the pages for fear of what was to come next. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as it could have been (landing on the wrong side would have led to heinous war crimes in addition to plain vanilla massacre) and he survived his harsh journey through the country through sheer grit. I couldn't help but think back to my own life at the time the story started - 1993 - when I was a student and didn't have a TV or interest in world affairs so was completely oblivious to the situation, despite having a close friend from Sierra Leone at that time .

The book ends with a brief history of the often-troubled country, which is worth reading to appreciate just how unsettling it must be to live within such a turbulent environment. The pain of Brexit is nothing in comparison!

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Jan 19, 9:42 AM
    • 16,643 Posts
    • 142,684 Thanks
    JackieO
    Just finished my book club for this month and had the audio book of 'Elizabeth is Missing' and I really enjoyed it, off to book club shortly and look forward to the new one ,I am hoping I can get the audio one as I can knit and listen at the same time ,
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2019 January 41.45 in total spent this month Feb 38.95 spentMarch food spend so far 24.90
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 14th Jan 19, 5:42 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 2,159 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    The book for the week is....

• Primrose
    • By Primrose 14th Jan 19, 8:42 PM
    • 8,556 Posts
    • 30,114 Thanks
    Primrose
    Just finished LIFE WITHOUT YOU by Lucie Brownlee A mother's heart rending story of the loss of her husband after dying of a heart attack in her arms at the age of 37, leaving her with a two year old daughter. Her pain and loss really come across. Possibly a difficult book for anybody to read if they have recently lost a partner but they will probably find a lot of emotions with which they can identify.
    • chrissie57
    • By chrissie57 15th Jan 19, 7:32 AM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 119,525 Thanks
    chrissie57

Resisted reading this for a long time because of the hype - absolutely loved it
    "If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced (James Baldwin)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

498Posts Today

4,891Users online

Martin's Twitter