Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ThisSucks
    • By ThisSucks 29th Dec 18, 6:14 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 16Thanks
    ThisSucks
    Urgently need advice. Considering suicide :(
    • 29th Dec 18, 6:14 PM
    Urgently need advice. Considering suicide :( 29th Dec 18 at 6:14 PM
    Following serious mental health issues that have had me in and out of hospital for the past year, I fell into serious rental arrears. My partner left me facing the entire rent alone and without an income.
    Fast-forward.... I was just starting to get back on my feet in terms of my health. Moved into a new, affordable property. My support worker had been helping me come up with a repayment plan for the rental arrears on the old place. Now received a "Statutory Demand" from the property company at the old place telling me they are applying to make me bankrupt.

I know absolutely nothing about bankruptcy. Can anyone let me know how it would affect my life and what I should do next?

I'm on virtually no income at all....as I am still not well enough to go back to my old job. I can only just barely afford to eat and keep utilities on. I don't own a car, property or any assets.

What would anyone advise doing next? The amount owed is around 7,000.

If I am made bankrupt, will they take the clothes off my back?

How would an IVA differ and would that be something I could request instead?
Page 3
    • ThisSucks
    • By ThisSucks 13th Jan 19, 12:12 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ThisSucks
    Well you've most certainly cheered me up mate. I was laughing out loud as I read through your comment.
    Actually the idea of buying an extra 3 months or so is a very good idea.
    It gives me time to possibly reduce the debt down to below 5k.
    I'm going to explore selling stuff on eBay, carboot sales etc.
    I thought I'd already sold everything of value, but not necessarily.
    I'm going to pull out all the stops to make extra cash and see what I can come up with.
    I won't be absconding abroad though LOL!

{Edited by Forum Team}
    Originally posted by BabylonBear
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 14-01-2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: {Edited by Forum Team}
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 13th Jan 19, 12:32 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 1,564 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    Thank goodness the O.P had the good sense to treat this with a pinch of salt!!
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 14th Jan 19, 10:42 AM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 1,564 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    You're just jealous that you had to pay your debts but I didn't...
    Originally posted by BabylonBear
    I would normally not rise to this but......on this board we have many qualified debt advisers who give their time to help and support.
    We would never tell anyone to lie, hide assets etc.
    The O.P is in a fragile situation and I am so pleased they took your "advice" with humour.

You have no idea of my situation and I can promise you I have never been jealous of anyone in my life.

Hopefully we can get this thread back on track.
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 14th Jan 19, 12:39 PM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 7,676 Thanks
    JCS1
    So it's difficult to see how the property company would benefit from this at all then?
    They are extremely unpleasant people but even so, I'm not sure they'd choose bankruptcy just out of pure spite. They must imagine this benefits them in some way?
    Originally posted by ThisSucks

Some companies do it as a way of closing their file, HMRC used to do this too.
    • Creetown Billy
    • By Creetown Billy 14th Jan 19, 2:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Creetown Billy
    Mate, DO NOT do it , there's always a way out.
    Talk.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,796Posts Today

8,463Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin