Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 31st Dec 18, 8:18 AM
    • 4,601Posts
    • 79,513Thanks
    Chrisv
    Slimming through the Winter - Slimming World support thread 2019
    • 31st Dec 18, 8:18 AM
    Slimming through the Winter - Slimming World support thread 2019 31st Dec 18 at 8:18 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you, go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list; so that's pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra choice and one Healthy Extra choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
Page 28
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 13th Jan 19, 8:59 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 16,565 Thanks
    greentiger
    Those are fantastic losses, Haylaluru (Have a great birthday.) and gts.

Good for you, tweets and g2dtn.

Welcome, TheTalkingDead.

Good luck, everyone.
    Stashbusting 16
    Reading Challenge 2/26
    Film Challenge 8/52
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 13th Jan 19, 9:01 PM
    • 2,522 Posts
    • 3,766 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I’m joining Monday night.
    Can I use BOB milk as skimmed milk?
    What’s the best yogurts to get? Are muller really full of sugar, aren’t they all?
    Any white bread (the high fibre sort) allowed as a HEB?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jan 19, 9:26 PM
    • 61,876 Posts
    • 265,205 Thanks
    beanielou
    You have had a busy day Maman
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Jan 19, 10:03 PM
    • 19,349 Posts
    • 115,889 Thanks
    maman
    You have had a busy day Maman
    Originally posted by beanielou
    You're not wrong beanie I was tempted to stay at home but glad I went and managed to stay on plan. Eating out can derail the plan so easily.

I’m joining Monday night.
    Can I use BOB milk as skimmed milk?
    What’s the best yogurts to get? Are muller really full of sugar, aren’t they all?
    Any white bread (the high fibre sort) allowed as a HEB?
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    Definitely use BOB milk as it tastes as good as skimmed and you can have the same amount. I think from memory it's 300 mls. I'm not a regular yogurt eater but the 0% Greek is free, either Aldi fake or Total. That's great with fruit added and a bit of sweetener if you want. Others who eat flavoured yogurt will advise on any more free ones.

AFAIK the only bread that counts as a HEB is wholemeal except for some gluten free stuff I've never tasted. HTH
    Last edited by maman; 13-01-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 13th Jan 19, 10:17 PM
    • 54,623 Posts
    • 638,862 Thanks
    bubbs
    Maman ,glad you liked the pic and glad your day worked out fine.
    Kim , all flavoured yogs have syns now
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 3lb
    • sarymclary
    • By sarymclary 13th Jan 19, 10:34 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    sarymclary
    Evening! Quickly checking in before bed, and not had a chance to read your posts yet, so will catch up in the morning on those.

Had a good trip out with OH today, and he's a happy bunny with his winnings from ebay that we collected. We did well eating on the road, and both ate healthily - hurrah!

B - porridge HEB. splash of milk from HEA (rest of it was in tea/coffee today), sugar (1)
    L - chicken salad. Some of the dressing dribbled over it. (3)
    D - WW chicken hotpot (5), rice, peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn. Use by date was 2016, but I'm still alive and it was frozen, so can't see the harm in that.
    snacks: nectarine

WI day tomorrow - eek!!
    One day the clocks will stop, and time won't mean a thing

Be nice to your children, they'll choose your care home
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jan 19, 10:36 PM
    • 61,876 Posts
    • 265,205 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy weigh in Sary

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Suffolksue
    • By Suffolksue 13th Jan 19, 10:58 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    Suffolksue
    Love hearing and seeing all the menus,think I've got too boring ,must try some different things.
    Quiet day here ,after spending an hour at 4 am getting DH off the floor ( he has Parkinson's and fell getting out of bed) thankfully stiffer than usual and some bruises but no skin or bone breaks .
    Pretty much on plan and 14 sins .
    Was horrified when I looked up the sins of Belvita breakfast biscuits .definitely no more .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jan 19, 11:03 PM
    • 61,876 Posts
    • 265,205 Thanks
    beanielou
    Love hearing and seeing all the menus,think I've got too boring ,must try some different things.
    Quiet day here ,after spending an hour at 4 am getting DH off the floor ( he has Parkinson's and fell getting out of bed) thankfully stiffer than usual and some bruises but no skin or bone breaks .
    Pretty much on plan and 14 sins .
    Was horrified when I looked up the sins of Belvita breakfast biscuits .definitely no more .
    Originally posted by Suffolksue
    Well done on keeping to your syns.
    Glad that your DH is ok.

***Keep plodding***
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 14th Jan 19, 11:11 AM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 12,836 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Been totally knocked out the last week with flu. Starting to feel human again now, but no weigh in last week, and I have had miles too much soup, toast and porridge along with lemsips and sore throat and cough sweets and not enough speed so tomorrows weigh in wont be good.

Managed yesterday almost on plan, and feel up to properly being on plan today.

Today's plan:
    Breakfast - yogurt and fruit
    Lunch - noodles, chicken and veg
    Dinner - Mexican chicken, rice and salad
    Snacks - fruit and sf jelly

HAs - milk and cheese
    HB - sesame seeds

Syns - coconut (2), jelly (0.5), miso (0.5)
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 49 lb
    Last updated: 27th November 2018
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Jan 19, 12:04 PM
    • 19,349 Posts
    • 115,889 Thanks
    maman
    Good to see you kathrynha and good to hear you're on the mend. Lemsip is a poor substitute for Speed.

Had a good trip out with OH today, and he's a happy bunny with his winnings from ebay that we collected. We did well eating on the road, and both ate healthily - hurrah!
    Originally posted by sarymclary

Seems we had a very similar day yesterday sary. Glad we both managed to eat healthily while we were out. It's not easy. Sorry to hear about your DH suffolksue. I ended up in your neck of the woods yesterday.

I've got plenty of syns left for the next three days (30+) although no real plans to use many. I'm hoping to see another loss on Thursday morning then I'll stay away until after my holiday next month. Were out to lunch on Thursday and Afternoon Tea next Sunday so next week's not going to be so easy. Did I just imply SW was easy??

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB toast, baked beans, 2 fried eggs, HEA milk for drinks
    L: lentil and veg soup
    D: chicken casserole (carrots, onion, leeks, celery, mushrooms, courgette, butter beans) with new potatoes, cauli and broccoli
    Syns: cornflour 1
    • TheTalkingDead
    • By TheTalkingDead 14th Jan 19, 1:03 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    TheTalkingDead
    School run this morning so only got to grab a banana and apple before setting off.

Came back had to rush the wife to the emergency dentist.
    Grabbed a pear and nectarine to go and a 7up free with lemon and lime slices in my big water bottle.

Came home, cooked Beans 4 eggs and 2 toast, 2 pears and another nectarine and a full punnet of strawberries for desert.

I did hot chicken bites in salad last night, Just fried up some diced chicken, with pepper and chilli powder, salt and crushed garlic clove. Boiled baby potatoes and lots of salad stuff like red onions, spring onion, mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, radish, cucumber mixed up in a bowl.

Was lovely and filling.

Both me and my wife have weigh in tonight, must say I am nervous this time round and I don't know why?

I'm going to have to start taking calcium supplements soon, I don't eat yogurt products (never have) and am T-total so no Coffee or Tea, I got my calcium from food produce such as cheese's and now this needs to be reduced, I think I'm going to have to speak with my doctor about that, didn't occur to me last time I was reducing my calcium intake, osteoporosis is in the family as well as degenerative discs, I have the onset of degenerative disc disease already, well that's enough of my list of medical complaints, any more and you guys will be ringing the vet to put this poor dog down!
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 14th Jan 19, 1:22 PM
    • 4,004 Posts
    • 5,443 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Lost 2lb 11oz, hurrah! Maybe there is something to this no drinking and snacking malarky.

I'm feeling rotten today and really struggled with my run yesterday, but that may have been down to me coming down with a sore throat.

B - Coffee

L - Tete's pasta carbonara (I take it back Tete, the second portion went down a treat this lunchtime!)

WW Yogurt

Hula Hoop Puffs

D - Pork casserole (mum's leftovers - another reason why I find it hard to syn accurately. I'm not going to turn down pork casserole, am I?

S - Tea
    Alpen Bar or the like.
    Halls Soothers
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2018) - £169,999.96
    (End 2019) - Target £160,000
    • esmy
    • By esmy 14th Jan 19, 1:47 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 4,823 Thanks
    esmy
    Afternoon everyone.

Well done got2dothisnow and Pollyanna. Good losses there.
    Good to see you Kathrynha - glad you're on the mend. We've had that fluey bug here (me and DD) - luckily OH didn't get it as we'd never have heard the end of it!

Todays menu
    B Bran flakes, berries, 0% yoghurt and honey
    L HM cauli and broccoli soup, Greek salad, (2 for olive oil, 1 for olives). I'm counting the feta as HEA 2 - bit of a cheat because I'm not really following the new plan, but I will when it suits! Large orange.
    D Veggie speedy chilli, might have mine with a JP rather than rice.

Has anyone made the PON chicken zinger burgers? I'd like to try these later in the week.

Good luck to those weighing in today.
    • sarymclary
    • By sarymclary 14th Jan 19, 2:45 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    sarymclary
    Happy weigh in Sary
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanie, you can tell I was tired last night though because WI is actually on Tuesday! I think it's because I used to always have WI on a Monday, but due to the first day of 2019 being Tuesday, that's what I'm going with this year. So, WI tomorrow

I did my shopping in Morrisons yesterday and was really shocked at some of the high prices of things, but I guess that's because I tend to shop around, and have got used to using Lidl and Heron for so much. I did buy some of their frozen Counted meals - anyone got access to the app/online to find out how many syns are in the Bolognese, tikka masala and sweet & sour chicken. Syn values will determine whether I eat them or get donated to OH or DS.

Food today is:
    B - banana
    L - porridge HEB & splash milk from HEA
    D - slow cooker beef with veggies
    snacks- nectarine; apricots; satsuma
    One day the clocks will stop, and time won't mean a thing

Be nice to your children, they'll choose your care home
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 14th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 12,836 Thanks
    kathrynha
    I did buy some of their frozen Counted meals - anyone got access to the app/online to find out how many syns are in the Bolognese, tikka masala and sweet & sour chicken. Syn values will determine whether I eat them or get donated to OH or DS.
    Bolognese - 4.5
    Tikka masala - 6.5
    Sweet and sour - 5.5
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 49 lb
    Last updated: 27th November 2018
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 14th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    • 4,004 Posts
    • 5,443 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Thanks Beanie, you can tell I was tired last night though because WI is actually on Tuesday! I think it's because I used to always have WI on a Monday, but due to the first day of 2019 being Tuesday, that's what I'm going with this year. So, WI tomorrow

I did my shopping in Morrisons yesterday and was really shocked at some of the high prices of things, but I guess that's because I tend to shop around, and have got used to using Lidl and Heron for so much. I did buy some of their frozen Counted meals - anyone got access to the app/online to find out how many syns are in the Bolognese, tikka masala and sweet & sour chicken. Syn values will determine whether I eat them or get donated to OH or DS.

Food today is:
    B - banana
    L - porridge HEB & splash milk from HEA
    D - slow cooker beef with veggies
    snacks- nectarine; apricots; satsuma
    Random point, but I noticed the exact same re Morrisons. I know prices go up, but some things the increase is scary.

Potatoes from £1.20 to £1.30 and now £1.50 in the matter of weeks.

Same for drinking yogurts - £2 to £2.30 to £2.45 again in a few weeks.

And I'm sure there are more. These are just a couple that I noticed.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2018) - £169,999.96
    (End 2019) - Target £160,000
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Jan 19, 3:34 PM
    • 19,349 Posts
    • 115,889 Thanks
    maman
    Well done pollyanna . That's a great result!. Do you know how your mum makes the casserole? If you make sure you only eat lean meat, it could be as little as some flour /cornflour and perhaps some oil to syn. My casserole today is just 1 syn for the cornflour but I've used Frylight.

Good luck with WI talking dead . . Not sure why teetotal means no tea or coffee but I'm sure you understand. Would you drink milk or have cereal or porage? If you like them then tinned salmon and sardines are rich in calcium and also some veg like kale and spinach. HTH

ETA : cottage cheese is high in calcium too. I had some at lunchtime with a small JP, was too hungry to just have soup.
    Last edited by maman; 14-01-2019 at 3:38 PM.
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 14th Jan 19, 5:09 PM
    • 6,954 Posts
    • 32,153 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Hello all,

Glad the carbonara improved on the second go Pollyanna

Glad you're feeling better Kathrynha and your DH is OK SuffolkSue.

Meat free Monday again here:
    B - Porridge with cinnamon and blueberries
    D - Carrot, sweet potato and lentil soup
    T - Salad starter, then Quorn nuggets and beans (using bits up!)
    HEA - Milk
    HEB - Oats
    Syns - Sugar in coffee and porridge (5), nuggets (3.5), hot chocolate (2) = 10.5
    Exercise - C25K Week 2 Run 1

Had a meeting with an employment agency this morning and she was very positive and seemed to be confident that something suitable would come up soon, so I feel half happy and relieved, and half skeptical that she was just full of hot air.

Must do a proper meal plan tomorrow for the rest of the week.
    Slimming into Spring: 0/10 | Total loss: 7 lbs
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 14th Jan 19, 5:23 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 3,465 Thanks
    Stoke
    Good Luck everyone. I'm sure you'll have a good weigh-in.

Last week was supposed to be my "get back on the horse after Christmas" week. Didn't happen, unfortunately. So I've decided not to weigh-in tomorrow. I wasn't committed last week, therefore I'd only be lying if I said otherwise to the group tomorrow.

This week however.... I'm back and I'm not messing about. Good start yesterday although I had some mildly unhealthy food for lunch I suspect it was within any syn allowance I get as target and I've already had a very healthy day today with a couple of rice cakes for breakfast, mackerel and salad for lunch and a banana and nectarine as my two snacks. I don't tend to eat tea on a Monday because after playing football, I tend to have no appetite. I've been told this isn't actually such a smart thing to do in practice, but I don't see a problem really.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,748Posts Today

6,969Users online

Martin's Twitter