Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 18, 11:14 PM
    • 3,081Posts
    • 22,265Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019
    • 31st Dec 18, 11:14 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019 31st Dec 18 at 11:14 PM
    New year so time for a new thread - welcome to the 2019 make do, mend and minimise thread

For me, this year is going to be about minimising a lot of our stuff (after all how many books, DVDs, clothes, etc do two people really need and I've definitely got slight hoarding tendencies, there's heaps of stuff about the flat that is being kept just in case it might come in useful in the distant future), finally getting the flat looking how we want it on a very limited budget and moving towards a less wasteful lifestyle. I'd also like to get the sewing machine out again and actually learn out to use it properly. First I have to rescue it from the cupboard of doom

Loved reading what everyone was up to in 2018 and hope to see you all again in this thread. Happy MMMing to all

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 04-02-2019 at 4:37 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £415.02 (82% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £762.77 (4.4% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 14/60
    Emergency fund - £70/£1000. Car fund - £110/£1000.
    Mini Targets in March
    Exercise target - 7/16. Groceries target £170.33/£200. NSD target 9/15.
Page 4
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 13th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 22,424 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Dinner tonight was pasta with ood pesto (lovely) and some parmezan from the freezer (wombled from a work do leftovers last year), last of the carrots.

Dessert was homemade jam (a mixture of red garden fruit and some sugar, I didn't measure anything and kept it in the fridge) with yoghurt and homemade granola (from Aldi muesli, honey that we received as christmas gift, and dried exotic fruit cubes that I wombled a bagful of at work last year).
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 119,56 = £ 102.30
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68 = £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 14th Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    • 3,583 Posts
    • 42,359 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    In my efforts to empty the house I got rid of quite a bit today. A huge bowl has been loitering on top of a kitchen cupboard for years so took it to the charity stall at church, someone who cooks for a big family will love it. I gave a friend a big bag of wool in exchange for a £4 donation to my caravan fund.

It was community shop day where we get random food items for £6, today I got some peaches and nectarines which are a bit hard and in my experience rarely soften. SO will make a crumble or two with them tomorrow.Making do rather than wasting them.

Got my leather sandals glued at the cobblers. No charge as he couldnt guarantee the mend but as he said they look very comfy so better than chucking them. I hope they last as they were to replace another pair the same that lasted 4 years.
    Minimising 'Stuff''
    Keeping my purse shut still.

Motto for the year - Don't buy it!!!

COLOR=Red]
    [/COLOR]
    • Jane2112
    • By Jane2112 15th Jan 19, 8:47 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    Jane2112
    cheeky
    Hi,
    I have been away from this forum for a while, but am back and rather cheekily and back with a question. I already have a Janome machine which works well, but I have obtained ( free) a Toyota quiltmaster50. Has anyone any experience with this machine and top tips.?
    Thanks, Jane
    Jane 2112
    • misstara
    • By misstara 15th Jan 19, 10:29 PM
    • 3,081 Posts
    • 22,265 Thanks
    misstara
    Got through the mending pile over the last couple of days and also attempted to mend a pair of shoes, not sure if the glue has worked but will wear them at some point this week and see how they hold up.

Made cheese scones this evening to use up some vegan cheese that's been lurking around in the fridge. Popped some chilli flakes in as well to give them some flavour. They look pretty unappealing but taste yum. There's still more cheese left to use up so will make another batch at the weekend.

Encouraged OH to have a look through his clothes and have a clear out - he's got way more clothes than me. Identified a couple of things to go, definitely a work in progress
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £415.02 (82% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £762.77 (4.4% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 14/60
    Emergency fund - £70/£1000. Car fund - £110/£1000.
    Mini Targets in March
    Exercise target - 7/16. Groceries target £170.33/£200. NSD target 9/15.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th Jan 19, 9:38 AM
    • 4,140 Posts
    • 66,058 Thanks
    silvasava
    Jane2112 - suggest you post your query on the sewing thread if you don't get an answer here .
    Whoops - sorry just read you had!!

