Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 18, 11:14 PM
    • 3,017Posts
    • 21,798Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019
    • 31st Dec 18, 11:14 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019 31st Dec 18 at 11:14 PM
    New year so time for a new thread - welcome to the 2019 make do, mend and minimise thread

For me, this year is going to be about minimising a lot of our stuff (after all how many books, DVDs, clothes, etc do two people really need and I've definitely got slight hoarding tendencies, there's heaps of stuff about the flat that is being kept just in case it might come in useful in the distant future), finally getting the flat looking how we want it on a very limited budget and moving towards a less wasteful lifestyle. I'd also like to get the sewing machine out again and actually learn out to use it properly. First I have to rescue it from the cupboard of doom

Loved reading what everyone was up to in 2018 and hope to see you all again in this thread. Happy MMMing to all
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 419.37 (81.8% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 797.68 Now 750.40 (5.9% paid) + monthly payments 146.82 13/60
    Emergency fund - 15/1000. Car fund - 25/1000.
    Mini Targets in January
    Exercise target - 7/16. Groceries target 59.89/120. NSD target 12/20.
Page 4
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 13th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 21,617 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Dinner tonight was pasta with ood pesto (lovely) and some parmezan from the freezer (wombled from a work do leftovers last year), last of the carrots.

Dessert was homemade jam (a mixture of red garden fruit and some sugar, I didn't measure anything and kept it in the fridge) with yoghurt and homemade granola (from Aldi muesli, honey that we received as christmas gift, and dried exotic fruit cubes that I wombled a bagful of at work last year).
    2019's wi-wa-wombles 90,96 = 80.99
    Wombling to wealth 2018 972,97 = 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68 = 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31 = 2,969.05
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 14th Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    • 3,583 Posts
    • 42,348 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    In my efforts to empty the house I got rid of quite a bit today. A huge bowl has been loitering on top of a kitchen cupboard for years so took it to the charity stall at church, someone who cooks for a big family will love it. I gave a friend a big bag of wool in exchange for a 4 donation to my caravan fund.

It was community shop day where we get random food items for 6, today I got some peaches and nectarines which are a bit hard and in my experience rarely soften. SO will make a crumble or two with them tomorrow.Making do rather than wasting them.

Got my leather sandals glued at the cobblers. No charge as he couldnt guarantee the mend but as he said they look very comfy so better than chucking them. I hope they last as they were to replace another pair the same that lasted 4 years.
    Minimising 'Stuff''
    Keeping my purse shut still.

Motto for the year - Don't buy it!!!

COLOR=Red]
    [/COLOR]
    • Jane2112
    • By Jane2112 15th Jan 19, 8:47 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    Jane2112
    cheeky
    Hi,
    I have been away from this forum for a while, but am back and rather cheekily and back with a question. I already have a Janome machine which works well, but I have obtained ( free) a Toyota quiltmaster50. Has anyone any experience with this machine and top tips.?
    Thanks, Jane
    Jane 2112
    • misstara
    • By misstara 15th Jan 19, 10:29 PM
    • 3,017 Posts
    • 21,798 Thanks
    misstara
    Got through the mending pile over the last couple of days and also attempted to mend a pair of shoes, not sure if the glue has worked but will wear them at some point this week and see how they hold up.

Made cheese scones this evening to use up some vegan cheese that's been lurking around in the fridge. Popped some chilli flakes in as well to give them some flavour. They look pretty unappealing but taste yum. There's still more cheese left to use up so will make another batch at the weekend.

Encouraged OH to have a look through his clothes and have a clear out - he's got way more clothes than me. Identified a couple of things to go, definitely a work in progress
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 419.37 (81.8% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 797.68 Now 750.40 (5.9% paid) + monthly payments 146.82 13/60
    Emergency fund - 15/1000. Car fund - 25/1000.
    Mini Targets in January
    Exercise target - 7/16. Groceries target 59.89/120. NSD target 12/20.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th Jan 19, 9:38 AM
    • 4,067 Posts
    • 65,022 Thanks
    silvasava
    Jane2112 - suggest you post your query on the sewing thread if you don't get an answer here .
    Whoops - sorry just read you had!!

Not much making do or mending being done at the moment but have been minimising dust & had a mini wardrobe clear out so six tops and two pairs of cutoffs going out the door.
    Last edited by silvasava; 16-01-2019 at 9:47 AM.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • frizz2
    • By frizz2 17th Jan 19, 6:49 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    frizz2
    Hi Everyone,
    I am keen to join this thread as I feel "Make do, mend and minimise" should be my mantra this year. I have repaired one of my sons pair of jeans that had some pen/ink stains on the pockets. I blotted the stain and spot stain and removed the marks. After lots of elbow grease and then soaking them and the stain virtually came out! So son is wearing them again. Also he had some rips in jeans that are fashionable, but needed stabilizing, so I placed a denim fabric behind the rip and did some straight stitch on the sewing machine. My son has taken three favourite pairs of jeans that he had stopped wearing, back to University to wear again.
    I am also trying to use up all my toiletries and not buy any until I have used up what I have. All helps to save money!
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 17th Jan 19, 11:38 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 6,351 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    Leftover pie from Xmas dinner had for tea tonight and tomorrow. Love it. We still have 3 more to get through.
    DFW Nerd No: 600
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 17th Jan 19, 11:49 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 13,550 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone
    Make do: still eating food from stores
    Minimise: Come to the end of the clearing but Im thinking of going around again.
    Mend: I have a sock waiting to be darned but cant find any wool thin enough to use. I will have a look to see if there is any I can unravel a thin strand from.
    Ive made a list of seeds I need this year so tomorrow I will have a look to see how many I have in my box and how many I will have to buy. Also picking dgd from school tomorrow so I think I will make some flap jack or something similar for a treat.
    Nannyg
    Budgeting again, must try harder!!
    Sealed pot challenge no.31
    Frugal challenge 2019
    January nsd = 15
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 18th Jan 19, 10:18 AM
    • 665 Posts
    • 4,295 Thanks
    savingpennies
    Morning all. Mending: I repaired a hole in a chair pad; it's not perfect but as I've put it on a chair that is hardly used and I can't purchase another one that matches the rest it will do.

Jobs for today
    -Veg chilli tonight with whatever veg is in the fridge plus a can of kidney beans.
    -I'm going through my seed box this morning to see what I already have and what I need to get. I can then plan what I am going to grow this year.
    - Also going through knitting stash. I bought a long waxed coat for winter and need a new hat and scarf to go with it.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    2019 in 2019: 68.73
    2019 2 savers:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,691Posts Today

8,260Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin