Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 18, 10:14 PM
    • 3,207Posts
    • 23,131Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019
    • 31st Dec 18, 10:14 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019 31st Dec 18 at 10:14 PM
    New year so time for a new thread - welcome to the 2019 make do, mend and minimise thread

For me, this year is going to be about minimising a lot of our stuff (after all how many books, DVDs, clothes, etc do two people really need and I've definitely got slight hoarding tendencies, there's heaps of stuff about the flat that is being kept just in case it might come in useful in the distant future), finally getting the flat looking how we want it on a very limited budget and moving towards a less wasteful lifestyle. I'd also like to get the sewing machine out again and actually learn out to use it properly. First I have to rescue it from the cupboard of doom

Loved reading what everyone was up to in 2018 and hope to see you all again in this thread. Happy MMMing to all

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 04-02-2019 at 3:37 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £0
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £666.94 (16.4% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 23/60
    Emergency fund - £210/£1000. Car fund - £320/£1000.
Page 9
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 5th Jun 19, 5:04 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 21,507 Thanks
    villagelife
    Make do with reusing pots in the garden a d using an old compost bag to use as a liner for a hanging basket.

Mend the bolt on the gate.bolt

Minimise books, paperwork and pens amongst other things and t shirts into rags.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 13th Jun 19, 2:11 PM
    • 9,196 Posts
    • 17,132 Thanks
    calleyw
    Right, being a chubby girl I seem to wear through on the inside of thigh on my jeans.

I have two pairs that have gone and a third pair that is on its way. Other wise the jeans are good. I have looked on pinterest and found some articles. But not sure they will work.

I bought some iron on patches. Umm by the end of the day they had gone or where peeling off.

I still have some left and was thinking of machine sewing them on but worried that it wont be comfortable.

Anyone done this?

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 13th Jun 19, 5:27 PM
    • 10,615 Posts
    • 38,571 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Oh yes, I must have spent hours patching jeans!

I'd suggest using fabric from the most worn out pair, that way the weight is similar and it lasts longer. Hand sewing is probably easier than using a machine, but you'll need a thimble to protect your fore finger.

Just make sure you don't leave the needle in the mend - I thought DH had taken up dancing the can-can when he found it the hard way
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 13th Jun 19, 6:12 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Calleyw, if you have a sewing machine with a darning foot, then sew a patch of similar material and just zigzag from one side to the other through both fabrics then rotate the jeans by 90 degrees and do the same.

Actually, the darning foot isn't essential, it just makes it easier to control where you're sewing
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 14th Jun 19, 10:07 PM
    • 9,196 Posts
    • 17,132 Thanks
    calleyw
    Calleyw, if you have a sewing machine with a darning foot, then sew a patch of similar material and just zigzag from one side to the other through both fabrics then rotate the jeans by 90 degrees and do the same.

Actually, the darning foot isn't essential, it just makes it easier to control where you're sewing
    Originally posted by Wraithlady

I do have a sewing machine but no idea if I have a darning foot.

I will give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks

Yours

Calley x

• villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Jun 19, 7:12 AM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 21,507 Thanks
    villagelife
    We have been making do and minimizing the bricks from MIL house ( we inherited it and are having it extended before renting it out) by laying a brick area in the garden. It's an area between two greenhouses that has looked a mess for a while. It looks so much better and the water butts have been fitted to greenhouses in time for all the rain this week.

Have mended a cold frame. It can be used now.

Starting to use the produce from the garden.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 23rd Jun 19, 7:55 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 23,131 Thanks
    misstara
    OH started a big clear out of his clothes last night. So far he has 2 black bags full to take to the salvation army collection point. There's still more drawers to go through but we ran out of steam after a couple of hours.

Yesterday was very much a pottering around the house day - OH did the garden while I cleaned my car. My neighbour kindly let me use her driveway and hose for this which made it much easier. It was a lovely day so got 2 loads of washing dried outside.

OH made roast beef for tea (I'm working tonight so had roast last night) so some has gone into the freezer for another roast, we're having beef and onion baguettes for lunch () and OH is going to use the rest for something - he hasn't decided on curry, pie or stovies yet. I made some cheese scones to use up some cheese that had gone mouldy which have been frozen to then take one daily for work.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £0
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £666.94 (16.4% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 23/60
    Emergency fund - £210/£1000. Car fund - £320/£1000.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 23rd Jun 19, 10:20 AM
    • 4,279 Posts
    • 67,931 Thanks
    silvasava
    Big making do, mending and minimising over the next few weeks. My kitchen has been half ripped out, the rest being done tomorrow and tuesday.
    The making do will be freezer surprise meals,the minimising will be the old kitchen units and the mending will be......dunno, but sure to be some Oh I promised to mend/re-make a small wheat bag for DGD that she managed to burn in the microwave (?)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 23rd Jun 19, 3:06 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 10,229 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Used up items from the fridge and stock cupboard for an impromptu lunch for myself, DS1 & his lovely GF.
    Sewed up a tear in DS1ís brand new joggers Its as best as it can be, yet Iím sure theyíll now only be worn for rough!
    Sorted out extra meds and toiletries, recycled packaging and made a list of what I do and donít need to top up.
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 3 2 JUNE GC £192.92/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 25th Jun 19, 9:24 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 22,411 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Currently on a motorbiking holiday with DH & 8 others - so the only thing being minimised is our bank accounts - especially DHís
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 28th Jun 19, 12:56 PM
    • 9,196 Posts
    • 17,132 Thanks
    calleyw
    Well I bodged a fix on my jeans. Wearable and comfortable and saved me £10 for another pair of jeans. My machine was not having it. So not sure if its me or the machine.

I have been trying to work out how old it is. I have been in my "new" place 15 years and bought it before we moved. It was second hand then and cost £90. Not done a huge amount with it but I reckon I have recouped the cost with the little bits of fixing I have used it for.

Going to look on line to see if I can find how to service it myself. if not take it in to somewhere to be serviced as it never has been.

Yours

Calley X

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 28th Jun 19, 1:14 PM
    • 4,279 Posts
    • 67,931 Thanks
    silvasava
    Calley - it probably just needs a clean and oil, also maybe a new needle and check your tensions. Generally there's not a lot that goes wrong and a bit of TLC if you dont use them regularly works wonders.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 29th Jun 19, 8:04 PM
    • 9,196 Posts
    • 17,132 Thanks
    calleyw
    Calley - it probably just needs a clean and oil, also maybe a new needle and check your tensions. Generally there's not a lot that goes wrong and a bit of TLC if you dont use them regularly works wonders.
    Originally posted by silvasava

Silvasava,

I have never done either to it.

So will look in to that in the next few days. Off to google where to get sewing machine oil from.

Yours

Calley x

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 29th Jun 19, 9:04 PM
    • 4,279 Posts
    • 67,931 Thanks
    silvasava
    Calley - 3 in 1 oil is fine if you have some.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 29th Jun 19, 9:12 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 22,411 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    As my Decluttering thread has vanished & am hoping it will be reinstated I thought I would put the bits decluttered on here & then try to move later

1920 - 1930 Plastic bottles - recycled
    1931 - 1987 Twenty nine lead figurines & 28 magazines to DSis
    1988 - 1990 Two crates & one box of paperwork sorted by DSis
    1991 - 1996 Paperwork shredded & 6 binfuls emptied into Wheelie Bin (by sis)

Have emptied all the holiday bags & am currently washing & reproofing our motorcycling outerwear as it all stinks due to us sweating in 35C + temperatures in France & Luxembourg Two items done & now line drying- 2 more to go then I have all the holiday clothes to wash

No mending or making do

MrsSD
    1996/2019
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 30th Jun 19, 11:16 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 22,411 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Make Do: Last nightís los of chicken & new potatoes - sliced & fried, plus sweetcorn & a fried egg for me as not enough chicken for 3

Mend: 3 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of underwear, put pleats in a skirt waistband as too large, invisible repair, of a burn hole in DSisís fleece (exact colour match).

Minimise: paperwork from France shredded - shredder emptied 31 Times into Wheelie Bin, 4 empty crates put into loft, 12 place Dinner Service - plates, tea plates & bowls bagged up ready to take to CS, handbag & 4 items of DSisís clothing into CS bag.

Yippee

MrsSD
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 1st Jul 19, 2:07 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 27,238 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Silvasava,

I have never done either to it.

So will look in to that in the next few days. Off to google where to get sewing machine oil from.

Yours

Calley x
    Originally posted by calleyw

Calley if you're likely to mend thickish denim and other fabrics it's worth getting a Jeans needle for your machine. They're thicker and sharper than a standard one. If you don't have somewhere locally that has a good range of machine sewing supplies you can find them online.

I buy my supplies from a local repair shop who sell everything needed including machine oil. It's not one I've tried but supermarkets and other shops usually have a Hemline rack and machine oil is there.

I check my machines before and after sewing and keep them clean and free from fluff and threads. They have a check every year or so . If you haven't had yours serviced it's worth doing.
    polly
    No need to hurry.No need to sparkle.No need to be anybody but oneself.

Virginia Woolf.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 1st Jul 19, 8:02 PM
    • 9,196 Posts
    • 17,132 Thanks
    calleyw
    Calley - 3 in 1 oil is fine if you have some.
    Originally posted by silvasava

I got some from a local drapers we have for £1.20 a bottle, a lot cheaper than on-line store I was looking at.

Yours

Calley x

• calleyw
    • By calleyw 1st Jul 19, 8:05 PM
    • 9,196 Posts
    • 17,132 Thanks
    calleyw
    Calley if you're likely to mend thickish denim and other fabrics it's worth getting a Jeans needle for your machine. They're thicker and sharper than a standard one. If you don't have somewhere locally that has a good range of machine sewing supplies you can find them online.

I buy my supplies from a local repair shop who sell everything needed including machine oil. It's not one I've tried but supermarkets and other shops usually have a Hemline rack and machine oil is there.

I check my machines before and after sewing and keep them clean and free from fluff and threads. They have a check every year or so . If you haven't had yours serviced it's worth doing.
    polly
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26

Pollyanna, no idea what the needles I have already. But will look in to.

I threaded it all up ok as far as I could see but it just keep getting tangled and not picking up from the bottom. But as you say could be the needle as well.

Yours

Calley x

• pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 1st Jul 19, 10:45 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 27,238 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    It could be the feed (the metal teeth under the needle) or the bobbin case could be slightly out of line. Could be worth phoning somewhere that services machines if there's one in your area to get an idea of how much they'd charge to check and service the machine.

If it's helping with making do and mending it's worth doing.As it's never had a service it's long overdue.

Jeans needles aren't usually supplied with most standard machines As yours is older it's possible it just has the standard needles.
    One of my machines is a jeans machine ideal for denim and heavier fabrics . Your machine will be ok with a jeans needle. If you don't have somewhere that stocks them locally Amazon and other online sites sell them.
    polly
    No need to hurry.No need to sparkle.No need to be anybody but oneself.

Virginia Woolf.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,564Posts Today

7,526Users online

Martin's Twitter