Not much making do or mending being done at the moment but have been minimising dust & had a mini wardrobe clear out so six tops and two pairs of cutoffs going out the door.
    Last edited by silvasava; 16-01-2019 at 9:47 AM.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • frizz2
    • By frizz2 17th Jan 19, 6:49 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    frizz2
    Hi Everyone,
    I am keen to join this thread as I feel "Make do, mend and minimise" should be my mantra this year. I have repaired one of my sons pair of jeans that had some pen/ink stains on the pockets. I blotted the stain and spot stain and removed the marks. After lots of elbow grease and then soaking them and the stain virtually came out! So son is wearing them again. Also he had some rips in jeans that are fashionable, but needed stabilizing, so I placed a denim fabric behind the rip and did some straight stitch on the sewing machine. My son has taken three favourite pairs of jeans that he had stopped wearing, back to University to wear again.
    I am also trying to use up all my toiletries and not buy any until I have used up what I have. All helps to save money!
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 17th Jan 19, 11:38 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 6,632 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    Leftover pie from Xmas dinner had for tea tonight and tomorrow. Love it. We still have 3 more to get through.
    DFW Nerd No: 600
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 17th Jan 19, 11:49 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 13,680 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone
    Make do: still eating food from stores
    Minimise: Come to the end of the clearing but Im thinking of going around again.
    Mend: I have a sock waiting to be darned but cant find any wool thin enough to use. I will have a look to see if there is any I can unravel a thin strand from.
    Ive made a list of seeds I need this year so tomorrow I will have a look to see how many I have in my box and how many I will have to buy. Also picking dgd from school tomorrow so I think I will make some flap jack or something similar for a treat.
    Nannyg
    Budgeting again, must try harder!!
    Sealed pot challenge no.31
    Frugal challenge 2019
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 18th Jan 19, 10:18 AM
    • 666 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    savingpennies
    Morning all. Mending: I repaired a hole in a chair pad; it's not perfect but as I've put it on a chair that is hardly used and I can't purchase another one that matches the rest it will do.

Jobs for today
    -Veg chilli tonight with whatever veg is in the fridge plus a can of kidney beans.
    -I'm going through my seed box this morning to see what I already have and what I need to get. I can then plan what I am going to grow this year.
    - Also going through knitting stash. I bought a long waxed coat for winter and need a new hat and scarf to go with it.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    2019 in 2019: £68.73
    2019 £2 savers:
    £6
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 19th Jan 19, 8:14 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 6,632 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    Tonight I am mending my old faithful coat. I have had it for about 10 years and I still love it as much as the day I bought it. Someone complimented me on it yesterday and it made me so happy. I love it when you have clothes that just make you feel nice, however old they are.

There are buttons falling off all over the place and I have managed to keep hold of them all until now. I'm sure if I wait any longer another will go and I'll be frustrated that I didn't get round to it sooner.

Made 2xHM soup last night - Leek and Potato and Broccoli and Stilton. I didn't have enough broccoli for the whole recipe so just reduced the quantities down by a third so as to not throw away the stilton from xmas. I'm not a huge fan of stilton personally but OH is (despite apparently being lactose intolerant - he eats cheese all the time and used to only have dairy-free custard until we ran out then normal custard was fine lol)!!! He likes Broccoli and stilton soup so he has had that today and said it was lovely. Leek and Potato is the ONLY soup DD2 and as she doesn't like/eat hardly any vegetables it all makes me happy when she eats it.

The previous tenant of the allotment has finally taken his shed (but not his leeks). Is it wrong to covet a man's Leeks???
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 19th Jan 19, 8:49 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    The previous tenant of the allotment has finally taken his shed (but not his leeks). Is it wrong to covet a man's Leeks???
    Originally posted by miss empty piggy
    Not at all.. I’d give him 48 hours & then they are yours..
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 2 March GC £212.12/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 20th Jan 19, 9:57 AM
    • 4,140 Posts
    • 66,058 Thanks
    silvasava
    Miss Piggy - it would be criminal to waste them.................
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 20th Jan 19, 6:42 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,321 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Had intended to take a carrier bag of unwanteds to the cs on Friday but didn't get there. It's a good 25min walk (uphill) and, whilst I don't mind going out in the cold if I'm wrapped up well and it's fine, I don't do rain/wind/snow. Yes, it was snowing - bah! It now has a companion bag as I've managed to ferret out some more bits and bobs - a bag of decorative polished pebbles (where they came from I have no idea), a glass jam pot & lid, 2 books, a few knitting patterns plus all my cross-stitch charts and threads. I can't manage cross-stitch anymore (ageing eyes) but I've kept back some metallic threads as I'm going to use them doubled up with knitting yarn for the cuffs of a cardigan to make a sparkly finish. I'll try again to make it to the cs this week and will put the bags in the wally trolley but I'll be trying hard not to fill it up with goodies for the return journey.

There are a couple of jobs on the mending list for this week, one of which is sewing on the buttons on DH's leather coat and I'm not looking forward to doing it. They haven't come off yet but are precariously loose so I shall have to get-round-tuit.

Not sure how much will get done this week as DH's younger brother is in hospital, ICU, and we may well be summoned at any time so it's probably wise not to plan too much in advance.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Mar: £0/£132 and 0/28 NSDs
    2019 to date: £57.81 under budget (2018: £172.45 under budget)

• miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 20th Jan 19, 11:16 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 6,632 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    Not sure how much will get done this week as DH's younger brother is in hospital, ICU, and we may well be summoned at any time so it's probably wise not to plan too much in advance.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Thinking of you all YorksLass xxx
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 20th Jan 19, 11:26 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 6,632 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    MadamMim2013 (one of my most favourite characters EVER!) and Silvasava there's been a plot twist today.

DOH comes bounding up the stairs (I knew something was up as he NEVER runs) saying that the greenhouse we missed out on last week on FB had called (well the owner anyway lol) to say the buyer had changed his mind. The greenhouse was on the same allotment site as us. He goes off to see it as I am busy.

The seller was our Leek man - apparently he has 2 separate plots and can no longer maintain them due to medical reasons. So we have to move his green house from his other plot over to ours. So weird. As DOH was so nice he said that we could have everything that's left including the chicken wire and fence posts that he was planning on taking. However sadly he does still want his leeks.

He said that if we had acquired his other plot we wouldn't need to move the greenhouse but he did say that our plot is the better of the two in terms of soil and growing potential. The greenhouse is approximately 50 metres from ours so we are planning to take out what glass hasn't been glued in and a team of us will carry it intact to the new site. We will have to take down the front fence but as the guy put it up originally, he said that he will show us how to easily do this (so we'll also know for future reference).

Do you think that is Karma for NOT taking his leeks. I like to think so as it was really hard to resist as they look SOOOOO good. xxx
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 21st Jan 19, 8:31 AM
    • 4,140 Posts
    • 66,058 Thanks
    silvasava
    Definitely Karma MEP!!! If he thinks your plot has better soil and growing potential get those leeks started off asap! They're an easy crop to grow and a useful veg. Acquiring the greenhouse is definitely an MMM win well done!!
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 22nd Jan 19, 4:09 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 9,669 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 (one of my most favourite characters EVER!)
    The seller was our Leek man - apparently he has 2 separate plots and can no longer maintain them due to medical reasons. So we have to move his green house from his other plot over to ours. So weird. As DOH was so nice he said that we could have everything that's left including the chicken wire and fence posts that he was planning on taking. However sadly he does still want his leeks.
    Do you think that is Karma for NOT taking his leeks. I like to think so as it was really hard to resist as they look SOOOOO good. xxx
    Originally posted by miss empty piggy
    Hehehe.. I too love dear old Mim, sad she’s missed out from most of the current Disney Villans stuff though..

about Leek Man.. its defo good Karma for not munching his stash of quality Leeks!
    Sounds like you got the better of the two plots too!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 2 March GC £212.12/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • frizz2
    • By frizz2 22nd Jan 19, 5:06 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    frizz2
    Descaled Steam iron and kettle- maintaining equipment fits this remit I think!
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 22nd Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    savingpennies
    DD2 & her partner have gone off to Italy to see his family and have a holiday. They have Italian cafe/ takeaway so left their leftovers: pasta, toms, chicken,tomato sauce spinch, salads, etc. So Free food and no shopping needed.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    2019 in 2019: £68.73
    2019 £2 savers:
    £6
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 22nd Jan 19, 8:31 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 22,424 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I have painful thumbs, wrists and upper part of the hands at the moment (where the hand joins the wrist, on the back of the hand) and have been looking for solutions. The gp suggested a deepheat cream, and that helps for a while, but I was looking for something more permanent. Then, yesterday, dd2 popped her toes through both socks of a pair, and I found my solution! I have cut the toe part of both socks, and cut a small hole in the heel, where my thumb can go through. They fit!

It's not quite warm enough, so I will see if we have any woollen or sports socks that I can cut up. I'm really pleased with this!
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 119,56 = £ 102.30
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68 = £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,153Posts Today

6,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin