Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dragonlily
    • By dragonlily 29th Dec 18, 4:12 PM
    • 181Posts
    • 1,589Thanks
    dragonlily
    Steps towards zero waste - 2019
    • 29th Dec 18, 4:12 PM
    Steps towards zero waste - 2019 29th Dec 18 at 4:12 PM
    Through 2018 I have been reading a lot about the impact of our waste on the environment. I have made a couple of small changes but seeing our bulging bins at the end of Christmas isn't good! It is a little odd as once you start thinking about excessive packaging you see just how much of it there is everywhere!

I don't think I am going to be able to completely change overnight but every little has got to help, and ironically I think old style ways of living, are well suited to doing this. If anybody else is interested in setting goals to work on reducing waste, buying more consciously and generally being fabulous in 2019 do join in. PS - I did a search for a post about this and couldn't see one, so if I have missed it, lmk and I'll move on over there

x
Page 17
    • pinkladyvenus
    • By pinkladyvenus 12th Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    pinkladyvenus
    Just seen this on BBC news what a good idea

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/47880558/would-you-sort-your-rubbish-into-seven-different-bags
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
    • Catbells
    • By Catbells 12th Apr 19, 8:37 AM
    • 754 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    Catbells
    [QUOTE=dragonlily;75241861 PS - I did a search for a post about this and couldn't see one, so if I have missed it, lmk and I'll move on over there

x[/QUOTE]

Yes I also was looking for thread on this. One or two started a while ago but dried up. This one seemed to be best fit.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Apr 19, 6:45 PM
    • 12,486 Posts
    • 240,460 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've just got an Optimus titaniaum spork from a chazzer for 20p. Have just used it to eat soup (perfectly fine) will trial it in fork-function before making it a little cloth pouch to be carried in my handbag for those al fresco or al desko dining moments. Very pleased. It was hiding in a jumble of mixed cutlery in a big box. Never again shall disposable cutlery be needed in my world.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 12th Apr 19, 7:30 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    I save glass jars, of all sizes and shapes. I do make (Mamade) marmalade, and various hedgerow jams, but we are using less now there are only two of us. But I can't get out of the habit of saving all these beautiful jars. This morning the allocated space was full with 34 jars.

My hoarding cupboard being full, I notified our local fb page, and a lovely young lady has just collected them all. She works for a local Meals on Wheels service, and they use jars to provide trifles, pudding, layered cakes etc for delivery.

I'm so pleased, I know glass can be recycled, but these jars will be used without any wastage.It is the third 'collection' I have rehoused, they usually are snapped up by jam and pickle makers.
    • dollypeeps
    • By dollypeeps 13th Apr 19, 8:27 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    dollypeeps
    All slowing down here BUT a,positive note ihabent used or bought cling film since I started on this thread.

It's funny how quickly you adjust...thinking of different ways in which to store and transport food....is soon becomes second nature....

Dh and dd have also got on board with it and always ask where to put the rubbish .......less and less is going into our refuse bin and recycling is about the same so hope fully I'm cutting down on waste little by little ....

I ink my next step is to try and use the local market for loose fruit and veg...our local butcher does it as well as unpackaged meat obviously....but I need to weigh up costs as well...something I'm doing on the April grocery thread......

So hopefully my long term plan is to bring budget right back in or even better under so I can then be free to shop locally or at least at th market....

Cost is a major factor for us unfortunately so that needs to be taken into account...

Little by little,step by step.....
    mortgage now £2260 as of Apr 2019
    and no other debts

49items decluttered [/B]
    • Twiggy_34
    • By Twiggy_34 13th Apr 19, 11:29 AM
    • 675 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    Twiggy_34
    Hi dollypeeps.

One of the things I'm noticing is that, although having milk delivered to my doorstep is more expensive than buying from the shops, my supermarket visits are fewer and further between, so it is costing me less by cutting back on the excess goods you're tempted into buying very time you set foot in a supermarket (I think we're all guilty of this to some extent!).

Perhaps buying from butchers etc will have the same effect, helping to balance things out cost wise?

You're right about how the small changes start to make you think more and more about changes that can be made. I also think that taking one step at a time helps to manage the initial financial impact, with the long term benefit being lower overall costs as we acquire fewer single use items. Your reusable food transport being a good example, even if the savings aren't massive.
    £12k in 2019 #084 £1000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£122 (2013-2018 = £1542)
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 13th Apr 19, 12:14 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    I agree about the little steps. I haven't bought cling film for ages now. Also stopped buying kitchen roll about 3 months ago and have found I can live without it. I cut up loads of old tea shirts and towels and so have loads of cloths for various spillages and wiping down etc and then they all go in the wash. I also now refuse to buy pre packaged cold meats or bacon and have been buying fruit and veg from local Greengrocer for ages now. Thinking of getting a trolley though as I sometimes I find I end up taking the car to the village if I need a sack of potatoes, as I can't carry it all. I am scouring the local CS's and car boots.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £42,292 (26% paid)
    EF £280 Mortgage OP's this year £65

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• stirchleygirl
    • By stirchleygirl 14th Apr 19, 7:19 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    stirchleygirl
    Lovely to have a catch and read what you've all been doing - well done to all - every little helps.

I'm feeling quite ZW smug today as my Mum (who's in her mid 70's) phoned and asked what I want for Easter and for my birthday which is at the start of May. I then told her that I've been looking at ZW and perhaps she could buy me something (or give me money towards buying it) that will facilitate ZW (like a breadmaker, re-useable straws, soap nuts, shampoo bar etc...). Well she said - gosh that's fantastic as she's been watching all programmes on TV about the plastic in the sea and had commented to my Dad the amount of waste they put in the bin after doing a shop (as she decants most things straight away to save space) so she asked me for suggestions on what they can do - 1 hour later of talking to her and Dad about ZW stuff (incl. a g00gle search which found there is a ZW shop in Canterbury - which although a fair few miles from them they often have to go there for some of her hospital appointments - so whilst they wouldn't make a special trip going to it when already over there would be fine - so they are going next time she has an appointment). I sent them a few emails with links to some products and she is going to try shampoo bars, soap nuts and white vinegar for laundry, paper stem cotton buds and cut down on her wet wipe use by buying washable flannels (like me she can't get rid of wet wipes completely as she is disabled and sometimes need a wash to be super quick). I talked to her about plastic in tea bags (she is a big tea drinker) and she was shocked. So after the phone call I hopped on Amaz0n and purchased 2 x mug tea infusers https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infuser-Stainless-Strainer-Handles-Hanging/dp/B07JMZD9H3/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Tea+Infuser+304+Stainless+Stee l+Teapot+Mesh+Strainer+Double+Handles&qid=15552692 79&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rnid=419157031&rps =1&s=gateway&sr=8-1 to be delivered to them as an Easter gift and then ordered 2 more for my sister & her husband - again for easter - better than a chocolate egg!!! I also ordered one for myself and asked Mum to transfer the money to my account so that is their easter gift to me.
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 15th Apr 19, 9:34 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    Lovely to have a catch and read what you've all been doing - well done to all - every little helps.

I'm feeling quite ZW smug today as my Mum (who's in her mid 70's) phoned and asked what I want for Easter and for my birthday which is at the start of May. I then told her that I've been looking at ZW and perhaps she could buy me something (or give me money towards buying it) that will facilitate ZW (like a breadmaker, re-useable straws, soap nuts, shampoo bar etc...). Well she said - gosh that's fantastic as she's been watching all programmes on TV about the plastic in the sea and had commented to my Dad the amount of waste they put in the bin after doing a shop (as she decants most things straight away to save space) so she asked me for suggestions on what they can do - 1 hour later of talking to her and Dad about ZW stuff (incl. a g00gle search which found there is a ZW shop in Canterbury - which although a fair few miles from them they often have to go there for some of her hospital appointments - so whilst they wouldn't make a special trip going to it when already over there would be fine - so they are going next time she has an appointment). I sent them a few emails with links to some products and she is going to try shampoo bars, soap nuts and white vinegar for laundry, paper stem cotton buds and cut down on her wet wipe use by buying washable flannels (like me she can't get rid of wet wipes completely as she is disabled and sometimes need a wash to be super quick). I talked to her about plastic in tea bags (she is a big tea drinker) and she was shocked. So after the phone call I hopped on Amaz0n and purchased 2 x mug tea infusers https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infuser-Stainless-Strainer-Handles-Hanging/dp/B07JMZD9H3/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Tea+Infuser+304+Stainless+Stee l+Teapot+Mesh+Strainer+Double+Handles&qid=15552692 79&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rnid=419157031&rps =1&s=gateway&sr=8-1 to be delivered to them as an Easter gift and then ordered 2 more for my sister & her husband - again for easter - better than a chocolate egg!!! I also ordered one for myself and asked Mum to transfer the money to my account so that is their easter gift to me.
    Originally posted by stirchleygirl

Amazing. x
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £42,292 (26% paid)
    EF £280 Mortgage OP's this year £65

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• Catbells
    • By Catbells 15th Apr 19, 4:44 PM
    • 754 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    Catbells
    Just went into Waitrose and they are selling beeswax covers of varying sizes which can be reused. BUT they cost from £14 - £19 so I held off buying them for this reason. You must be able to get them elsewhere for less.
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 16th Apr 19, 7:50 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    Working Mum
    I bought 3 beeswax covers for £7.77 from fleabay Catbells - they're 20cm x 20cm and I have used them loads in mt fridge to cover food in bowls etc - it's a bit weird initially as you cannot see what's in the bowl BUT they seal brilliantly and are easy to clean.

I may get a larger one but this size seems to be working for what I would have previously clingfilmed and popped in the fridge!
    • dollypeeps
    • By dollypeeps 16th Apr 19, 1:10 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    dollypeeps
    I bought 3 beeswax covers for £7.77 from fleabay Catbells - they're 20cm x 20cm and I have used them loads in mt fridge to cover food in bowls etc - it's a bit weird initially as you cannot see what's in the bowl BUT they seal brilliantly and are easy to clean.

I may get a larger one but this size seems to be working for what I would have previously clingfilmed and popped in the fridge!
    Originally posted by Working Mum
    Would that sure be suitable for rolls or sandwiches?

I'd like to try them and primarily for that purpose but the cost really puts me off.
    and no other debts

49items decluttered [/B]
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 16th Apr 19, 3:16 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    Working Mum
    Hi dollypeeps,
    They do not smell or anything so I would say they'd be fine for sandwiches. They are quite stiff when you first get them but soften with the warmth of your hands.

Would grease-proof paper be an option to wrap sandwiches in?? It is recyclable and compostable.
    • Twiggy_34
    • By Twiggy_34 16th Apr 19, 5:40 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    Twiggy_34
    I used my beeswax wraps for sandwiches at the weekend, I used some string (which i will save and reuse for next time) to make sure everything stayed in place. They were fine when I got to eat them about 3 hours later.
    • dollypeeps
    • By dollypeeps 17th Apr 19, 8:36 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    dollypeeps
    Hi dollypeeps,
    They do not smell or anything so I would say they'd be fine for sandwiches. They are quite stiff when you first get them but soften with the warmth of your hands.

Would grease-proof paper be an option to wrap sandwiches in?? It is recyclable and compostable.
    Originally posted by Working Mum
    Thanks for that.

I have to admit that cost is putting me off at the moment!

Yes I do use grease proof paper from time to time.... well itís baking paper but same really I suppose .... perhaps weigh up the cost of regular purchase of that against a one off purchase of beeswax wraps....

Have a lovely day x
    and no other debts

49items decluttered [/B]
    • dollypeeps
    • By dollypeeps 17th Apr 19, 8:39 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    dollypeeps
    I used my beeswax wraps for sandwiches at the weekend, I used some string (which i will save and reuse for next time) to make sure everything stayed in place. They were fine when I got to eat them about 3 hours later.
    Originally posted by Twiggy_34
    Thatís good to know Twiggy.... I never know if theyíre fresh enough.... I do ask the fam when they home and they always say theirs were fine so can only take their word for it....

Do they not stick or stay folded then? You need some sort of fastening?

Have a lovely day x
    and no other debts

49items decluttered [/B]
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 17th Apr 19, 1:04 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    To fasten wrapped sandwiches, I use those nice green rubber bands from supermarket bunches of scallions and radishes. I use breakfast cereal box lining bags to wrap.
    • Twiggy_34
    • By Twiggy_34 17th Apr 19, 7:20 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    Twiggy_34
    Hi Dollypeeps. I guess it depends on how they're being transported. As mine were going to be rumbling around in my backpack I thought the string was a good idea. They do stay folded quite well, but the final "flap/fold" could easily be displaced I think. Perhaps it depends on your origami skills?!

In terms of long term cost effectiveness I think ill buy some beeswax and have a go at re-waxing the original fabric myself. I think it's mainly the deterioration of the wax over time that makes them less viable in the long term, but I'm sure the fabric could be made to last quite a good length of time if topped up with wax when needed.
    • dollypeeps
    • By dollypeeps 18th Apr 19, 1:35 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    dollypeeps
    Hi Dollypeeps. I guess it depends on how they're being transported. As mine were going to be rumbling around in my backpack I thought the string was a good idea. They do stay folded quite well, but the final "flap/fold" could easily be displaced I think. Perhaps it depends on your origami skills?!

In terms of long term cost effectiveness I think ill buy some beeswax and have a go at re-waxing the original fabric myself. I think it's mainly the deterioration of the wax over time that makes them less viable in the long term, but I'm sure the fabric could be made to last quite a good length of time if topped up with wax when needed.
    Originally posted by Twiggy_34
    Lol my origami skills leave a lot to be desired!!! I thought they may self stick or something. I can certainly see why you'd need a fastening in a ruck sack ....my family put their sandwiches in their lunch boxes so should, in theory, hold fast.
    and no other debts

49items decluttered [/B]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,405Posts Today

4,307Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin