Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Dec 18, 3:30 PM
    • 1,086Posts
    • 8,233Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge
    • 31st Dec 18, 3:30 PM
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 31st Dec 18 at 3:30 PM
    Welcome to the 2019 Fashion On The Ration Challenge. The 2018 thread was very successful and can be found here. Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, several of us are continuing our "Fashion on the Ration" challenge into 2019.

Even after last year’s challenge, I still have an overflowing wardrobe. Half of my coupons went on yarn, so rather than decreasing my yarn stash it grew considerably. My aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
    • 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw atthe Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
    • Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons.

I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 14-02-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 25
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 11th May 19, 1:57 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,286 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Drool, drool, drooool...

Definitely worth those five coupons!

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 22.5 coupons left out of 66
    • getmyacttogether2016
    • By getmyacttogether2016 11th May 19, 3:13 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    getmyacttogether2016
    Thanks for the welcome ladies.

Tried to remember everything I have bought from the beginning of the year but brain is not playing so will start from last month and work out how many coupons I have. (44 I believe)

So far I have bought 1x blouse (collectif), 1x skirt (lindy bop), 2x dress (hell bunny) and 2x converse, some of this was bnwt but 2nd hand as from individual sellers not shops so no coupons and 1x pr shoes from shop so 5 coupons and 4x elastic belts so 12 coupons (other garments). I also ordered a 40s apron pattern but not sure how many coupons that will be, any ideas please?

Not as good as I had hoped but am definately thinking about things more and most of the spends were last month before I got on board with this challenge.

Just joined ravelery so need to check it out for inspiration and try and find some local groups.

Laura, that green is lovely and so fresh looking.
    Last edited by getmyacttogether2016; 12-05-2019 at 7:47 AM.
    Lost my way for a while but now back on board

Grocery challenge £34.30/£200
    2019 Fashion on the Ration 17/44
    No buying unnecessary toiletries
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 13th May 19, 1:45 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,286 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    We've worked out the design for my new linen skirt, with my present-fabric - I spent an hour trying on all the skirts I wear most, plus any others my chap or I thought looked nice, and we worked out what does and doesn't work in each one, and we've put all the elements we think look and work best together, and I very much hope the skirt will be an effective result of the process!

That's partly due to this group - entirely due? In the past I'd have come up with an idea in my head and gone ahead... but this is us trying to work out what the most-needed, most-wanted, most-useful skirt would be...
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 13th May 19, 9:54 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 8,233 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Laura, that sock yarn looks lovely. The colours are very “you”.

I am in awe of your dressmaking skills.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 14th May 19, 7:12 AM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 25,648 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Yikes, another 12 coupons gone - brings my total for the year up to 35.
    I'm going on holiday next week and need some trousers in fabric that will dry out quickly, I usually live in jeans but they're not suitable for walking/sailing. My old ones are too big and I haven't got the time or energy to try and alter them, and searching charity shops hasn't produced anything. So two pairs of trousers, I am somewhat resentful of both the money and the coupons but they're needed.

Laura I like the idea of selecting the 'best elements' - can't wait to see what you come up with. And thanks to both you and Pip for advice above, I am now knitting a sock and it's going well. I've got a long train journey to the holiday and wanted something to occupy me, hoping I'll finish a pair.

Getmyactogether, I don't think the pattern costs any coupons but you'll need them for the fabric you use - unless it's from stash.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 14th May 19, 8:58 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    I've been spending too. A new pair of shoes ( closed in and able to stand the wet, but NOT boots! and in a snazzy shade of red) so five coupons, and a pair of jeggings to replace the ones my son's girlfriend gave me a couple of Christmases ago. I think she bought them with herself in mind - she's a 27 inch leg and I am 33 inches! They will be gifted to a charity shop. But how many coupons for that? They are definitely not jeans or trousers - too lightweight, but they aren't exactly leggings either.

Laura, I just love the colours in that green ball of wool!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 15th May 19, 7:50 AM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 8,233 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Yikes, another 12 coupons gone - brings my total for the year up to 35.
    I'm going on holiday next week and need some trousers in fabric that will dry out quickly, I usually live in jeans but they're not suitable for walking/sailing. My old ones are too big and I haven't got the time or energy to try and alter them, and searching charity shops hasn't produced anything. So two pairs of trousers, I am somewhat resentful of both the money and the coupons but they're needed.

Laura I like the idea of selecting the 'best elements' - can't wait to see what you come up with. And thanks to both you and Pip for advice above, I am now knitting a sock and it's going well. I've got a long train journey to the holiday and wanted something to occupy me, hoping I'll finish a pair.

Getmyactogether, I don't think the pattern costs any coupons but you'll need them for the fabric you use - unless it's from stash.
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    You're correct, patterns don't have a coupon cost.

Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy the sock knitting.

I've been spending too. A new pair of shoes ( closed in and able to stand the wet, but NOT boots! and in a snazzy shade of red) so five coupons, and a pair of jeggings to replace the ones my son's girlfriend gave me a couple of Christmases ago. I think she bought them with herself in mind - she's a 27 inch leg and I am 33 inches! They will be gifted to a charity shop. But how many coupons for that? They are definitely not jeans or trousers - too lightweight, but they aren't exactly leggings either.

Laura, I just love the colours in that green ball of wool!
    Originally posted by CapricornLass
    Hmmm.... As far as I'm concerned, "jeggings" are leggings made to look like jeans so you should use the same coupon cost as leggings. Skinny/stretch jeans are a different matter, but the quality of the fabric is a give-away; stretch jeans still feel like they are made from denim.

HTH

- Pip

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 15th May 19, 9:30 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,286 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I'm feeling quietly pleased - I have bought yet another two vest-tops.... BUT they are about twice the thickness I've become used to, so can be worn as tops and should last (Asda, two for £4; t-shirts as well), so I think they are worth the coupons.

But how many coupons for two vest-tops???
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 15th May 19, 12:24 PM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 25,648 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I'd say they are 'other undergarments' - so 3 each?
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 15th May 19, 12:29 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,286 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    3 each seems fine to me!

Being down to 22.5 coupons, though... eeek!

I'm still washing the excess dye out of that green linen I was sent as a present (it's literally had about five long washes but still, each time the colour-catcher I put in to check is very green! I need to be able to wash it once it's mad up, so I just have to keep on putting it through...), but when I have done, I am not sure the fabrics I have will work for a contrast-trim... I shall just have to try very hard to find something in those boxes, because I don't want to have to spend any coupons! I don't grudge spending the money, but I'd rather find something that will work in my fabric collection than buy more!

It's starting to work - yippee!!!!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 15th May 19, 5:27 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 8,233 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I'm feeling quietly pleased - I have bought yet another two vest-tops.... BUT they are about twice the thickness I've become used to, so can be worn as tops and should last (Asda, two for £4; t-shirts as well), so I think they are worth the coupons.

But how many coupons for two vest-tops???
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    I'd say they are 'other undergarments' - so 3 each?
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    I agree with Polly, Laura. 3 coupons each.

3 each seems fine to me!

Being down to 22.5 coupons, though... eeek!

I'm still washing the excess dye out of that green linen I was sent as a present (it's literally had about five long washes but still, each time the colour-catcher I put in to check is very green! I need to be able to wash it once it's mad up, so I just have to keep on putting it through...), but when I have done, I am not sure the fabrics I have will work for a contrast-trim... I shall just have to try very hard to find something in those boxes, because I don't want to have to spend any coupons! I don't grudge spending the money, but I'd rather find something that will work in my fabric collection than buy more!

It's starting to work - yippee!!!!
    Talk us through your design, please, Laura. Where is this contrast trim going and what colours does the linen inspire when you look at it?

- Pip

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 15th May 19, 6:32 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,286 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Well... it's kind of very roughly like this:

And what I'd like to do is to liven up the green linen, which could otherwise be a bit drab and military, but emphasising the feminine touches in the little jacket, and have whatever shape I do the decorative cuffs echoed in the edging-strips for the pockets on the skirt, etc.
    The contrast is planned to go in a range of places: probably as piping round the edge of the cuffs and pocket-strips, maybe also across the yoke of the jacket, part of the lining where it will most show, maybe to bind the hem of the skirt on the inside where it will be glimpsed, etc. There's an attractive thing I've seen where on the front yoke of a jacket or blouse you have strips running up and down on top of the fabric, using different fabric on the back, with each strip twisted once, so it's a really lovely way to add contrast without being overpowering, might try that...

I don't want to limit how I can wear the green linen (I have a gorgeous blue jacket lined in blue-and-pink which rules out a surprising quantity of other clothes!), but I wondered about pale yellow, deep gold, those kinds of colours, maybe touches of cornflower blue... spring flowers, really, primroses and forget-me-nots against green leaves.

It should look a bit 1930s, skirt mid-calf and gored, pockets set with slits; little army-style jacket made feminine with puffed sleeves pulled into box-pleats with cuffs, and with wider lapels, maybe decorated...

This is the twisted strap thing, tutorial here http://shockinghocking.blogspot.com/2012/01/twisted-tutorial.html
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 15th May 19, 9:03 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    [QUOTE=PipneyJane;75813245]

Hmmm.... As far as I'm concerned, "jeggings" are leggings made to look like jeans so you should use the same coupon cost as leggings. Skinny/stretch jeans are a different matter, but the quality of the fabric is a give-away; stretch jeans still feel like they are made from denim.

Thank you - that puts me up to a total of 24 coupons used so far this year.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 16th May 19, 5:43 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 8,233 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Well... it's kind of very roughly like this:

And what I'd like to do is to liven up the green linen, which could otherwise be a bit drab and military, but emphasising the feminine touches in the little jacket, and have whatever shape I do the decorative cuffs echoed in the edging-strips for the pockets on the skirt, etc.
    The contrast is planned to go in a range of places: probably as piping round the edge of the cuffs and pocket-strips, maybe also across the yoke of the jacket, part of the lining where it will most show, maybe to bind the hem of the skirt on the inside where it will be glimpsed, etc. There's an attractive thing I've seen where on the front yoke of a jacket or blouse you have strips running up and down on top of the fabric, using different fabric on the back, with each strip twisted once, so it's a really lovely way to add contrast without being overpowering, might try that...

I don't want to limit how I can wear the green linen (I have a gorgeous blue jacket lined in blue-and-pink which rules out a surprising quantity of other clothes!), but I wondered about pale yellow, deep gold, those kinds of colours, maybe touches of cornflower blue... spring flowers, really, primroses and forget-me-nots against green leaves.

It should look a bit 1930s, skirt mid-calf and gored, pockets set with slits; little army-style jacket made feminine with puffed sleeves pulled into box-pleats with cuffs, and with wider lapels, maybe decorated...

This is the twisted strap thing, tutorial here http://shockinghocking.blogspot.com/2012/01/twisted-tutorial.html
    I can visualise the shape, but I’m struggling with the trim. (I love your drawing.)

As you say, you don’t want to limit how you can wear the skirt and jacket. The only contrast I can visualise is in either black or navy blue on the collar and on the flaps of the skirt pockets. The thought occurs to me, though, how about for the jacket, having a contrasting pocket handkerchief, pinned in to the breast pocket, in an accent colour? You could swap the hanky depending on what blouse you’re wearing.

HTH,

Pip
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 16-05-2019 at 5:46 PM.

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 16th May 19, 6:37 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,286 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Pip, it's changed a bit - no fabric trim now, because it turns out the fabric has gone a bit patchy in washing out the excess dye, and now has pale crease-lines all over it, argh... the lovely friend would be upset if he knew, so now I have to find a way of making something that won't show the marks...!

So I'm going to nick that 1920s idea of panels and patches of coloured large-ish embroidery around the place, and hope that distracts the eye enough!

It's one of the difficult things about being me, not being able to describe what is in my mind's eye - which can often mean I make incomplete plans and run into problems that need worked round halfway through... on the other hand, one of the better things about being me is innovative designs, so it balances out

(Guess who is not neurotypical; not sure I'd ever mentioned it... quite severely autistic, albeit exceptionally high-functioning so mostly it doesn't show)

(Edit: but the contrast I had been thinking of was multi-coloured small print, maybe a tiny spriggy floral, definitely not navy or black!)
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 17th May 19, 7:46 AM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 8,233 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Pip, it's changed a bit - no fabric trim now, because it turns out the fabric has gone a bit patchy in washing out the excess dye, and now has pale crease-lines all over it, argh... the lovely friend would be upset if he knew, so now I have to find a way of making something that won't show the marks...!
    How about overdying it with the closest matching shade of Dylon that you can find? Linen should take dye well.

So I'm going to nick that 1920s idea of panels and patches of coloured large-ish embroidery around the place, and hope that distracts the eye enough!

It's one of the difficult things about being me, not being able to describe what is in my mind's eye - which can often mean I make incomplete plans and run into problems that need worked round halfway through... on the other hand, one of the better things about being me is innovative designs, so it balances out

(Guess who is not neurotypical; not sure I'd ever mentioned it... quite severely autistic, albeit exceptionally high-functioning so mostly it doesn't show)

(Edit: but the contrast I had been thinking of was multi-coloured small print, maybe a tiny spriggy floral, definitely not navy or black!)
    I'd never have guessed that you are autistic. Smart, kind, empathetic, a touch obsessive at times, talented at sewing and knitting... These are the labels I would give you. You navigate the strange world of the "average human" very well.

- Pip

EDTA: Back on the first topic, what does the linen look like once ironed? Linen is the longest plant fibre used for fabric. The thought occurs to me that those pale lines have appeared where it's been bent, possibly partially breaking the fibres. Ironed smooth, they may disappear.
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 17-05-2019 at 7:51 AM.

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 17th May 19, 8:16 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,286 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Thankyou for the kind words! x I'm never quite sure, and can sometimes put my foot in it badly...

Sadly, linen is notorious for *not* taking most dyes at all well... in fact, the extensive bleeding of this fabric's excess dye suggests to me that it's had a dye intended for cotton (much cheaper than linen-type dyes), and the horrible crease-lines with the rubbing away of fibres tells me it hasn't got the long fibres that linen should have.
    Cheap really is cheap! It's almost certainly been processed in cotton-mills because that's cheaper - so they take cheap, low-quality linen fibres, chop them short like cotton and meld them into a thread by sheer brute mechanical force, and weave it into a fabric with none of the strength of linen; then they've used a cheap dye, but bucketloads of it.

The good news is that it should still function like linen in terms of thermoregulation - it will stay cool in hot weather. So I'll go ahead and make the skirt and jacket, and my generous friend will be pleased (already looking forward to the in-progress photos!), and if it doesn't last then at least I'll have learnt a lot in the making, and I can consider it a toile/muslin, ie trying out the new pattern. If it works well in terms of fit and comfort and appearance, then I can always consider buying some really good linen!

Basically, if linen is only £4.50 a metre, there's a reason...!!!
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 21st May 19, 7:15 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,286 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Ooh, wearing one of those two new vest-tops from Asda today and it feels so different from the flimsy Primark ones I kept buying more of! I can readily imagine this better-quality fabric really lasting...

That's a lesson to me - don't waste my coupons on multiple flimsy garments, if there's a well-made one available in a similar price-range and colours!
    Honestly - it's like that old advice about not going food-shopping when hungry... don't go clothes-shopping when in need of self-esteem or cheering up!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 21st May 19, 8:17 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 8,233 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Errr...... How do I explain this? I’ve done it. I’ve blown the lot and then some. The sheep made me do it!

(There really was a sheep. It was a Blue-faced Leicester and I saw it being sheared, then got to handle its fleece.)

We went to Wool@J13 for the weekend, in the small Staffordshire village of Penkridge. When I bought the tickets last October, I had no idea that I’d blow through my 2019 Coupons so quickly. I just thought, “It’s a knitting event that’s 2-ish hours away and doable as a day trip. If Chelsea make it into the FA Cup Final, I can just do the Sunday...There’s bound to be a few vendors I’ve never seen before, who could sell interesting stuff. I may even get to play on a spinning wheel...”. Ahem.

Anyway, once Chelsea were knocked out of the FA Cup, my DH suggested we make a weekend of it. (We’re season ticket holders, so would have gone to Wembley.). His role is pretty clear: driver (so I can knit on the journey); conscience (“Do you really want that?”); bag carrier; colour tester (we have the same colouring, so I hold stuff up to his face to see how it suits); and - more rarely - enabler (like the time he talked me into buying a sweater’s worth of cashmere at £10 a ball, because it came as a kit with a pattern I fancied).

My personal resolution was to only buy something if it was truly special and, if it was that special, to buy enough to make a jumper. And there were some pretty special yarns at Wool@J13: lots of hand-dyed; several rare breeds; some even being sold by the people who raised the sheep...

The first yarn to seduce me was a grey Poldale Sock Yarn, which was hiding in the sale bin of one of the stands. I don’t know which stand - I’m working away this week and can’t check the bag - but the stallholder’s boyfriend did hold up the sign for me to take a photo of it together with the yarn..

At £6/skein, I bought all four skeins lurking in the sale bin. (8 Coupons spent.)

The second yarn to seduce me, is Hawkshaw Sheep’s “Clotted Cream 4-ply”, a blend of 90% Cheviot yarn and 10% Alpaca. I’d heard Sue, the owner, interviewed on Knit British sometime last year, so was delighted to meet her at the show. Cheviot sheep are raised primarily for meat, but a couple of years ago Sue started wondering what could be done with the fleece from her flock. She was told, “Cheviot yarn is too coarse...”, handled some lambs’ wool and disagreed. The rest is history. Four more skeins ended up in my bag.

The above was meant to be black, but after two trips through the dye pot, the darkest Sue could manage was this shade of French Navy. Black is, apparently, quite a difficult shade to achieve. (We actually chatted for quite a while.)

Anyway, in little over 3 hours, I managed to spend 16 coupons, when I only had 6 left for the rest of 2019. I’m going to keep tracking, but I reckon I’ll be lucky if I get out of 2019 with less than 100 coupons spent.

- Pip (76 coupons spent, so -10)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,952Posts Today

4,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin